reading to baby in the womb? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone reading to their baby while in the womb? I'd like to start trying this, but I'm not really sure what to read to her at this stage. Since she obviously can't see what I'm looking at yet, I figure I would go for a book that isn't so picture-based like a lot of baby books are. I'd love any recommendations.
#2 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 PM

I read to my dd when she was in the womb. I read her the Little House in the Prairie series. Mostly for nostalgic reasons, as they were my fav books growing up. I must admit I haven't read to this baby yet... but seeing as I'm reading to dd all day long, I guess that will have to do.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#3 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 PM

I say just read whatever you feel like reading (novels, non-fiction, etc. ). I believe the benefits come from just hearing your voice and you thinking about/connecting with your little one.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#4 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 PM

If you're looking for something cute, "Oh Baby, the Places you'll go" is an adapted version of Dr. Seuss stories that is designed to be read in utero and is fun. I used to make DF read it to the belly before he got into talking to the baby.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#5 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Gosh, I didn't even start reading to my 2nd ds until he was close to a year....He still managed to find a love for books.

Guess it's just not something I'm into. I don't do much out loud talking to the baby in utero either.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#6 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabonder View Post
Is anyone reading to their baby while in the womb? I'd like to start trying this, but I'm not really sure what to read to her at this stage. Since she obviously can't see what I'm looking at yet, I figure I would go for a book that isn't so picture-based like a lot of baby books are. I'd love any recommendations.
When I was pregnant with Alex, I got a few Dr. Seuss books and repeatedly read them to her a lot. I think music and especially rhythmic reading is the only kind of thing that the baby will really notice. I listened to a lot of Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart, and Bach while pregnant and when she was a newborn, she did seem to like that music, but then, a lot of it is inherently very pleasant and soothing. She did NOT like Dr. Seuss for at least 4 months, despite the months I spent reading it to her while I was pregnant. When she was only a few months old, she liked really really simple books with few words and short words and simple bright pictures. If nothing else, the time I spent reading to Alex in the womb allowed me to feel connected to her and gave me an easy way to expose her to my voice even though I don't normally spend a lot of time talking in any given day.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#7 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 PM

My DH has read to the baby everyday since we found out I was pregnant. He reads all sorts of children's book and fairytales.

Heather, mama to Milo Grey 11.14.07 and Harper Moon 08.06.09

#8 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 AM

I haven't started stories yet, since I am only 14 weeks along and s/he doesn't have fully developed ears yet, but I think s/he can feel vibrations so I've started singing.

I also have an adult child and a teenager who I loved to read to, so I have a nice library of children's books, although I think I'm going to pick up the prenatal Dr. Seuss book. I'm going to go with a bit of repetition, because my son's special lullabye tape that I played for him every day before he was born was such a powerful soothing tool for "colic" and general unhappiness in the newborn period.

The first book I want to try is "The Lorax", followed by lots of Seuss and lots of Bob Munsch (not everyone cares for him, but my kids loved him) and some Shakespeare and Homer. I think something rythmic and musical would be good.

I wasn't very good about reading to my older kids as babies because I was very self conscious, but I definitely noticed a difference in ds's ability to understand literature, since he was exposed to my reading aloud to his sister from conception onward; he had very sophisticated tastes as a tiny child.

We liked bedtime stories, but frequently I was too tired to read as long as I wanted and outside activities and sleepovers sometimes interfered, so I also read the big kids "morning stories" before breakfast.

I do remember reading the newspaper and investment brochures and other purely adult material to Phoenix when she was an infant and she did seem to enjoy the sound of my voice even though she couldn't understand a word I was saying.

Heather Marie, if your library has Father Gander nursery rhymes, you guys might enjoy reading those to your bean. Big dd had the "Girls to the Rescue" series when she was old enough to read to herself and several other revampings of traditional fairytales that weren't quite so sexist.

The Laura Ingalls Wilder books were very special to me too and there are some picture book versions of favourite tales and remixes that leave out the more racist and dated parts of them. I self-edited them when dd was very young because she just couldn't understand my fondness for "that boring book about meat" (Big Woods).

How fortunate that I still have my thrift store paperbacks with all of my margin notes for littlest dd to enjoy!

I'm sure a lot has gone on in the world of Children's literature since my bg kids stopped wanting me to read to them (about two years ago; ds was thirteen) but I am so looking forward to dusting of the old favourites and finding some new ones.
#9 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 03:39 PM

My DH has been reading to my belly for months now. Classic children's literature and nursery rhymes and just makes up has own stories. My belly button is a smooshed innie and DH calls it the communication portal. He's gonna be such a silly daddy.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#10 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 04:45 PM

I don't know, maybe it's because this is #4 and I don't have that kind of disposable time anymore ... but I definitely haven't even thought of reading to baby. It's just not even on my radar when I am stretched this thin already.

I did a lot of talking to baby #1 and I believe even baby #2. Reading though, I don't remember doing it, but know that years and years ago music and rhythmic books read to baby were supposedly recognizable to babe after birth.

But parent's voices are usually recognizable (as long as dad is regularly talking to mom!). In the evenings when the kids are in bed, before we collapse, we talk and I tend to rub the budha belly the whole time absent-mindedly. I think the babe will definitely know or voices by the time it's born.. well, as easily as they can know a voice they've always heard under water!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#11 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 PM

DH read to ds in utero almost every night from about 20 weeks til he was born. He read his comic books out loud and would describe the pictures on the pages! It was pretty cute (when I was awake to hear it, as often as not , I was passed out while they read)! I think it made a big difference in how quickly ds recognized DH's voice. DS knew DH's voice immediately and always quickly took comfort from him.

This time 'round we plan on teaching ds a song to sing to baby sprout hoping that it will promote an early connectin between them.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#12 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 05:17 PM

My husband reads to my belly most nights now.. and honestly, it's as much a bonding thing for the two of us as it is something we do for the baby. I trust that the baby would recognize his voice without the reading, but I think it's a time for us to feel like parents together. Not to mention it's GREAT at putting me to sleep! I also think it helps my husband feel bonded with the baby, since I get to spend all day with it by virtue of being, well, pregnant!!
#13 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 05:19 PM

I don't think the content matters but I do know that at birth babies can distinguish their mother tongue from foreign languages based on speech patterns.

When I was PG with my DD, I was teaching HS English and read Beowulf aloud to three different classes. That's some scary stuff that my DD listened to in the womb. Ha ha. Still beautiful, though.
#14 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 PM

I'm a surrogate and my IPs (intended parents) made recording of themselves that I play to my belly each night. I haven't listened to them but I know IF read the prenatal Dr. Suess book for the bean. Like the others have said I think it has more to do with the rythm of the words rather than the content itself.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#15 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 08:40 PM

DS (almost 3yrs) and I are really chatty all day, and it seems like I'm reading to him constantly, so I think that'll be good enough.

I remember just seconds after DS was born, DH was holding him up by my face (cesarean birth), and I said something to DH and DS's head whipped around so fast to look at me. It was obvious he knew who I was.

I listened to so much NPR radio when I was pregnant with DS, I was sure he'd think Terry Gross and Noel Adams were his parents.
#16 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
If you're looking for something cute, "Oh Baby, the Places you'll go" is an adapted version of Dr. Seuss stories that is designed to be read in utero and is fun. I used to make DF read it to the belly before he got into talking to the baby.

We read that one, too. It's a cute book. We read it to dd2 when I was pregnant with her and we're reading it to this also. My dd's think the book is funny.
#17 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 PM

I think you can read them anything really, if they are listening at that stage in the wom, it is more the sound of your voice than anything that they concentrate on.
#18 of 19 Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
I listened to so much NPR radio when I was pregnant with DS, I was sure he'd think Terry Gross and Noel Adams were his parents.
laughup

Haha....I listen to Terry Gross pretty much every night, too, but on my ipod, otherwise DD would probably totally think she was family.

My SIL read to her 3rd child while in utero (but not her first two) and the third one is completely a bookworm, so it definitely got me intrigued with the idea. Right now I'm reading a lot of parenting / childbirth books, but I feel so silly reading those aloud to her! Maybe I'll check out the Laura Ingalls books. Keep the ideas coming!
#19 of 19 Old 08-15-2007, 03:40 PM

We (usually DH) read "guess how much I love you" every night to DS in utero. Plus any other kids books off the shelf that caught my attention. Then about halfway thru the pregnancy I started reading "the phantom tollbooth" - It was a favorite of mine as a kid - DH really enjoyed it. I'd read a chapter a night to us. It was a wonderful bedtime ritual that we continued after he was born too - starting in the hospital that very night.

Now DS LOVES books and has since he could reach out and grab them from us as we read to him. He is 2, reads constantly to himself and with us (even to us!) - lately he has been bringing me chapter books off my shelf and wanting me to read them - can I tell you how weird, but cool, it was to sit and read the first chapter of Moby Dick to my 2yo! Although I did put that one away and take out some more kid friendly titles.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page