*really* painful Bartholin's (labia minora) cyst, what do I do!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm posting here even though I'm not yet positive I'm pregnant because that's my main reason for concern. I hope that's ok.

I have what I believe is a Bartholin's cyst on my right labia minora. It's been coming and going for a while, very small and only tender if direct pressure is applied. But....last few days it has swollen up and is pea sized, an angry red color with a blotch of purple and HORRIBLY painful! No matter how I move it hurts, feels pinched and feels just *wrong*!

I called the doctor's office...my doctor is booked tomorrow and only in one day next week but the nurse said she'd try to squeeze me in. She said they'd have to look at it and see if it's infected. They may need to put me on antibiotics (no way!) and have it lanced (I don't know about the safety of that, come to think of it they'd probably use some pain meds for it so that wouldn't be too good either). And in the mean time take tylenol (again, no way!!)

So any ideas what I can do to take care of it? I've been using hot compresses which doesn't seem to help at all. I think I read that antibiotics might not even help because of where it's located, it's sort of self-contained so they couldn't reach it. Should I take natural antibiotics, and if so what are good ones? Is there anything else I can do? Anything I should know about it one way or the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 01:18 AM

When I had a bartholin cyst a few years ago, the FIRST thing the doctor recommended was sitz baths with the hottest water I could stand, and some epsom salts if I had them (which I didn't, but anyway). They suggested doing that a couple times a day to try to open it up naturally. It worked twice, but the third time it came back, I couldn't kick it for anything, and had to have surgery (they call it marsupialization... hehe turned me into a kangaroo!) I don't recall them giving me antibiotics at any time pre- or post-op, but the surgery was under a general. I had the surgery in February 2000, and I haven't had any problems with it since. (There were all kinds of dire pronouncements about how surgery doesn't necessarily make the problem go away, yadda yadda... but it worked for me.)
Old 08-31-2007, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Wow I had no idea the surgery would be under general! Fortunately the cyst opened and is now draining and not *quite* as painful though still pretty bad. It was kinda funny cause it was right after I'd posted here and another forum, and called the nurse/doctor and then sewed myself a little flax seed hot-pack in a size that would work. I went to wipe and get some TP to cover the hotpack in cause it was so cute, and there was blood and a little fluid on the TP! I'm still not sure how to tell if it was infected or not, since you'd expect to see fluid from a plugged fluid-producing gland right?

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use lavender, coconut or olive oil on it as a natural antibiotic. For now I'm just keeping the hot pack on it and may take an epsom salt bath later tonight.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:29 AM

Glad it's draining. You should feel a lot better in a day or two. It may come back, though. :-( Here's hoping it doesn't!

ETA: It's possible the surgery could be done under a local, but mine was under a general. It was much quicker than my knee surgery the previous month, though!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I've had it off and on for quite a long time, it was just teeny tiny and only painful if bumped or touched in the wrong way. I'm hoping if it does come back it doesn't get as bad as this again! But at least next time I'll have a better idea how to deal with it earlier.

User Tag List