Cleaning out colon, what can I do while pregnant?- possible TMI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read all the Constipation threads and probably posted several myself...lol. I have bad and chronic issues here while pregnant. I try all the typical stuff recommended. I am determined, for the next couple weeks, to try and get as much moving through as I can.

Does anyone have advice for a diet/regimine/etc to help? Besides lots of fiber, water, etc, what can I do to kind of clean things out, but obviously that is safe for baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 11:54 PM

I read that prune or peach nectar is good for keeping things moving.
I planned to make a peach nectar/banana shake with a lot of ground flax (that is supposed to be good fiber) and ground nuts, for part of breakfast, but after a couple really really baaaad constipations, the 2nd which ended in enema
I have been very regular and they glide right out
But after typing the ingredients for the shake.... I think I will make one tomorrow anyways

I am sure you will get a bunch of great remedies
Old 08-28-2007, 04:05 AM

prune juice or aloe juice might help, start off slow, you could certainly eat prunes too if you like them-more fiber that way. Sorry if you tried that stuff already, I know it's a little obvious.

Are you taking iron supplements right now? Even if it's just your prenatals, you may be really sensitive to it.

Maybe a little caffeine might help also, a cup or two of coffee, or a latte or whatever you like.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 AM

Food recommendations are good, but don't help when the problem is already there, KWIM? For that glycerin suppositories are a life saver! They loosen, soften, and lubricate.

I also like to take some Udo's oil supplements to keep things softer and moving. They are great supplements anyway, the regularity factor is just a plus.

I'm at the end of my second pregnancy and swore I would not go through the constipation/hemorrhoid roller coaster that I did with the first pregnancy. So I have been very proactive. I take supplements, eat good food and drink lots of water. And if nothing is happening after 24 hours and I can feel things backing up I use a suppository. I'm happy to say I have not had any serious issues thanks to this plan.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 AM

What worked well for me when I was constipated after my DD's birth was eating lots and lots of fresh grapes! I think I had two big bowls full and that got things moving along.

In general, lots of fresh veggies and walking help keep things moving smoothly.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 PM

I'd have to second the coffee suggestion, that stuff works like a charm for me. Other than that, 3T of freshly ground flax seed works too.

Tiffany partner to Charlie and Mama to DS Ciaran (1/08) and DS Finnian (4/11)
Adding a third in July!

User Tag List