Pregnant with #1 in our 30s September - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope everyone is doing well.

I am finally feeling movement. It feels like I have a goldfish in there!
Yay!

I want this day at work to fly by, because we are leaving tomorrow for our mini-vacation. Sorry ahead of time for not updating the first post. I will be back Sunday afternoon.

Have a great rest-of-the-week and weekend! I hope the weather is as nice where you are as it is here.

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
#302 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~minnow~ View Post

I know what you mean about not "bothering" the midwife but that is what you're paying her for. If you still have some today or if it isn't great, call her! (Same advice to me. I didn't want to call her in the middle of the night if I didn't have to but on the other hand if this keeps up and it IS labor? She'll probably want to know to be prepared. Two other babies due this week even before mine!)

call your mws! you are paying good $$$$$ for this! make good use of it! i was pretty sure i wasn't in labor, but i was!
#303 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 05:17 PM

my interview on monday went fine but was insubstantial. the first interviewee just kvelled over where i went to college because her dd is going there. so it was a lot of questions like did you like it there. i was a little peeved because i announced i was immediately post-partum and would be looking for a delayed start and somebody was like well, no problem, we could start you nov. 1. i was like no, not till early 2008. of course i want feb, not jan, but we can negotiate details later in the process. frankly i felt pretty confident because i met the other applicants and i have way more experience than they do and it's the sort of experience where folks look at my resume and say wow. the other applicants had dumb answers, e.g., why do you want to work here -- because i need a job(!). there are lots of available positions. one piece of good news is that their domestic violence positions do not also involve the child welfare system -- as you may recall, what i didn't like about my last job was that you can't really be on the side of good vs. evil in the child welfare system because it's soo messed up, whereas representing battered women against batterers fits better with my black/white worldview. in an adversarial legal system, you are on one side or the other, so it had better be a side i believe in totally. the position i would be most interested in involved health law, including some policy work restructuring medicaid (the govt health program for the poor here in the US). so basically i think they should want me and it's just a matter of for which position and is that the best one in my book and what is the commute like. i think they should want me enough to let me go part-time -- i am so much more experienced than the other applicants that i could get more done part-time than they could full-time so unless they just want a warm body to stand up in court...(which alas is always possible...) i think i would still rather have the job i interviewed for last week, even though there is no chance of part-time work there. but if i didn't get that then i would get more time with dd. so i figure there are up sides to both arrangements. the bad news from monday is that there are a lot more interviews in this process, so a lot more separations from dd. i leave her with dh at work but alas his boss said he (the boss) comes to work to get away from crying babies. :

the daycare search is going better. nothing yet but i am less despairing than after i saw the first place. word on the street had it as so good but i hated the teachers in one of the infant rooms -- they let a child cry in a bouncy seat while attending to other children, apparently according to a schedule, as in, it's time to get your diaper changed/eat/etc. the physical plant, toys, etc. were impressive, but still. the second place i saw had a shocking dearth of toys but wonderfully interactive and verbal teachers and they do lots of things at the local parks and bring real life stuff in (for example, they went to the supermarket and brought back food and money etc. and recreated the supermarket in the school). so lots more to see and it's unlikely we'll get off most waiting lists before at least july/sept but i am hopeful and less despairing about leaving her.

i am hating being on this dairy elimination diet for dd's reflux. dh wants to give her zantac asap but i want to try dietary changes first.
#304 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 PM

Pie - getting the right sized nipple cone thing is a huge help with pumping. We're still at 8 times a day, so I hear you on hating it. It is my nemesis right now, but worth it since Isabella isn't yet strong enough to get full sometimes nursing alone... Yesterday we actually had to give her 2 oz of formula because she was so hungry. But, she was up to 6 lbs 4 oz on Monday so it's worth it!!! I can't believe she gained a pound in 10 days!!!

My mastitis is still really hurting - hoping the antibiotics kick in soon. I let it go too long and have it on both sides now. Ugh.

Becky - After posting in the "breastfeeding challenges" forum I'm feeling more at ease with the shield. I guess most near-term babies need it for at least a few weeks or until around their EDD, so I'm giving myself and her a break at least until the mastitis clears up. I'm in enough pain nursing without worrying about getting her latched on right. Good luck and just keep trying! It's easier to let her use it on the first breast and then try without it on the 2nd... We've had that work a few times.

Congrats to Natalia and baby Aiden!!! Love that name!!! Sebastian is one of my favorite boys names!

Grace - CALL CALL CALL!!! I had leg cramps the day before my water broke and I wish I'd been worried enough to call. I am telling you guys - you want them to STAY PUT until 37 weeks!!!
#305 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Just a check-in from a first trimester lurker I am ready for the nausea and m/s to be over - really I am. Today I have such a bone-weary tiredness that I feel like I'm moving underwater. 10 weeks 3 days along now.

Piepie, I worked in dependency law for almost three years as an attorney appointed to parents in the child welfare system. It truly sucked, and I completely agree with your assessment that there's no good guy/bad guy setup in that job. A lot of my clients were battered women, though, and my formerly held black/white opinions on that topic went right out the window as one client after another went back repeatedly to abusers who tried to kill them. I made the mistake of getting invested emotionally, driving clients myself to safe houses, etc. But I learned pretty quickly that that was not a good idea, especially in CA where parents' attorneys aren't given the protections of unsearchable license plate records.

Anyway, my experience led me to the realization that the abuser and his behavior is only part of the equation. It truly boggled my mind that client after client would choose her abuser over her children, but they did. Hopefully if you took a job representing battered women in criminal proceedings, you would not have to deal with that issue, since your clients would be those willing to press forward with the case. But just a caveat.

I am now an attorney for my state's Dept of Fish and Game, which is so much less stressful! But I never go to court anymore, which doesn't sound like the direction you would want to go. Good luck with jobs and daycare!

Lacy 35 and Chris 35, DS Jakob 2, and EDD 1/1/11
#306 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 06:35 PM

Cool! I feel the same as you re: the m/s....I was throwing up all day yesterday. Awful. I am 10 weeks exactly today. So our due-dates are within days of each other! I'm April 16th. Very cool to find someone at the same place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anouk View Post
Just a check-in from a first trimester lurker I am ready for the nausea and m/s to be over - really I am. Today I have such a bone-weary tiredness that I feel like I'm moving underwater. 10 weeks 3 days along now.

Piepie, I worked in dependency law for almost three years as an attorney appointed to parents in the child welfare system. It truly sucked, and I completely agree with your assessment that there's no good guy/bad guy setup in that job. A lot of my clients were battered women, though, and my formerly held black/white opinions on that topic went right out the window as one client after another went back repeatedly to abusers who tried to kill them. I made the mistake of getting invested emotionally, driving clients myself to safe houses, etc. But I learned pretty quickly that that was not a good idea, especially in CA where parents' attorneys aren't given the protections of unsearchable license plate records.

Anyway, my experience led me to the realization that the abuser and his behavior is only part of the equation. It truly boggled my mind that client after client would choose her abuser over her children, but they did. Hopefully if you took a job representing battered women in criminal proceedings, you would not have to deal with that issue, since your clients would be those willing to press forward with the case. But just a caveat.

I am now an attorney for my state's Dept of Fish and Game, which is so much less stressful! But I never go to court anymore, which doesn't sound like the direction you would want to go. Good luck with jobs and daycare!
#307 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 06:46 PM

Whoa, I missed a ton of stuff over the past few weeks (10 pages worth!). Welcome to the new mamas and congratulations to all the mamas who birthed babies recently!

Lacy and Brooklynmomma, I was hoping that the m/s would disappear right at 12 weeks, but it didn't . However, I am happy to say that there *is* light at the end of the tunnel ladies. Yesterday was my first day with only one teeny tiny bout of morning sickness and today I haven't had any so far. I am 14 weeks today.

I know that 4 weeks seems like a long time to wait. However the good news is that my m/s went from all day long to bursts/waves of m/s throughout the day between 11-14 weeks. So maybe it will let up for you too?

I'm finally in the 2nd trimester! I had my 2nd mw appointment on Monday and we got to hear the baby's heartbeat. Yay!
#308 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmomma View Post
Cool! I feel the same as you re: the m/s....I was throwing up all day yesterday. Awful. I am 10 weeks exactly today. So our due-dates are within days of each other! I'm April 16th. Very cool to find someone at the same place!
brooklynmomma - great to meet a due date buddy! I'm April 13th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkorchid2 View Post
Lacy and Brooklynmomma, I was hoping that the m/s would disappear right at 12 weeks, but it didn't . However, I am happy to say that there *is* light at the end of the tunnel ladies. Yesterday was my first day with only one teeny tiny bout of morning sickness and today I haven't had any so far. I am 14 weeks today.

I know that 4 weeks seems like a long time to wait. However the good news is that my m/s went from all day long to bursts/waves of m/s throughout the day between 11-14 weeks. So maybe it will let up for you too?
pinkorchid2 - four more weeks! yikes. I'm afraid you might be right since I didn't start the m/s as early as a lot of people do. It didn't get bad until I was about 6.5 weeks along. I hope I mimic you in the intermittent part, though, I'm so tired of wondering what will stay down!

Lacy 35 and Chris 35, DS Jakob 2, and EDD 1/1/11
#309 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 07:12 PM

lurker here just over 9 weeks.

this board popped up when i googled a local midwife who was recommended to me by a friend; the birth stories were really helpful.

to be honest, i'm a little overwhelmed by the scope of the board but hopefully will get acclimated soon.
#310 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 07:13 PM

I hate to tell the first trimesters this but I still have random bouts of m/s. In the last 2 weeks it's gotten MUCH better but it's still there at times. The nausea is gone - that started to ease after about 15 weeks - it's just the throwing up that is still lingering.
#311 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 PM

Hey, I threw up at 35 weeks. But just a couple times. And the nausea wasn't bad by that point

I'm still having contractions. I did call the midwife. I'm skeptical, because what in my history suggests I would go a bit early? Nothing.

However, here are the contractions still. Like 14 hours later. I am assuming that I will have them for days and days and trying to plan accordingly.

We were testing out the fishie pool anyway and I got in and WOW. OMIGOD. AMAZING. I want to live in there.

Anyway. I should go bake a cheesecake. I'm skeptical, but I will let you guys know if anything exciting develops.

By the way? Contractions totally hurt. I mean I knew this, but I was in some denial (like it would be like a sore muscle that wouldn't hurt if I just relaxed enough but no, they do in fact hurt).

Hi to all the new folks! Glad you guys are here and chatting!
#312 of 410 Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 PM

Contractions DO hurt - I was under the same impression that they would be like muscle pain. Nope, they just hurt. And mine wrapped around - started in the front and then went around to the right to my back and then back around my left to the front again. Weird. But, that was after I was on a pretty heavy dose of pitocin. I admit to going with an epidural when I was 6 cm. The pitocin had the contractions basically never ending - they were basically just on top of each other and blended into one contraction that would start to lessen and before ending would build again. I couldn't recover. The epidural actually let me relax a bit and I went from 6 to her head decending (they never felt me at 10 - they just felt her head) in almost no time and then to pushing in another 45 minutes or so. Only had about 15 minutes maybe of pushing? Isabella was in distress at that point, so it was just all about getting her out as quickly as possible. Oh, and the epi did NOTHING to lessen the actual birth - I felt everything and am happy I did (okay, except when the doctor tore me to get her out).

I also had no indications I'd go early - you just never know. My OB said next time he'll put me on disability at 31 weeks. And I'll do everything I can find to make the amniotic sac stronger.

My mastitis is not improving so now I'm on an additional antibiotic. It's a good thing that I am getting a baby out of this! I swear one look at her and it is all just so worth it. I am in love with her and with being her mommy. And seeing DH with her is amazing. I now love him as my dh and as her daddy, which is really cool.

Pie - sorry about the fight with DH. We've had a couple of really bad ones. The stress and exhaustion are just too much and one of us snaps. Dh is definitely moody and defensive in the evenings, so I'm leaving him alone when he's like that which is helping. I hope you guys are fine now...
#313 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
Contractions DO hurt - I was under the same impression that they would be like muscle pain. Nope, they just hurt.
Ok, but, like, a managable hurt, right? I mean, like, I can handle it, right? Right?
#314 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Ok, but, like, a managable hurt, right? I mean, like, I can handle it, right? Right?

Yes - until the pitocin really kicked in I was doing fine. They hurt, but as long as I had even 30 seconds in between to recover I was doing really well. You will too. And slow, deep breathing kicks ass. I got a bit nauseated at one point and my awesome nurse said it's lack of oxygen that causes nausea, so she kept reminding me to do slow, deep breaths and to exhale all the way before inhaling and I didn't have any more nausea for the whole labor.

You are going to do great!!!

By the way - the Glamour mom tanks suck for me. I got the large, which is supposed to fit 36DD and not only to my boobs spill out of it, the nipple holes are below my nipples so the seam cuts right across my already sensitive nipples. Nice. I'm sure they're great if you're small chested and/or have very low nipples. Mine are dead center on my boobs when I'm braless and they do not work with this tank at all...
#315 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 01:07 AM

Thx, Elizabeth I heard pitocin makes it really painful... I'm pretty sure if faced with that decision I'd go for the epi too. Hopefully I won't be in that situation but you never can tell!

My BH contractions are better... I've taken it easy today and drank lots of water supplemented with an elecrolyte mix. That one that didn't quit last night scared me! But I'm good now.

Pie... thanks for the interview update... I was wondering how it was going. Good luck!

I'm tired so hi everyone else, that's all the personalizing I've got for today!
#316 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 04:00 AM

ctx do hurt but i found them managable. it was somewhere in between what i expected. that whole painless labor? bunk for me. but it also wasn't that mythic, worst thing i ever felt pain except for transition. perhaps this is my memory playing games on me.
#317 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 PM

Question to the new moms: How long til the umbilical cord falls off? Cuz they have to wear t-shirts til then, right? And if they can't wear sleep gowns or sleep sacks til the cord falls off, how do you keep them warm if blankets are a suffocating hazard? (I'm having a winter baby!)

I'm trying to finish up my baby registry and I came across this problem!
#318 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 02:13 PM

hmm, we had her in sleep sacks and bodysuits even with the cord, just tried to make sure no elastic was on it. Main chunk fell off about day 5 but we continued to be careful with the stump for another week, I think.

post-baby stress with DH here too. Nothing major but we're just sniping at each other too much. Lack of, err, intimacy is the major factor I think. No real interest in dtd. Work has been busy and he definitely puts his work needs first, so I'm just scrambling to try and fit in my own work when I can. finances are becoming an issue too, with the nanny expense. The b-word is being tossed around alot (Budget, that is).
#319 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 PM

the b word was the nub of the problem here. likewise triggered by childcare expense. dh does not do well initially with sticker shock, and one place we're applying is 29k. but it is prorated, so it might make sense if she were there only 3 days a week.

we used onesies with the cord still on. dd's fell off at 14 days. mostly for those first days it was just dipes anyway. i think you may be overthinking this, julia. also, blankies are a sids risk only when loose, so if you are swaddling, they are not loose and not a risk. hth.

dd has a cold, which is rough on her and us. trying to steel myself to do the nasal suction thing. it feels so violent, but it is affecting her feeding. she takes herself off the breast to breathe.

lane in labor?
#320 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 02:44 PM

have our lauras had their babes?
#321 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Julia - I was told no onsie covering the cord until it fell off. We used t-shirts and diapers only and Benjamin lost his cord after 7 days. It continued to ooze for about a week after that, but the pediatrican said it was fine for us to start using onsies and to give him a real bath.

Lane - I had pretty strong BH contractions from about week 22 onward. Around week 35/36 they started being more regular and noticable, but they never got close enough or strong enough for me (or the midwife) to worry. As it turned out I went full term I am hoping you also get a fully cooked babe. However, if you are having PAINFUL regular contractions you really do need to contact your care provider.
#322 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Omigod, you guys. I had a baby!

She was a teeny tiny bit early and weighed 6 pounds, 3 ounces. We think we are calling her Adelaide but are still choosing a middle name. She got 10s on her Apgars and is miniature and perfect.

I was horrible in labor. I screamed, cried, told my midwife to shut up, and spent hours yelling NO NO NO NO NO and telling them that I couldn't do this. I screamed LOUDLY. Everyone else in the room would breathe and make low down deep noises -- "open your throat! you have to go through this pain for it to end" -- and I just would wail and shriek way up high with a totally constricted throat and swear and beg for the contraction to be over. And yet -- she came out anyway, in spite of my resistance. (Pushing? sucked. Crowning? The worst thing ever.) I seriously didn't think I would be able to do it, but... wow! I did! I guess it happened kind of fast. If you count those contractions from yesterday, I was technically in labor for 30 hours, but most of the action happened in the last 12 and the last parts were really, really fast so at least I don't feel like a total wuss. I did most of the dilating by myself all night (yelling at my poor husband a couple of times) before we called everyone at 5 a.m. I had the baby by 10:30.

My midwives and doula were so awesome. The pain was a lot worse than I imagined, I handled it stunningly poorly, and it was the best birth ever. I am SO thrilled to be at home, confined to my bed, baby on chest, husband making the soup I didn't get to make (we did make the cheesecake as a labor project, though), and yeah, taking this opportunity to update you guys since no idea what the next few days will be like.

I'm still totally overwhelmed. I thought I was going to have the baby in October. This was very sudden. We haven't even called our parents yet. It just seems almost too freaky to report.
#323 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~minnow~ View Post
Omigod, you guys. I had a baby!

She was a teeny tiny bit early and weighed 6 pounds, 3 ounces. We think we are calling her Adelaide but are still choosing a middle name. She got 10s on her Apgars and is miniature and perfect.

I was horrible in labor. I screamed, cried, told my midwife to shut up, and spent hours yelling NO NO NO NO NO and telling them that I couldn't do this. I screamed LOUDLY. Everyone else in the room would breathe and make low down deep noises -- "open your throat! you have to go through this pain for it to end" -- and I just would wail and shriek way up high with a totally constricted throat and swear and beg for the contraction to be over. And yet -- she came out anyway, in spite of my resistance. (Pushing? sucked. Crowning? The worst thing ever.) I seriously didn't think I would be able to do it, but... wow! I did! I guess it happened kind of fast. If you count those contractions from yesterday, I was technically in labor for 30 hours, but most of the action happened in the last 12 and the last parts were really, really fast so at least I don't feel like a total wuss. I did most of the dilating by myself all night (yelling at my poor husband a couple of times) before we called everyone at 5 a.m. I had the baby by 10:30.

My midwives and doula were so awesome. The pain was a lot worse than I imagined, I handled it stunningly poorly, and it was the best birth ever. I am SO thrilled to be at home, confined to my bed, baby on chest, husband making the soup I didn't get to make (we did make the cheesecake as a labor project, though), and yeah, taking this opportunity to update you guys since no idea what the next few days will be like.

I'm still totally overwhelmed. I thought I was going to have the baby in October. This was very sudden. We haven't even called our parents yet. It just seems almost too freaky to report.

Well congrats on making it through, Mama!!!!!! Welcome to the world little girl!!!

signature currently in transition
#324 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Oh my goodness Lane! I guess those *were* contractions the other day. Congratulations to you and welcome to your little baby girl!
#325 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 04:31 PM

Wow, Minnow!!!! Congratulations!!!!

And welcome to your beautiful baby girl!!
#326 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 04:43 PM

:Congratulations Lane!!! Welcome to baby Adelaide!!! :

I'm really behind here....

:Congratulations to Natalia! Welcome baby Aidan!!!:

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#327 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 04:49 PM

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention the puking. I puked a lot! Fortunately puking helps you dilate. (Or did me.)

Wow, I am super high on endorphins right now.
#328 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 PM

Wow Lane congratulations!
#329 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 05:08 PM

omg, you remind me of myself post-partum. totally high on the hormones but also a bit traumatized, or at least confused, by the birth. nothing like you expected and planned for, right? how early was she? she is a good size. i was full-term (15 days early) and only 5.12 (and my mom didn't smoke or anything).

WELCOME BABY ADELAIDE! i love the name, btw. dh vetoed it -- he is a doofus. but at least your babe gets to be the only adelaide on the thread. i love it because of the little girl in that cancelled tv series "fly away home."

call your parents!
#330 of 410 Old 09-20-2007, 05:33 PM

Congratulations Lane and welcome Baby Minnow!!!

Holy cow how exciting! I thought something might be up when you said that you wanted to live in your fishie pool, but I had no idea you'd have a baby so soon! Congrats on making it through labor - you did it. It doesn't matter how you think you handled it, it matters that you handled it. Woo hoo!

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page