So, how bad is coffee during pregnancy - really?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
g&a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been totally craving the mochas and lattes while pregnant. I've allowed myself to indulge once a week, thinking that's pretty good, right? Not a habit, a treat.
But still I wonder if it's a bad idea - anyone know of any research on coffee in pregnancy?? Mainstream thought is no more than 2 cups a day is ok, but I think that's a lot.

thx.
g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#2 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 PM

Actually caffiene in moderation during pregnancy is just fine. I would be in BIG trouble if it weren't. My migraines are VERY badly affected by lack of caffiene. I have between 8 and 16 oz of caffienated pop a day and have done that with all of my pregnancies. I try to keep it to 8 oz but it depends on if I feel like a migraine is threatening. If I didn't I'd have a perpetual really bad migraine.

Heather
wife to wonderful dh, SAHM to 3 girls (10, 5, and 3) and one boy (3/12/2008)
#3 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
g&a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbit View Post
Actually caffiene in moderation during pregnancy is just fine. I would be in BIG trouble if it weren't. My migraines are VERY badly affected by lack of caffiene. I have between 8 and 16 oz of caffienated pop a day and have done that with all of my pregnancies. I try to keep it to 8 oz but it depends on if I feel like a migraine is threatening. If I didn't I'd have a perpetual really bad migraine.
Very interesting! Must be vascular. I wish I'd tried that when I was younger and had migraines all the time!
I've used it in the past to raise low blood pressure. That's not what i'm doing now, but it sure does work! I used to call it self-medicating...

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#4 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 05:10 PM

Not bad at all at the levels you are talking. see the prenatal influences chapter in what's going on in there, by l. eliot, for details of the scientific studies. i was having a serving of caffeine a day throughout second and third tri and flagellating myself for it -- i was relieved to read the real science.
#5 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 PM

I just heard a study cited somewhere on NPR last week that said even up to FIVE cups of coffee a day may be fine for pregnant women!!! Now, I'm not saying this is smart, it's just one study and I think the two-cup rule is a good one since it's been the rule for so long. My first OB said look for water-filtered decaf if you drink that instead because decaf is often made with chemicals? Haven't heard it elsewhere but seems plausible.
#6 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 06:36 PM

I contiinued to drink coffee through my first PG with no ill effects, and my OB reassured me that in moderation it shouldn't pose a problem. I found then, and with this PG, that my consumption seems to taper down throughout--at 8 weeks, I probably still had two full cups per day, now, at 33 weeks, less than a cup.

If you do want to cut down, do so gradually. I stayed with a friend once who had only decaf (in an unmarked container) and couldn't figure out why I had vicious, pounding headaches by the end of my second day. : Tapering gradually, I don't notice any side effects at all. Last time, the reduction stayed with me thorugh about 6 months PP, too; this time, I'm hoping it will be permanent.

Happy Latte!

Marie

#7 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 06:39 PM

Like everyone said, coffee is fine. The studies that showed an increase in miscarriage due to coffee consumption only saw an increase when women were drinking 8-10 cups or more a day. One or two cups is not going to do anything.

That said, I don't drink it (caf or decaf) because I tend towards high blood pressure while I'm pregnant.
#8 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretelmom View Post
I just heard a study cited somewhere on NPR last week that said even up to FIVE cups of coffee a day may be fine for pregnant women!!! Now, I'm not saying this is smart, it's just one study and I think the two-cup rule is a good one since it's been the rule for so long. My first OB said look for water-filtered decaf if you drink that instead because decaf is often made with chemicals? Haven't heard it elsewhere but seems plausible.
My doctor told me 1-2 cups is fine but if it gets to be 5ish or more it may be a problem. I have weaned down to a cup a day (with an occasional 1/2 c. of half reg, half decaf in the afternoon if I am dragging).

What I want to know is, is "a cup" an 8-oz cup, or a small, 4-6 oz cup?

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#9 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretelmom View Post

I was a barista in a former life, and yes, most decafs are made that way by washing with chemicals that remove most of the caffeine(methylene chloride or ethyl acetate). It's supposed to be safe, I don't know of any studies saying it's not. The swiss-water method just uses water, it truly does taste better, but it is difficult to find and more expensive than regular decaf. Starbucks had 1 decaf made using the that method when I worked there. I can't remember how the espresso is decaffeinated, but if you ask they should be able to tell you.

To the OP, if you want to cut down on the caffeine you are having when you get your drinks you can ask for less espresso. A tall comes with 1 shot, you can ask for half a shot, a grande comes with 2 shots, you can ask for 1, etc. I think a vente actually comes with 2 also.(sorry it's been a while...)

I, personally, would rather have an occasional cup of coffee in it's natural state.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#10 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 PM

Nothing prevents/cures pregnancy constipation like a cup of coffee a day.
#11 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 09:43 PM

Just be careful at places like Starbucks because they put a lot of caffeine in their drinks, and what they mean by one cup of coffee in those studies is 150 mg of caffeine (I think)... and a Starbucks coffee has more than that, if I recall correctly. (Which I may not )
#12 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 09:46 PM

Oops, no I was wrong, it doesn't have that much, but here's a link to caffeine counts in various drinks for ya:

http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database/

I've had some caffeine every day, as little as I can get by with but cannot function without that little bit! So choose carefully, but then enjoy!
#13 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 PM

From americanpregnancy.org:

Myth: A pregnant woman should not consume ANY caffeine.

Fact: Experts and studies have stated that "moderate" levels of caffeine have not been found to have a negative effect on pregnancy. The definition of "moderate" varies anywhere from 150 mg - 300 mg a day.

I've seen that number a lot... should be ok if you keep it under 300 mg.
#14 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 09:49 PM

decaf can give you headaches

caffeine in moderation is fine

caffeine headaches are just that- caused by a lack of caffeine. Remember, caffeine is an addictive substance! If you take caffeine to clear a headache, you will have to do it every day of your life Usually it takes your body 3 days to detox from coffee. You may have headaches everyday if you quit cold turkey style.

this pregnancy, I can only take weak coffee! So surprising. And herbal flowery teas I am usually a Peets girl. Today at Peets I had lemon rose tea

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#15 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
Nothing prevents/cures pregnancy constipation like a cup of coffee a day.
no crap!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#16 of 44 Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 PM

A friend of ours left us the smallest sized moka maker - those metal coffee makers you put on the stove. You basically get 2 shots of espresso out of it. I make myself a cappuccino once a day - my reward for making it out of 1st trimester morning sickness.
#17 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 01:45 AM
jmo

whew! This thread is totally making me feel better. I've been craving mochas something fierce lately. With my last pregnancy I couldn't even stand the smell of coffee and now it's all I want! Anyone know about how much caffiene is in one shot of espresso?

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#18 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 02:02 AM

1.5 oz shot is 77 mg. according to the link I posted above. Don't know how big most shots are, it'd be something to check out.
#19 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo View Post
whew! This thread is totally making me feel better. I've been craving mochas something fierce lately.

:

Now I don't feel so bad about those times I have given in and had a coffee something...

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#20 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 10:01 AM

DH makes me a two shot latte every morning. I worry more about the sugary syrup than the caffeine.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#21 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 AM

I was really glad to read this thread. I am only 4w3d along and immediately cut back from 1-2 cups in the morning to 1/2 a cup. I really would like to drink just 1 cup with breakfast. I don't see my doc until next Wednesday so this makes me feel much better in the meantime.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#22 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 10:39 AM

Now can we just spread the word about this? I stopped to get a mocha on my way to work yesterday and the woman making it said, "You want it decaf, right?", which made me feel guilty when I said "no"!!
#23 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
g&a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
From americanpregnancy.org:

Myth: A pregnant woman should not consume ANY caffeine.

Fact: Experts and studies have stated that "moderate" levels of caffeine have not been found to have a negative effect on pregnancy. The definition of "moderate" varies anywhere from 150 mg - 300 mg a day.

I've seen that number a lot... should be ok if you keep it under 300 mg.
2 shots at 77mg is 154mg, still moderate. I usually just have 1 shot so that's not too bad at all. I used to be a big coffee drinker, but realized that i would have lots of energy and then crash so I quit. I had to quit cold turkey for a month or I would just get back into the habit. Now it's a treat once a week. I also found out that it can be linked to infertility, and this bean took a long time to come about so I was motivated to quit while TTC.

My naturopath said no coffee, chocolate, anything. I'm sure that is better but a girl's got to have some vices.

g.

#24 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 11:16 AM

The thing I've been wondering about caffeine is if/how it might affect the baby after birth?

With my first pg, I had NO caffeine until I was about 32 weeks, then I had a cup of coffee every other day or so, as needed for constipation. After ds was born, I resumed my usual habit (which was no more than a couple cups/day, some days I'd not have any at all--I've always been that way) and ds never seemed to be affecting by the caffeine through my breastmilk.

My second pregnancy, I had a cup every other day or so throughout. After dd was born, I was somewhat more stressed (due to our living situation) and started drinking it regularly--at least 2 cups/day. Still, never really noticed it affecting her. In fact, she was really pretty good at sleeping, and a very calm, patient infant (not so much now, at 3.5! ).

So, during pg #3, I was determined to improve my health in every aspect, and I used no caffeine whatsoever. Not even at the end--I found other ways to combat the constipation (none as effective as coffee, though!). After ds2 was born, I tried to stick with it, but gave up. And regretted it big time--he seemed very affected by it--irritable, fussy, acted like his tummy hurt, had trouble sleeping soundly, lots of 2am screaming fests, etc.

But ONLY when i'd had caffeine that day! On days when I had none, he was always the sweetest, happiest, most pleasant and sound-sleeping of all my babies! Once I figured out the connection, we never had another problem (well, HE didn't, anyway! ). In fact, i had to wake him to nurse him nearly every single night! I stopped night-waking him at about a year, and he was night-weaned just like that--not because I did anything, but because he was sleeping through. So, it's not that he was just a fussy, colicky sort of baby--it was definitely the caffeine.

So, I wonder....why the difference? Is that just the way he is hard-wired, and nothing to do with my choices during pg, or did my caffeine consumption (even though it was mild-moderate) during the other pregnancies somehow desensitize the others to it's effects?

Anyone else had any experience like this? Any thoughts?

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#25 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post
Now can we just spread the word about this? I stopped to get a mocha on my way to work yesterday and the woman making it said, "You want it decaf, right?", which made me feel guilty when I said "no"!!
No kidding. When I was pregnant with DS, the barista at Starbucks very sincerely said, "Should you be drinking this...?" to which I replied, "Should you be offering medical advice...?" The poor boy was quite embarrassed and apologetic, though.
#26 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
g&a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
No kidding. When I was pregnant with DS, the barista at Starbucks very sincerely said, "Should you be drinking this...?" to which I replied, "Should you be offering medical advice...?" The poor boy was quite embarrassed and apologetic, though.

I love your response!! That's classic!

I know I get looks at the coffee shop, too. Whatevah!

SheBear - a friend told me once that there was that connection, but I've yet to see actual solid evidence.....maybe we should all be drinking more.....: just kidding!

g.

#27 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Just be careful at places like Starbucks because they put a lot of caffeine in their drinks, and what they mean by one cup of coffee in those studies is 150 mg of caffeine (I think)... and a Starbucks coffee has more than that, if I recall correctly. (Which I may not )
Not really true. They don't "put" caffeine in coffee. Caffeine is in it naturally. Coca cola "puts" caffeine in Coke. They might extract a little more caffeine by their roasting or brewing methods. But, unless you're ordering a venti, I don't think it is much to worry about!

SBUX Web site actually lists the caffeine content of all of its drinks, you can check out their mg. on line.

Coffee is fine in moderation. It *is* wonderful to keep away the constipation, perhaps because it actually contains fiber, who knew!? (New study showed it contains fiber!)

And with no self interest motivation at all may I suggest a nice Costa Rican Tarrazu :
#28 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM

I've seen studies that say up to 300 mg a day is safe, which is quite a few home-brewed cups (usually 6-8 oz. of drip coffee) or a dozen 8 oz. cups of tea or 2 16 oz. espresso drinks like lattes or mochas. And the risk is only in the first trimester, anyway. When we went to Miami when I was pregnant with Andy, I drank cafe con leche every time we went out and he would go NUTS in there, doing his own little polka or something,
#29 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 04:43 PM

That could well be genetic, the variation, but I'll use it as another excuse to drink caffeine now anyway.

I am a much happier pregnant woman when I have my medium cappuccino extra-dry from Borders in the morning.
#30 of 44 Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 PM

I drink coffee too. however, the only 'bad thing' i've read about it is that it (coffee specifically) leaches minerals and washes them out of your body - so maybe consider doing the calcium & other mineral supplement[s] at a different time of the day than the coffee...

Tags
New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page