So, how bad is coffee during pregnancy - really?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
No kidding. When I was pregnant with DS, the barista at Starbucks very sincerely said, "Should you be drinking this...?" to which I replied, "Should you be offering medical advice...?" The poor boy was quite embarrassed and apologetic, though.
Great response! I haven't gotten looks yet-but know I will soon. The belly is starting to get really obvious!

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#32 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 PM

I quit drinking coffee when I was pregnant with DS which was really hard because I was a barista at the time so it was EVERYWHERE! but I was really paranoid having suffered a miscarriage with my first.

I dont think the caffeine is bad for the babe in moderation but I do have to worry when the mama's would get 3 shots extra caramel with chocolate milk. I think the sugar could be troublesome.
#33 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 PM

Most shots are an ounce (I was a barista in a former life too). So if you are ordering a grande latte - that is 16 ounces of drink - 2 of those ounces are made up of shots. Its a good way to get your calcium in if you need the milk.

This thread is making me really happy too. Before finding out I was pregnant I was up to 4 cups of tea a day. Right now I'm having about a half a cup a tea every couple days but water is tasting funny. I've cut back because I read about how tea and coffee can be a substitute for meals and until I start eating enough - or well enough - I don't want to make myself full with tea. I'm just not hungry right now but it is still really early yet, I'm sure that will come. At least then I can go back to having one real cup of tea a day - it's my only vice!

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

#34 of 44 Old 08-15-2007, 01:42 AM

Ok so they don't "put" caffeine in their coffee, but however they do it, does anyone else find Starbuck's coffee to be really really strong? I can't even drink the stuff. Is it the way it's brewed? Seriously, it's like motor oil. I love their other drinks, but haven't had their rfegular coffee in years. I think it would give me a heart attack.

It's a really good thing no-one's commented about my coffee to me, cuz it wouldn't be pretty...I love the PP's response to the coffee shop guy. That's great. It's tiring being told how to be pregnant, isn't it?

After I read this thread and found all that information about the amount of caffeine in Starbuck's, I made DH take me there... but by that time I was so thirsty all I could do was suck down a lot of water. sigh maybe tomorrow...
#35 of 44 Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 AM

I have to get a quad grande at Starbucks to taste it much. I was up to a 6 shot Venti before I got pregnant. But that was cutting back from Red Bulls, pills, and those refrigerated Starbucks Double shot things in college. I was a major addict, but somehow I was calm and slept like a baby at 11 every night.
I also always drink my drip coffee black unless there is quality cream available. I don't do reg milk or half and half in my coffee.

I quit cold turkey for the first trimester and was miserable. Now I just have a two shot latte everyday. I miss my quads and americanos

(You think I'm bad. My DH gets a Venti red eye w/ a dash of cold soy)

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#36 of 44 Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Ok so they don't "put" caffeine in their coffee, but however they do it, does anyone else find Starbuck's coffee to be really really strong?
Well, they don't call 'em Charbucks for nuthin'. The roast their coffee rather dark. Somebody from their agronomy office here in Costa Rica visited our farm the other day and gave my husband a bag of their Latin American blend, supposedly a medium roast. We can't even prepare it in the French press because it's too dark. So, I use it for the cappuccino pot!

Their coffee tastes very strong, but dark roast/strong brew doesn't necessarily = more caffeine. Sometimes it does, but not always. A shot of espresso tastes much stronger than a drip brew black coffee, but does not contain more caffeine.
#37 of 44 Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 AM

The strong flavor at Starbucks also comes from putting the proper amount of grounds per cup (2T). Most people don't put nearly that much in. Like the last poster said, a stronger brew does not mean more caffeine.
#38 of 44 Old 08-15-2007, 12:30 PM

Apparently the lighter roasts contain more caffeine - at least, that is what they told us when I worked there. The darker roast taste, well, darker but since they are roasted longer they have less caffeine. However, I think the differences were rather negligible - it's mostly a taste thing. Oddly enough, I have never been a coffee drinker, I can't stand it and it makes me feel like I am having an anxiety attack. I think I'm just sensitive, but a cup of tea seems to be okay (too many and I get jumpy). I'm in my first trimester so I am trying to cut back to the thought of having something help with the constipation is Really Appealing!

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

#39 of 44 Old 08-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Does anyone know: Does (water processed) Decaf have the same laxative effects? I'm assuming its something other than caffeine that does that but maybe I'm wrong...?

I cut back on caffeine before I found out I was pg, actually, just because I felt like it was making me a little crazy! I love coffee, though, so indulge in good decaf as often as I can. If it will help with the constipation, I might up my consumption!

My only caffeine indulgence now is a little chocolate everyday. Because that's good for you, right?!

Mama to Otto (9/07) and expecting Greta (EDD 6/13)  familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.giflactivist.gif

#40 of 44 Old 08-15-2007, 03:01 PM

I don't know for sure, but even decaf (or half-caf) seems to help with the constipation somewhat--at least for me. Not as quickly, perhaps, but it does seem to have some effect. I just prefer the taste (and the pick-me-up!) of the real stuff! But, my BIL has heart problems and absolutely can't have the regular caffeinated stuff. When I visited them toward the end of my second pg, I drank decaf and it seemed to help.

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#41 of 44 Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I also want to know how big those "cups" are, since the official measurement of a "cup" of coffee used to mean, 5 oz! That's less than your cup measure at home! That's like one of those teeny tiny little delicate floral china cups that old ladies display in their glass cabinets with matching tiny saucers!

I drink "cups" that are considerably more than even 8 oz, and even a small coffee mug, much smaller than most people use today, is 10 oz. Most are 12 to 16.

I like to have about 3 of my 12-to-16 oz coffees (which is about a medium or large, anywhere you go through a drive-thru or walkup coffee place) a day, but have been trying to stop at merely 2. For a while there, I was drinking a whole pot a morning (before I fell pg).

So I certainly hope that 2-3 cups being ok, doesn't mean only one of the usual size of "cups" for modern standards. But it might!

ribbongreen.gif For Cricketschirping, with 3 homeschool.gif kids, , babygirl.gifribboncesarean.gif  babyboy.gifhbac.gif  babyboy.gifhbac.gif and planning another babyboy.gifhbac.gif

pos.gif5++++10++++15++++20+2ndtri.gif++25++++30++++35++++(++stork-boy.gif

#42 of 44 Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 PM

This!
I don't know what I would do without my morning cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post

Nothing prevents/cures pregnancy constipation like a cup of coffee a day.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#43 of 44 Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 AM

I don't know, I am just NOT comfortable drinking so much as a cup of coffee when I am pregnant. It crosses the placenta and increases heartrate...something I'm not too comfortable with. I don't need coffee, as much as I love it, so I cut it out when I am pregnant.

Honestly, I feel one cup of coffee, so I don't want to pass that on to my developing baby. To each their own.

#44 of 44 Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 AM

I'll echo what others have said about moderate caffeine being fine. In fact, I have low blood pressure and my midwife told me to have a cup of coffee if I'm feeling dizzy because it will raise blood pressure. with a toddler to chase, i couldn't live without my morning coffee.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

Tags
New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page