Plus-Sized and Pregnant Tribe!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 257 Old 10-16-2007, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woohoo, it's updated! Glad you all can keep me on top of this!

signature currently in transition
#122 of 257 Old 10-17-2007, 03:20 PM

OOOhhh teeny~~ the front page looks beautiful!! Thanks!!

I'm due next week with #3, but haven't posted on this thread in a couple of weeks. But feel free to add me when you're able~ if you'd like :.
I'd love to have a birthstory to add soon too .

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#123 of 257 Old 10-18-2007, 12:57 AM

That looks awesome, sorry I didn't get you more info before now!

Connie-33 and baby #3 is due 11/1 to be born at home in water.
#124 of 257 Old 10-18-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

I will probably get to them on my lunch hour, if that's ok with you all... It's going to be a busy day.

#125 of 257 Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 AM

That looks great! Sorry I didn't get my info to you. I am Leigh, pregnant with #2 due 3/27/08 at 18 weeks now. I was 199 at the start of this pg, I was 240 at the start of my last pg. dd is 5.5 yo in montessori kindergarten. We just moved x-country from Washington to Florida, have been here about 2 weeks and still feeling like a nomad-we are finally moving into a house today (we've been out of our house up north since Sept 15!). I just met with a new mw inthis area and love her! She told me I should expect to gain 20-25 lbs (yeah right!)-I loved hearing that! I have gained 1 pound so far. I am excited that I am getting a baby belly this time (even if no one else can tell yet) and I have decided that I am going to splurge on some stupid baby t-shirts to wear it loud and proud-I'll look silly but this is probably my last, so what the heck? I never splurge on myself, so I am looking forward to it! Leigh
#126 of 257 Old 10-20-2007, 07:11 PM

I am wearing a 2x in Duo maternity wear (JC Penney) which is where I buy most of my maternity clothes but they do not carry maternity coats. I have found some on-line at Old Navy but I am nervous about buying there since I am not sure of the accuracy of their sizing. I live in a very cold climate where we have already had snow this fall and I am not due until Feb./March so I need something to get me through.

Anyone had any luck finding plus sized maternity winter coats?

Thanks.
#127 of 257 Old 10-20-2007, 09:01 PM

Last time I bought a one-size closed front poncho style coat to wear over my baby carrier (I gave birth in November). If it fits over a baby in a carrier, it should certainly work over a baby belly!
#128 of 257 Old 10-21-2007, 01:07 AM
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen's mom View Post
I am wearing a 2x in Duo maternity wear (JC Penney) which is where I buy most of my maternity clothes but they do not carry maternity coats. I have found some on-line at Old Navy but I am nervous about buying there since I am not sure of the accuracy of their sizing. I live in a very cold climate where we have already had snow this fall and I am not due until Feb./March so I need something to get me through.

Anyone had any luck finding plus sized maternity winter coats?

Thanks.
According to the ON website a XXL is a size 20 prepregnancy

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#129 of 257 Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 AM
DBZ

Any of you ever get that henna art done? I think it is soooo beautiful.

#130 of 257 Old 10-21-2007, 04:24 AM

Hi. I'm Jennisee. I'm 5'7" and a size 22/24. This is my second child, and I'm due April 5.

When I was pregnant with my DD, I had undiagnosed PCOS. With the exception of a severe progesterone deficiency and slightly high blood pressure at the end, the pregnancy and birth went smoothly. My PCOS was finally diagnosed last year, and metformin was like a miracle drug for me. 35 lb just melted off my body, my blood pressure dropped, and my energy went through the roof.

Well, my midwife had me go off the metformin at the end of my first trimester, and it has me a little worried. My energy has taken a complete nose dive, my blood pressure has gone up a bit, and I have dizzy spells. I'm a little worried that my body will react to the metformin weaning by developing blood sugar problems, but we'll see, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona
You know, I was thinking about something, and I wonder if anyone else experiences this. I'd like to venture that those of us plus-sized women who are ok with our bodies tend to handle (or not even have) those negative tendencies you see in many smaller women, who just can't stand how huge they are!
In my experience, yes. I'm comfortable in my Size 24 clothes, and I don't mind walking around the pool in a swimsuit, so I have a hard time relating to the threads where women talk about how hideous they are for becoming a Size 10 while pregnant. My head just about pops off when single-digit-sized women make comments like, "If I keep gaining weight, I could end up *giggle* 250 lbs and a *giggle* size 18," as if these numbers are so big they're unimaginable. I don't think they realize how mean and condescending their comments are.
#131 of 257 Old 10-21-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen's mom View Post
Good luck!!

In NY I had all my kids in summer time BUT I have always just worn a ski jacket that I couldn't zipper and dealt with it.

In pregnancy, I was mostly going from house to car and car to wherever, and being pregnant I am usually pretty toasty.

If I was outside with the boys, I would put on a scarf and an extra layer under my jacket, but it would still be hanging open.

I don't know how cold it is where you are though. Or whether you have to be outside for quite a while.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#132 of 257 Old 10-21-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen's mom
I live in Wyoming at 7200 feet altitude. This weekend we had 3-4" of snow and it was well below freezing all weekend. I work on a college campus which requires a fair amount of walking from meeting to meeting and we enjoy snow shoeing as a family so a winter coat is non-debatable.
#133 of 257 Old 10-22-2007, 01:52 AM

Yah, there's definitely a need there. It's tough finding maternity coats in plus size, even online.

-- There are a couple of heavy coats here:
http://www.pluswoman.com/plus-size-f...0,x/Outerwear/

-- Old Navy's XXL is sz 20, but I wear some of their XXL sometimes and I am bigger than a 20
http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/category.do?cid=38020

-- There's a poncho coat called Aiska Poncho that you can wear pregnant or with a baby in a sling. It's around $160 and I don't know what sizes you can find. Google Aiska Poncho.

-- Check your local Craig's List and keep checking eBay

-- Get a coat from Lane Bryant in a larger size. Likewise, find a 3X coat somewhere that would last.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
#134 of 257 Old 10-22-2007, 05:29 PM

Hello all you beautiful curvy mommas,

My name is Scarlett and I am due February 11, 2008. We do not know what we are having (but I think it is a boy). I am so happy that this tribe exists. I was 231 pounds when I got pregnant and lost a few pounds in my first tri and now I am 24 weeks and weigh 241 so up 10 lbs. I am hoping to not go crazy and gain too much but even though I am trying to eat healthy I am having less then healthy cravings

I do however try to stay active by going to prenatal aquafit class, prenatal yoga, Hawaiian dance and walking. I am having a really great pregnancy this time around with good BP readings, and blood sugar levels. I had GD with my first baby and dealt with other stuff including polyhydramnios and pre-eclempsia at the end of my pregnancy (due to my baby girl having SMA) I am feeling pretty good about this pregnancy even though my first ended badly with my baby only living for 35 minutes after birth and a m/c last year. I am trying to stay positive and trust in the universe that all will be well this time.

Looking forward to talking to everyone.

Take care.
Scarlett

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#135 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Jennisee and butterfly_mommy!! Good to see new folks here!!
Oh and I think I've got all the new updates in. Let me know if I missed you. I was out of town the last few days and otherwise VERY pre-occupied before that. I hope if I did miss you, that you'll be patient with me!

Jennisee, I hope you're able to find a solution now that you're off the metformin. I don't know anything about it, but it sure seems that it was really working for you.

It's funny isn't it, years ago, I hated being the bigger one and hated myself, and what not. But since accepted my size and am quite fine with myself, and when you hear thinner women go on and on about how big they're getting with pregancy, it's just funny to me. Actually sometimes I want to tell them that being bigger (or fat or plus sized or whatvever) is in some ways kind of freeing, so don't stress it!

Scarlett, you're really kicking some butt with all the activity you're getting in, awesome! I'm here and there with it, but have since started a mandatory (for our family) activity hour - when I get home at 6, until 7 we are either walking or boogeying around the house or something, because man, when I don't work out, do I feel it! I'm really inspired to see you out there with all those activities! Keep up the rockin' good work!

TMI ALERT

Ok, well since we're all bigger women here, I think you may know what I'm talking about here... I've got a hefty sized spare tire/fat ring/whathaveyou around my hip areas. Lately, since the babe's getting bigger, this lovely circle o'flab seems to be pressing down against my legs, causing a sort of irritation between this chunk and my thighs. So I've kept it powdered and whatnot, but I'm not sure if this is working out the best. I thought, who better to ask than you all? Anyone have something similar and got a great solution to it??

And in other news, I've decided firmly on the brewer's diet because ugh, I was out of town, which meant I was eating CRAP and not getting the exercise I needed, and man did I notice the difference when I did all that! yuckorama. Anyone else on this one? like it? hate it?

Peace, sisters!

#136 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 02:40 PM

I don't have a chunk that hangs that low, but the chunk I do have has gotten really flabby and droopy, so I can see this causing you a problem. Do you wear underwear that covers this area of your stomach? I would wear some over the belly kind of underwear if not. Also, if you're wearing a skirt or dress often, flesh will rub. Try pants??

#137 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM

Teeny - I have a chunk of belly that hangs down a bit over my pubic line...especially now that baby is getting bigger. It sometimes gets red and irritated as well. I just try to keep it really clean and have used Calendula creme when it gets sore and then some powder on top. Also when lying around at night before bed I try to air it out by lifting the belly up and holding it for 10 mins or so.

I am going to start eating the Brewers diet more consciously. I try to be healthy but my cravings this pregnancy have been less then healhty stuff It seems easy enough to stick to.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#138 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 03:11 PM

Yay, can I join?

I just found out that I am pg with my second. I have a 14mo daughter, Mary, and this one will be due in early July. I had a totally uneventful pregnancy the first time and I hope for that again, although I was sick the whole time and I would be happy to reduce or eliminate that!

I wear a size 18 right now (down a size or two over the last 6 months) and I would like to have a healthy pregnancy and get plenty of exercise, but I'm not going to stress about weight gain. Last time I gained 17 pounds; if I am less sick I may gain more than that, I suppose, but I'm really not a scale person. (That's one of the things I hate about pregnancy visits--so many weigh-ins and so many opinions about the significance of the weigh-ins. I lead a healthy lifestyle (usually) and eat moderate-carb to control my PCOS, and I am confident that I will have a healthy baby as a result...so my new mission is to find a doctor or mw who is supportive!
#139 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM

Have any of you lost a bunch of weight...

Im 19 weeks now and Ive lost 17lbs!!! My midwife thinks this pregnancy kicked my metabolism into high gear and isn't concerned in the least. The baby is growing normally and looked great in the US. My MW says the new guidelines say plus sized women shouldnt gain any weight during pregnancy. Has anyone heard this...

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#140 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
Have any of you lost a bunch of weight...

Im 19 weeks now and Ive lost 17lbs!!! My midwife thinks this pregnancy kicked my metabolism into high gear and isn't concerned in the least. The baby is growing normally and looked great in the US. My MW says the new guidelines say plus sized women shouldnt gain any weight during pregnancy. Has anyone heard this...
I lost some weight in my first tri with this baby but only like 6 lbs. With my first I lost over ten pounds in my first tri and then slowly gained through out the pregnancy but after i had her I weighed less then pre-pregnancy by about 5 lbs. I have never heard that plus sized women should not gain any weight, I have read that if you are overweight then no more then 25 lbs and if you are obese then 15-20 lbs is recommended. At 21 weeks I was up 12 pounds from pre-pregnancy weight and my midwife was happy with that!

#141 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 04:05 PM

I looked more into it. Apparantly they believe the old 15-25 guideline is outdated. The new guideline is brand new (its as of 2007).

This is what Ive found so far:
http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_pr...?storyid=17262
http://www.healthscout.com/news/1/8017262/main.html
http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/C_...regnancy.shtml

(all the articles basically say the same exact thing)

#142 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 04:05 PM

double post

#143 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 04:36 PM

Okay, so we don't HAVE to gain weight. I'd figured that out on my own a while ago, so it's funny to see it's "true" according to "experts."

But even if not gaining from food or lack of exercise, I would think this new info would put even more pressure on mamas who are gaining just from blood volume, amniotic fluid, baby weight, etc.

#144 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think that information can be any good. So, plus sized moms are supposed to gain nothing? This means as baby grows, they must lose weight. That doesn't really seem right to me at all. Doesn't nearly EVERYT bit of data say not to try to lose weight while pregnant?

I don't think those are guidelines within reason or are healthy. I think they're just freaked out due to fatness... Why don't they stick to the whole "eat healthy and stay active" bits? I know a whole lot of moms who are on the thinner side who are not active... Does that mean they're healthier than a fat active woman? I say not.

These medical reports get more and more blind and more and more FAT IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL anymore...

#145 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Why don't they stick to the whole "eat healthy and stay active" bits? I know a whole lot of moms who are on the thinner side who are not active... Does that mean they're healthier than a fat active woman? I say not.
What she said.
#146 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 PM

Hi Mamas!

It's been awhile since I've posted.

I'm now at 33+ weeks. I have gained 4 lbs total and other than some gallbladder issues, have had no major complications.

I have a question for you btdt mamas...when, if ever did your B belly become a D belly? I have just started to show, and I was really hoping to have a D belly by Halloween. I just don't see that happening at this point, and I am now questioning if it will ever happen!
:

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#147 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
I don't think that information can be any good. So, plus sized moms are supposed to gain nothing? This means as baby grows, they must lose weight. That doesn't really seem right to me at all. Doesn't nearly EVERYT bit of data say not to try to lose weight while pregnant?

I don't think those are guidelines within reason or are healthy. I think they're just freaked out due to fatness... Why don't they stick to the whole "eat healthy and stay active" bits? I know a whole lot of moms who are on the thinner side who are not active... Does that mean they're healthier than a fat active woman? I say not.

These medical reports get more and more blind and more and more FAT IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL anymore...
I totally agree with this!

My midwife is totally on board with the stay active eat healthy and not at all concerned with "weight" gain. It tells you very little about the health of you or your baby anyway. Urine tests, BP, GD test, etc are much more informative. Actually at the midwifery clinic I go to they don't even weigh you. I feel sad for curvy mommas who's Dr.s read this "new info" and put pressure on them to lose weight when pregnant

#148 of 257 Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 PM

I can't remember if I've introduced myself before...I am due May 6/08 and am starting out pregancy around a size 20 :-)

Just a comment on the not gaining weight thing...well, 2 comments. 1) When pregnant with DS, I had a month (around 12-16 weeks) where I gained 10 lbs and my doctor referred me to a nutritionist. They wanted me to be eating 1800 calories a day. I think I weighed at least 210 or 215 at the time...so if you go by the quick-and-dirty "multiply your weight by 10 to get your base calorie requirement to support current weight" thing, I would be undercutting my requirements by around 300 or more calories a day - certainly enough to lose weight. I had gained 21 lbs by around 17 weeks, they wanted me to top out my weight gain at 25 pounds - so only 5 pounds gained between 17 weeks and full term. My doctor told me that was hooey (good doctor!). 2) both the midwives I interviewed when choosing a care provider said that all the research indicates that monitoring weight gain in pregnancy has 0 effect on outcomes, so the basis for the new recommendation is so confusing - are they looking at different research or what?

This is more of a vent than anything else, I suppose! LOL!
#149 of 257 Old 10-25-2007, 01:44 AM
DBZ

About those rashes...sometimes they can be yeast. Usually not, but it's possible. Use corn starch on them and do your best to keep them clean and dry. A friend of mine who was very heavy used to blow dry those areas.

#150 of 257 Old 10-25-2007, 03:25 AM

If it is yeast, and that can happen to anybody with flesh on flesh, like large breasted women, vinegar should help.

Dilute white vinegar with water and put it on the affected area as often as you can each day and when you go to bed. Try to do this before using powders... or look up which powder you should use. I know some increase yeast growth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page