Marijuana Use During Pregnancy and CPS Involvement - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 AM
 
Hanbonem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ATL
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a baby in GA and there was no automatic testing done at the hospital. As for the miconium, he passed that in the middle of the night and the nurse wasn't particularly interested in it. She just looked and threw the diaper away. I would try not to worry about it. Especially if there's nothing in your manner or history or wrong with the baby that would lead them to be suspicious.

I also had a midwife assist me with the birth, and I had a very positive experience. They were all about me keeping the baby with me and didn't try to take him anywhere. Maybe my momma bear instincts were dulled after 36 hours of labor, but I didn't mind them holding him and getting him cleaned up while I delivered the placenta and got stitched up. The people helping you are there to assist and will likely be very sensitive and caring. Midwives certainly aren't illegal in GA but then I don't know of anyone that's done a home birth.

Best of luck to you in the last weeks of your pregnancy, I hope you start to feel better about this.
Hanbonem is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-26-2013, 12:25 AM
 
unicornmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: uppereast TN
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those who mentioned how supossedly bad smoking mj is during pregnancy, google Megan Drehrer. She has done extensive studies on it which showed either no difference or a positive difference in babies who were exposed to mj in the womb.
unicornmama is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 04:13 PM
 
Annie Pyron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Get that baby out safely Mama and then move to Colorado! Get the rights you need and deserve! I've been using edibles and toking most days, taking breaks on days or weeks when I feel that I'm strong enough to control the anxiety and depression, but have cut back in order to play it safe. I know someone recommended counseling... But the 15 therapists I've seen and the couple of "medications" I've tried from "the best" psychiatrists kind of ruined my life at those times, several of which made me suicidal which was never a problem pre-therapy....... MJ is a gift from God, that's what our family believes. Some people don't need it, some over-do it, some know nothing about the healing effects of proper strain knowledge and usage. You need high CBDs to help your anxiety. Sorry to preach, I'll stop there, but I truly understand how you feel. I grew up in Texas, my fiance in Georgia, and when we got pregnant we decided to say "see ya!" to the misinformed, harsh realities of southern living.

 

I am 32 weeks and have had some of your concerns run through my mind from internet finds. We're using Medicad for check-ups (which have been semi helpful, except that the doctor's don't seem to care very much about me or our baby's natural needs or health, they seem bored even) and doing a doula-assisted or "Unassisted" home water birth. I'm considered low risk, and am researching like crazy to prepare for this. I just can't put me or my beloved child in the hands of un-compassionate people who won't understand who I am and what my beliefs are. I hope you know your options, maybe you can explore some non-hospital birthing options for your sweet baby. Either way, I wish you a wonderful experience. I've been doing affirmationsforpregnancy.com and reading a lot of Birth Without Fear literature to ease my anxieties. Some days are rough, but I know deep down that I can do anything I set my mind to, including healing my anxiety from childhood, and so can you beautiful woman! Love and light to you. <3

Annie Pyron is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 05:16 PM
 
dinahx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: earth
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of y'all have next to no real info & plenty of judgement. Actually PubMed.gov has extensive studies on this topic. As it is the most widely used substance in pregnancy besides tobacco, why wouldn't they? It is really silly to say there haven't been any studies on a topic before yk, checking the spot where all the studies are kept?

Also, let us remember it is not a blanket 'illegal' in every state *even in the US*, about 1/3-1/2 of the US has now legalized it for medicinal use.

OP: do you know what is actually, statistically WAY more dangerous than Cannabis in pregnancy? Birthing without assistance (I know we have support only UC forums but this isn't one).

So don't put your baby in a risky situation JUST to avoid CPS. CPS is not that scary & they don't routinely remove babies for Cannabis alone, not even for a week. However Cannabis plus unassisted birth could really raise more red flags.

I have heard of mothers in very conservative NC who tested positive & flat out stated they had no intention of altering their consumption patterns going home with their babies. I would truly not sweat it. Sometimes they test the babies, sometimes they don't. It isn't up to you so make sure your home is pristine & have a great birth!
dinahx is offline  
Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM
 
ShyingViolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post

Some of y'all have next to no real info & plenty of judgement. Actually PubMed.gov has extensive studies on this topic. As it is the most widely used substance in pregnancy besides tobacco, why wouldn't they? It is really silly to say there haven't been any studies on a topic before yk, checking the spot where all the studies are kept?d it 
 
Also, let us remember it is not a blanket 'illegal' in every state *even in the US*, about 1/3-1/2 of the US has now legalizefor medicinal use.

OP: do you know what is actually, statistically WAY more dangerous than Cannabis in pregnancy? Birthing without assistance (I know we have support only UC forums but this isn't one).

So don't put your baby in a risky situation JUST to avoid CPS. CPS is not that scary & they don't routinely remove babies for Cannabis alone, not even for a week. However Cannabis plus unassisted birth could really raise more red flags.

I have heard of mothers in very conservative NC who tested positive & flat out stated they had no intention of altering their consumption patterns going home with their babies. I would truly not sweat it. Sometimes they test the babies, sometimes they don't. It isn't up to you so make sure your home is pristine & have a great birth!

This thread is from 2007! This baby is school-aged now :lol


2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

       familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

ShyingViolet is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 02:24 AM
 
LilyTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyingViolet View Post
 

This thread is from 2007! This baby is school-aged now :lol

Thought there were recent posts on the same issue, so this is clearly still a relevant topic and one that many expectant mamas could be struggling with.


Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
LilyTiger is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 03:41 AM
 
kitteh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! I'm sure mama is long gone by now, but I'd love an update. I wonder how things went!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

 

Expecting #2 in late June!

kitteh is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 AM
 
ShyingViolet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post
 

Thought there were recent posts on the same issue, so this is clearly still a relevant topic and one that many expectant mamas could be struggling with.

Very true, I just thought advising this particular mama not to UC was probably irrelevant since her babe is long born. It's a good topic to bump, though!


2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

       familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

ShyingViolet is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
 
dinahx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: earth
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I definitely didn't look @ the date. However I don't think mamas should choose UC based *only* on fear of CPS/Cannabis . . .
dinahx is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 05:18 PM
 
Viola P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I'm an attorney and although i don't practice in your state i do practice child protection law.

 

I can say that where i am yes, if a baby were to test positive for marijuana that could, in of itself, be a basis for removal. However, usually removal is an extreme measure that's only taken if certain other markers are there. The less extreme measure is an order that allows CPS to supervise you, which means unannounced home visits and a promise to say clean, potentially with regular drug screening. I hate to say it but where i am a white lady with a decent job whose baby tests positive for marijuana is far less likely to have her baby removed than a poor black woman with the exact same results on the same test. It's really sad but the system is both racist and classist.

 

I do not think think they screen for drugs unless there's some other reason to. If you were to admit that you used any drug in the past, then, depending on the care provider, this could be used against you and you may be pressured into testing or have some blood snuck from babe. My advice would therefore be to not reveal your marijuana use to anyone who you're involved with for the birth, even if they say stupid shit like "are you sure" or try to scare you into revealing. As far as you're concerned you're society's ideal of the 100% pure mother.

 

I don't think it makes sense to have a plan to say yes to tests so as to appear cooperative, because then if you say no to this one test it could raise flags. If anything it might seem more consistent if you said no to most tests as then this would just be one of a long list.

 

To help set the stage, and to protect yourself, I would have a written document with you (like a birth plan) that states very clearly ahead of time that you do not want any additional tests done on baby other than (whatever you choose). Ask that the document form a part of your medical record and make sure your husband speaks up about it too. Having your husband speak up for you during the birth, and protect your wishes, can go a long way.

 

If anything does happen, and CPS gets involved, do not say anything to anyone until you speak with a lawyer. I cannot emphasize enough how important that is.

 

To conclude, i would say that although it's possible that your concerns could come to fruition, i seriously doubt that they would. I know you're  first time mom so it's super scary but seriously, this is not a realistic possibility unless you blab about it openly in the hospital. Keep your mouth shut about it, and be assertive about tests in general, and you'll be fine.

 

As an aside I personally don't think pot use during pregnancy is a big deal, there are woman who take pharmaceuticals that have documented chances of adverse outcomes. The weirdness about pot is mostly emotive and is not science based. Godspeed to you and don't mind the witch hunting idiots that far outnumber us.

Viola P is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 05:19 PM
 
Viola P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Ha ha! Can't believe i wrote all that just to see it's from 2007 duh.gif

Viola P is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM
 
Annie Pyron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Love it Viola! I did the same. Important topics at this time though. 

<3 Witches all the way. 

Annie Pyron is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM
 
cynthiamoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,573
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It's a topic that's come up more recently too, though, so your responses are not wasted smile.gif
I search the archives all the time for info.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

cynthiamoon is online now  
Old 10-27-2013, 09:45 PM
 
Viola P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/24/21117142-shackled-and-pregnant-wis-case-challenges-fetal-protection-law?lite

 

The moral of the story - anything you say during pregnancy can and will be used against you

Viola P is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 01:46 PM
 
kelley040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What state do you practice in, Viola? 

The article you posted is from Wisconsin, which is the state I am from. 

I have been searching for answers to my questions because at 11 weeks pregnant, I tested positive for THC.  I found out I was pregnant at 8 weeks (and actually only thought I was 4 weeks because I had been out of town for a long time, not with my boyfriend).  I was not told about the drug test the doctor gave me and found out only after I had switched doctors that they had tested me.  I had only found out I was pregnant 3 weeks before the test was given to me, 3 weeks is not enough time for THC to clear a person's system. 

Later, I was told by my doctor that I would be tested sometime later in my pregnancy to ensure I haven't been using (I haven't).  She told me I would also be tested during my delivery (okay, I've been clean for a while, I understand why they take the precaution).  But- she also told me that even if I PASS, they may give my baby a drug test.  Now, I'm not concerned about the baby passing, but I am angered that a hospital would perform a drug test on a child even though the mother has passed.  My doctor also told me that CPS may come speak to me even if I PASS.  I don't understand why they would do this.  Isn't an expectant mother/new mother under enough stress without her being harassed about something she did BEFORE she knew she was pregnant?  I think perhaps my doctor was covering her bases, using scare tactics, and saying what she has been trained to say.  I don't think it's right for doctors to do this, I am terrified of my delivery now.  It's my first pregnancy and I am too scared to deliver at home.  I do not want to switch doctors again, though I am very close to the state line and could deliver in Illinois if I wanted to (but they have similar laws so I do not know if it would do any good). 

I am hoping my doctor was trying to scare me and that CPS will not be involved whatsoever because I will have clean tests.  Does CPS take babies for only one failed UA early in pregnancy?  Wouldn't I already be being bothered by CPS if my doctor had chosen to call them for this reason? 

Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Terrified in Wisconsin

kelley040 is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 02:21 PM
 
dinahx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: earth
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CPS will *absolutely* not take your baby if you pass your tests. Many women are + early in pregnancy. You would have a more than decent chance of keeping your baby even if you didn't pass, but passing all subsequent tests after the initial one on your intake apt would look *stellar* for you.

The worst thing that IMO could possibly happen (and this is far fetched with passed tests) is an interview & a home visit. You can ace those tho mama! Clean your house like you mean it & answer questions sweetly without delving into TMI & you will be good.
dinahx is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM
 
Viola P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I wouldn't say that they absolutely won't take your baby. The truth is that they have way too much power and a ton of discretion. I don't practice in Wisconsin but Id imagine that the chances of baby being removed due to the results of the first test is very small. However,
Now that you're in their line of vision your behaviour and actions will be scrutinized more carefully and so you are at greater risk of removal.

Personally if it were me I would offer to do a 6 month hair follicle test at the end of your pregnancy (ariund 38 weeks) and if they say no becus they don't want to pay (or whatever) I would find out what lab they use and pay for my own hair follicle test. Then once the test comes back showing you're clean it should remove all authority for them to test the baby at birth, and hopefully all authority to interfere further.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's absolutely vile that women are tracked and screened like that. Anyone who thinks we live in an equal society has obviously never had a baby or has their head up their ass.

You smoked a little weed before you knew,'you didn't do anything wrong. It's not you, it's them.
Viola P is offline  
Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
 
marshy4103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Melanie dreher

marshy4103 is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 PM
 
mamabear7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 545
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola P View Post
 

I'm an attorney and although i don't practice in your state i do practice child protection law.

 

I can say that where i am yes, if a baby were to test positive for marijuana that could, in of itself, be a basis for removal. However, usually removal is an extreme measure that's only taken if certain other markers are there. The less extreme measure is an order that allows CPS to supervise you, which means unannounced home visits and a promise to say clean, potentially with regular drug screening. I hate to say it but where i am a white lady with a decent job whose baby tests positive for marijuana is far less likely to have her baby removed than a poor black woman with the exact same results on the same test. It's really sad but the system is both racist and classist.

 

I do not think think they screen for drugs unless there's some other reason to. If you were to admit that you used any drug in the past, then, depending on the care provider, this could be used against you and you may be pressured into testing or have some blood snuck from babe. My advice would therefore be to not reveal your marijuana use to anyone who you're involved with for the birth, even if they say stupid shit like "are you sure" or try to scare you into revealing. As far as you're concerned you're society's ideal of the 100% pure mother.

 

I don't think it makes sense to have a plan to say yes to tests so as to appear cooperative, because then if you say no to this one test it could raise flags. If anything it might seem more consistent if you said no to most tests as then this would just be one of a long list.

 

To help set the stage, and to protect yourself, I would have a written document with you (like a birth plan) that states very clearly ahead of time that you do not want any additional tests done on baby other than (whatever you choose). Ask that the document form a part of your medical record and make sure your husband speaks up about it too. Having your husband speak up for you during the birth, and protect your wishes, can go a long way.

 

If anything does happen, and CPS gets involved, do not say anything to anyone until you speak with a lawyer. I cannot emphasize enough how important that is.

 

To conclude, i would say that although it's possible that your concerns could come to fruition, i seriously doubt that they would. I know you're  first time mom so it's super scary but seriously, this is not a realistic possibility unless you blab about it openly in the hospital. Keep your mouth shut about it, and be assertive about tests in general, and you'll be fine.

 

As an aside I personally don't think pot use during pregnancy is a big deal, there are woman who take pharmaceuticals that have documented chances of adverse outcomes. The weirdness about pot is mostly emotive and is not science based. Godspeed to you and don't mind the witch hunting idiots that far outnumber us.


Thank you Viola for putting your opinion about pot use during pregnancy not being a big deal (health wise atleast) and for the informative post.  It is sad that mothers have to be scared about this.  It is outrageous to think that someone's baby could get taken away because of gentle health conscious self medication.  The worst thing about it would be the smoke inhalation, so just eat it. :treehugger 


Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014


Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin


mamabear7 is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont disagree with what you are doing . . but DONT do it if you plan on giving birth in South Carolina you WILL be charged with child neglect by the state. My youngest daughter is currently dealing with this. If you choose not to quit then go to a friendly state to give birth or it will cause you tremendous problems you do not want.
apophis is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off