Pregnant with #1 in our 30s September - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rain, that is a relief. Your dream sounds wonderful. I'm glad to hear you found some helpful info online. I know exactly what you mean re the tarot cards.

Michelle, my queasiness is usually worst in the evenings (with morning a close second), although it hasn't really kept me up. I do have a lot of crazy dreams that wake me up at various times during the night though.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#182 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Michelle my nausea was AWFUL at night, if I wasn't in bed by 8:30 it was terrible. For me, nothing I ate helped and my aversions were so bad that anything with protein in it was a big NOPE. It didn't really start for me until I was about 7 or 8 weeks though and the nausea was pretty much gone by 14 weeks, after that it was just throwing up for the sake of throwing up I hope you find something that works for you
#183 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Man I'm confused about vaccines. Argh. A friend of mine has a friend who, years ago, escaped the immunization requirements by doing the vaccines homeopathically... but it turns out they really can't prove that's effective at all. So I'm back to not knowing what to do. Such a confusing issue.
I'm thinking the same thing. But, if I have to do the daycare route instead of bringing someone into my home, I pretty much have to do them.

Also, I have a friend who has done delayed vax and her son is now17 months and just had some vax and has had a bad skin reaction to them and was told that he will probably have the reaction every time he gets a vax or gets sick. I wonder if she wouldn't have delayed would it have been easier on his system? It all confuses me...
#184 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 02:27 PM

on saturday i went to 2 moms meetings. one was the applebees nurse-out, and where i met 20-something mamas, most but not all from mdc. then i went to a babywearers' meeting (it's called slings in the city) at a local slings store. met more of the same folks. i went to one ap meeting before dd was born, but have been too tired to go since. i also intend to go to a lll meeting. went to a library storyhour for little kids this morning. dd was by far the littlest one. i was disappointed that most of the "moms" were nannies and that most of the children were Caucasian (truly shocking in Harlem) with of course caregivers of color. so there were few other moms to talk to, although i did hit it off with the children's librarian.

so yesterday's interview went well, i think. they said the process would be slow because "you're not in any rush" -- a reference to the fact that i said i wouldn't be able to start till feb. it would involve limited travel, but a lot to my hometown, where my parents live! can we say grandmom babysitting?? i would be willing to go away overnight if babe could come with! dd stayed with dh at his office and didn't drink any of the breastmilk i had pumped. so more for next week, when i have another interview (different job, this one is sufficiently non-prestigious that i think i can insist on part-time or i'll just walk) and a day care interview where annoyingly they don't let you bring your kid! (other tours have had that policy but when i have said how young she is they have relented. in fact the other kids go gaga over a babe so small...)

speaking of small, she is getting downright chubby!! well, not quite, but i had mixed feelings when the doula noted yesterday that she has a double chin! on the one hand, i am unlikely to be urged to supplement -- isn't this proof that the BFing is "successful"? otoh, i have this fear of childhood obesity. both dh and i were underweight as kids, but here in harlem (well, america, really) you see ginormous children and it sorta freaks me out.

have pediatrican appointment tomorrow. dh is going away for 2 days for a hugely important board of directors meeting. it is usually in nyc but this time they decided to go for geographic diversity and have it in denver -- why now? i am a little scared of being on my own. i have been trying to line up friends to hang with me but have so far been blown off because of work commitments.

cking, my morning sickness was definitely related to stress. my midwife said that's common.
#185 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 02:38 PM

Ugh I don't know how to handle the vax issue either. This is my basic understanding of it: there's a small tentative link between a mercury preservative (thimerosal) and autism. Now, due to parent complaints, the mercury is either absent of present at much lower levels than before. In line with Rain's "tarot card" explanation of advice from Dr. Google, you can find all kinds of anti-vax stuff on the internet but not really anywhere else. I don't know what that says about the anti-vax movement, quite honestly.

Having studied immunology I understand the significant contributions that vax made in 20th century to prevent illness and death. To me, there's a big difference between being vaccinated against potentially deadly illnesses (tetanus, smallpox) and illnesses that are just bothersome (hepB, chicken pox, HPV). BUT I'm conflicted. I don't know enough about some of these diseases. I was talking with my advisor (a PhD in developmental bio) about it yesterday and she is all for all vaxes. She said she'd get her daughters vax'd against smallpox if she could and she's getting both of them the HPV vax too.

I wanted to interview pediatricians to see who supported the selective/delayed route but it seems there aren't enough docs so they don't devote any time to interviews. My OB (who I love) recommended a ped who is closest to my house and in-network, so I was super excited to interview her. When I called to schedule an interview they basically said "we don't do that" but said they would take BabyGroover as a new patient. So I'm happy we have a doc but unhappy that I don't know her policies. I asked the receptionist about vax policy and she said that some parents break up the shots (like the MMR) so there's only one vax per shot, but she didn't imply much more flexibility. I know I don't want the hepB shot at birth & I don't want to carry around anxiety about whether the ped will follow my wishes or not.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#186 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=PiePie;9155711]

speaking of small, she is getting downright chubby!! well, not quite, but i had mixed feelings when the doula noted yesterday that she has a double chin! on the one hand, i am unlikely to be urged to supplement -- isn't this proof that the BFing is "successful"? otoh, i have this fear of childhood obesity. both dh and i were underweight as kids, but here in harlem (well, america, really) you see ginormous children and it sorta freaks me out.

have pediatrican appointment tomorrow. dh is going away for 2 days for a hugely important board of directors meeting. it is usually in nyc but this time they decided to go for geographic diversity and have it in denver -- why now? i am a little scared of being on my own. i have been trying to line up friends to hang with me but have so far been blown off because of work commitments.

[QUOTE]

PiePie, I wouldn't worry about obesity. IME, all the big round pudgy babies I've ever know have grown into pretty slim adults. And what's weird is all the smaller ones seemed to be pudgier. Just my observation, but I wouldn't worry about her becoming obese due to healthy working breastmilk.

signature currently in transition
#187 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 03:10 PM

I haven't even begun to takle the vax issue yet, but I have heard good reviews about Aviva Jill Romm's vax book. I am loving her pregnancy book so far, so I'm planning to check out this one too.

Piepie, I agree with teenytoona. There is a huge difference between a chubby baby and childhood obesity. Especially when you are talking about EBFing. My neice was downright huge as a baby. But before her second birthday she thinned out. Now she's 13, tall and thin, and never had any weight issues.

#188 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 PM

Re Vacc's and Peds: We are fortunate in southern New Hampshire, at least where I live. Many of the pediatrician offices hold monthly "meet the dr" night's in their offices. It includes a welcome by a few of the nurses, a tour of the office (waiting area and a few rooms) and then at least one of the dr's from the office come out and talk about their philosophy and answer any questions. It's less personal than a standard meet and greet, but on the other hand, you also get questions from other parents. The ped we met with last night was great. He was excited when I said where I was birthing (not the hospital), told us NOT to get the hep B vaccine at birth unless the mother is a carrier. The office is pro-vax, but expects parents to make informed choices, especially on some of the new vaxes - Rotavirus and such. This office also has a lactation consultant on staff during all office hours and they seem to really support breastfeeding for minimum 6 months. We also leared about their antibiotic prescription philosophy, what they think of circumcision (only place we had any concern - one of the docs is slightly pro circ, the other 3 said it was a cosmetic choice), how they handle sick patients (if a child might be contagious, they are directed straight an exam room, no sitting in the waiting area). We've got another of these meet the ped sessions on Thursday with another group in the area, but at least we know we like this one!
#189 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 03:45 PM

Natalia I forgot to respond to your post. It does suck that you're online while we're sleeping. Stupid time changes! Anyway, I'm sorry your body doesn't think it's time for labor yet & that you're uncomfortable. All of a sudden it feels like my baby is all elbows and knees, so I can't imagine what it's like 7.5 weeks from now! Sending fast easy labor vibes your way!

I think the iron pills made me a little queasy until I got used to them too. It depends on what kind you take. I found iron glycinate with vitamin C and B vitamins in one pill is the best so far. I have to take 2 a day in addition to my prenatal vitamin! I know caffeine and whole wheat impede iron absorption and vitamin C helps it. I take one iron pill in the morning about 2 hours after breakfast (mini wheats and coffee), 1 when I get home in the evening, then take the prenatal before bed with juice and prunes. I've never heard of taking iron pills with Floradix though -that's hardcore! Do you like how it tastes? I'm hesitant to spend $ on it b/c everyone says it tastes awful. But they say that the glucose drink is disgusting too & I didn't think it was that bad. I'm also one of the few people on earth who actually like how pepto bismol tastes - I swear I could drink it on the rocks!

Sorry your DH gave you a hard time about the wine. That truly sucks and if he felt so strongly he should have told you in advance.

#190 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 04:39 PM

Wow! This is a nice active thread!

Thanks again for all the welcomes.

And for the confirmation of knowing it isn't just me feeling queasy at bedtime.

I'm still in the super nervous phase. I'm duly excited, and my hubby is too, but after the miscarriage, whoo. Seems like a long slow time before this pregnancy will feel "safe".

The bbs are sore. The queasiness is there. The uterus feels stretchy.

Today, I am pregnant, and it is good .

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#191 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

The month of September is almost half-way over!
Anyone want to volunteer for October?

Also, I will be away from my computer starting next Thursday (20th) until the following Monday. We are taking a much-needed vacation. We aren't going far, but we are renting a cottage and are going to just be generally lazy. Yay!

Michelle, I am so happy that you have joined us!

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
#192 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
the mercury is either absent of present at much lower levels than before.
in which is it present at all? i thought nothing but flu? possibly the new roto?
#193 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 PM

Well, I called my MW office to schedule tests/appts, and she'll call me back in a little while.

I think I want a couple of Beta tests, not-so-invasive, and reassuring.

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#194 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 07:52 PM

PiePie you're right, mercury is only in the flu shot according to the CDC. Sorry if what I said was misleading, I was just going off the top of my head. Glad the interview went well and you have more lined up, wow! Don't worry about your chubby baby - they're supposed to have baby fat! Be proud that you made her that way by sticking with the BFing.

Christina that book looks great - I'll check it out, thanks!

Jenn I wish the ped offices down here were like yours! Meet the docs sounds really cool and it's nice that you get to hear other parents' questions too.

Michelle a couple beta tests sound good to calm your worries. I POAS for about a month, but I realize that was excessive. It did calm me down though.

Emily how's BFing going? Still waiting on pics of Mr Benjamin!

Becky I hope you're healing well and bonding with Miss Maya. Please let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it.

Would it be drama-queeny of me to suggest that I had a contraction last night? Maybe it was one of those painful BH contrax that I heard about but never had. I was awakened by my lower back hurting while my uterus was hard, and it seemed to come from the back to the front. Is that normal?

Here's another silly question: does red raspberry leaf tea cause BH contrax? I used to drink it almost daily and had a lot of BH. I noticed that I rarely have BH anymore and I rarely drink the tea. Yesterday I had a cup of RRL tea, then I had that weird thing during the night. No one has ever fully explained what the tea does - "tone the uterus" is an unsatisfactory explanation.

I'll stop now.

#195 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 PM

I have a beta tomorrow and one on Sat. AM. I think this should help me out a bit. And if they look normal I don't think I'll go with early u/s, only if my midwife wants for some reason.

Ah. I love reading everyone else's answers about what its like later!

I have no idea about the contractions btw...

#196 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
Would it be drama-queeny of me to suggest that I had a contraction last night?

Here's another silly question: does red raspberry leaf tea cause BH contrax? I used to drink it almost daily and had a lot of BH.
No, not drama-queeny! You totally did.

In my anecdotal experience, yes. I had similar experiences where on days I drank a lot it seemed like I had lots of BH, whereas when I didn't drink much, not as much.

One of my midwifes loves the Romm book on vaccinations. I guess I need to buy it; the only library copy is in Spanish.

Hi to everyone. I'm following but kind of pooped and have to finish dinner. Love hearing from people just getting their BFPs! Reminds me about how this is all worth it.
#197 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 PM

Jenn... I want your pediatrician! Where do you live? Can I commute?

Dee... I'd heard they took the thermasil out of the vaxes, so that's good. I still don't get why hep B is so important to get suddenly... I understand that it's more devastating if someone gets it as a child, but it's pretty hard to get, and it makes me wonder if the sudden importance of the vaccine isn't because of the rich people behind it (Rockefeller foundation, etc.) I don't like it, I don't want to do it. My infant is not going to be having unprotected sex or doing iv drugs. I looked up all the ones that he HAS to have legally or I"ll be thrown in jail, and we'll do those and I think I'll try to find a way around the hep B. (I don't think DH is happy about that... he's all for delayed vax but not for leaving any out... ) Am I being irrational? For some reason the Hep B vax really sets me on edge.
Freaky about your friend who wants her kids vaxed against smallpox... that's notorious for causing more than just bad reactions immune deficiency syndromes and even death can result. Yikes. I'd NEVER get that one.

I think I'll go look up that book now. I'm freaking myself out.

And now that you mention in, I've had less BH since my 2 weeks off of RRL capsules. I just started taking them again (once I was satisfied it wasn't causing a rash) so we'll see if they start up again. Weird about the contraction. Did it hurt really bad?

I joined the community rec center and went swimming today. Aaaaahhhhhhh. Oh, and my ID picture is hilarious. Man, I'm one pregnant lady. DH said he was going to get me a shirt that says "Got Rack?" My bb's are HUGE! It's silly. I hope I can retake the picture after the baby when I look normal again.
#198 of 410 Old 09-12-2007, 11:29 PM

Michelle... meant to say... good luck on your beta test. It'll be good to get reassurance. I didn't do the early u/s either... they said it was for dating purposes... but I figure when baby's old enough he'll come on out. Why go through the u/s, especially when it's a vaginal u/s. Pretty invasive, I didn't want to do it if I didn't have to. But we did the 20 week... I just did what I needed to, to feel secure in my pregnancy. So whatever helps you relax a bit is good... I hope the beta test can do that. Glad you're still feeling preggo... as miserable as it is to be nauseous, there was a comfort in it too. Good luck tomorrow!
#199 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 AM

julia, don't think you look normal post-pregnancy -- the boobs just get BIGGER!! can't wear any of my suit jackets.
#200 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 01:28 AM

The women where I work continue to comment on the size of my chest---constantly. I've been thin since I worked there but had some boobs, but I guess the sudden increase is just big news. I actually had a woman I barely know come up to me today and hold her hands right in front of my breast and say "your BUST is HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEEE!"
What are you supposed to say to that? I find it really inappropriate, but I can never muster up the courage to say something pithy or contrary.
#201 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 01:40 AM

Well, I'm off to Ireland for 3 weeks starting tomorrow. I imagine I am going to miss a ton of stuff - including births - on this thread while I am gone since it is so active. I hope you all have a great three weeks - can't wait to catch up on all the new arrivals when I get back.

Bye!

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

#202 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 08:15 AM

Hi everyone,

My water broke this morning around 5am. I'm having mild contractions but nothing too serious. Mostly feels like I'm getting my period.

My midwife told me that if my labor doesn't start up within the next 24 hours I have to go to the hospital... I dread the hospital.

So I will let you know soon if anything happens for now I'm just bored trying to decide if I should go to the supermarket to get some supplies - I guess the hoarding instinct is intact!
#203 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 09:14 AM

Good luck Natalia, I can't wait to hear your news later!
#204 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 AM

How exciting!!! Sending some Easy labor vibes your way! Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
Hi everyone,

My water broke this morning around 5am. I'm having mild contractions but nothing too serious. Mostly feels like I'm getting my period.

My midwife told me that if my labor doesn't start up within the next 24 hours I have to go to the hospital... I dread the hospital.

So I will let you know soon if anything happens for now I'm just bored trying to decide if I should go to the supermarket to get some supplies - I guess the hoarding instinct is intact!
#205 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 AM

Yay Natalia finally your baby is coming!

~~~~Easy labor vibes for you!~~~~

#206 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 AM

Yay, Natalia, good luck!

Pie... when, when will my boobs be normal again? :

Trizzle... I know, isn't it annoying... like we're not self-conscious enough... unfortunately, get used to it (or get a good supply of one-liners for comebacks). Pregnancy seems to be all about a loss of personal boundaries... from being poked and prodded at the doctor's constantly, to friends and family telling you how you should do everything, to them commenting on your body all the time. There have been countless threads about that in my DDC!

Going to the chiropractor this morning. YAY!!

Julia
#207 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 10:44 AM

Melanie, have a great time! And a safe trip!
#208 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 10:57 AM

OMG-- Good luck, Natalia! Here's hoping for a comfortable, easy home birth. I'll be checking for news. Sure, why not go to the supermarket?

OMG, I guess I'm someone who could have a baby when you get back, Melanie! Have a great trip. Take pictures.
#209 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck Natalia!

Have fun on your trip Melanie. Sounds great.

Yay for the chiropractor visit Julia! I am going for my first visit tomorrow. The back pain hasn't gone away.

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
#210 of 410 Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 AM

Natalia! Peaceful labor vibes to you!

Melanie, have a great trip!

Ok, since we’re on the subject of boobs – can I ask you all – when do they change the most? (during pregnancy, not post-partum). Mine popped up about a cup size or so, but I’m wondering how much they’ll keep changing. Do you just have to keep getting new bras every month or so?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page