OK, cool. Peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 97 Old 09-17-2007, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Def NOT!

And I am laughing at the post claiming that they thought this place was openminded![/QUOTE]

Jennie: Working mother to 3 and loving wife to my hubby for over 12 years
Emily 10 Taylor 8 Logan 6
#93 of 97 Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissakc View Post
I want to say this gently....

But doesn't an addiction to smoking begin with a choice to smoke? It's not like a disease you are born with and have no say about.
yes but when you're 16 and have no clue and not a care in the world, it's easy to bum a smoke from a friend and then you start getting addicted, I remember when I was 16 and smoked my first cig. A few weeks later my best friend died and I bought a pack (I knew the mom and pop store didn't card) and I started smoking 2 cigs a day, then 3, then 4, then 5, then when I started having intense cravings for nicotine in the middle of class I realized what an ugly beast addiction is. Thank God I had the awareness to just give it up then, because I realized it was no longer something I was choosing to do but something I felt a physical hunger for. It scared me. I've drank, smoked weed, and I've never felt the hunger like I did for nicotine.

I'm not a smoker, but I can empathize with how hard it can be to quit especially if you are going through a stressful or emotionally vulnerable time in your life.

I don't think it does anyone any good to get up on a high horse, there is physical addiction and there is psychological addiction. I have no idea what another mama is going through in her life or her mind. That's why in the situation with my friend who is pregnant, I just try to offer support. If she only smokes half a cig I tell her I'm glad she's trying. I don't think shame does anyone any good.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#94 of 97 Old 09-17-2007, 09:04 PM

I apologize to anyone who was offended by my question. I did not intend to be confrontational--I am only trying to understand. Sometimes it's hard to express my intended tone online.
#95 of 97 Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 PM

I apologize if anyone felt that I was trying to shame someone. I wasn't. I do stand by my opinion that it is a selfish thing to do and it's a fact that it can and will harm an unborn baby. There is no getting around that. I don't think stating facts is the same as judging or shaming. I'm not up on a high horse. I know it's hard and I will support anyone who is trying to quit.

No one can blame me for getting upset with the mother who doesn't care that the smoking is harming her baby, or the mother who shrugs and says "I know it's bad for the baby but I'm addicted so I can't quit"

I have deep respect for the mother who fights each and every urge and craving, trying every minute of every day to stop so that her baby is healthy. If you bust your behind trying to quit and can't, I mean really really trying hard then I won't fault you.

I firmly believe that smoking, drinking, taking drugs and otherwise abusing your body when pregnant is child abuse. Doing these things can cause lifelong damage to a child. The baby is innocent and cannot fight the cravings or choose not to smoke.

I say, if you smoke and know you can't quit, use some good birth control until you can provide a healthy environment for a baby.
#96 of 97 Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathywiehl View Post

I say, if you smoke and know you can't quit, use some good birth control until you can provide a healthy environment for a baby.
Ohh.... thats starting down a slippery slope right there......

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#97 of 97 Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathywiehl View Post
I actually agree with this... and if the pregnancy is unplanned...they should really try HARD to quit.

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page