Pregnant with #1 in our 30s August - Page 19 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#541 of 552 Old 08-31-2007, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alex, thanks for sharing your story. I second CJ -- you are one strong mama! Layla is gorgeous. Congrats again.
#542 of 552 Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 PM

Alex... she's just gorgeous, congratulations! Love the last picture... bet she's got a set of lungs on her...

Dee... I think I'll try the benadryl cream... I took a benadryl pill today (MW said ok) and forgot how sleepy they make me so I slept all afternoon after we got home. Helped the itching though, but I will stick to the cream from now on. Sorry you're dealing with swelling too... DH and I are going to have to get me another wedding band (just a cheapie one) for the rest of my pregnancy, my formerly loose ring is getting tight. Fire ants? Ow, ow, OW! The things we go through for our doggies.
#543 of 552 Old 08-31-2007, 08:43 PM

Alex, she's just beautiful. I have to admit that I started to read the story and then decided to wait until after I have my own!

I'm really happy for you - thanks so much for the pictures!
#544 of 552 Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 PM

Alex, you're amazing! Thanks for posting yoru birth story. Layla is so precious!! Love all the pictures!

No baby on my end, but my guess is Emily has her little one already, since we haven't heard from her!
#545 of 552 Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 PM

plummum, ugh! the dreaded hosp induction! my aunt had 4 babes with pitocin and felt triumphant about her natural hosp births! best of luck to you. i was so afraid of going "overdue" -- a fear we all share.

hazieluna, DD has my last name, not DH's. I am so proud and thought it was very feminist of him to recognize that the whole patrilineal naming thing was arbitrary and buck the trend.
#546 of 552 Old 08-31-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post

I mentioned to DH that I really want to get stuff together this weekend (getting all the stuff we didn't get at the shower, putting up the shelves in the baby's room, begin packing the hospital bag, etc.). He was totally confused about why, so I said "I'll be 36 weeks next Tuesday." He's know where I am all along, but he got this glazed look and said "really?!" It's hitting him that we're getting close!
I remember this moment with my DH -- it happened when I used the words "full term." Try it: it elicits a response!
#547 of 552 Old 09-01-2007, 06:34 AM

Okay so still no news from Emily... I'm with you Becky, she's in total babymoon and has completely forgotten to update us!

Alex - wow. Just wow. I find it interesting that you can write your experience so lightheartedly and bow to natural birth - haha... it seems you did the hard bit naturally. Anyway Layla is beautiful and that last picture is hilarious. I'm glad that you little family is doing so well. Good luck with finding a comfy sitting position. I heard wearing frozen lunapads (or similar) can really help alleviate the pain.

Lane - sucks about GBS but I read somewhere here that it can change from day to day. Was it on this thread? I think when I asked what GBS was... if it's so dangerous why don't they test here? I'm going to ask my midwife next week.

Dee - I like the idea that I look like kermit the frog on a bike! Too funny! Good luck with the breath right strips I hope that works out okay.

Grace and PiePie - I kept my name. In Spain traditionally you keep your name for life. As a feminist I like this tradition and really I hated the idea of learning to sign a different name. I'm all for the baby having my last name, I'm really attached to it. It is very unique and everyone with it is family which is cool. Also my brother was the last of the line from our whole branch so when he died, me and my sisters decided to try and give our children our last name. Then since my DH's Dad left when DH was 4 and DH doesn't have any real connection with him he is fine not passing along his last name. So yeah all this was discussed a long time ago and decided. Now you may understand why City Hall melt down was so weird.... I guess it will be another 'When your Mom was pregnant with you... ' story!!

Come on Becky! You're next.... girls tend to go overdue though, at least that's what I've heard.

I hoping to have the baby this coming week - of course I haven't even had BH as far as I know...

Grace - good luck with your rash, sounds uncomfortable. It's nice to hear all about my old stomping ground. I lived in DC for almost 10 years and drove route 50 to Delaware (where my parents lived at the time) so many times I can do it with my eyes closed. I would love to stop in Annapolis and have a Fuddrucker burger - ahhh the things you miss.
#548 of 552 Old 09-01-2007, 01:02 PM

I kept my name and thought it would be cool to give the baby my name, but DP wants her to have his. I think he gets the arbitrary patrilineal angle thing; I think for him it's about forging a connection. I've had baby in my body for months and months and I think for him the name is his way of trying to have a little bit of that. I haven't pushed the issue because I don't feel that strongly about it (and also because his last name is WAY more unusual; mine's rather common and I'm not esp. attached to it or anything)... but I feel twinges of regret about it sometimes. (Also, I feel like it harms my feminist cred, and I hate that I think things like that. I got really ranted at for not insisting on my name by a gender studies prof, actually. But whatever; it's our kid not hers.) My name will be in there as the second middle name probably but that's so awkward, rhythmically.

Natalia -- I can't believe you can still ride a bike. I last rode a bike in MAY and it hurt. Roads really rutted, though.

Thanks for sympathy about GBS. I think I felt bad because I'm a good student and I hate to "fail" tests. In a way it's good, though. I think I've had sort of naive confidence since I'm not having any problems, eat well, etc. This is like a reminder about how much of this is outside of my control, about how I need to cultivate not just confidence, but strength to accept circumstances I may not like. (Though of course I'm relieved by how tiny the chances of it causing problems are.)

It's September! My baby is due THIS month! OMG!

(Patiently waiting for baby news...)
#549 of 552 Old 09-01-2007, 03:30 PM

OMG Lane, this month? I have to check the EDD list. Wow.

On the name change: I changed my last name when I got married cuz I HATED my name! Still, it's weird when people call me Mrs. Cox, I feel like they're not addressing me, they're addressing Paul's wife. It's bizarre. Maybe in time I'll get used to it, but I also feel like I sacrificed a little of myself to do it. It's just, it was my dad's name, ya know, and he, and his side of the family, are horrible people, they really are. So although I built my career with that last name, it hasn't been THAT difficult to give it up because I feel like I'm also shedding so much of the past along with it. In fact, my brother said this morning he's taking suggestions for new last names for him! (He hates it too!) Still, I don't feel like "Mrs. Cox" is me, I feel like it's Paul's mom or something. It will certainly make it easier on our kids that we all have the same name though. That said, if I'd liked my last name or even my dad, I'd have had a hard time deciding whether to change, and I probably wouldn't have.
#550 of 552 Old 09-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~minnow~ View Post
Thanks for sympathy about GBS. I think I felt bad because I'm a good student and I hate to "fail" tests. In a way it's good, though. I think I've had sort of naive confidence since I'm not having any problems, eat well, etc. This is like a reminder about how much of this is outside of my control, about how I need to cultivate not just confidence, but strength to accept circumstances I may not like. (Though of course I'm relieved by how tiny the chances of it causing problems are.)
I had the same reaction about failing the test. I comforted myself by reminding myself that if I had to "fail" a prenatal test, this was the one to fail -- nothing bad in the u/s, blood tests, diabetes test, urine tests, etc. -- all of which would have had more serious consequences for DD.
#551 of 552 Old 09-01-2007, 03:56 PM

i'm trying not to be worried about emily, but i am. i know she said her dh was bringing his computer to the bc.
#552 of 552 Old 09-01-2007, 06:10 PM

Please see here for September thread.

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page