Pregnant with #1 in our 30s September - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2007, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i too love the amazing miracle blanket and the my brest friend (better for BFing than the boppy).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2007, 02:48 AM

did you see that plummum had her baby? Sinead Summer. Check out the August DDC for details.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:58 AM

Okay two more things...

The best invention ever are nursing tank tops. I have been LIVING in them since we came home from the hospital. I ended up buying some from Target (if your Target is like the Target's near me, you will need to do Target online). Wearing a bra and having a shirt over it is annoying at this stage of the game (lift shirt up, pull bra down, hope everything stays because I need to hold baby with one hand and hold boob with other hand). I was nervous about what size to get and ended up with a large. It is probably slightly small in the bust area (my newly infused milk boobs are a whooping 34G - ack), but fits everywhere else (preg preggo size was usually 8 or size M tees).

For sore nipples I have been loving Soothies (esp. chilled in the frig.). Even if you are doing everything right, you WILL have some soreness and some nipple irritation from the first few days of nursing (before your milk comes in the babe is suckling really hard for only a tiny pay off - it is a lot of work for the babe and your nipples). Soothies have been fabulous for promoting healing. One box seems pricey (I think DH paid $11 at CVS), but they are reusable. I've been using mine about 6 hours per day for at least the past 4 days and have no sign of noticable wear. Just make sure you don't put them on really leaky boobs.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Congratulations Plummom and welcome Sinead!

Thanks for the tips Emily! I'm amending my shopping lists now.

PiePie I read your thread in Nighttime Parenting - wow what a weird situation. Glad you were thinking quickly as always. Do you have both the Miracle Blanket and the Kiddopotamus Swaddleme? I'm wondering if the difference in price also affects function. Should I skip the Swaddleme?

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

: Congratulations plummum and welcome Sinead Summer! :

trizzle
I added you to the list.

Thanks Emily for all the advice. I was just given a hand-me-down My Brest Friend with the plastic snap, so I am set for that. Keep coming with all the advice new moms!
More good news is that I found a mom in my neighborhood who is going to give me all of her FuzziBunz cloth diapers. I love freebies!

I am doing okay at 18 weeks, but have a lot of round ligament pain. My next OB appointment is at the end of this month. I should find out the results of the triple screen and have the big U/S done. I am NOT finding out the gender though. I hope no one accidentally tells us!

We (my DH, me and our two canine kids) are going on a little vacation to Amish country here in PA. We rented a cottage near a covered bridge. I am counting the days! This might be our last getaway before birth. After finding out that childcare is going to cost us $800/month, we will have to start pinching pennies.

Oh, and I haven't felt any movement yet. I know it is normal, but I am getting impatient for that first flutter!

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
Old 09-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the shopping ideas, Emily! Keep them coming as they occur!

So I'm a little bit crampy today. This pisses me off, as it feels exactly like menstrual cramps and thus reminds me of menstruation. I'm pissed, specifically, because at some point I have to start menstruating again. And then I'll have to do it for 20 more years.

Hm, perhaps I have entered the late-pregnancy crabby phase.

A quick funny story about my mom. My mom has been one of those extremely pushy moms who is using the birth of her first grandchild as an excuse to act like we are closer than we really are -- insisting on being invited to my labor, threatening to camp outside my house in her car when I declined her insistant self-invitation to my labor, offering to buy a bassinet and a stroller for her house so that I could leave my child at her house for an overnight any time I wanted (since I'm SO likely to do that when my kid is small enough for a bassinet!), and just generally being a pain in the neck who doesn't respect my wishes.

She's really cooled off lately -- I don't know if my dad talked to her, or what. So anyway, I'm having a pleasant conversation with her yesterday. Let's call my mother-in-law Carol, because that's her name. So my mom on the phone yesterday says, when is Carol coming to visit, is that October or November? I SIGH with exasperation (that crabbiness again!) and say I don't know, no formal plans, I just know that they'll insist on visiting at some point after the birth. So then my mom says, I have just one request. And then she pauses a LONG, LONG time. I'm thinking she's going to try to make me call her when I go into labor or something else that I'm reluctant to do, and I'm trying to think how I'm going to wiggle out of the promise while not getting into an argument with my mom, when finally she pops out with it. "I just... I want to see the baby before Carol does." For some reason this totally cracks me up, and I say I'm sure that will happen. My parents are only a couple hours away; my in-laws are much further away; my parents can totally come up for a short visit and go home again even before I'm ready for "visitors" in a major sense. In the background my little brother tells my mom she's terrible. She says, "I know, but she (carol) already has a lot of grandchildren and this is my ONLY ONE!"

So I have finally been able to wholeheartedly accede to one of my mother's requests. She gets to see the baby before my mother in law does.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM

Congratulations plummum & welcome Sinead!

Another girl! I find that so exciting. I guess I really am hoping to have a girl.

And welcome to all the new people. I can't even seem to keep up!

Minnow: Your story is hilarious. It's like your Mum wants the first "Grandma imprint" on the baby so baby will think that she is Grandma #1 and the other one is just #2. And my major was English too which used to get a lot of eye rolls but nothing like what DH gets.

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
Do you have both the Miracle Blanket and the Kiddopotamus Swaddleme? I'm wondering if the difference in price also affects function. Should I skip the Swaddleme?
we have both and prefer the swaddleme (even though the velcro wears out after a month or so). we just could never get the miracle blanket tight enough. could be user error though.

i couldn't resist the urge to check in. So excited to see all the new babes - elizabeth, becky and plummum - hurray!!

so, it turns out a 7-8 hour car ride is really 9-10 with a baby and that is about 8.5 hours too long. Now that we are here in tahoe, I am really dreading the trip back tomorrow. poor little thing hates the carseat.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 PM

CJ thanks for the vote for the SwaddleMe. Sorry to hear your road trip was less than relaxing. I hope Ella cooperates for the ride home tomorrow.

Lane is it too early for me to have menstrual-type cramps too? Some mornings I wake up and think AF is here but then I remember my huge stomach. : If you're into hormonal birth control you could always use Seasonale - only 4 periods a year. I did that for a year or so and liked it, but I don't think I'm going back to hormones after experiencing how easy temping is and how hard it is to get pregnant.

Speaking of hormones, I'm just a hormonal preggo but your story about your mom almost brought tears to my eyes. Ok, ok, almost anything can make me teary even though I'm generally in a great mood. I just thought it was sweet that your mom totally backed off and began to respect your wishes regarding your birth and your child, but then she felt bad for asking for one thing that was really important to her. I think it is more special for her to see her first and only grandchild, especially her daughter's daughter, than it would be for your MIL. Of course I just snapped at my mom over a misunderstanding through email so I'm feeling a little guilty and sympathetic to our moms' positions. I have to talk to my mom this afternoon and tell her I don't want her there from day 1 and I'm sure she'll be crushed. I'm trying to put off the convo as long as possible.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 PM

never tried swaddleme.

i told my mother today i am ready for them to come visit!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:00 AM

Congratulations!!!!!

Just wanted to chime in and say that nursing while side lying is possible from day #1

They actually teach you how to do it in some pro-breastfeeding hospitals.

check out www.kellymom.com for more info!!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:06 AM

minnow - your story about your mom cracks me up because it reminds me of my mom!!! When I told my mom I was pregnant she threatened to move in!! You just have to laugh.

Thanks everybody for being so welcoming and curious about IVF! It was pretty intense but oh so worth it. If you are interested in more mdc mamas who have gone through it, browse the infertility threads. I did IVF with a group of mdc'ers in a thread called "Aug/Sept IVF" or something like that!?!?! There were 3 of us who went through it pretty much at the same time and we all got pregnant!!! Pretty good outcome . . . just goes to show how a good group of friends can really help.

P.S. My name is Sarah & I'm 34. I forgot to write that in my first post.

Mom to Elena 5/08 & George 8/09.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:55 PM

Congratulations Plummum!! And welcome Sinead!!!

So many girls, I hope there's one for me too!

I made it to 40 weeks! And still nothing... I'm not even getting those night pains anymore. I just wrote my birth plan, talk about waiting until the last moment!

Well I'm taking notes of the necessaries so thanks Emily and PiePie and CJ!

I'm a little unclear about swaddling. Do I need to make my baby into a burrito in order for her to sleep? How can I be a mother when I'm obviously oblivious??? Maybe it's better if baby stays put for a bit longer... although my belly is ridiculously huge, it's almost a joke except of course I have to manage it around so I'm not really laughing so much.

Oh and remember the drama relating to my belly button sticking out, now it's out all the time and it's no big deal. I guess you can get use to anything.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
Do I need to make my baby into a burrito in order for her to sleep?
mmmmm, burrito

Congrats on all the new babies, I couldn't even hope to get all the names right now...plus I should be working...how to work and get a burrito, yes that is the question.

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
Old 09-10-2007, 03:48 PM

hazieluna, lots of babies need to be swaddled to be soothed. check out karp's happiest baby on the block or sears' baby book for more info. the former has a whole chapter on it. i can't believe you haven't gone yet. you don't sound impatient at all!!

so dh is away on biz (just for the day, but he's got a double overnight in denver coming up ) and i've got a job interview tomorrow and i have to pump for it. i was going to say it will be the first time i am leaving her, but i am letting the doula take her for a walk around the block right now. i have to try on pre-pregnancy suits and figure out something to wear! i will come back here for moral support once i get demoralized.

please post your favorite soothing tips! those of you who saw my poll in life with a babe might have garnered that dd is getting a bit fussy, especially in the evenings.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Another great link I found on how to do side lying, or nursing in bed positions!!!

Yeah, with pics!!!

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm
Old 09-10-2007, 05:25 PM

Sarah thanks for the link, I bookmarked it for later.

Pie... good luck finding something to wear, and also on your interview!

Good news, just wanted to share... passed my GTT! Yay, no gestational diabetes, and I'm also not anemic. : I wasn't really that worried but I'm still feeling quite relieved. It's good to have that over with.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM

*peeks in....*

So much to catch up on!

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 PM

: Michelle! How's everything going?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Really good to see you over here Michelle
Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 PM

Well....http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t=CIMG6393.jpg !!!

That was from this morning, so I'm hoping it sticks!

Hi SarahJen and Grace!

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
Old 09-10-2007, 06:48 PM

Ohmygosh!!! Michelle! I'm so excited for you!!!! :

I checked your chart this morning, but you hadn't added the + test yet, so I made a mental note to come back....but I was too slow

-------------------

Wow, so many new babes last week!

Congrats to veganone, Becky and plummum!!!

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
Old 09-10-2007, 06:53 PM

: Yay Michelle it's great to have your back! Sticky vibes for you and FiberBaby!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:58 PM

Congrats to all of the new births! It seems to be a baby boom.

I’m not sure when mine is coming. My first due date was the 14, but I’m just getting tired of being pregnant. I’m ready though. My labor bag isn’t packed, but I figure packing it will help kill time before it’s time to actually leave for the hospital. I know what I want to take, and where it is, so that helps.

I just reached the point where I decided I was ready. Although I guess I wasted time today by not picking up some in what will eventually be the baby’s room. I’m as ready as what I’ll ever be for labor, too. I am going to try and go without drugs, as they just seem wrong to me. I pray I won’t need them, but if there are problems, I’ll take them. Labor and birth are natural experiences and if God didn’t think I couldn’t do it, I wouldn’t be doing it. It will definitely be the most Spiritual experience Andy and I will ever experience (except for any future births). I just don’t want drugs to effect the birth for me and the baby.

My next pre-natal appointment is on Wednesday morning, but I’m hoping I won’t make it until then. Last week, my doctor said I was 80% effaced and the baby was at negetive one. He didn’t give my dialation, but I’m betting it’s at least three. Nice. I hope this “early labor” stuff contines at home. I wonder if she’s dropped some more. She’s moving now and she feels lower. I told her already this afternoon that if she’s cramped in there, she’s welcome to come out.

I’m not worried about her size, though. She will come out the size she is supposed to be.

I’m sleepy, again. I don’t know why I’ve not done anything and I guess the coffee didn’t help, unless it was all decaf. I think I’m going take a nap. Maybe. I still have laundry to fold and put away and dishes to wash. There is a spouse group meeting tonight at a local coffee house. Spouse group is a group for the spouses of the students as we’re the only ones who truly know what we’re going through and we do stuff, too. Now I just hope and pray for one more day so I can get some more stuff done. Ha. I’ll waste another day.

Anyway, maybe I’ll take the time later to catch up more.

Happy day,
Laura
Old 09-10-2007, 08:54 PM

Woo hoo! Michelle! Welcome back! I'm SO excited for you!

Also, I don't think I've said this: CONGRATULATIONS, plummum!

Becky and Elizabeth, thinking of you and your babies.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
: Yay Michelle it's great to have your back! Sticky vibes for you and FiberBaby!
:
I am so happy for you Michelle. I already love Fiberbaby (yes, I AM drunk on oxytocin and other breastfeeding hormones).

As for swaddling...Benjamin doesn't NEED to be swaddled (he will sleep with just a blanket tucked around him) but he sleeps longer and better when he is a burrito baby. Usually I save the swaddling for night time when I am trying to get 4 hours of sleep in a row. As long as I get the miracle blanket tight enough (and I fill him up with breastmilk) we can make it for 4 hours. Blanket tucked around only buys me about 1-2 hours of sleep.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:19 PM

I love the name Fiberbaby.

How many usernames can we do that with?
GrooverBaby rocks. (Of course, so does MajorBaby...)

I think minnowbaby lacks a certain... awesomeness. But it perhaps has a certain descriptive appropriateness, as my baby minnow certainly seems small and "gregarious" (a trait of minnows, according to wikipedia). Maybe I should call her ~minion~? Le Minou? Or minnie. minnieminnow?

Emily: are those hormones as good as whiskey? Man, it's been a long time since I had any whiskey.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:29 PM

I love the name FiberBaby too! I'm going with it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and Emily, wow, you already have your babe, how wonderful!

Hugs to all, now, to go home and tell the other half!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:37 PM

I have to admit I stole the term FiberBaby from Kiya in the TTC thread. Guess I liked how it sounded too! Lane I think MinnowBaby sounds great - sounds small and easy to get out, unlike MajorBaby! Oh and I'm totally dying for a margarita. I'm considering taking premade mix to the hospital with me. : Not a huge whiskey fan, but I raise my near-beer to you and offer you cheers. To Monday night!

Emily thanks for the swaddling info. I'm trying to absorb all the info I can get from new moms.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:27 AM

Just a quick note with some Isabella photos. None of me because I look like hell in all of them!!!

We had a terrific appointment at the lactation clinic today - this little one is already back up to 5 lbs 10 oz!!! (Started at 5-13 - down to 5-5 on Friday). It means we can modify the triple feed stuff a tad to make life a bit more livable for all of us and hopefully at her follow up on Thursday she'll still be putting on weight.

We do have our first diaper rash - all those feedings made for a lot of pooping. Poor thing.

Today she's wearing her first acutal outfit (was in T-Shirts before because everything is too huge for her). It's a preemie "up to 5 lbs" gown and is huge, but works. She also finally has more than her two hospital hats, since grandma and grandpa brought her some preemie stuff.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z...otos/Isabella/

User Tag List