natural labor induction. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anything really work? I am hoping somone has experience with evening primrose oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 PM

EPO is not an induction method, but it can encourage labor by fostering the production of prostaglandins and helping you dilate or soften the cervix. It can make you more likely to go into labor when you're ready anyway, but won't put you into labor if you're not ready.

I used EPO at the end of my first pregnancy, starting with one capsule every other day starting at 36 weeks and increasing to one per day by 37 weeks and 2 per day by 38 weeks. I can't remember the exact dosage (i.e., how many mg/pill). They're more effective if taken orally than vaginally.

I went into labor at 38w2d and dd was born at 38w3d. Not sure if the two are related at all, but I suspect that it did help soften my cervix a bit. I didn't have any prodromal labor or BH contractions.

Sorry not to be more help, but that was my experience with it.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM

nipple stimulation

I've heard castor oil... I've had a friend that used it with 2 pregnancies and was in labor within 12 hours both times... however, many people can't tolerate it and it can cause SEVEAR diarrhea.

Ask around to find out how small of a dose works, so you don't go over.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:06 PM

Sex supposedly helps move things along. I say keep physically moving in any way possible: jogging (if you've been), walking, swimming, dancing. It helps release positive endorphins. Just don't exhaust yourself, because you'll need all your energy for your birthing time! I did use EPO and RRL tea to help prep my cervix and uterus for labor...not for induction. Besides exercising, I did alot of talking to my little one, telling her about how lovely things on the outside were...how I would hold her and nurse her...positive thoughts and belly rubbing. She came 4 days before my "due" date.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:29 PM

Castor oil, nipple stim, stripping membranes, sex -- all did NOTHING for me.

I've seen castor oil work for a few clients, but they were all either in early labor or past their edd and dialated pretty far already.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 08-28-2007, 03:49 AM

I was doing everything as well.

DTD daily, nip stim, EPO, spicy food, walking, talking to baby, cohoshes, psyllium, I even hiked a mountain at 42w pg. Nothing.

I was pg for 43.5 w by one estimate. I did rub castor oil on my belly and then put a heating pad on it the day I went into labor. Causation? Who knows, could just be coincidence.

I had been taking EPO for weeks. I don't think it would hurt...
Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 AM

I've done everything listed in this thread and....I'm still pregnant! I am 42 weeks...the castor oil was probably the least pleasant of the things I have done. My midwife now has me doing more intense nip stim in hopes of avoiding a cervidil/pitocin induction.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:17 PM

"natural induction" is an oxymoron.

Are you having serious health issues that will be solved with delivery?

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 08-28-2007, 03:51 PM

I did everything I could find on the internet (except castor oil) - EPO from 35 weeks on, pineapple, spicy foods, sex, walking, etc. Finally went into labor at 42 weeks. I don't really think anything worked. The day before I went into labor, I took a long walk, had sex, and ate half a pineapple, so I could say that did the trick...except that I'd pretty much done that stuff every day for 3 weeks and it never worked before! Baby will come when she's ready, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it I guess!).

User Tag List