Morning sickness question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2007, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is m/s always about vomiting? Do some people get diarrhea instead/as well?

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 AM

I have suffered from serious diarrhea in addition to occassional vomiting with my past two pregnancies. For me, I rarely if ever vomit (am seriously vomit-phobic in general!), so my body tends to handle nausea with diarrhea. I found that a very bland diet, such as the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce, dry toast - was my best means of slowing down the diarrhea as anti-diarrheal medications are typically unsafe in pregnancy.

HTH!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 PM

:

I've got a bit of both, with a good amount of constipation mixed in. :

It's not always about vomiting, although I am now getting my share of that (about every other day for the past 10 days). Before that it was just food aversions. I'd be incredibly hungry, but didn't want to eat anything. And the longer I went without eating, the worse it got. Food smells turned me off.

Now I seem to be getting better about tolerating smells and tastes, but that doesn't seem to stop the vomiting. (Well, this was true until my walk into work this morning -> NYC in summer = trash, bus fumes, strange restaurant odors, smoke, etc. yuk!)

Not sure if any of that helped, but I just wanted to share my experience so far.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 PM

I get very mild-morning sickness and have never vomited. But I have diarrhea like no tomorrow! It's pretty normal, actually.

In fact, before I became pg I was scheduled for a lower-GI (for completely unrelated reasons). . but had to cancel the appt because I became pg. The nurse who I talked to didn't know the reason I was having it, and suggested that maybe all my "symptoms" (ie the reason for the lower-GI) were actually because I was pg and not any problem. She said that it happens in their office pretty frequently. . .women complain to their docs of never-ending diarrhea so the doc orders some tests. . turns out the woman is pregnant, is all.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
Old 08-27-2007, 04:44 PM

I got general nausea, vomitting, and occasional diarrhea. The first trimester is a fun ride!!

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 PM

I haven't had any symptoms yet, but this morning I felt nauseous and had diarrhea. Of course, I ate a not-so-healthy supper last night, so it could be that, too.

I'm having awful backaches that feel suspiciously like PMS - any chance that could be an early pregnancy symptom?

(I've tested positive already, but my period would be due tomorrow, so I'm still worried...)

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 08-28-2007, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

thanks...
i ask because i'm really not a fan of vomiting after a life threatening case of salmonella poisoning a few years. i'm not pregnant yet but very pleased to hear that diarrhea is a possibility

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:53 PM

Inteesting you asked because I have had quite a bit of diarreah and was wondering if its a pregnancy thing or just a fluke. I guess it stands to reason that it can mess with you coming and going.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 08-28-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirls View Post
I'm having awful backaches that feel suspiciously like PMS - any chance that could be an early pregnancy symptom?
My back pain was incredibly bad the first 2 weeks after my BFP. This week it is slightly better but far from gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
I get very mild-morning sickness and have never vomited. But I have diarrhea like no tomorrow! It's pretty normal, actually.

In fact, before I became pg I was scheduled for a lower-GI (for completely unrelated reasons). . but had to cancel the appt because I became pg. The nurse who I talked to didn't know the reason I was having it, and suggested that maybe all my "symptoms" (ie the reason for the lower-GI) were actually because I was pg and not any problem. She said that it happens in their office pretty frequently. . .women complain to their docs of never-ending diarrhea so the doc orders some tests. . turns out the woman is pregnant, is all.
Interesting - I too have had diarrhea and normally I am constipated. I have slight nausea but have kept myself from puking so far. This is quite the ride and it is only the beginning

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too

User Tag List