Pregnant with #1 in our 30s August - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Elizabeth I thought that pee smell thing was just me! Or maybe the insane amounts of iron I take? I guess it's normal though & you're not the only one. Phew!

Emily how exciting - the baby dropped! DH gets back in town tonight? So any time after that is fine? Wow! Can you feel a difference? I guess it's hard to imagine peeing more than you do, but can you breathe better now? My boobs started leaking yesterday too! It's so neat but now they ache again like they did in the early first tri. Thank goodness there's just a tiny bit - I don't want to start wearing breast pads quite yet.

Natalia I loved your nesting story. I'm sure mine will be similar in a couple months! I'm still in the same disaster of an apartment that I was complaining about a while ago, and the anemia/fatigue isn't getting better. I swept cobwebs off the ceiling the other day and I'm anxious to buy baby stuff, but that's about all the nesting I've done.

Julia I've heard different things about the Baby Bjorn. As much as I love saying Swedish words, I think I'm going to stay away from structured slings (even tho I hear great things about Ergo). I've heard the Maya wrap is much less daunting than it first appears, and it's great in the beginning b/c you can just wear it all the time and pop the baby in & out.

Whoever had showers: what did you get, mostly? Did people use your registry? I'm seriously itching to buy the "big" baby stuff - car seat, pack n play, stroller, etc. I'm guessing showers are mostly about clothes and towels, but I'm wondering if I should leave open the option of bigger stuff for the two (tiny) showers I'll eventually have. Actually, I expect that they'll be less like showers and more like "here's a gift from us."

Still thinking of PiePie too! I hope the labor is easy and doesn't require transfer to the hospital. :

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#242 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Cool, Emily! I waws wondering when that would start happening for me, guess it'll be a few months!
Dude, for me it was NINETEEN WEEKS.
#243 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 AM

Morning! I didn't really expect there to be an update from PiePie, but of course I had to check just to see. Now you see my priorities: check the thread first, dissertation second. Continuing to unpack... a distant third.

Yesterday we bought a queen size mattress set, which we'll sit on the floor like our full-size mattress set is currently. We had agreed on this one good but unfancy model on sale for a reasonable-ish price, but my hips hurt so much that I was sorely tempted to go up to the plush model for a few hundred more! But DH talked me out of it. However, then I did spend $15 for a twin-size piece of memory foam at Target for my side of the bed. It's nice. Anyway, the bed is being delivered today, and now I feel like we have enough room to co-sleep, so I'm feeling that much closer to being ready.

Going back a few pages, congratulations to Judy! on making it to 12 weeks with the heartbeat. What a great milestone. I don't remember, are you having m/s? Mine went on a few weeks past 12, but I was still happy to get to 12.

SarahJen, congratulations on feeling movement! That is very exciting! (Oh man, just wait till you feel what it's like when the baby gets bigger.) I echo what others said about finding out the sex, which is that if you have a feeling/preference, it might be a good idea. I felt ambivalent about finding out around the time of my u/s, but I was feeling/leaning toward girl so I decided to find out so as not to be too attached to an idea. Plus, it's been nice to call her "her" instead of "it," especially in these latter weeks when she's such a presence and DH talk about her a lot. (There is the tiny nagging fear, however, that the u/s was wrong!)

EMILY! You are getting so close. And you've about made it through DH's trip. (You must be relieved!) I'm so very excited. I guess we're to the point in this thread where we're on constant baby watch for the next six weeks! Keep us posted with all the details.

I can't wait to see you all on our Life with a Babe thread.

Rebecca and Elizabeth, how very interesting to read about the differing hcg levels of vegetarians. I have no idea what my levels were/are, but I certainly had m/s (despite eating lots of protein). It is still weird for me that I cannot call myself "vegetarian" right now, as I have eaten turkey and chicken salad sandwiches regularly throughout the last seven months. I will be interested to note when/if I'm able to transition back to my "regular" diet... probably sometime after I'm not breastfeeding full time.

Can I share a shameful secret, which is that I haven't gained any weight in, oh, a month or more? I keep fluctuating up and down a pound or two right at the same point. My midwife isn't "worried," but she had wanted me to put on more fat so as to have stores for breastfeeding. I feel like my metabolism has kicked into some kind of weird mega gear and just burns up all the calories I put in. I know, I know, this is "lucky," but it's really hard for me to deal with eating right now; no room and picky stomach, but also I'm always on the edge of being STARVING. I spend sixty percent of my time either buying, preparing, or eating food.

Natalia, I so related to your nesting story. It is HARD to get all the way through a project!

Dee, I didn't get a lot from my registry, and I got hardly ANY practical items. (No diapers, no stroller, etc.) I got a gorgeous sling we registered for, and I got a couple of things I love and registered for but wouldn't have bought myself: a pink stuffed rabbit, a fancy lambswool baby comforter I can't wait to let her lay on in front of the fire (it looks kinda like a little white bear rug). Everyone went OFF the registry for clothes and blankets and got (girly) stuff I don't like, but they cut the tags off so we can't return them. I think if there's something you're dying to buy and no one has told you they're getting it, go for it but keep the receipt. If you HAPPEN to get a duplicate, you can return one.
#244 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 11:30 AM

I'm taking a break from my kitchen project... I've managed to move all the food to the table (yes instead of putting it all back into the cabinets that are already clean ) so I could at least make myself some lunch today. A word to the wise don't start massive cleaning at 36 weeks! It's just out of control and I have to sit down every 10 minutes for a break... so progress is slllllllllooooowwwwww.

So I wanted to see if PiePie had gotten around while birthing to update us... or at least if her DH had posted an update. Is it unreasonable to feel jipped that she hasn't!!! I know I know... imagine what my DH is dealing with...

Okay back to the hellish nesting.
#245 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 11:58 AM

Emily - EPO 24/7. I think we're allowed to take up to 2500mg a day. I am too weary about using it internally though. Agreed on the walking thing especially up the stairs. I am just like telling the baby please please please come earlier. Mommy doesn't want surgery. And OMG nipple leakage! God help me I've been wearing nursing pads for months now. Nothing is as crazy as seeing colostrum for the first time. I totally freaked out. Have you gone nursing bra shopping yet? It's like the 7th circle of hell.

SarahJen - Finding out the gender thing is a tricky thing. I have known I have always wanted my first to be a surprise. But will probably find out for future ones. Though I have to say it's been brutally hard waiting to the end b/c calling the baby an "it" or a "they" has been annoying. That being said I am not one for pastel pink or blue so the clothing thing isn't an issue for me. Our nursery (aka the former den) is very bright and sunny and filled with multi-colours like red and blue and fuschia and bright green and yellow against white walls with all light pine furniture. So that way we can re-use a lot of the items for future kids. But if you're a planner and really want to get used to the idea of a son/daughter earlier, then by all means go for it.

Natalia - YAY for nesting (though I have to admit that word drives me insane b/c it makes me feel like a bird or something) but I hear you. I cleaned the living hell out of our apt last weekend. Now I think it's dirty again. You know you go crazy when you dig out the inside of the fridge too.

Lane - I'm jealous. I've packed on at LEAST 40lbs during this pregnancy.

Dee - no shower yet - they want to do that after the baby is born. And by that point I swear we'll have already bought everything. So I am telling my MIL to spread that word that Gift Cards to places like Costco and grocery stores and our drugstores would be much appreciated to take the costs of necessities for the baby like diapers etc off our backs. That would help so much!

Elizabeth - let me know how your labour inductions methods work. I keep reading about the castor oil and I keep thinking, do I, don't I??
#246 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 12:12 PM

Sorry I've been MIA. Actually I have just been lurking. I think it is a little strange for us in our 1st and early 2nd trimester to post. It seems like so many of you are so far ahead of us!

Jenn, thinking of you in this difficult time.

PiePie, I am anxiously awaiting news! So exciting!:

My SIL is already planning a baby shower for me. I think she has been waiting for this day. This shower will be in my hometown in AL, for mostly family. She has decided to make it a "gift card shower," so guests will be encouraged to buy gift cards, so I don't have to ship everything back to PA. At first, I felt a little weird about it, but it does make sense, and she said that she has been to that type of shower before. She is throwing it, so I leave it in her hands. I still hope I get some stuff, especially handmade. I have several crafty family members.

I think we will end up buying most of the big items, hopefully used. It is easier that way, because we have such a small room. I don't think average-sized furniture is going to fit. My DH is an architect (green, LEED-accredited), so he has already measured every inch of that room. He has even already ordered carpet samples! We are doing recycled, eco-friendly, carpet tiles. I think it will work great, especially because we can replace and clean by tile if it gets stained (and somehow, I am quite sure this will happen!) rather than having to replace the entire carpet.

I am all about buying items used or borrowing, because it is better for the environment, but I hoping that the grandparents will put their money together and splurge on this for us: http://www.babybox.com/nustro.html
I will give them hints, of course.

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
#247 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Dee: sorry you're having so much fatigue. So you're taking iron supplements...is it helping at all? As for the shower... do you have any rich friends who might take pity and buy you the bigger stuff... if there's a possibility of that, register for it... or like Lane said you can keep the receipts. I actually bought the evenflow travel system for my girlfriend Suzy last March cuz she couldn't afford it, no-one else had bought it for her, and baby was due and they didn't have a carseat to bring her home in! So if you have some rich, or just generous (in my case) friends... you never know! Can't hurt to register for it. Maybe some people will go in together to get the bigger items.

Lane: I remember now that you were having leaking early on... did it continue? This may be TMI but what the heck... my nips are looking kinda pink, and tender, like they're peeling back layers of skin or something? Did that happen first? I keep touching them cuz they feel so strange (after I check to see that the living room shades are down)! I loved my Target memory foam pad BTW...it doesn't fit on DH's bed since I moved in, but I did love it. He likes a harder mattress than I do, maybe I'll cut it down to size and put it on my side only. And I sympathize with the eating issues... I've suddenly gotten intolerant of most foods, and I can't eat much in one sitting anymore. I've been so thirsty, that by the time we sit down in a restaurant I have to drink three glasses of icewater, and then OOPS there's no room for food. Kinda gives you an idea of what gastric bypass surgery would feel like, right? Is the baby still growing, can they tell?

Natalia...your nesting is cracking me up. I'm dying to get my little fingers on the two bags of baby clothes I was given, to go through them and sort and clean, etc. but baby's future room is still a mess and we don't have a dresser for him yet! I'm a frustrated nester!

My insurance cut me off from seeing my chiro (reached the cap I didn't know I had) a few weeks ago, and boy I didn't realize how much he was helping me, cuz my back is a freaking WRECK. I was in tears last night cuz I was so frustrated. It seems like baby is suddenly started to grow fast, and between the uncomfortable stretching in my abs, the cramping of those muscles, the lower back ache and the burning sensation in the muscles in between my ribs... augh. I didn't have the lower back pain until two days ago when, oh-dear-god-what-was-I-thinking, I took the doggies for a half-hour walk. I stretched first, wore good shoes, and thought I'd die halfway into it from the RL pain, and now the lower back is mad still. I had a rough day yesterday.

DH and I had a silly little tiff last night (this almost never happens with us)... I was asking him to do a couple of things but he was tired and wanted to go to bed. He agreed but was all cranky about it, and I got upset. He came and apologized immediately when he saw how his crankiness upset me. Still it was weird cuz we just don't argue and I have a hard time realizing it's NORMAL for couples to do that. It's hard for me to remember, people get cranky, it's not like he was being nasty but I don't like moodiness in people (history there) so it makes me nervous, it's totally my stuff. But coupled in with the frustration that this is stuff I would normally be able to do if I weren't so preggo and my back weren't killing me, I was in tears. Augh. This is a hard time for couples, isn't that what you guys have been saying? The nice thing is that we always come out of the few tiffs that we do have with a better understanding of each other, so I feel ok about it now. Just wish I didn't have to rely on him so much. Grr.

Man I'm long-winded today! I think I'll go call my chiro and just pay out of pocket for now. Massage therapist is on vacation so at least I'm saving that money, I'll just give it to him.

Pie, how's it going? We're all waiting with baited breath!
#248 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 01:35 PM

I'm so happy I found this thread! Although it seems like a lot of people on it are rather farther along and I hope no one minds if I ask some questions which might be old news to them by now.

Is it normal not to feel pregnant all the time? I *knock on wood* haven't even had m/s symptoms yet although I was sleeping a lot the first couple weeks and felt rather nauseated for one week which I suspect was when the baby was implanting itself. I'm only about 4, maybe 5 weeks along now and while I'm still tired, I'm not as tired and my breasts aren't killing me like they were (although maybe I am getting used to them being bigger and sore). I know not everyone gets m/s and since I don't want to tell my Mum & sister until after I see the maternity doctor (or whatever she is called) on Sept. 6th I'm kinda confused as to what is going on.

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

#249 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Melanie. I think a lot of the new mamas are lurking in this thread (like me,lol). Check out the list on the first page. There are 4 or 5 April mamas here.

When I was about 5 weeks I honestly felt wonderful, my only symptoms were that I peed a lot and was hungry. I didn't have any breast tenderness and m/s didn't kick in until week 6.
#250 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 01:45 PM

Melanie, My m/s didn't start til about week 6, and didn't last that long either. Guess I was eating enough protein It's unnerving in the beginning before the symptoms really start, and then unnerving when they get better as you get into your second tri, but it's normal to feel that way. I'm sure you're fine. It's just weird early on when the pregnancy is still just a concept, rather than hard physical evidence. Don't worry!
#251 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 01:47 PM

meli-

I never had morning sickness and wasn't terribly tired in the first tri. Felt pretty darn good actually - I even remember a few days of EXTRA energy. It's not necessarily a problem, enjoy it!
your 'maternity doc' could be an OB (obstetrician) - just keep in mind you are basically interviewing her and want to find someone you feel comfortable with. You may also have the option of going to a midwife instead, and alot of folks on this thread have done that.

<just pretending I'm not on PIE-WATCH. Hope she's holding a sweet little babe right now>
#252 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Melanie,
I think it's perfectly normal to not feel pregnant. I don't even really know what it means to feel pregnant, and I'm 25 weeks along! (I do have crazy heartburn and the boy kicks me constantly, but aside from that...) I didn't have morning sickness, breast tenderness, bloating, fatigue, or any of the things you're supposed to have. If it weren't for the positive pregnancy test and the ultrasound showing there was really something in there, I wouldn't have believed it! (Seriously, I'm near the end of the second trimester, and my boobs haven't even gotten bigger!)

I know early in the first trimester it's hard to trust your body to be pregnant, but unless you experience any negative signs (bright red spotting accompanied by cramping), know that your baby is just settling in, its cells are dividing rapidly, and it's growing into the little person you're going to meet in April.
#253 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli-mello View Post
I'm so happy I found this thread! Although it seems like a lot of people on it are rather farther along and I hope no one minds if I ask some questions which might be old news to them by now.

Is it normal not to feel pregnant all the time? I
Welcome Meli! There are quite a few of us here that are just starting out. The 3rd tri's just seem to post more (hmm maybe be should work on outposting them!! LOL). Post as much as you need and maybe it will encourage others early on to post!

I still do not feel really pregnant at almost 13 weeks. The first 6 weeks all I felt was mild AF like cramps, then I got hit with the exhaustion which i'm still trying to get over. I had a few days of queasyness but usually only when I started to get hungry and then it went away after I ate. So, hopefully that will make you feel better. I know I worried all the time that I didn't "feel" pregnant!!
#254 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 02:20 PM

CJ -- ha! PIE WATCH 2007. I love it.

Alex, here's hoping we're on ALEX WATCH soon!

Julia, I don't remember exactly... the nips felt (and still often feel) a little itchy, kind of like they were getting ready to molt. But they never really did. I was worried it was going to be a regular torrent by this point but it isn't. From time to time they feel full and I sort of squeeze them in the shower. SORRY, TMI. But although I know that if I go without a bra I might get little spots on my shirt, I haven't needed breast pads or anything yet. Yes, go to your chiropractor! I hope you feel better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybama View Post
I am all about buying items used or borrowing, because it is better for the environment, but I hoping that the grandparents will put their money together and splurge on this for us: http://www.babybox.com/nustro.html
Awesome! I've tried to do this too -- Ebay is my friend and no, I'm not grossed out to use someone else's Boppy. I hope you get your chair, though.

Meli, just to add to what everyone else said, the other thing that can be freaky is if you DO start to have symptoms, sometimes they might go away. So one day you might just not feel "pregnant" even if you did yesterday. I freaked out when that happened but you don't need to.

I'm just getting used to not working so I might be jabbering a little extra much. Yeah, you lurkers feel free to try to out-talk us.
#255 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 02:23 PM

Meli - I didn't start to feel any ms until I was about 8 weeks and even then I'd have days where I felt like all my symptoms (sore bbs etc) were completely gone and I would totally panic only to end up with my head in the toilet the next day. The first tri is a rollercoaster but I would say it's totally normal to feel the way you're feeling, welcome!

Thanks for all the responses re finding out the sex, I think I'm going to go with dh on this one and find out. I do sort of have a wish and a hope about the sex (and I suspect dh has the opposite wish) so it would probably be good to find out and adjust for both of us.

And I'm so glad to see more first tri grads posting
#256 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks to all the third-tri posters for the comforting posts about first-tri symptoms. I have had really sore BBs ever since my BFP, and now am getting tired way earlier in the evening than before, but other than that I haven't felt pregnant. I am 5 weeks and 4 days along today. I am glad not have any m/s yet, but also don't have increased smell, cravings, etc. I'm sure my appointment on 9/7 will go a long way toward convincing me this is real

It's neat to read about what the third-tri folks are going through now. And Pie-watch - definitely!

Lacy 35 and Chris 35, DS Jakob 2, and EDD 1/1/11
#257 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 PM

Hi! I'm just popping in again. I have to make more doctor calls. One med center (they're with Riverside Hospital in Columbus, OH) turned me down because I was too far along. Actually, I think a couple have done that. Yeah. Like I'm going to recommend them to my friends. A few have turned me down because they can't see me until around my due date. Now, I'm notorious for putting things off, but I don't think this is totally my fault. For one thing, my insurance company is changing billing I'm getting scared. What also bothers me is that my husband and his dad are on their little baseball trip and my husband has called just long enough to say that they made it to where ever and that they're alive and okay. Yesterday morning he phoned and asked me to look for a Catholic church in or around Cooperstown, NY because it was a holy day and his dad wanted to go to church. : No, honey. I DON'T want to actually talk to you. I'm NOT having problems finding a doctor and need your advice/support. He called last night at 11:30 seemingly wanting to talk more, but I was already asleep and half asleep when we talked.

I guess something good is happening, though. In the past, with the frustration and disappointment I feel now, I would just give up and hide. Now, I'm working through it, having faith that God will provide. I wouldn't be pregnant now if it wasn't meant to be. However, it certainly seems to be a test of faith, or something.

Jenn, I'm sorry about your mother. It must be really tough, this close to your baby being born. I can't imagine my mother not being there...

I'm happy for Pie, though. Yay!!!

I didn't start to feel pregnant until I could start feeling my belly. However, wearing maternity clothes for the first time, because I could, was pretty cool. I had some days of feeling nauseous, and some food/smell aversions (fortunately, they were just a passing stage, except for maybe my husband's trail mix) but no actual runs to the bathroom.

I think nesting is kicking in, though. I really want to get to the townhouse and do more unpacking. However, I can't do much by myself, and even though my in-laws live only an hour away from Columbus and my sister is in a suburb and on-call (she's a grade school teacher and is setting up her classroom this week and next; She actually spared part of Monday to come and help me unpack), and I can call on some neighbors if need be, Andy doesn't want me there alone. Ugh. I can at least do things like organize my closet so it's categorized. I'm gong to wait and go through the clothes for purging until I have settled into a post baby size.

Okay. I'm gone now. I have to somehow get this done. Somehow.

Happy day,
Laura
#258 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 03:04 PM

Well, it is a relief to hear all of your experiences from the first trimester.

Meli, I felt great – no different at all, up until 6 weeks, when the queasiness started. And it still sort of comes and goes – right now I feel great, b/c I just ate lunch. But I’m also a little worried about what I’m going to eat next. I know everyone says they worry if the symptoms let up, but right now I’m hoping that this goes away soon and stays away.

Aimee, I love that rocking chair! That is one thing I really want, a good chair. I have to start my research on that now.

At this point, I’m kind of looking forward to wearing maternity clothes. Not that I enjoy shopping, but it’s a good excuse to get some new clothes. I should just start showing in time for fall/winter clothes, so I just have to make sure my summer clothes last until then. The thing is, I never buy clothes in season – I usually get them on clearance for the next season. This means I actually have to go pick out some clothes while they still have them in the stores, which is like, right now. And that’s just silly.

Laura, good luck finding a practitioner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrey
Though I have to say it's been brutally hard waiting to the end b/c calling the baby an "it" or a "they" has been annoying.
You know, this is something that bothers me about the English language. In several other languages, the word for it is the same word for he. (or she, sometimes). So it’s not really offensive to use the word it. But for me, I cringe when I hear people call their babe ‘it’. Or at least I used to….now I’ve started to do it myself. So I think I need to pick out a word for the babe so I’m not tempted to say it anymore.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#259 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 PM

Oh my! Thanks for all the responses!

pinkorchid2: I think part of my problem is that I feel a little guilty for feeling so good. Although my BBs were crazy sore until just a couple days ago but I always got sore breasts during my cycles anyway so I'm kind of used to it.

Grace24: I am definitely trying to increase my protein intake since I was pretty slack about it before I got pregnant. Here's hoping the m/s doesn't kick in while I am in Ireland!

rock_dr: my maternity doctor is a GP who delivers (I just found this out). I would love to go the midwife/birthcentre route but it is just WAY out of our budget with the DH being a grad student (which means less than minimum wage) and me being a writer. My actual GP is HORRIBLE but luckily one of my oldest friends is an OB - although now in another city - and has been doing some research for me about a good delivering GP to go to and found one that comes highly recommended and I insisted my terrible GP send me to her (hopefully she will take me and babe on as a patient afterwards).

dcgrl: You're lucky your BBs haven't gotten bigger - mine fluctuate on a regular basis and I already think they are too big for my size! Somehow this doesn't bother the DH...

Jujubie: I think eating is helping me avoid m/s too - I've always been a grazer, I've just picked it up a big and tried to increase my protein intake.

SarahJen: Thanks - like I mentioned above, I'm hoping not to have the m/s rollercoaster later on since we will be on vacation. As far as finding out the baby's sex I think all the advice has been great. The DH and I don't want to know - personally, it's like the best surprise ever, but then again, it doesn't really matter what we have - I want both! A girl would be nice b/c we have 5 nephews but then again, I'm really good with boys now b/c of it (one nephew is 18!). Plus, we don't celebrate most holidays with presents (including Christmas) so this is kind of the big one for us. However, my sister always felt it was important to know and one her 3rd one she really wanted a girl but I think finding out really helped her be happy with having another boy.

Okay, I have to get back to work. Thanks to everyone who responded - I feel a lot better now. However, I do have another question!

Since the DH and I are going away on vacation and I already have a little baby pot belly (of course, this could be due to the constipation - tmi) would it be wise to buy some bigger pants/maternity pants before going? I will be starting my 2nd trimester as we return. Did anyone start showing by the 2nd trimester?

You are all awesome!

#260 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM

Meli, I don't have any real symptoms yet either, other than a backache. But I'm very thankful I'm not praying to the plumbing goddess. If I became on of those lucky ones who don't get morning sickness, I would be perfectly OK with that! And I hope you are lucky too!

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#261 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli-mello View Post
Did anyone start showing by the 2nd trimester?
Not showing really but by 8 wks I was in mat pants becuase regular ones, even with an elastic through the button hole to stretch them, were just so uncomfortable.

Are midwives not covered in Alberta? I'm in Ontario and they're covered by OHIP here.
#262 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJen View Post
Are midwives not covered in Alberta? I'm in Ontario and they're covered by OHIP here.
No, unfortunately they aren't. And we don't have any additional medical coverage. The cost ranges from $2,800 to $3,300 right now plus about $500 for a birth centre (we work & live in a very small apartment and don't have the room for a home birth - we are going to have to put stuff in storage to make room for baby. ) I'm looking into Doulas though. Any one had experience with those?

#263 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 04:03 PM

PIE WATCH - hoping no news means the new family is happily bonding. It was nice of her to let us know, but now I'm so anxious to hear!

Thanks for the replies on the pee thing - it's nice to know I'm not so strange after all. I do wish the books would do a better job covering all the symptoms.

Natalia - YES - I get the earache thing when I lay on one side too long. It's driving me crazy. And rolling over is a serious event for me at this point. We are getting a nice, kind sized mattress before we even think about doing this again - but I'm all freaked out about offgassing, so nothing until the baby's out of our room at this point. (The natural mattresses are TOO expensive.)

Sarah - I felt movement right at 17 weeks too. It's so exciting! I agree with what Minnow said about wait until you're farther along. I swear I have to remind myself that babies do NOT ever actually poke a foot through their mommas abdomen at times. This one is STRONG! I still adore feeling her move.

Aimee - Please post - all of you! It's fun to actually be able to provide some insight finally. It was all really new for all of us just a few weeks ago! And it's awesome that your dh is a green architect!!! I work for the CA Legislature and green building is one of my biggest subject areas, so that's really cool.

Meli - I didn't "feel" pregnant until after the 20-week u/s to be honest. At times I would, but it wasn't a constant thing at all. It was very academic at first. Seeing her moving and playing with her toes made me fall in love... Enjoy feeling good! I felt fantastic until the end of my 5th week when m/s kicked in. It was unusually brutal for me, though. Hopefully you'll have a wonderful first trimester! Oh, and YES get maternity pants!!! You'll want them for sitting for long periods for sure. I was into them pretty much exclusively by 14 weeks (also probably more from bloating than the baby). They are just so comfy in the beginning. I really liked the below the belly stuff with a big, comfy band.

Laura - Sorry that finding a doctor is being so stressful for you. I'm freaking out with just finalizing hospital and pediatrition stuff... I don't even know who's insurance to put her on - or if we should put her on both of ours... The number of decisions is truly overwhelming. And I feel you on the DH thing - even though he tries mine just cannot process this stuff. He's done NO research on vax, newborn procedures, etc... I think if it were up to him he'd just go with whatever the normal medical protocols are...

I swam last night to try to deal with the swelling. It helped some, but the right one was back up this morning, so I went to the medical supply store and got fitted for a lovely pair of toeless kneehigh compression stockings. I feel SO sexy! The guy at the store didn't think they were bad, so maybe they aren't as horrible as I feel like they are. I just know that yesterday when I walked around my office barefoot I could FEEL the swollen tops of my feet jiggle. That's just wrong.
#264 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Meli - just to add to what the others said, I didn't "feel" pregnant for a long time either. I was lucky to have the kind of m/s that goes away after eating, and shocked to see that something was actually in there when I had an u/s at 13 weeks. Definitely get mat pants! You'll want to be as comfy as possible on your trip, especially during the flights. A Bella band (or ebay equivalent) helps hold them up if they're too big. I was definitely thicker around the middle by 13 weeks.

Julia my iron supplementation has helped a lot, just not enough. Normal hemoglobin levels are 12-16. Two months ago mine was at 10.2 and it was 11 last week. I increased the supplementation from 1 pill to 2, but that's probably the max I can take w/o nasty side effects (that prunes can't handle). I also worry about calcium - I take iron throughout the day so there's no time for calcium supplements b/c they inhibit iron absorption. Gah! Also, here's the TMI on the nips. Mine have been peeling almost the entire pregnancy - I thought it was normal b/c they're getting bigger - "molting" like Lane said. (BTW Lansinoh lanolin for nursing works great to soothe the itching and you can use it later too.) I removed some of the flaking skin when I noticed a little bit of clear liquid come out. Neato! In hindsight, maybe the skin was actually dried colostrum, dunno.

Elizabeth yay for compression hose! I have full maternity compression hose and like them alot, they're just really hard to get into. You wanna talk about sexy! Yesterday after I put them on I caught a glimpse of myself in the full length mirror. I laughed out loud b/c I looked like a beige version of Mike from Monster's Inc. - a big ball with legs!

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#265 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Meli - I am definitely showing and I am barely in my 2nd trimester. I started wearing maternity pants (not exclusively) and bella bands weeks ago. See pic in my signature. I haven't bought much in the way of maternity wear, so I am wearing the same 5 outfits every week! Luckily, I have a friend who just had a baby in February, so she gave me a huge bag of fall/winter maternity clothes--I should be set. Well, except for underwear.

I started feeling sick (and tired) around 6 weeks and it didn't let up until 12 weeks. Now, I have a bout of nausea here and there. I still gag several times a day though. Yuck!
Oh, the boob pain has not let up since about 3 days after conception. I swear!

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
#266 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 05:23 PM

Lorelie Siobhan was born this morning (August 16) at 12:38 am, after 51 hours of labor, including at work, on trial, and in the subway. I achieved the birth I wanted -- a drug-free mama and a drug-free baby -- but it was a struggle, including going mano-a-mano with my midwife when I got "stalled" at 8 cm. After I thought I was all done with transition! Best part about it was the jacuzzi and DH's awe of me. There was one intervention for which I was grateful -- I got an IV drip for hydration, since I couldn't keep anything down since pretty early into labor (glad I had read about that possibility in Adventures in Natural Childbirth and seen it on "House of Babies") -- I could walk with the IV and I definitely needed the sugar after 24 hours. Also, for early labor, get yourself a chin-up (that goes in the door jam) bar from which to hang -- it felt great -- almost as good as the poles in the subway! Things I would have wished I had done: talked through all possible permutations of birthing contingencies more thoroughly with my MW beforehand (I was shocked that she doesn't PERMIT Pitocin without an epidural -- not that I wanted or had either, but it was jarring to find that out for the first time when it was on the table). Afterward she said I was the most stubborn person she had ever met and more committed to natural childbirth than anyone she had seen in 39 years of catching babies (she said that in a "she's crazy" way to DH) but also that I was magnificent. I will write more later, but my personal take-away is that labor does hurt, is hard, and takes too long, and immediately thereafter I was like, "Let's do this again!" The pushing thing isn't painful but isn't intuitive either -- it took me 2 hours and 8 minutes. I think once I have a chance to process it I will feel triumphant. Now I feel just so in love with her. She found her thumb already and knows how to soothe herself -- my MW thinks that that's what the shooting pains in the vagina toward the end were! SHe has an extremely strong sucking reflex. She is seven pounds of perfection. I really should get some more sleep while she is sleeping...
#267 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 05:27 PM

Awww--Pie, congratulations! I'm a little teary here... I had a feeling you were going to have a girl, and what a pretty name. Will you post pictures??
51 hours? you deserve an award, woman!
Enjoy nuzzling that little girl--we'll all have baby envy now...
#268 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 05:28 PM

Oh PiePie I'm so happy for you I'm absolutely bawling at my desk right now, congratulations, you're one strong mama! Welcome little Lorelie Siobhan!
#269 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 05:29 PM

Oh yay! Congratulations PiePie! WELCOME LORELIE!!! What a lovely name.

I'm so proud of you! (Is that weird?) For being such a "stubborn" mama in labor.

Yay!
#270 of 552 Old 08-16-2007, 05:31 PM

OH PiePie Congrats!! You're a complete beast! How awesome!

signature currently in transition

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page