Cat Scratches in Pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am almost 7 months along and I am a kitty foster mom. We work with ferals and/or tame kittens that are found/given, etc. This one is by far the most spastic I have dealt with and I am not sure I can even reach in to clean the water bowl that just got litter dumped into it.

By chance, if I get scratched, is there something to worry about?

With this one, I believe it's been inside long enough in another foster home that any Toxoplasmosis has run its course (I am probably already immune anyway...???) so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

But if I get a deep enough gash, are other bacterias from the litter box something I should worry about more than the usual cuts and scrapes from other objects. I mean, this might be a stupid question, but what exactly is "cat scratch fever?" Is that just named for a Toxoplasmosis infection?

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#2 of 8 Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 AM

We adopted a tame and a feral (5 wk old) kitten a few mos ago. When I took them to the vet for worming meds I asked if I was in danger of toxoplasmosis. The vet said it's not a big deal.

I've also received some pretty major scratches from the cats, especially when the feral one was young. He's about 4 mos now.

I think if you treat it w/ TTO or some other good natural antibacterial thing you'll be ok.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#3 of 8 Old 08-19-2007, 12:38 AM

Cat scratch fever is real, my dh had it as a kid (but from a nail or something totally non cat related). I would get the test done to be sure you already have immunity to the toxo stuff and then just use caution and be sure to clean any cuts really well.

Hope kitty settles in quickly
#4 of 8 Old 08-19-2007, 10:32 AM

I would be more worried about a cat bite than a scratch, but both can easily become infected, so like the other posters said just be sure to clean any scratches very well and then keep an eye on them for signs of infection. I would go straight to the doc though if that kitty freaks to the point of biting you. Even a kitten bite can bring on an intense infection (that a doc can easily deal with) so I wouldn't waste any time with bites, but you will probably be fine with the scratches that might be coming your way provided you are really good about cleaning right away. I've got several scratches right now and I just cleaned them well and they are fine.

I've never looked into this, but I was told that there is something in the cat's salivia that makes their bites more prone to infection. But again, I never bothered looking into it because who wants to get bit anyway so why should I care about why I shouldn't get bit I avoided bites when I worked at a shelter because I knew it hurt, that was good enough for me.

Good luck with kitty! It is so tough when they are scared of everything, I hope he/she is able to relax soon.

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
#5 of 8 Old 08-19-2007, 02:35 PM

If you're really worried, you could reach in for the water dish while wearing an oven mitt. I agree with the PPs about treatment, but prevention is the best medicine.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#6 of 8 Old 08-19-2007, 03:57 PM

DEFINITELY get the scratch checked out if it becomes infected and does not clear up right away. I'm 33 years old and got cat scratch fever last January from our dear cat. I refused to take the antibiotics that they prescribed and used alternative medicine to clear up the infection, but it took months. If this happened while pregnant, I think that you'd have to take the antibiotics.

Anyhow, probably not a big deal, but I'd check it out if the scratch does not heal quickly.
#7 of 8 Old 08-20-2007, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

This kitty is really small and literally leaps from the floor of the cage to the top and bounds all over, hissing, spitting, growling and screaming the whole time. Like a Tasmanian Devil. What a spaz!

But in just a day, it's already settled in enough that I can stand by the cage talking and it just growls at me instead of all the noise and jumping. And I was able to change the water with a few hisses and loud growls, but kitty never moved.

I should be able to clean out the litter box tomorrow. Hopefully if I do this right I won't get a scratch. I very rarely get hurt as I am way too cautious with them.

I leave them in the cage where they see and hear everyone and everything until they naturally settle down a bit. Then the house noises don't scare them so much anymore, they see my 16 pound cat and any foster cats/kittens we have that are happily playing around, getting affection from humans, etc.

I talk and coo at kitty on my way by, but leave them alone until I think they're ready to be pet with a toweled hand and/or wrapped in a towel like a burito so I can carry them around and nuzzle the head. Then go from there.

Anywhoo, I will be really careful and will call/see someone if I get scratched or bit. I've seen my hubby go through both very bad scratches and bites from our foster kitties and MAN I don't want to deal with that.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#8 of 8 Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 AM

It sounds like kitty is on their way to living the good kitty life. It's so hard to watch them go through that transitional stage. I hope things keep getting better and better!

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page