Book to help toddler prepare for new baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-15-2003, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know of a good book to get to read to my 2 1/2 year old in the next few weeks about the new arrival we will soon be having?
#2 of 13 Old 07-15-2003, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dr. Sears has a great series. One about being pregnant and having the baby one about bringing a new baby home.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 13 Old 07-15-2003, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

#4 of 13 Old 07-15-2003, 10:18 AM

If you're planning a homebirth (or even if you're not, but comfortable with the idea), Welcome with Love is wonderful. Shows mom birthing in a squat, supported by dad, wearing only socks, I believe . The kids are present at the birth and quite involved. The illustrations are wonderful. It talks about breastfeeding and shows cosleeping as well.

peace, Beth
#5 of 13 Old 07-15-2003, 12:20 PM

i second welcome with love. i always choke up when i read it because it is so beautifully done
#6 of 13 Old 07-15-2003, 12:34 PM

I 3rd Welcome with Love.

I started reading to DS #1(he was almost 3 when DS#2 came along) from the beginning of my pregnancy.. and by the 4th month he had it memorized.... its a beautiful book and I credit it alot to how my son reacted to his brothers birth... he took it all in stride..even when I was screaming down the house!!!
#7 of 13 Old 07-15-2003, 03:09 PM

"What's Inside" is available from www.lalecheleague.org. It is a lift the flap book that reveals the mamas developing baby in her belly. We started reading it when dd was 20 months old. She is now 25 months and I am due next month. I think it helped her grasp the idea of what was in my belly!
#8 of 13 Old 07-15-2003, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

these have been recommended to me:

"i'm a big brother" by joanna cole
ZaZa's baby brother, lucy cousin
my big brother, my valerie fisher
happy birthday, robbie harris
arthur's new baby book,
Joanna Cole's The New Baby at Your House
#9 of 13 Old 07-16-2003, 09:17 AM

Beth, thank you so much. I coud not remember the title of that book and want to get it for my kids. Off to order it now.
#10 of 13 Old 07-16-2003, 02:33 PM

We just borrowed "Hello Benny!: What it's Like to be a Baby" from the library. My four year old and I love it, but it might be above the comprehension level for a 2.5yr old. I love that breastfeeding is presented first (and pictured), and described in detail.

This book is more about babies and what life is like for them, whereas some of the other titles listed focus more on how a new baby affects family life--so this might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's a great book all the same!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#11 of 13 Old 07-17-2003, 01:13 PM

my suggestiongs for what they are worth......

A lot of cartoons have books about this; Author has a big brother book. Barney does. I think Sesme Street does....and so on. So if your 2.5 year has a freind; you might find a book with that theme.

I got my first newpher a bunch of books; including Im a Big Brother Now, and sent to him while his mom was pg with 2nd son. I think it helped him a lot.

Also get a book of "what baby looks like now" with pictures of the baby developing in you and show week by week what is in you.

Find a book you are confortable with about the actual delivery; even if the 2.5 year old won't be there. there WILL be questions and fears.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#12 of 13 Old 07-20-2003, 04:57 AM

We've been reading a book called "My mom and dad and I are having a baby" written by a midwife. It is a simple book, from the perspective of a child who observes and recounts his/her mother's pregnancy and home birth. I wish I could get the name of the author, but it's next to the bed.

My son is 2 1/2 and LOVES that book. It has sketch drawings and there is a series of pictures of when the mom is opening up more and more then the baby's head is out. He loves that part the most. He understands all about what will happen, where the baby will come out, what noises I may make, etc.

I'll look to see who wrote it and edit this later. It's old, don't know if it's easily available- we got it from my midwife.

OK- it's written by Maryann Malecki

Here's the amazon link: book

Amazon says it costs like $100.00- I don't understand why-- maybe you could find the author and ask her for a copy of it personally.
#13 of 13 Old 07-20-2003, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

that link did not work so here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

and yes it is $100.00

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page