Does popularity affect your babynaming? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 102 Old 08-16-2007, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton View Post
My not-weird name streak might be undone this time though. DH wants this baby to be named Ophelia.
I love that name!
#92 of 102 Old 08-16-2007, 05:06 PM

Does anyone else get a little lump of upsetness in your belly whenever you hear someone say that they've picked out the name you chose?

Me , him , and the two most beautiful little lovey girls in the world: 3/08 and 1/10. Planning our escape from the treadmill!
#93 of 102 Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicely_m View Post
Does anyone else get a little lump of upsetness in your belly whenever you hear someone say that they've picked out the name you chose?

Nope. Could someone please explain to me this phenomenon? Seriously, no snark intended.

I'd maybe understand if my sister or brother, or someone in my immediate family picked out "my" name, but I've heard of women, NOT EVEN PREGANT, get upset b/c their friend chose "their" name. I just do not get the "ownership" of names. But, I'm also not one who feels that unique-ness is important in child-naming, so maybe that's the difference *shrug*
#94 of 102 Old 08-17-2007, 04:59 PM

Yes, but more for a girl than a boy. Turns out both my fantasy names (girl and boy) were top five when I was pg last time :

Boys names are so much more limited, so as long as it's not the name of every second child (like Thomas, for example), I'm OK with that.

For a girl I wanted a real name, but not top ten or twenty.
#95 of 102 Old 08-17-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaScout View Post
How do some of you find the balance? Do you let trends influence you one way or the other? Should I just give my baby a name I like and forget what the rankings say? I'm making myself crazy here. :
I left the naming up to my dh. He chose names that just came to him. Both our kids' names ranked between #100 and #200 in the years they were born; however, both names have risen (become more popular) since then.

For our third baby, we're choosing a name in the top ten. However, it's a classic name, not a fad name - it's been in the top ten since 1943. I don't want my kid to have an incredibly common name, but I'd rather it be common in a classic way than in a faddish way, you know?
#96 of 102 Old 08-17-2007, 05:21 PM

I do. It's not about ownership at all, I don't think. It's just what this thread is about- I want to have more original names. Of course if I have a girl she won't be the only Violet in the world, but I'd rather the name not get massively popular. I sure was annoyed when Jennifer Garner used the name! On the contrary, I might be flattered if a friend liked it enough to choose it. It's more if I see it or hear it in general that it "upsets" me. I swear, I get jealous any time I see a Roman or August in a sig around here! I love both names and don't even know if I'm having a boy.

Quote:
#97 of 102 Old 08-17-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Not to be snarky, but as a girl's first name, "Madison" is totally made up--it was not used as a girl's name until after "Splash" in 1984. It showed up in the top 1000 in 1985, at 625, made it to 216 in 1990, 29 in 1995, then number 3 in 2000. It sounds normal because it has become so popular in the past 20 years.
THANK YOU! I think a lot of people are also okay with it because you can nickname the little girl Maddie.
#98 of 102 Old 08-18-2007, 12:38 PM

We are really struggling with naming our fourth baby. (Our first three are boys and we were really thrown for a loop when we found out this baby is a GIRL) We are having a lot more trouble with girls names than we ever had with boys. What are your favorite links for names online?
#99 of 102 Old 08-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizznicole View Post
We wanted to name our girl after my husband's father, who died 3 years ago. Well, his original name, in Italian, was Olivio. That makes the feminine Olivia. Which now happens to be the #1 most popular name in the US according to the SS Database. Thanks a lot, people. I have a very rare name, and I can't stomach the thought of my little girl being in kindergarten with 5 other Olivias (even though I'm probably going to homeschool, you get the point). I think we're going to have to reserve Olivio (or Lee, his US name) for a boy, and follow the grandmothers' name for a girl (both have the same name).
What about using Olive?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#100 of 102 Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSlater351 View Post
We are really struggling with naming our fourth baby. (Our first three are boys and we were really thrown for a loop when we found out this baby is a GIRL) We are having a lot more trouble with girls names than we ever had with boys. What are your favorite links for names online?
I find boy names to be much harder, but that's just me I guess. Have you seen nymbler.com? That's my favorite website for girl and boy names.
#101 of 102 Old 08-21-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Nope. My oldest shares a name (phonetically, at least), with her slightly-older cousin, and the mama of that Bobby is about to have a son she plans on naming David, which will make him the third one in this generation of the family (my Bobbie was the fourth in the family at the time, as Becky's XSO was named Bobby as well, & that's the name my husband is still often called by). Becky's nephew David, the first in this generation to have the name, thinks it's the neatest thing imaginable that they'll share a name (likewise Bobbie is tickled by having a same-named cousin). No one has ever complained about the coincidence, and with the added fact that the kids in question aren't bothered...It's a nonissue for me.

Quote:
My not-weird name streak might be undone this time though. DH wants this baby to be named Ophelia.
While I'd personally not use a name most famous for a suicide, I don't think you can call anything Shakespearean weird. :

That said, there are some names that are totally misunderstood these days, like Portia & Mercedes. I've actually argued with people who think the name Mercedes is from the car, when in actuality it's a reference to the Virgin Mary. (The car was named for Karl Benz's daughter.) And Portia, though a wonderful character in The Merchant of Venice also sounds a bit too much like a car (though, to be fair, it seems almost no Americans pronounce the final E on Porsche like they should).

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#102 of 102 Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
MamaScout, I'm dealing with the exact same issue. Do I choose a name I've always loved (and always thought was unusual) even though it's now popular? Or do I choose something I love less just because it's not popular? It's a tough call and I don't really have any advice but I sympathize with your dilemma.

One thing to think about - I was born in the 70's when every girl was named Jennifer (3.5% of the female population). After combing through the Social Security database I realized that NO girl's name is anywhere close to that popular nowadays. Even the seemingly ubiquitous Emily is 1/3 as popular now (1.2%) as Jennifer was in the 70's, or about as popular as Heather was during the 70's. It seems like there are more names now, so even the popular ones aren't as common as they used to be.
I second this. The top twenty are nowhere near as ubiquitous now as they were thirty years ago. I was apprehensive about settling on the name we have for our son for a while...especially after the new s.s. list came out and it had moved up several places. Meanwhile, only 0.74% of the population nationwide has this name, and much less in our state as the name is 13 spots lower here.
Name rankings just aren't as indicative of mass popularity the way that they used to be. The options are just so wide-open now.

Dear hubby surf.gif, dd1 (8) dust.gif ds1 (5)hbac.gif and dd2 (NB) hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page