Forum Jump: 

#61 of 410 Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I’ve been away for a few days….

Congratulations Emily!!!
: Welcome Benjamin!

Alex, thanks for sharing your birth story.

Jenn, I agree with the others, what a beautiful gift from your mom.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 410 Old 09-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Congrats to Emily! Yeah!!

Jenn, glad to hear you are surviving. Family does help a lot in the healing.

1st and 2nd trimester's how are you doing?! (This is an attempt to stop the lurking and have you post!! LOL)

Me, well I'll be 16 weeks on Friday! I picked up a few more maternity things at lunch today. I also started looking into child care as I have heard some places have long waiting lists etc. Wow, I was thinking about $500 a month... boy was I wrong. The places I talked to all average about $200 a week. That was a big shock to me! Well now at least I have until next May to prepare for it!
#63 of 410 Old 09-05-2007, 04:31 PM

So I have my first appointment with the delivering GP tomorrow. She comes highly recommended - my close friend is an Obs/Gyn in Vancouver and started polling all her contacts in my city to find the best one for me once she found out I was pregnant. (A good friend to have!) Still, I'm really nervous - I don't like going to the doctor and really want to have as natural a birth as possible (but can't afford a midwife/birth centre).

Any advice on questions I should be asking her?

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

#64 of 410 Old 09-05-2007, 06:43 PM

Mel...ask her what her C-section rate is, how late you can go before an induction (most say 42 weeks I think), her philosophy on episiotomies... those are ones I can think of off the top of my head. You'll want to ask about all the prenatal testing and decide which, if any, you're going to do. Good luck! The first appt. is so exciting.

I just had one today... my doula came, too, and met the midwife. Had my GTT and will get the results around Friday. : Blood pressure is 117/70, HB is in the 150's and strong (the baby's that is), all good news. She's going to let us rent an aqua doula from her for the waterbirth, so we don't have to order it online.

Just had to share this real quick... a coworker gave us bags and bags of baby stuff (again)... toys, clothes, etc. but the best was a onesie that said:

"I Might Barf"

I LOVE it, I think it's my new favorite item. Ranks up there with the onesie we saw at Target that says "Tax Deduction".
#65 of 410 Old 09-05-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

My favorite onesie saying is "mother sucker."

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS EMILY!:

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
#66 of 410 Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 PM

Becky how are you holding up? 40+3 now is it? I saw a poll in the I'm Pregnant forum (informal of course) asking when firstborn babies were birthed un-induced. About 80% had their babies before 41 weeks. :

Lane and PiePie thanks for the sling and cosleeping info. I think I'll get the ring sling for myself and see if DH expresses interest. We'll each have our own pouch and a Moby to share also. CJ how do you like your Hotsling now? I'm wondering if I should just skip the pouch in favor of the ring sling. For cosleeping, I guess we'll just take it as it comes. Sounds like I'll have plenty of time to read about it before it actually happens! PiePie I hadn't thought about combining nightweaning with bed transitioning. It makes sense but I wonder if it's too many changes at once. Again, I'm sure it depends on the baby.

Lane how exciting that your birth team is visiting your home tomorrow! Wow 37 weeks and the end is near. You sound relaxed and prepared, with clean baby clothes and a lasagna in the freezer. I KWYM about not having many friends around b/c they all graduated. It sucks, but at least we have babies (and oh yeah, dissertations) to occupy all of our waking thoughts.

Julia
I can't believe you could read BFW during POTO either! I skipped the birth art parts but I might go back and do them - it would be good for me. There's a small group in our DDC reading the book now if you're interested in a discussion. I find it hard to pay attention b/c there's so much crap in the sidebars but generally it's pretty cool. Definitely a different message from Hypnobirthing. I'm 2/3 of the way through and feel like I just got to the good stuff - the exercises with ice. I might actually make some ice and try it. I hope your first day back at work goes well! I was wondering if you'd make it through those performances w/o a potty break. I guess the answer is.... depends. I crack myself up!

Melanie, Julia gave you some great questions, which were the first to pop into my head too. Check out the Birth Professionals forum and you might find a list of questions to ask docs. I know there's a sticky of questions for MWs which I found helpful.

I think I may need a little smack to the head or something. For the past few days I've been thinking maybe a "walking epidural" wouldn't be such a bad thing. You know, just take the edge off the pain but still be mobile enough to shuffle down the hall and change positions during birthing. Then I think well, one intervention leads down the road to many interventions and I do not want pitocin or constant fetal monitoring or to be confined to a bed. Maybe I'm just getting scared and thinking I won't be able to handle it. Maybe I'm wondering why I should be in pain if I don't have to be. (Very un-MDC I know.) It seems like there are so many changes and learning curves after birth that I'd want to have the least traumatic birth experience possible, especially since I'm at risk for PPD. Am I just rationalizing this to myself or does this make sense? Anyone else struggling with this?

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#67 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 03:30 AM

julia, officially, you can use the bjorn once babe is 8 lbs. which happens fast! dd was 7 pounds zero ounces when she was born and is 8 pounds 6 ounces now!

i am REALLY tired. had a little meltdown today when i couldn't get her to sleep so i could sleep; fortunately a friend showed up (with food) and soothed her and me. no sleep though for me.

i went to a breastfeeding support group today -- huge thumbs up! i feel really good about how we are doing. it helped to have the other mama-babe couples to compare. also the weight gain definitely boosted my confidence!

i have been slow to rise for some of her night feedings, stretching the gap from 3 to 4 hours. my lactation consultant was not pleased. although she is the gentlest soul on the planet. i swear if i ever leave dh it will be for her. (she is like 60 years old.)

i am giving her tummy time at 1:17 am. i am realizing that i am not reading to her every day as planned. : cmu, you rock! will check out that sleep book. the bad news is that the lactation consultant said that side-lying is not realistic (with a good latch) until babe is 2 months. so it's more getting up to the glider, putting on the my brest friend, etc. for me.
#68 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 03:32 AM

dee, our hosp advertised its walking epidural but the teacher of the hosp-sponsored birthing class said they don't work as advertised -- most women are too numb to walk.
#69 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 08:14 AM

Hello!

I've been so busy this week that I just got through reading all the posts. Congratulations to Emily on your new baby!

I had my first childbirth class last night-and so far I really like it. Tonight I have my MW appointment. I'm craving fruit juice like it's nobody business. Our local grocery store sells this orange strawberry banana juice and I just keep wanting to drink it! How is that for a weird craving? Other than that I've been fine. People keep asking me how I am feeling-and it's getting annoying-I know they are trying to be nice-but I'm not sick, I'm pregnant. Also besides swollen feet and feeling like I have a cumbersome belly there isn't much to tell.

I'm glad to have discovered this thread. I think being pregnant in your 30's is a unique experience!

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#70 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 10:51 AM

Kaern, not a weird craving at all... every time DH and I go to the grocery store I want grapefruit juice like nobody's business... I swear I don't think about it any other time. So I get a little one and watch for it to be scanned, then grab it greedily from the counter and guzzle! It's so strange!

Pie... good to know about the Bjorn. I'm expecting this baby to be 8 pounds coming out... DH and I were 8 and 8.5, respectively. (I'm doing affirmations daily where I say to my belly, "8 pounds and you're done, mister, you hear me?" ) Too bad about the side-lying position being no good til 2 months, I was really planning on doing that. Isn't that part of why people co-sleep, so you can just grab baby to boob without having to go through all the steps of going to the glider, putting on the pillow, etc.?

Dee... that's not unusual, to be apprehensive... I find myself having those moments too. You're doing hypnobabies too? I have the stuff but haven't really gotten into it yet. But I'm combining that with all these other books, and the Bradley classes, hoping that with the waterbirth combined, something will take and I will feel no pain. I know this is unrealistic, but gosh when you hear such mixed reviews about what it's going to feel like, how can you not wonder if you're doing the right thing? I get everything from "Oh I barely felt contractions, didn't even know I was in labor" to, "You're doing a HOMEBIRTH? Better you than me" or something else like that. (At best). Have you done the hypnobabies "Bubble of Peace" exercise? I keep meaning to... but we haven't even done our Bradley exercises yet... but it looks like a good one. A way to block out all the negative messages about birthing that are out there, everywhere. I guess the most important part is that my doula believes I won't be in bad pain, so maybe she'll convince me while it's happening. Either way, there's no turning back for me, I'm not going to be at the hospital! Which was kind of why I am doing the homebirth... I didn't want the option of "giving in" to the pain. Because, then like you said, it's a downward spiral of interventions.

Rehearsal was so satisfying yesterday... I love the beginnings of the opera season... everyone's at the top of their game and I remember how good my orchestra can sound. The music director for this production, who hadn't seen me in a while, came over to me, pointing at my belly... asked when I was due and wanted to make sure I was playing the whole run, which made me feel good. I like when the GOOD music directors like me and the job I do. Anyhow, I decided then and there to do whatever I could to work as long as possible... I'm just a different person when I'm working... I have a sense of usefulness that quickly disappears when we're not working. So if that means Depends, well, I may have to renegotiate how I feel about it! I did fine with the bathroom breaks though, so I think I'll be ok.
#71 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 PM

Dee, I know exactly what you mean. I'm going to hold off as long as I can, but knowing that my baby is in the perfect position makes me not so nervous to "give in" to an epi. Like, if the baby was posterior or something I know I'd need to be mobile to try to get her to turn. I'm going to be flexible, and I have a great doula and will do the best I can, but I'm not going to be rigid about pain relief.

So, I'm 50% effaced, 2-3cm dilated. Yay! Midwife went ahead and did a membrane sweep without asking -- what the hell? I was going to ask her to do one anyway, so it's really no big deal, but you know.... why do theythink they can just DO that?

It was pretty uncomfortable, and I've been crampy since then and sometimes I'm feeling that tightness/contraction feeling too.

The midwife thinks I'll go by this weekend. She said if I didn't she wanted to see me at the hospital at 6:30am Monday morning to be induced. I just looked at her and said I didn't want to be induced. I never said I'd show up. We'll see.

The monitor/non-stress test was interesting. I knew baby wouldn't cooperate. I was hooked up for maybe 45 minutes with little movement. When this kid's out, she's out. Thankfully it didn't concern them too much. I updated my doula on the drive home (and my mom and sister).

Doing ok, just really crampy. Ouch.
#72 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 05:01 PM

Hi, I'm just popping in for a bit. I should clean the kitchen floor and go through some stuff and take a nap, maybe.

We went to the doctor this morning. I'm now 80% effaced and I've dropped more. He said negative two once then negative three. (I think this refers to how much the baby is dropped before reaching the pelvis. I vaguely remember it from the childbirth class and the doctor explained it again) If he said the dialation, neither Andy nor I caught it. He also said within the next week or two, which makes sense, since the first due date my first doctor said was the 14th and then the 21 from the first u/s and the 21st from the ultrasound we had here. Next Wednesday is my next appointmet (assuming the baby doesn't come early) with another ultrasound. My doctor is concerend about my baby's size, even though he was pleased with her heartbeat. I think it's because he could get a measurement of 34 or 35 and wanted to be sure. He did comment that I hid her well. Well, I'm tall and thin so that might have something to do with it. (I've only gained 35 pounds.)

Now we're on higher baby watch alert. Today or tomorrow I'm goingto go out and run some errands and just basically enjoy not having to worry about baby stuff. (Oh, yeah. Speaking fo baby stuff and errands, I need to call the PD to see if they can check to see if my car seat is in right. As soon as my foot wakes up.) If the baby comes this weekend, or at least before Rosh Hashanah, my doctor, who is Jewish (we just found this out today; We don't care, but it's just interesting in a good way) told us he'd be out of the office for it and the holidays the following week, and that somebody else from the office would deliver my baby. I mentioned how my sister's daughter (who was born at the same hospital) was born on Easter and she had a Jewish doctor because her regular doctor was out. I thought the irony was a bit amusing.

I still have to finish packing my bags, though. I figure my post-hospital bag can wait until we're getting ready to leave for the hospital. I have two pairs of maternity jeans, but one pair is too big still. I have a pair of khakis that might still be too big. Fortunately, both of the too big ones were yard sale purchaces and only $1 each. One of the things I read said clothes that fit at five months, the other said six. I retired my non-maternity clothes at five months. So would that be the first half or the second half? Eh. I'm taking a blouse that I could wear then, only because I like it.

We did the childbirth class on Saturday. I told Andy Friday evening that I didn't sign up because it was the first Ohio State U game of the season and I thought he might want to watch. He said I should still try and sign up. I talked to two people at the hospital Saturday morning who knew nothing about it, which was kinda frustrating. However, we went and signed up on the spot. Now that I have a vague idea of what to expect, I'm even more anxious.

I pray, pray, PRAY that short labors run in my family and this is the ONE thing I inherited from my mother. My mom said that her labors with my older sister and me lasted about six or seven hours (maybe even only five). From what my mom can remember, my sister's labor with her daughter was no more than six hours. She said that my sister's ex called about 6:30 and by noon when they were done with church (it was an Easter Sunday and both of my neice's grandfathers are pastors, so they definately couldn't leave) they knew my sister had had a girl. (My sister and her ex wanted to wait to find out.) Funny, I'm not as opposed to the drugs, but I need to decide if I want the low dose epidural, or to have it turned off early so it wears off sooner. I did tell my husband that I want to try all of the natural methods before the drugs though. Of course, I say that now...

After what Dr. Green said this morning, I'm really hopeful for a short labor. Yay.

So this is me now. I could really use a nap. This baby isn't letting me sleep, though I guess I should get used to it. For the past month or so, I couldn't lay on my right side, because that's where she settled, I guess, and she would poke me. I guess she was trying to get me to move. Now, she pokes on my left side as well, which I always found more comfortable, too. If I lay on my back, I just can't stay that way long without stopping breathing. Ugh.

Anyway, I'll read everybody else's posts today, I hope. This evening is a meeting of the senior spouses, so I'm going to that, too. I just hope it doesn't last too long.

Happy day,
Laura
#73 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 05:09 PM

Plummum? Becky? Any news? (Oops, you posted while I was rambling! Things sound good. I think a flexible attitude is great! Laura, too, good luck! Actually, my uterus is also "small" [it measured 32 today at 37 wks, which is "smaller" than two weeks ago -- baby tends to hide!] but my midwife does not care -- heartbeat is good -- so don't let your dr freak you out too much based just on size.)

Dee, I understand your dilemma about pain meds. For me, it wasn't about "I want a natural birth," it was about wanting a HOME birth which automatically ruled out meds. I am totally on board the natural birth thing but I have of course also had thoughts of, wow, it seems easier just to have some pain meds. (On that note -- maybe I should have some bourbon on hand for the birth. Just in case. Kidding! Maybe.) However, I will say that I have ALSO been told that the "walking epidural" is generally a misnomer, and the "cascade of interventions" has really been drilled into my head. Plus, all the kinds of things you have to be hooked up to just to GET an epidural. If you can articulate really clearly why you don't want to be monitored/in bed, etc, and you know that an epidural increases your chances of other interventions, that gives you your answer to your question (why feel pain when I don't need to?)

Do you have the Henci Goer book? I like her discussions of the various procedures offered in hospitals, including epidurals.

I really hate the attitude Julia references, that "oh you're trying to be macho" attitude about natural childbirth, or the "you're crazy." (I'm not having a homebirth to be macho -- but to be peaceful and empowered, and because I don't feel comfortable in the hospital.) It's been explained to me that it's sort of like choosing when/what kind of pain you feel. In natural labor, it's like working out really hard -- the pain is probably offset by the other hormones ( endorphins) your body is producing. Then, after birth, it's over. An epidural would prevent the endorphins and hormone cocktail and make your memory of the pain you do feel less fuzzy. Also, if you have to have a c-section because the epidural slows your ability to push, you'll probably hurt a lot more AFTER the birth.

Forgive if I'm just repeating what the books say. I believe in the option of pain meds. I just think it's important (not yet having done it myself ) for women to believe going in that they CAN do it. You're a workout person -- I know you can handle pain. (Also you're a grad student -- so ditto!) And if in the labor itself it turns out that you need medicine? In that case, you've made the decision in an empowered way based on your actual labor, instead of out of mere fear. Which would be an awesome empowerment to draw on, to stave off PPD.

Oh, and thanks for saying I sound calm; I'm actually freaking out a little. Okay, a lot (though my midwives were very nice and gave me compliments about being prepared so that helped). I can't believe how close it is. I've been counting down to this time THE WHOLE YEAR and here it is. Wow. Totally freaky. And yeah, there's the dissertation to keep me company. If only it would show up with some food and soothing like PiePie's friend... (I am also totally bummed to hear about the two-month side-lying thing. I am hoping for a precocious baby in this regard.)

Okay, sorry for chattering up a storm. Melanie, how was the appointment? Judy, yeah, childcare is super expensive! Good luck finding what you need. Karen, omg, it just gets worse. The other day in Target someone BROUGHT ME A CART because I looked like I was "struggling" with my (nearly empty) basket. Julia, glad your work season is starting off so well! I'm jealous of your two gliders; sounds like a great set up.
#74 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 05:24 PM

Okay, so I'm going to turn this into a question for you ladies further out than me. How did you let yourself feel "ready"? I'm never going to finish EVERYTHING on my "to do" list... we have our birth supplies pretty much together (save a hose and adapter for the pool)... I'd love to sew curtains for the nursery but I don't yet have a sewing machine and the blind is working just fine... How do you let go of all that isn't done, sweeping that floor the last time, sending out those last few thank you cards (yes, I suck), cooking another meal, getting work-related stuff done? When did you feel "Okay, I'm at peace with where we are, babe can come?" What did you have to do or have ready to feel that way?
#75 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 05:43 PM

Quick comment while Benjamin is asleep...

Yeah my labor was SUPER long. I NEVER ever would have made it through without all of my prenatal yoga. I ended up getting an epidural around 11:30PM on Aug 31 because I had had enough (I was 100% effaced, Ben was completely stationed, yet my cervix was a stubborn 4...and that was after I had been manually dilated by the midwife). I went through one more manual dilation (which brought me to a 5) and two hours of pitocin before crying uncle and getting the epi. After laboring that long and being in that much pain, the epidural was the best thing ever. I could totally move my legs (although I did have to stay in bed because the hospital required constant fetal monitoring with epis, plus my midwife wanted to make sure I was contracting regularly). Getting that epi was probably the sanest thing I did during my labor.
#76 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 05:45 PM

Also quick shout out to Becky!
I can't wait for you to meet your little one. I suspect the membrane sweep will get you going. ELVs to you momma
#77 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_to_Earth View Post

I pray, pray, PRAY that short labors run in my family and this is the ONE thing I inherited from my mother. My mom said that her labors with my older sister and me lasted about six or seven hours (maybe even only five). From what my mom can remember, my sister's labor with her daughter was no more than six hours. She said that my sister's ex called about 6:30 and by noon when they were done with church (it was an Easter Sunday and both of my neice's grandfathers are pastors, so they definately couldn't leave) they knew my sister had had a girl. (My sister and her ex wanted to wait to find out.)

Laura, The best thing my childbirth instructor told us was to expect a long (by which she meant 24 hour) labor, so that if it goes shorter, you will be pleasantly surprised!
#78 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 PM

minnow, we were not "ready" in that the apt. wasn't organized yet, but i turned a corner where i was "ready" emotionally. dh did too. it was cool. we just knew we had what we needed and everything else would come in time. a lot of the pre-baby organizing was done by our post-partum doula on monday. and i was okay with it. i am so glad dd came when she did notwithstanding the things still left on my to do list (including every single thank you note : : ). "born at the right time..."
#79 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 07:16 PM

I'm really behind and I haven't got time to catch up right this second but I will, I just have a quick update - we had our 20wk ultrasound (can't believe I'm half way already) and I'm so happy IT'S A GIRL! I was so ready for them to say it was a boy, dh's family is all boys, even though I was hoping and kept having dreams that it was a girl. I think he's in total shock over it and it'll probably take him a while to adjust, all he can think about right now is boys and dating, but I'm totally over the moon : .

Here are two pics profile foot
#80 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 PM

Woo hoo! Yay Sarah! I'm so happy you're happy. That's how I felt too. I love u/s pics where you can see the spine.

Thanks, Pie, for your response. Right: born at the right time ... I like that song.
#81 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 PM

Ooo I bet there are going to be some new babies when I get back Tuesday. Good luck everyone!

Emily – WOW you went through a lot. I’m so glad the epi worked for you. How’s everything going?

Dee – ‘whatever works’ has become my new motto. You are smart to know your options, know the implications, and be ready for whatever comes your way. If pain relief had been an option for me, I would have taken it after 5 hours of pushing. But it wasn’t and I would totally do the birth center again.

On carriers – I don’t use the hotsling pouches much at all. Ring sling accomplishes the same thing and is so much more flexible. Just got the ergo and am a little disappointed. She’s not big enough to straddle my waist so I have to frog her. (is that a verb? To frog?) so it’s basically like a mei tai only bulkier. I'm sure we'll use it for the back carry eventually though.
#82 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 PM

minnow, I think I got "ready" by accepting that it was ok if everything wasn't perfect. You WILL have time to do things after the baby comes, they'll just happen slower than usual.

Sarah, congrats on your girl!! Welcome to Team Pink! What a perfect profile shot! And the little foot is so adorable!

Emily, you DID go through a lot. Kudos for all your hard work.
#83 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 PM

So much to catch up on!

Minnow: The appointment went well today. I really liked the new doctor, she is young and seemed very down to earth. It was more an intro meeting than anything. They pegged my EDD as April 16 although we are still going to tell people "late April" to keep them off our backs. The only crappy thing is that she is in a group of 7 women doctors so there is no guarantee that she will be delivering the baby. I asked her about medication-free labour and she said the best thing to do is read up on it, go through the child-birth classes of our choice and ask lots of questions every time I see her - that way I will know what my options are and will be able to make informed decisions when the time comes and not beat myself up if something happens and I do need medical assistance. That sounds like good advice to me. I figure I just have to stay as healthy and strong as possible, hope for the best and see what happens - it made me feel a lot better. I'm still getting a doula for the extra support.

Funny story: both DH & I were in the room and the doctor asked us what we did, when the DH said "student" she asked him what he was studying and once he said "physics" she gave the typical reaction: (this is why he hates telling people what he does) "Oh, I hated physics, I don't know why anyone would WANT to study it." And then she went into how she had to take it for pre-med" and DH said, "I know, I had to teach it to students like you" which made her laugh because she conceded that teaching pre-med students physics is probably worse than studying it.

Hmmm... maybe that was only funny to us. Moving on...

Emily: You sound very strong and I hope I am empowered enough to make the right decisions when the time comes.

Sarah: Congratulations on finding out it's a girl! There are so many boys in my family right now, I have five nephews and no nieces, DH is the 2nd of 3 boys and my Mum was the only girl out of six, that one of the reason we don't want to find out is in case the baby IS a girl - our Mothers will lose their minds so it's better if the little one stays secret until people actually need to know.

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

#84 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 PM

Sarah! Congrats on your girl! : Very cool. Isn't it so cool to see the little one? I LOVE the picture of the foot. Hee hee hee...

Lane that was a beautiful summation to why you're doing a homebirth. I feel the same way. I'm not trying to be a frontier woman, I'm just trying to be in a safe emotional space, which for me as at home in the pool with my chosen birth team. Loved, loved, loved what you wrote. Oh yeah... don't be too jealous of our glider situation... we're now out $2K! And I'm sure I'll still have to fight DH for the one downstairs. I think he thinks it's his new recliner, not my nursing chair. We might have some glider issues...am I gonna have to pee on it to mark my territory?

Emily... my god woman I can't believe you lasted that long! I think you did the right thing (not that you're asking!)... so after the epi did you finally dilate the rest of the way? I'm glad it gave you some relief. Hadn't you been in labor for a few days by then? I can't wait to see pics of Benjamin, when you get time. Thanks for checking in!

Becky...could the crampies could be early labor? Good luck!
#85 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Julia thanks for saying that you have moments of doubt and apprehension about birthing without drugs too. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in my thoughts that I forget others feel the same way. You are strong and your waterbirth will be awesome. I read Hypnobabies and loved it - it seemed to powerful yet peaceful. Birthing from Within sort of scares me because it talks a lot about pain, which I don't want to think about! Glad your first day back at work went so well!

Lane thank you so much for explaining so well why you're doing homebirth. I believe that endorphins can lessen pain and the memory of pain, and I particularly like that approach b/c of my biochemistry background. I'm still definitely afraid of the intervention cascade. I read Easy Labor by Camaan, which did a pretty good job explaining pain management options from epidurals to hypnosis (no mention of bourbon though!) so at least I know a little about each option. I think my panic was precipitated by my doc telling me that I should start taking zoloft now to prevent PPD. I've been off anti-depressants since TTC and I'm proud of myself (well, my hormones) for doing so well without them. I'll do what's necessary to keep my baby and me healthy but I'm not ready to get back on meds yet. Somehow I equated a difficult birth with PPD so I started thinking about ways to have an easy birth. You and Julia (and CJ) talked me down, though, so I'm back where I started: going med-free but open to anything as the situation unfolds.

#86 of 410 Old 09-06-2007, 11:28 PM

Lane, you're ready hon! Curtains be damned! I can imagine you have a crazy mix of emotions as you get ready to welcome your LO but it sounds to me like you're ready.

Sarah congrats on your baby girl! : Yay! It's so nice to be able to say "she" (or "he" as the case may be) instead of "it." Sorry to hear your DH is in shock - he'll come around and be as excited as you are eventually.

Becky I can't believe your MW did a membrane sweep without telling you! TG you were going to ask for one anyway. Hopefully the crampies are the start of something good. Looks like the universe owes someone on this thread a short easy labor to compensate for what CJ, Pie and Emily went through. Easy labor vibes coming your way!

Emily wow is all I can say. I'm sorry labor turned out to be so long, painful and exhausting for you. You definitely proved to yourself and everyone else that you can handle the pain. It's great to hear that you don't regret getting the epi. It sounds like you've already processed quite a bit of the experience. How is BFing going? I would love to see pictures too, when you have time.

CJ it's good to know the hotsling isn't your favorite. I had a feeling it was going to be a dud, kind of a generic one-size-fit-none type of thing. Maybe I'll return both of mine and get two ring slings. Sorry the Ergo is not working for you yet. At least you have several other options! Oh and I love the mental image of you bending down to pick up dog poop while carefully balancing a baby.

Melanie glad your doc appointment went well & you like her. Sounds like she said all the right things!

#87 of 410 Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 AM

Dee... honey I feel for you. I can't remember if we've talked about this... perhaps... maybe I've forgotten, but I didn't realize you suffered from depression before. I went off my mood stabilizer when I got preggo (I was almost off of it anyhow) and I'd been working towards doing that anyhow for a couple years... but I know with a previous history of depression I may be at risk for PPD. But I figure, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I love being med-free. I'm not depressed NOW. I think a big component of PPD is whether or not a woman feels supported, or isolated. I plan to keep up with my therapy, get back to yoga as soon as I can, and make time for me so I don't get isolated. I know this will be tough in the first couple months but DH knows it's important... and he is able to take off a month of work to stay with me and help. I think that makes a big difference... from what I hear. That said, hormones are hormones and they can rule my world sometimes! So I may eat my words. But these are the things I think can help. Do you have help after baby comes? Can DH be home for a bit, do you have friends/family around to help, a support network, can you hire a post-partum doula or something? Etc. Of course, we'll have to start that "Chasing after #1 in our 30's" thread we've been talking about... right ladies?

OMG OMG this is totally off-topic but I can't believe Pavarotti died! He was a pompous a$$, but a legendary voice. Wow. I know, total non-sequitor. I'm just in shock.
#88 of 410 Old 09-07-2007, 01:48 AM

i was afraid of ppd but this is the happiest i have been in my entire life!
#89 of 410 Old 09-07-2007, 02:58 AM

Hi ladies. I've been a little busy this week... Isabella Lourdes Sofia was born on Labor Day!!! 5 weeks early! 5lb 13 oz, 18 1/2 inches and GORGEOUS!!!

I haven't had any chance to catch up, but wanted to tell you all.

She is absolutely beautiful! Short story is that my water broke on Sunday morning, so we went into the hosptial. My awesome OB was out of town, but the whole experience went as smoothly as it could have considering that she was early. Her actual birth was a bit scary since she didn't tolerate having her head compressed well, but we got her out!!!

She has a few health concerns from being early. She spent a few hours in the NICU getting her breathing straightened out, but after that was able to room in with me. Although, the NICU team prepared us for up to 2 weeks up there. She had to stay last night AFTER I was discharged because she developed pretty disturbing jaudice (she was VERY yellow). That cleared up and this morning we found out she has a "moderate" VSD (hole in her heart between the right and left chambers). She has her very own cardiologist.

I can't tell you all how emotional it's all been - everything has been so chaotic and up and down. First she's sick, then fine, then sick, then fine, then we hear about a "moderate heart murmur" that they have to investigate and that they're doing chest x-rays, echocardiogram, etc... I have cried so much that last night my right eye was actually swollen almost SHUT. Taking her home today was the best feeling ever, but then as soon as we're home the whole "triple feed" thing has me overwhelmed. I swear all I do is feed an pump. There is no time for sleep or eating or anything...

She is bar none the best thing that has ever happened to either of us and I can't wait for you all to experience this too. It's so much harder and so much better than you can possibly imagine!
#90 of 410 Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 AM

Elizabeth!!! Congratulations on Isabella!!
You snuck in there! Sorry it's been so stressful but I hope Isabella is doing well and that you adjust to the crazy feedings.

Wow it's baby bonanza around here! I love it!

Becky - I know you're next!!! Or maybe Laura?

About being ready - Lane - I haven't gotten through my to do list in fact it seems to keep growing as I roam my house and realize all the stuff I still need to clean or hoard. But emotionally I'm ready. I'm ready to meet my baby, to face labor - finally. So somehow you do feel ready though not prepared!

So I've been having 'contractions' for the last few days mostly at night which is crappy because I don't even sleep my 2 hours intervals anymore. My childbirth instructor said to not think of the contractions as painful - as a signal from your body that something is going wrong - but to think of them as unique sensations that are helping get the baby out. Don't know if it will help when the real ones come.

Pain relief is really an exception here so basically unless something goes wrong the norm is natural - so I don't get the fall back of getting an epidural even if I delivered in a hospital. I guess this could be good or really bad...

Julia - I also think sharing our glider is going to be an issue since my DH thinks it's his new chair... well it is very comfy!

Okay I gotta go... strange feelings in the gut.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page