Traveling with newborn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I would like to travel to Poland next year. Our baby is due in early January. What do you think is the best month to take a newborn abroad? I figure it would be easier when s/he is light and doesn't walk. The main thing I worry about is the airplane pressure.

Related question - are there any herbs/natural remedies safe to relax a baby on a plane? We had lots of screaming one year olds on our latest flights. It seemed like maybe some gripe water or some other calming herb might have helped the poor things.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-01-2007, 09:39 PM

If you breastfeed travel should be easy. The best way to calm a young child is by breastfeeding on the plane and it also keeps the ears from being plugged. I would feel safe traveling by three months but only if exclusively breastfeeding because of the immunities that breastmilk provides.
#3 of 6 Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 PM

I think traveling with infants is MUCH easier than traveling with older children! The best trip we ever had since having children was when my first son was 5 mos old. Easy plane flight - he nursed almost the whole time, or slept on my lap. Nursing relieves pressure behind the eardrum, and also keeps babies calm and content.

I agree that non-walking babies are easier for travel. It's so simple when they're portable! A simple pouch sling or ring sling would be convenient for using while going through the airport, and can double as a blanket to keep you both warm on the plane.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#4 of 6 Old 08-01-2007, 11:10 PM

In addition to non-walking exclusively breastfed is easier than and less messy than once table foods are introduced.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#5 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally, I would say around 3 months or older would be good. Sometimes the first few months can be rough, lots of crying and nursing/walking the baby at night, while he settles into life on the outside. This usually seems to settle down by around 3 months old, but they're not crawling or awake for really long stretches yet. Jet lag is less of an issue when you're napping half the day, and (with my kids, anyway) they didn't care where they were to sleep, and sleeping in-arms wasn't hard on whoever was holding the sleeping baby. It was easier for us to be out late with friends or up and going early for something when our kids were under a year. By the time they're walking, it would be more difficult -- they're also probably not napping as much by then, and (for my kids) they seemed to want to settle into a more predictable sleeping routine between turning 1 and turning 2.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#6 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 01:46 PM

I did a fair amount of air travel with DS #1 from about 3-8 months, and found it fairly simple. Nursing during takeoff and landing fixes the air pressure problem, and he generally slept through most flights (although he often woke up on flights longer than 4 hours).

If you can, request a bulkhead (front row of the section) seat, since you'll have more room in front of you. And if you can, limit yourself to one carryon bag and a good sling for comfort and convenience.

Marie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page