Does popularity affect your babynaming? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 102 Old 08-13-2007, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ITA about classic versus popular. Right now, many classic names ARE popular, but that doesn't make them trendy. Personally, I'd never use a name that sounded made up.
#62 of 102 Old 08-13-2007, 07:38 PM

Deleted by user.
#63 of 102 Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We personally prefer to use a 1st name that hasn't ever been heard before (at least not by us, & preferably not by the entire internet as well! lol). I'm sure having a hard time coming up with a name this time though & might just end up settling for something found in a book. We shall see.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#64 of 102 Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 PM

It bums me out that so many classic, old-fashioned names are super-popular right now. I've always loved Jane Austen-type names for girls (Emma, Elizabeth, Anne, you know the ones) and now they're all over. Names like Hannah, Abigail... sweet, old-fashioned names that you used to NEVER hear. I feel like, those were MY names! I was reading them in old books long before you people stole them from me by having kids before me!

Ditto for biblical names for boys, like Samuel or Elijah. I have always wanted to give my kids names that were both "real names" (i.e. been in the vernacular for a long, long time, not "made up" names : ) and uncommon-- like my own. 'Mara' is a biblical name, quite old. But I've only ever met one other.

Most of the Jennifers I know-- and being born in 1981 I know several!-- were annoyed by the commonness of it. What bugs me are all the "K" names that sprang up right around then and STUCK. I know 3, no 4, Kristen/Kristins. My sister is Kendal and in 1983 that was as rare as Mara. Within a few years though it just skyrocketed. Wouldn't it be great if we could just see into the future of naming by say 5 years? Get an idea of what our kids' age-group on both sides would look like?

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#65 of 102 Old 08-13-2007, 09:34 PM

This post has really hit home for me. I've always loved the name Sophia (Sophie for short). Now I see it's in the top ten girl names for last year and everyone I mention it to says "oh that's really popular now." I'm thinking I might just go with it anyway...I've always loved it. Also, I'm a Sara from the 80's, and I'm relatively unscarred
#66 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosmom View Post
Here'e my thing with popular names. I don't mind if my dc names are popular in a classic sense. For example my son's name is James and I don't care how popular it is at any given time because it's more of a classic name. But I definatly wouldn't choose an unconventional name that was popular, because then, to me at least, it would seem more trendy popular rather than classic popular, which would bug me. Am I making any sense? Preggo brain makes it hard to explain myself sometimes.
THANK YOU!! You make a great point. I realize now that there is a difference between "Madison" or "Mackenzie" and "Elizabeth" or "Ann". Trendy is different than popular.

My husband also stuck it to me last night. He said, in a nutshell, "Quit freaking out. There are billions of people on this planet. The only original name you're going to come up with is one our kid probably won't want to have."

Thank you all so much for all the great responses. I am more comfortable with my top choice now. It is a name I love and that's what matters.
#67 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by isosmom
Here'e my thing with popular names. I don't mind if my dc names are popular in a classic sense. For example my son's name is James and I don't care how popular it is at any given time because it's more of a classic name. But I definatly wouldn't choose an unconventional name that was popular, because then, to me at least, it would seem more trendy popular rather than classic popular, which would bug me. Am I making any sense? Preggo brain makes it hard to explain myself sometimes.

You make perfect sense! That's what I was trying to say, but you put it much better!
#68 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post

Ditto for biblical names for boys, like Samuel or Elijah.
we ran into the same problem.
#69 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if we could just see into the future of naming by say 5 years? Get an idea of what our kids' age-group on both sides would look like?
actually you can if you track the naming patterns among the upper 1/3 of americans by income. there is a strong trickle down effect...
#70 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
What bugs me are all the "K" names that sprang up right around then and STUCK. I know 3, no 4, Kristen/Kristins.
As a Kristin, who lived next door to an older Kristin (whose sisters were Karen and Kathy, speaking of K-name popularity in the 70s), it did kind of stink. I was "little Krissy" for about 6 years of my life. I abhorred the name Krissy!

Anyhow, I found the antidote: Move out of the country! Now I'm in Canada, and no one here knows another Kristin. In fact, no one can even pronounce it. They look at me as though I have three heads when I say it slowly again for them, then shake their head and keep on calling me Christine.

Our boy name is very classic, but only in this area of the country, and Scotland. He'd probably be made fun of if we moved back to the U.S. Oh well. The Boy Named Sue made it ...
#71 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 PM

I too like some classic names that may also be popular. Emma, Thomas, James, Alexander, Ruby.

But then after that, I like names that aren't trendy popular and stay away from those. Hubby really likes Liam, and I like it too, but there seem to be lots of Liams right now.

Unfortunately, 12 years ago (pre-internet for me) I was still in my small, country hometown, and was sheltered from the world. I named my first son Taylor, thinking it was a unique and great boy name, and have regretted it ever since. The second he was named, there was a whole explosion of girl Taylors in the area. I guess that had been going on for a while even before him, I just didn't know. *sigh*

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#72 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 PM

Big time. I don't want to offend anyone so I'm not going to be specific but the names in the top ten for both girls and boys, especially the more "made up" names, annoy the crap out of me. And changing the spelling to make a popular name more original bugs me too-- if you want to be more original, I say choose a different name!

The way we do names is dh and I make lists of names that we like, usually going by sound, family/historical significance, and other factors, and then we eliminate any that are too popular or trendy (the trendy names usually don't even make the lists to begin with, but there have been exceptions) and names that the other partner doesn't like. That usually gets us down to 4 or 5 for each sex, and then we mull those over until the baby is born and see which one suits best.

Hey, it worked for our first baby! Julia is in the top 100, true, but like number 50 or something; it's a name we both think is pretty; it sounds good with our last name; and Julia was a famous mathematician whose initial work on fractals inspired Mandelbrot (I'm a mathematician myself so this was a bonus). We've been through the same process with this new baby.
#73 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Just for funsies, here's the SSA list of most popular baby names:

1 Jacob
2 Michael
3 Joshua
4 Ethan
5 Matthew
6 Daniel
7 Christopher
8 Andrew
9 Anthony
10 William
  1. Emily
  2. Emma
  3. Madison
  4. Isabella
  5. Ava
  6. Abigail
  7. Olivia
  8. Hannah
  9. Sophia
  10. Samantha

None of those are really "made up".

You can also view popular names by state:
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/namesbystate.html
  1. Jose
  2. Jacob
  3. Joshua
  4. Daniel
  5. Christopher
  6. Angel
  7. David
  8. Juan
  9. Michael
  10. Ethan
  1. Emily
  2. Mia
  3. Ashley
  4. Isabella
  5. Madison
  6. Abigail
  7. Emily
  8. Natalie
  9. Hannah
  10. Samantha

Totally OT, but it's funny how there's no visible Mexican influence in the girls list, especially when compared to the boys. I guess the 'boys' names are more traditional' dictum holds true no matter where you are.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#74 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It does a bit for me ... I do not want an overused name or trendy name; but on the other hand if I LOVE the name I will not turn it down just because its in the top 20.

For instance I love Ella and am bummed it is so popular, but hey, it has a reason for being popular because its a beautiful name. There would have to be a few other solid reasons for me to not use it (which there are).

On the other hand I sure wish Felix was a bit higher on the charts so people wouldn't cringe at the name! Felix is in the top 20 in Quebec and high up on the list in England, but the rest of North America has issues with it! I love it and the fact that it is favorably recognized in Quebec and England give me a bit more confidence to use it - (in an area (the rest of NA) that mostly dislike the name!)

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#75 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
On the other hand I sure wish Felix was a bit higher on the charts so people wouldn't cringe at the name!
Felix was on my short list for my ds! I think it's a great name!
#76 of 102 Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Since I was one of a million Jennifers in school, it absolutely affects our naming choices!

Jenn
#77 of 102 Old 08-15-2007, 01:29 AM
jmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post
Felix was on my short list for my ds! I think it's a great name!
Felix is our #1 choice is this babe is a boy. Love it!

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#78 of 102 Old 08-15-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post

None of those are really "made up".

Not to be snarky, but as a girl's first name, "Madison" is totally made up--it was not used as a girl's name until after "Splash" in 1984. It showed up in the top 1000 in 1985, at 625, made it to 216 in 1990, 29 in 1995, then number 3 in 2000. It sounds normal because it has become so popular in the past 20 years.
#79 of 102 Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't have a chance to look it up to see if I was right. I think dcgrl is right--it sounds normal because it's been so popular for so long. I also wonder if it seems more familiar to us because it is similar in sound to a "real" name, Madeline (at least, I *think* Madeline is a "real" classic name...isn't it?? ).

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#80 of 102 Old 08-15-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Not to be snarky, but as a girl's first name, "Madison" is totally made up--it was not used as a girl's name until after "Splash" in 1984. It showed up in the top 1000 in 1985, at 625, made it to 216 in 1990, 29 in 1995, then number 3 in 2000. It sounds normal because it has become so popular in the past 20 years.
Well, Vanessa and Wendy are both also made up, if you want to get right down to it, and neither receives the same amount of vitriol as Madison.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#81 of 102 Old 08-15-2007, 04:26 PM

I don't mind classic, proper names that have meaning. I don't like trendy names, though.

My daughter's name isn't even in the top 1,000 (Layloh is not her real name). It's classic and has a lovely meaning and I think it sounds beautiful but I guess I'm the only one.

My advice for people looking for beautiful but uncommon names is to do a Google search for names in a foreign language, like Finnish or something. The name won't be made up, it will have a meaning, but nobody else will have it.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#82 of 102 Old 08-15-2007, 04:26 PM

I wasn't judging the name, only pointing out that it was made up, and that you can isolate its ascent in popularity to a specific moment in pop culture.
#83 of 102 Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 PM

I guess if you want to be philosophical about it, all names were "made up" names at some point in history. They gotta start somewhere! I guess I see it sort of like the new "words" that have been added to the dictionary here of late. I can't help but be a teensy bit snobbish about some of the "words" because I tend to think of myself as a "purist" in that respect.

OTOH, I have to admit that I have--on more than one occasion--caught myself using the word "google" as a verb!

I think it just takes time. I suspect that some of the names that seem "trendy" to us now will be around for the long haul. They will eventually be thought of as classical names, and no one will give them a second thought. Some, on the other hand, will probably not out-live their owners. Only time will tell which will be which!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#84 of 102 Old 08-16-2007, 01:59 AM

Actually, traditionally names came from words that had specific meaning in a language. In English we have more than the usual number of names from other languages, for which the meaning is not immediately evident (Elizabeth, David, Christine, Sonia...) but all these names have obvious meanings in their original languages (Hebrew, Latin, Russian).

In this sense, Madison is not made up (it's a proper name, and it means "son of a mighty warrior").

My sister-in-law's names, are, therefore, "Wedding Month," "Flower of the Light", "Flower of the World", "Flower of the Faith", etc.

I am sure that in the olden days they also made up nice-sounding names, but I don't think that all names were just "made up".

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#85 of 102 Old 08-16-2007, 02:24 AM

Well I'm going cultural again. There may be another child or 2 with my child's first name on this continent but not many. I'm not concerned about other peoples difficulty with spelling or all that because my other kids like their names. Well my oldest is named from her father's culture (different dad). My 2nd oldest uses he's middle name (still cultural though), my 3rd goes by a nickname based on her name (it's how she pronounced her name as a baby) & my youngest goes by his first name, all though all were given a choice of using any of their middle names (which vary in commonness)

If I have a girl the name will translate as Robin & if I have a boy the name will translate as Day (I think, less decided on a boy's name, and I think it's more popular)
#86 of 102 Old 08-16-2007, 02:35 AM

I think heritage / culture based names are great. Meaningful, original, and really gives the child something to remember his or her ancestors by. Your kids' names are gorgeous. They're native, aren't they?

#87 of 102 Old 08-16-2007, 03:11 AM

An interesting site for name popularity is http://ww2.howmanyofme.com/search/
A bit outdated, as it works off 1990 Census data but still interesting

Another great site is the Name Voyager
http://www.babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFashionedGirl View Post
I find it far less likely that Sarah or John is going to be scarred by childhood taunting then Zeus (even if they are weary of being one of many).
Exactly.

Quote:
The idea of naming my child something that he or she is constantly going to have to spell because I think it's cool also seems cruel. As somone who has had to spell and pronounce my last name for my entire life (and is very much looking forward to marrying a much simpler last name), it annoys me very much.
Foolishly, I went the opposite. I switched from a very common British last name to a long, traditionally spelled Swedish name.

I tried to give my kids names that were easy to spell, obvious to pronounce but not super common. No Ethans or Emilys but no Zalgons or Zeldas either

Oddly, DS's name shot up from the 200s to the top 50 the year after he was born, and DD's name landed on the British Columbia popular baby names list for the first time ever last year (never been in the top 1000 in the US. We're hippies up here) I actually met someone with a little girl who shared a name with DD.

My not-weird name streak might be undone this time though. DH wants this baby to be named Ophelia.
#88 of 102 Old 08-16-2007, 03:17 AM

Our first rule was a Polish name for our firstborn, an Italian name for our secondborn.

Our second rule was the name could not come from The Bible.

Reneé, 33 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 nocirc.gif and Arianna 9/06 gd.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 blowkiss.gif.  TTC a little rainbow rainbow1284.gifchartnew.gif http://www.FertilityFriend.com/home/4e4ac9 Currently in the 2WW 
#89 of 102 Old 08-16-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahtob View Post
I think heritage / culture based names are great. Meaningful, original, and really gives the child something to remember his or her ancestors by. Your kids' names are gorgeous. They're native, aren't they?
Yep, except my eldest, her Dad is Roma & Maori so her name comes from her Roma side & is Asha (also an East Indian name)
#90 of 102 Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 AM

I tend to really like ethnic names b/c I find it a way to be original (at least around here ). I don't think you have to be say, Swedish to use Bjorn or Eastern European to go for Nadia. I'm not fond of making up my own name and I love old-fashioned (Henry, Iris, Ava) names, but it's hard to tell which one will get super popular again. We've had violet picked out for years for a girl and it's getting popular. I'm placing my bets that it won't rival lily or Ava, but it is certainly climbing on the social security baby name website, if you're American. OTOH I also have a Carl, which sounds as plain as day, but there are not many carls running around under age 5.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page