Herpes and Pregnancy Specifically Giving Birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2007, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had herpes for a while now... Haven't had an outbreak in years. My CNM says that I will *have* to start on an antiviral in the ~36th week. Now, I've done some research, and found that a routine of nice garlic pills will do just the same effect of suppression as the antivirals without the costs and side effects. I don't want to go on the antiviral, but really I'd like to hear from others who've been there who may not have taken the antiviral, but an alternate form, and how they fared. I'm thinking that since I've not had an outbreak in so long (and from the research I've done, once the outbreaks get to be few and far between, they are less likely to occur during childbirth) I should be in the safer zone, so I'm thinking garlic would certainly work... But I want to see if anyone else has any experience before I settle with that.

thanks everyone

signature currently in transition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 12:08 PM

I'm in the same boat. I tested postive for it, although I've never had a "below" breakout and never been on meds for it. I only get the cold sores on my lips, and usually only when i'm sick or stressed (maybe 2x a year!). OB told me they will put me on Valtrex in the last month to ensure no "below" breakouts before birth. If stress and sickness is a trigger for me, who knows that full term pain and pressure couldn't be as well. I will probably agree to take the meds because a blind child or a C could be a lot worse. s
Old 09-03-2007, 01:28 PM

I've been on suppressive valtrex since 36 weeks without any problems. I didn't even realize there were alternatives. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:39 PM

I was diagnosed less than a year ago (maybe 9 months or so) and have had one outbrake since the initial one. I do plan on starting the suppressive valtrex at 36 weeks. Since I really don't know what my pattern or triggers are yet, I would rather just be safe.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
Old 09-03-2007, 04:43 PM

i've had herpes for a good 4 years or so.. and agreed to take the valtrex starting at 36 weeks, altho i only have an outbreak every 6 months or so IF that.

i didn't even think of there being some kind of alernative, so.. good luck with that. sorry i'm not any help.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:51 PM

I have 2 friends who have it. One has 3 kids, the pother 2, no c-sections. No meds afaik, either. If either had had an outbreak at the time of birth, they'd have had to have a c-section of course.

I don't know if I have it, so my dr. just chekced to be sure I wans't having an outbreak once I was in labour. That was it. No tests or anything.

I've never herad of anyone irl getting a test for herpes except during an outbreak, and even then it's not accurate unless it is timed just right.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 AM

With my first child, I took prophylactic acyclovir from 36 weeks on based on the advice of my homebirth midwife. No problem with outbreaks at birth.

This time around (pregnant with second child) I am using a different midwife who treats 'below' herpes (both types I & II if they occur near birth canal) this way:

Propolis prophylactically (general anti-viral)
Tea tree oil wash if suspected outbreak
Clear nail polish on any open lesion during labor - keeps it sealed and can prevent baby contact

What I have learned about herpes is that the greatest risk comes from an initial pregnancy outbreak. The risk to baby lessens if it is a repeat outbreak at birth. Some practitioners do recommend cesarean birth if outbreak is suspected since their is a chance baby can contract the virus during birthing.

Treating this is a very personal call. My current midwife seems to think that applying a barrier (nail polish) is often sufficient at protecting the baby.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:58 PM

It seems to me that clear nail polish might crack as the skin stretches. But a little sauteed garlic and onions might do the trick. Extra points if you carmelize them.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 PM

I have herpes and haven't had an outbreak in years, either. My midwife has me on Lysine supplements as a preventative.

My dr brought up the valtrex, and our compromise is: he'll write the prescription, I'll fill it (if the copay isn't much), but I'll only take it if I feel like there's some indication that an outbreak is imminent. Like, if I get a cold, the chances go up, and then it'll be worth preventative antivirals. It'll be up to me when and whether to take them.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:22 PM

*bump*

I too am concerned about this. I am 10 weeks pregnant and having a mild outbreak, I have had herpes since I was about 16, I am 20 now and the thing that seems to offset it is STRESS, COFFEE, SUGAR etc. I have some lysine I just want to be sure it is ok to take during pregnancy.

hola.gif
Old 09-23-2007, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! I've had it for 10 years, but only have an outbreak once a year or so, and none since pregnancy (probably becuase the outbreaks would usually come after sex...).

I decided not to tell my OB about it at all, b/c I didn't want the C section threat.

But is it true they can test you for it...? I'm 6 months and they haven't 'found out' yet!

Based on the great ideas in this thread I think I'll start Lysine the last month or two (?), and keep not having sex the last month, AND maybe keep some clear nail polish in my hospital bag? Any other outbreak prevention tips that aren't from drugs?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2007, 06:12 PM

I have not told any one yet not my doctor not my partner (I know taht's bad) but if you are not having an outbreak at the time you get tested there is a great chance they will not detect it, I have had numerous amounts of blood work done and they have not detected it, the only reason I found out was because I wen to the doctor when I was having an outbreak. Also try red marine algae. pm me for more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
Hi! I've had it for 10 years, but only have an outbreak once a year or so, and none since pregnancy (probably becuase the outbreaks would usually come after sex...).

I decided not to tell my OB about it at all, b/c I didn't want the C section threat.

But is it true they can test you for it...? I'm 6 months and they haven't 'found out' yet!

Based on the great ideas in this thread I think I'll start Lysine the last month or two (?), and keep not having sex the last month, AND maybe keep some clear nail polish in my hospital bag? Any other outbreak prevention tips that aren't from drugs?

Thanks!

hola.gif
Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Garlic and L-Lysine. L-lysine is the thing that will actually suppress it while garlic is mainly for your immune system to help keep it at bay. This will be my 6th birth coming up and it has never been an issue. They were all born naturally. I would go the natural route if I were you.

I just saw about the clear nail polish and would really not suggest that cause I would think it could crack or not dry properly to form a good seal. But, how about surgical grade super glue? It is fairly inexpensive and this was always my plan if I did need to use something.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:13 PM

hi there

i've had herpes for about 2-3 years now, but haven't had an outbreak since just after i first got it. i didn't have one during my pregnancy at all, but decided to take L-Lysine capsules during the last few weeks just to be safe. don't know if it was necessary or not, but worrying about having an outbreak might have been enough to bring one on! who knows...but having a C-section was my worst fear. luckily i never even had to go to a hospital b/c they freak out about vaginal deliveries for herpes+ women a little too much (even if an outbreak isn't happening...."but it COULD" they say...).

i say go for milder alternatives to pharmies. they often work just as well (garlic, l-lysine).

~good luck~

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 PM

duh, sorry.

just noticed that this is an old thread. oops!

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
Old 07-02-2014, 11:08 AM

Herpes can be cured with natural treatment

With antiviral you can eliminate the outbreak, but not the virus. To remove the virus must dissolve the protective layer of protein and prevent their reproduction.
The program provides the Final Protocol of Herpes includes the last two stages mentioned above. There are very good references about it. The author contracted herpes and cured.
To download the book, visit:
http://www.cureforherpes.meximas.com

User Tag List