Group B Strep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-30-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found out today that I am a carrier. Does anyone have information on this? How I could have gotten it, how it effects me & the baby? Any info is welcome! Thank you.

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-30-2007, 05:45 PM

Group B strep is a normal bacteria that is living in one in five women's vaginas. Usually there are no symptoms. The baby can become infected when giving birth which can be serious but is rare. There is a higher risk of the baby being infected if it is premature, the membranes have been ruptured for more than 18 hours before birth, multiple vagina exams during labour, interventions like forceps, mother with fever during labor or babies who need recuscitation at birth. It seems common in hospitals to give mothers who have strep b antibiotics during labour. I had group b strep last time I was pregnant and was given antibiotics in labour - my water had been broken for 24 hours by the time I gave birth. There are herbs you can start taking near the end of your pregnancy to support your immune system and possibly eliminate the strep b by the time you deliver. I find that The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm has alot of helpful information in it.

Kelly
#3 of 7 Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca'smum View Post
Group B strep is a normal bacteria that is living in one in five women's vaginas. Usually there are no symptoms. The baby can become infected when giving birth which can be serious but is rare. There is a higher risk of the baby being infected if it is premature, the membranes have been ruptured for more than 18 hours before birth, multiple vagina exams during labour, interventions like forceps, mother with fever during labor or babies who need recuscitation at birth. It seems common in hospitals to give mothers who have strep b antibiotics during labour. I had group b strep last time I was pregnant and was given antibiotics in labour - my water had been broken for 24 hours by the time I gave birth. There are herbs you can start taking near the end of your pregnancy to support your immune system and possibly eliminate the strep b by the time you deliver. I find that The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm has alot of helpful information in it.

Kelly
So it's not something to stress about? Thank you so much for the info! I was worried for a sec.

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#4 of 7 Old 08-30-2007, 07:18 PM

i am/was + for GBS and did some research. It CAN be very serious if baby gets infected, that is why standard protocal is to give antibiotics. I discussed it with my mw and we decided to do the antibiotics. Once I began active labor, I got a dose of penicillin in my iv, (along with pitocin-another story.) I was going to get a dose every 4 hours until delivery. I was worried about thrush, but we have no problems!

Don't worry about it, you and little A will be fine!
#5 of 7 Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 AM

I was labeled GBS+ last time, and I'm doing whatever I can to avoid that label this time. ACOG guidelines are to give IV penicillin every 4 hours to GBS carriers while in labor, with a minimum of 2 doses. Since my water broke and I didn't go into active labor on my own (ever... was induced after 18 hours), we ended up with 10-12 IV doses of penicillin. UGH.

There's an article on Mothering.com archived from the magazine that runs down the risks of GBS for baby, vs. the risks of antibiotics. Since my son has multiple food allergies now, I'd really like to avoid antibiotics this time around.
#6 of 7 Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 AM

Another formerly GBS+ mama here. I birthed my DD at home without complications.

There are risks, but there are treatment options to reduce risks as well!

LMK if you need some links, etc.
#7 of 7 Old 08-31-2007, 10:45 AM

the crazy thing about being GBS+ is the you are almost always colonized. what that means is that it may come and go, but it's hard to get rid of it altogether.

MOST of the time the baby is fine, even if the antibx are not given/ received. but if the baby does contract the GBS they can be severely ill.

it does surprise me that they check women at 36 weeks and then not again if they are negative. and that they could give a positive mom oral penicillin earlier and that would eliminate the issue at birth ( in most cases).

there are ways to send it into "remission" of sorts ( herbs and what not) but unless you are still doing them at the time of delivery it can always come back without you knwing it.

one case i remember very clearly was a mom that was 37 weeks. she was NEG at 36 weeks, had her baby at 37 weeks and the baby ended up very very sick in the NICU within 10 hrs of being born. we were all very surprised when she turned up positive for GBS ( the baby). the mom was floored too. so, it's just one of those things that doesn't have much rhyme or reason to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page