Marijuana Use During Pregnancy and CPS Involvement - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know of two pregnant women who smoked (weed) during their pregnancies, one longer and more heavily than the other. One woman stopped at around 30 weeks, was tested, and tested clean. The other quit smoking a mere two weeks before her baby was born and she, too, tested clean. Both of these women were on medicaid, which is why their babies were tested.

I do believe that they can only test the mother, at least in indiana, and that if the test comes up positive, a home study, or something similar will be conducted before CPS takes any action against the mother.

i hope this is at least in some way comforting. both of those mamas were worried that their babies would get taken away from them too. remember to drink plenty of water to flush your system, as well as baby's.
#32 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 12:20 AM

i just wanted to add that i worked in a very large NICU, level 3, and we had a decent amount of babies that were born addicted to real drugs, like crack, heroin, etc.

anyway! we did NOT routinely check moms or babies for drugs. babies might be checked if something seems REALLY REALLY off with them. like babies coming off of crack/ cocaine, heroin, etc. have severely high pitched cries and they are jittery beyond belief. holding doesn't make it better, but large swining motions would calm them.

i DOUBT you or your baby would strike anyone as "odd" and therefore needed to perform a drug test on either of you. we NEVER had a baby in our NICU born addicted to pot. and if there ever was, i didn't know about it. they obviously do not have the same symptoms as truly drug addicted babies.

i would try not to stress about it. NO one is going to check the baby's meconium or your placenta for drugs. and as long as you don't show up high, i'm sure all will be fine

oh yeah, AND i wanted to tell you that a lot of our babies that were born addicted to drugs DID end up going home with their mothers. CPS might have gotten involved while they were in the NICU, but as long as the moms were making steps in the right direction they let the babies go home with them.
#33 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 01:07 AM

I don't know where in Georgia you are, but would delivering at the Farm in Tennessee be an option for you? It's in Summertown, which is kind of south-central TN. It might be worth a call...
#34 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 01:13 AM

Please take a deep breath

I know women in GA who have had midwife-attended homebirths Definitely try to find a midwife. Even this late in the game it would be worth it to ease your worry. From what I understand, if you had to transfer, the legality just means that your midwife cannot attend you to the hospital (like a midwife in WA - where I am can). It's pretty much a drop at the door type of thing (mamas in GA please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

There's no reason for the hospital to test your baby. They would be much more likely to test you and if it's been at least a month since you last smoked at the time you give birth then you'll test clean. You could test clean as early as 2 weeks from the last time you smoked, but after a month it's virtually guaranteed. Drink a ton of water (which you should be doing anyhow) and that'll help flush it out as well.

I think you'll be fine and I also have yet to find anything showing that cannabis use during pregnancy harms babies so don't worry about your babe either. Focus on making it through the rest of your pregnancy and maybe searching for a midwife.

love and peace.
mamabear7 likes this.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#35 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredmama3 View Post
God, I just really hate this country.
Then move. Simple as that. Make the plans and move to a country that better fits your life style and choices.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but if you hate living somewhere, it makes a lot of sense to create a plan to make your situation better. Ie research immigration requirements, save for the move, get jobs, etc.
#36 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 01:37 AM

Oh, and FYI KleenPee works. I don't know how safe it is in pregnancy, but I know from professional experience with clients that it works.
#37 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 01:47 AM

I think when someone says they hate their country, particularly America recently, it is just a few things about it, not the whole country. It's like "God I hate America" when they mean, "God I hate the tyranny of the CPS and the Bush administration and our health system" or whatever. Big issues that affect family life but not big enough to move, usually. Moving countries is a massive undertaking esp when you have family and friends where you live. I know this, cos my husband is American. He made that move and it isn't easy, and it isn't legal either unless you marry into the country, which is similar for many other countries. She's upset, and rightly so (the slobbering, intrusive laws can be frustrating at times). Moving just isn't as "simple as that".

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#38 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 01:53 AM

I wanted to send ((((HUGS)))) and say how I am happy you have gotten support here.

I wanted to also say that forget the drugs, the reason why you medicate is an issue...... keep going to see people till you find someone who can get this stuff out of you. You have issues. I have them too. They will not go away or be ignored. I spent 2 years in a house not able to leave. I smoke. I make no excuse for it. I am sick! I am pregnant and still I will have a smoke now and then and I hide it. I am ashamed. I think it is worse the mj but I WILL NOT do some illegal and risk my family, though I have friends, people in high jobs with lots of money, who do it. The mother judged me for smoking and I just about cracked as at least CPS will not com after me for it. My biggest fear by the way.

I am still looking for that person who can help me heal so I stop breaking down and feeling like I "need" a smoke. I will keep looking and I will keep fighting, but I will not think I am ok, because I am not. I need help.

I think you do too..... all this guilt can not help either of us, just another part of it all. I hope you find someone. I hope I do too.

Blessings,
Kimmy

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#39 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
Then move. Simple as that. Make the plans and move to a country that better fits your life style and choices.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but if you hate living somewhere, it makes a lot of sense to create a plan to make your situation better. Ie research immigration requirements, save for the move, get jobs, etc.
Well, I love what this country was founded on, but I hate what it's turned into. I do love the country enough to stay and fight to try to get it back to its roots. I don't want to give up on this country, even though it does seem a little hopeless to get back to the point where we were when it was founded.
#40 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 08:53 AM

I'm glad you're getting support here!

I just wanted to ask... why is being on medicaid cause to test the baby for drugs? That really seems like discrimination to me.
#41 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 10:26 AM

I do know of a woman in CA who lost her baby because she tested positive for crystal meth during delivery. I believe they only tested the mom, not the baby. And I also believe they had probable cause, which was probably a complaint by the father. I don't believe that they can just randomly drug test an infant in the hospital, and I would venture that it is a huge infringement on your right to privacy.
#42 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeirishlass View Post
I believe they only tested the mom, not the baby.
Good point. Have you considered that they might test you?

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#43 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 03:13 PM

I would call (or even just take the tour) of the hospital you are considering using for the birth and ask them what are ALL of the routine tests and procedures they do on the newborn. I did that just for my own knowledge and they did not say drug test... And I'm in California. Hopefully that will give you an idea of what to expect without having to raise any questions about drug testing.

I hope you can find a therapist that will work through your social anxiety issues, too. Maybe avoiding psychiatrists and trying to find a clinical social worker or therapist will help with them wanting to just prescribe stuff. Talk therapy really can be a wonderful thing...

Hugs to you and your little one.
#44 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 03:26 PM

When I had my DS they tested him for everything including drugs (it was hospital policy) I thought it was stupid because they did a routine drug test at my OB's office (I think in mid-pregnancy) I would stop smoking asap, and find out what your hospital policies are... oh do you know if drug exposure is considered child abuse in your state? I would defiantly check the laws on that.
#45 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 04:02 PM

did some digging this might be helpful.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwi...exposedall.pdf
#46 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 06:19 PM

I am a lawyer and used to represent parents in California involved with CPS. Here in CA it is a requirement that the mother consent when testing is requested, and yet often people do consent, even knowing they will test positive. You should have a right to refuse the testing, and even if your refusal should draw suspicion, there would need to be some other evidence to pursue the matter further. So definitely decline testing.

Just FYI on MJ in your system. It is true that you will stop testing positive around 30-60 days after quitting. But after any strenuous exercise (like birthing a child), THC stored in your fatty tissues will be released, and you would test positive on a test given to you shortly afterward, even if you'd quit 6-12 months previously. I had this happen with a client who went to the gym and worked out, then tested positive. But the professionals understand this phenomenon, and when his levels zoomed back down for the next test, they did not consider the positive one a "dirty" test.

Here in CA, when clients' babies tested positive for drugs, CPS took the baby into protective custody right away. When it was just the client testing positive, sometimes the baby was taken, sometimes not.

I don't see a hospital social worker alerting on your case as being one for investigation, unless your child displays symptoms of drug withdrawal, which I've never heard of happening with MJ. I think the pps' suggestions of asking ahead of time what the routine testing procedures are, as well as getting a doula, are excellent ways to relieve some of the anxiety you're having about this issue. If you have a take-charge attitude each time you meet with your care providers, they won't blink an eyelash when later you decline things using a pp's canned statement about research and what you've deemed right for your family.

Lacy 35 and Chris 35, DS Jakob 2, and EDD 1/1/11
#47 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 PM

I personally do not smoke and would never consider doing so with a child inside of me. It may be your choice but it is illegal and is not worth losing my child over.

After saying that I will tell you what I do know. My mother smoked throughout her entire pregnancy with me and I never had a health problem in the world. Therefor I have to say from experience that your child will most likely suffer no ill effects from your habit.
#48 of 80 Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
It is so stupid that something like this has you so stressed out. I'm so sorry you're going through this! Some things just have no business being illegal. I don't have anything helpful to add, I just wanted to offer my support. I do hope you find answers & peace.
mamabear7 likes this.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#49 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 03:53 AM

My mom had her 4th child taken from her for testing positive. She never got him back and he was adopted out.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#50 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
My mom had her 4th child taken from her for testing positive. She never got him back and he was adopted out.
Testing positive for marijuana? I find it hard to believe she didn't get him back if that's the case, she stopped using marijuana, had a stable job and home and was otherwise a fit parent. If her situation didn't mirror my own, I'm not really sure what your point is in coming here and trying to scare me with this story, though I am sorry for what happened to your mother. It seems there are other circumstances involved which you've left out for some reason.

While I am worried he may be taken from me for a short period of time, I definitely do not think they would terminate our rights as parents altogether over something like this. Even the most anti-MJ states in the country aren't that ridiculously stupid.
#51 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I am not sure you've put the same amount of effort into researching the effects of this as it's obviously something you'd never do.
You, and others on this board, keep talking about all the research you found that convinced you it was ok. Do you mind sharing it with me? I could find no such research. I looked, I did. Everything I found says bad idea. I'm just wondering, did I look in the wrong place or something?
#52 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you Grace. I have seen a professional for these issues who only wanted to medicate me with drugs that have side effects much more severe than marijuana which didn't help nearly as much. Talking through my issues has done nothing to change my personality or anxiety levels. I am willing to live with them and force myself to cope for the sake of my child. I do wish I would have had the courage to do that sooner though.
You might want to see a different professional. Moreover, can I add something? The side effects from mood-regulating drugs are not identical from person to person. Not everyone reacts to them precisely the same way. Some people do smoke MJ for depression, social anxiety, bipolarity, and so forth, but given the legal and personal risks, it's not worth it.

Can I also point out something else? There are few known side effects for MJ on babies because there have been no studies. Really, can you imagine pitching the idea of having pregnant women smoke MJ to a committee or review board? "No known side effects" doesn't mean there are no side effects or no long-term consequences. Hopefully, there are no side effects, but we basically don't know that.

The other thing is that if you continue to smoke MJ after your child's birth, you'll pass on the THC to her/him in your breastmilk or s/he will inhale secondhand smoke. You're putting her or him at risk for getting taken away by CPS every day you have pot in your house. One snarky neighbor or relative with a grudge is all it would take.

Honestly, I feel for you about the social anxiety. Please, please see another doctor and give the medication a try when you stop BFing. Antidepressants and other mood regulators need to be taken for about six months or so, if I remember rightly, in order to work with your body. Maybe it's less, but I know there's an adjustment period.

I realize I'll risk a fecal attack from the hate police for saying this, but if your social anxiety is serious enough and the meds would affect the baby if you BF'd, this might be one time when formula would be the better choice.

Best of luck to you and your baby.
#53 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 02:25 PM

I dont live in the states so i dont know how all that works, but i just wanted to send you
I think its a good idea to not smoke anything while you are pregnant, we dont know how THC affects the baby *it affects Me nicely* and when you inhale smoke the oxigen supply is diminished.
I understand that you dont want medications, and if my anxiety issues were serious i would rather smoke MJ, thats been used for ages, than using a pharmaceutical drug that maybe in two years they realize it was full of undesired effects.
But what about other ways of coping with anxiety? How about yoga, tai chi, getting massage? When my partner is anxious i give him a good deep hand massage, and it does wonders!
good luck!
namaste
#54 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 03:12 PM

There was a woman here on MDC from Texas who did have CPS involvement due to marijuana use. I don't think it would be right for me to post her username, and I'm not even sure if she hangs out here anymore, but you might want to go to the Texas find your tribe. Also she used to hang out on a tribe, I think it was called MJ Mamas? Anyway this was at least a year ago so like I said I don't know if she'd still be around to help you by sharing her experience (if she was willing in the first place.)
MJ Mamas tribe also may have more knowledge in this area for you.
#55 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
The office I go to for prenatal care hasn't done any drug tests (or if they have, they haven't informed me of them, which I would consider odd.)
I just wanted to share my experience with you.

I live in Washington. My first midwife appointment with my 3rd child I was sent over to the lab for 'tests'. I didn't meet my midwife during this first appointment, only her nurse. While talking with the nurse she was filing out my lab form. She automatically put on the lab form the quad screen and the cystic fibrosis test. I declined them both. If I wouldn't have been paying attention I never would've known as she didn't ASK me if I wanted either of those.

So I got to the lab and asked the lady at the front desk to explain to me exactly what tests were ordered...

Oh there was a drug test. They called it something else, like a 'substance abuse screen' and it was written in initials. I didn't decline as I don't have any substance abuse issues and haven't smoked pot in years, but I was very surprised.

That was definitely without my knowledge or consent.

Just wanted to let you know that they very well may have screened you for drugs, and if they did your positive result may already be in your file. Did you doctor ever ask you if you were a drug user? I know mine did, as well as asking about my drinking habits. (which are non-existent. When I drink its a glass of wine with dinner on occasion) If he/she did, and you lied about it, they may already be planning on testing you at birth and testing your baby. I'd assume a positive tox screen at the beginning of pregnancy would definitely be 'probable cause'.

If I were you I'd ask my doctor for a copy of my records (for you 'personal files') and I'd find out exactly what was in there.

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
#56 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
While I am worried he may be taken from me for a short period of time, I definitely do not think they would terminate our rights as parents altogether
and THAT is not enough to make you want to quit? Even a week without my child would leave me an emotional wreck! Not only that but you have to also remember you will then be in the system and people will be watching over all aspects of your parenting for YEARS!
#57 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Blythe View Post
and THAT is not enough to make you want to quit? Even a week without my child would leave me an emotional wreck! Not only that but you have to also remember you will then be in the system and people will be watching over all aspects of your parenting for YEARS!
What I read in her posts, is that she HAS quit. She is worried about the THC being found in the baby's meconium/blood from her prior marijuana use.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#58 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingMinnesota View Post
I just wanted to share my experience with you.

I live in Washington. My first midwife appointment with my 3rd child I was sent over to the lab for 'tests'. I didn't meet my midwife during this first appointment, only her nurse. While talking with the nurse she was filing out my lab form. So I got to the lab and asked the lady at the front desk to explain to me exactly what tests were ordered...

Oh there was a drug test. They called it something else, like a 'substance abuse screen' and it was written in initials. I didn't decline as I don't have any substance abuse issues and haven't smoked pot in years, but I was very surprised.
Same for me. During the nurse visit I had a sign a form stating that I knew the dangers of drugs (not just MJ) and that they were doing a drug test and at any time during the pregnancy they could do a random test if they suspected anything. If I refused or tested positive durning the pregnancy, I would be referred to a high-risk OB and no longer accepted in their practice.
#59 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 08:07 PM

A woman I used to work with, her daughter was on TN's state insurance TennCare and they tested her without her knowledge or consent and found that she had smoked pot through the pregnancy. CPS was called in and she had to submit to random drug test every week for a few months and still has unannounced visits from them.
#60 of 80 Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 PM

I'm really interested in social welfare / Medicaid / stereotypes / benefits and the like, I do a lot of research on this generally and am even considering going back to school for an additional degree in social work.

That said... I'm trying so hard to find a state by state guideline about Medicaid and drug testing policies, but I can't find it anywhere online. (Maybe I'm slow on the uptake but I'm usually really good at tracking down info over the net!) I wonder why it's so hard to find... are they keeping it secret on purpose? Does anyone know where I could find out about the state of CT's policies specifically? Or actually the official policies of other states too, I'm just interested in a state by state breakdown.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page