Determined to NOT get morning sickness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-12-2003, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so I'm not absolutely positive but I'm pretty sure that I'm pg. I know, it's a little early but hey, what can I say? Anyway, I'm determined to NOT have the severe morning sickness this time that I've gotten the last five times. Any advice would be welcomed!!! Thanks!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 13 Old 07-12-2003, 11:30 PM

Congratulations if you are!!!
No advice on the morning sinkness.
#3 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 01:22 AM

I had 9 mos of m/s sickness with my last pregnancy. I did lots of research in the past months hoping to find anything that I didn't try before. I did find one thing. Several sources speculate that m/s can be a liver issue and that your liver may need detoxing. Milk thistle extract is recommended for that.

I started taking it about 1.5/2 mos. before getting pg. I am having VERY little m/s this time compared to last time. Now, I am only 6wks pg, but I was already sick as a dog last time. This time I only feel sick if I ignore my bodies signals to eat. I have no idea if its the milk thistle supplement I'm taking or not that is helping.

The other thing I'm doing differently is not ignoring those signals. A lot of times I don't feel hungry so early on I was delaying getting a snack even though I thought I needed one. I would start to feel more and more nauseous and then I really didn't want to eat. It's a bad cycle. So I've just been trying to plan on needing a small meal or snack every 2 hours or so, whether I feel HUNGRY or not. It's working! I don't think it would have eleminated the m/s last time, but I think it would have helped a lot.

Oh, and not working a 40-hour work week this time helps me out an awful lot too!

Congrats and good luck!

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#4 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 05:13 AM

Do let us know if/when congratulations are in order!

I was lurking here in the wee hours with insomnia reminiscent of my pregnancy with Dd, who knows what's going on...my stomach is also not right...

I had nasty nighttime sickness with Dd. A friend suggested I go on a macrobiotic diet. It's pretty complicated to do all out, but I got some cookbooks and just selected the recommended foods, avoided the forbidden foods. I did so much better, that I lapsed off the diet. I ate a kiwi. And I was looking at the toilet bowl again!

As I said, my stomach has been touchy the past few days, and I went back on the macrobiotic diet, from which I had deviated because of low milk supply. I haven't deviated much, but it doesn't take much to upset the balance the diet seems to create. I'm feeling much better. I'm also stopping eating while I'm still a little hungry. I hate being hungry, and usually I have a huge appetite, but of late I'm finding I'd rather feel a little hungry, than sick. I was ravenous when I was pregnant, but one bite too many and I'd be really uncomfortable. So if I had it to do over again, I'd do the macrobiotic diet without any cheating, and I'd purposely make sure I'm still hungry when I stop eating, but eat again within 2 hours to avoid too much hunger and get enough food.

Now this is the second vote for eating every 2 hours.
#5 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 07:10 AM

I know how that feels all right! I was so sick with my first baby I lost over 22 pounds. With my second it wasn't bad because I was still nursing my first. For some reason nursing really helped me with the sickness. However, with this third baby (I'm now in my fifth month) I felt terrible. I tried everything-aromatherapy, homeopathic medicines, special foods-you name it.

What worked for me: Eating and drinking whenever I felt nauseated. Resting as often as possible (lying down really helped). Big slices of watermelon. Eating homemade sprouted wheat bread. Ginger (drinks, lozenges, essential oils). Bergamot essential oil (bath with dead sea salt or in the aromatherapy lamp). Eating Wendy's mandarin orange chicken salads. Letting my husband take care of the smelly jobs-from changing the kids diapers, emptying the trash, cooking and doing the dishes (Okay. He did almost everything! ) Keeping my mind occupied and my body at rest. This time I didn't lose any weight, but I didn't gain either.

What didn't work for me: eating chocolate or tomato sauce (eww! Just stay away). Eating dairy products (especially cheese). Garlic and white pepper. You get the idea....

I don't know of any real cure. I do know that some people take a half pill of Unisom-but I think this is quite dangerous. Others take B-6 pills. Some take a cocktail of the two. One of my friends talked me into it and, because I was desparate and sick, I tried the Unisom. Yikes! I couldn't breathe after taking it although it did take the edge off my naseau. I decided after that scary experience that no drug was worth it. The best cure for me has been time and rest. Luckily after 12 weeks I'm usually in tip top shape again.

Good luck! Morning sickness sucks rocks. I hope you don't get a full blown case.
#6 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 09:19 AM

I don't know about the sickness, other than papaya and ginger whenever you feel your stomach,

I just wanted to be the first to congratulate EKBLAD8 !!!!!!
#7 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 10:26 AM

I don't have any suggestions about the m/s but wanted to say congratulatons

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#8 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrystabel
I do know that some people take a half pill of Unisom-but I think this is quite dangerous. Others take B-6 pills. Some take a cocktail of the two. One of my friends talked me into it and, because I was desparate and sick, I tried the Unisom. Yikes! I couldn't breathe after taking it although it did take the edge off my naseau.
The only thing that's dangerous about the unisom/b-6 combo is that people are self-medicating with it. Unisom is diphenhydramine, aka Benadryl. Nothing else and nothing special about it. Combined with the b-6 it really can combat horrible nausea for people. However, benadryl is a drug that a lot of people are sensitive to. For some it causes horrible fatigue and exhaustion (my mom once took benadryl from a prescription and slept foor 72 hours straight!) and for others it can cause excitability, causing your heart to race and your breathing to speed up. Just like you would do before you take *anything*, you need to know if you're in one of the categories of people who react extremely to benadryl before you can decide if the b-6/unisom will work for you.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#9 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 10:48 AM

Good luck on being pg!! :-) And good luck about m/s too. This is my second pg and I'm feeling it pretty bad again. What seems to be helping is eating a banana before bed with my vitamin, and eating another one very slowly when I wake up. I've tried crackers and ginger tea and all that and for some reason the bananas work. Of course it took me a few weeks to discover this and those weeks were awful.

I heard that one of the hypnobirthing programs has an excercise to talk yourself out of morning sickness.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 13 Old 07-14-2003, 11:07 AM

I think the take away lesson in everyone's responses is that there is no one thing that can treat or prevent morning sickness! Seems like everyone has to find their own path.

The first time around for me (lost 35 lbs.) I could only eat nachos for two months. This time (only lost 5 so far!) nachos completely gross me out. However, this time I'm taking Zofran which is really helping - it's not perfect and I'm still queasy all the time, but at least I can function most of the time. There hasn't been one single food or drink that's been a helper so I'm just trying to get through each day as it comes.

Depending upon how you feel about pharmaceutical assistance, you may want to ask your doctor about Zofran. It's wickedly expensive, but it works for a lot of people.
#11 of 13 Old 07-14-2003, 07:43 PM

OMG!! I havent been in these parts in ages...wow that was quick , lol!! No real advice..just keep yourself well hydrated I suppose and CONGRATULATIONS!!! I wanna know how so many mama's get their AF back so soon after babies... I am 7mths PP here and no sign of the old hag!!

Sending NO :Puke vibes your way!!!!
#12 of 13 Old 07-14-2003, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm Fertile Mertile and get my periods back early everytime. With baby #4 it was 8 weeks post partum! I exclusively breastfeed and extended breastfeed. Go figure! Soon I'll be nursing three! LOL!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#13 of 13 Old 07-15-2003, 12:14 AM

Congrats!

I had major m/s with ds and very little this time. I seem to only get queasy on an empty stomach..but next it'll be on a full stomach....

No real advice....

I know about being fertil mertile...I got pg when ds was 5 or 6 months-miscarried, got pg again when ds was 10 months- chemical pg...and when ds turned 13 months I got that bfp-- and this babe is pretty sticky!! I got ppaf at 6 weeks with ds...I'm sure it'll be the same thing this time too......

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page