High risk pregnancy support group? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there such a thing on MDC? My last baby was a homebirth but due to circumstances completely out of my control my next pregnancy will be highly medicalized and high risk.

Anyone else? I can't possibly be alone here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 09:30 PM

I am/was high risk. I am giving birth on Monday though so can just give you a bump. In my case all the things they predicted would go wrong have not so a lot of it was "worst case scenerio" and added to my anxiety.

Of course I still need to get through the birth and home with baby before I can really relax.

Being high risk meant I saw the peris until recently. It was fine and I declined testing that I didn't want without any problems.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:48 AM

You're not alone!

This is my third pregnancy and i'm high risk for all 3.

My first was a C-Sec, second a miracle VBAC and i'm aiming for a natural birth this time around but i am really scared. My medical establishment can't wait to get their surgical hands on me. And my Perinatologist, the only one that supports me is on vacation the week i'm due to deliver.

I have to admit that i am really frightened to go into labor.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:49 AM

I'm high risk too.

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:08 PM

I'm high risk as well. You are not alone. I can't wait to hold my little one in my arms and know that she is healthy. I feel just like momuveight2B, I will not be completely relaxed until the entire process is over.

It has helped me very much to visualize holding a full term healthy baby in my arms.... and that she is perfectly healthy and ready to be brought home to meet her big brother.

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 PM

Count me in...
Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

I hope that we can gather a few mamas here who are either veteran high risk moms or newbies like me who are scared out of their pants.

I am in the 2ww right now so not actually pregnant yet. Maybe in a few days I will be "officially" pregnant, who knows.

I am high risk because of a clotting disorder which has caused me to miscarry twice already this year and at may have also been the cause of a previous miscarriage.

Right now I am on low dose aspirin daily and as soon as I get a BFP I will be starting on twice daily heparin injections. My high risk OB has told me to expect ultrasounds weekly for at least the first 10-20 weeks and then at least every other week after that. Add in the 50 or so blood tests I can expect and it is going to be a very intervention-filled pregnancy.

This is all so new and scary to me. My son was born at home, in the water, under the stars and caught by his Daddy. To be thrust from that peaceful birthing place into this new medical reality is very intense. I am having a hard time coming to terms with it all.

For me it feels like I am being told to change my religion for 9 months. Does that make sense to any of you?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 PM

I'm high risk because of hyperemesis gravidarum, but that technically is under management so I'm not too worried. I am also "at risk for" PTL because I had a LOT with DS and this pg is right on that one's heels. And I had pre-pre-e last time, placenta previa (it moved finally), premature rupture of the membranes (officially; I think it was perfect timing) and a LBW baby. So history is not on my side but overall I'm still confident. I don't know if you'd consider me a veteran but I'm more than willing to talk if anyone wants to.

I had the world's best birth though (despite back labor and compound presentation ) so I was lucky with that. And DS is doing great too. So there is hope!

And regarding your feelings... ya know, I felt the same with DS, but sometimes it's OK to go with it (as long as your instincts aren't crying out against the intervention). Sometimes we do need help! Medical interventions / medications etc totally suck, but if you need them to get through pg it doesn't make you weak, as long as you're an active participant in your care. Do lots of research, ask questions, discuss options, make informed choices. After your child is out in the world, you will have the rest of your life to raise them according to your beliefs.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Yes me too. And to make matters worse, I'm on strict bed rest for 5 months of it, which brings my risk rate higher, since the last pregnancy I got a pulmonary embolism... yikes!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post
I am high risk because of a clotting disorder which has caused me to miscarry twice already this year and at may have also been the cause of a previous miscarriage.
This is my third pregnancy after IVF, two miscarriages and two ectopics. Each pregnancy I was on injections until twelve weeks, starting about a month before becoming pregnant and other meds. I have a four year old from IVF, then a miscarriage and now ready to give birth once again. With this pregnancy I had a subchrionic bleed from weeks 8-14, where I bled everyday like a period and sometimes even heavier. I had to stay on bedrest during that time. It has been tough.

However every day when I look at my beautiful daughter it is so worth it. I am a better parent than I was before because I have come to appreciate the miracle of life even more. I know when I see my little son this week it will be worth it all too.

In the end when you have your baby it is worth everything you go through to get there.

User Tag List