Prenatal Vitamins - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 03-05-2002, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howdy to all!
I found out recently that I'm pregnant and wanted to take vitamins just to be reassured that I am getting everything that I need. I would like to know what brand anyone out there recommends? I'm not sure if they are all pretty much the same, so I thought I'd try and find out what other mommies-to-be have taken!
So what brand is the latest recommendation out there?

Also, did any of you take any sort of DHA supplements as well?

Thanks for your help!
#2 of 51 Old 03-06-2002, 12:37 AM

Myethpio~Taking a high quality prenatal vitamin was one of the top priorities for me. I did a lot of research and found the "Rainbow Light" brand to be highly regarded. I know I can't say how much it effected my pregnancy, but my pregnancy was wonderful~and my ds is healthy, and has been a straight "A" student...he's in 6th grade now. I can't help but think it had to have contributed some.
Best to you though in all the choices you make during this very special time!
sassysu3
#3 of 51 Old 03-06-2002, 10:28 AM

I too am using Rainbow Light. I try to choose a prenatal with lots of good ingrediants for the entire body and not a lot of artificial colors etc. Rainbow Light is a food based prenatal.
I did a web search through google using rainbow light prenatals which hooked me up with lots of web vitamin shops and found the best deals online.
#4 of 51 Old 03-06-2002, 11:21 AM

Another vote here for Rainbow Light prenatal. My doctor who is also a nutritionist said they were good. I get mine at Wild Oats.
#5 of 51 Old 03-06-2002, 12:26 PM

I use Stuart's PreNatals....I am still taking them while nursing my almost 4 year old. I found that the prenatals I tried from Wild Oats either made me nauseous or I had to take 8 in a day.....

Just my two cents....
#6 of 51 Old 03-06-2002, 01:32 PM

BTW, Rainbow Light makes a prenatal that you only take one pill a day. It's called JustOnce prenatal multivitamin.
#7 of 51 Old 03-06-2002, 01:41 PM

Ditto for Rainbow Light! I've been taking the JustOnce, as we are hoping to get pregnant this spring. I noticed it also includes raspberry leaf.
#8 of 51 Old 03-06-2002, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for you recommendations, I will definitely try those. The last ones I used were just any 'ole brand so I thought I'd try something more on the natural side...

Did you all just take that? Or did you also take a calcium as well? I think with my last pregnancy I took a prenatal a.m. and a calcium p.m....

I'm still not sure if I should go for the DHA... I read some article about Neuromins DHA-PL that had me thinking... any thought...?
#9 of 51 Old 03-07-2002, 01:24 AM

I used SOLGAR Prenatal Nutrients (Multivitamin & Mineral) I also used SOLGAR Gentle Iron.
#10 of 51 Old 03-07-2002, 01:26 AM

P.S. In response to the Neuromins (I currently take them now, post pregnancy, as I do not have a diet rich in any type of organ meats) However, I was very concerned about my babies getting enough of the omega fatty acids through my diet, so I used Flax Seed Oil on a daily basis. (In my applesauce or as an addition to my salads.)
#11 of 51 Old 03-07-2002, 09:10 AM

Before getting pregnant my reg. ole dialy vites I took 3 day. When I spoke to the gal at the hfs she said to me with the amount of ingrediants in the vitamins to only take 1 they would be too big to swallow <g> So I don't mind taking 2 with every meal because it's all good stuff kwim? I've the Rainbow lights that you take 6 a day.
#12 of 51 Old 03-07-2002, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well I ordered the one-dose prenatals... they didn't carry it at WholeFoods, they only had the 6 doses one. Six seems like a lot at once so unless I were to spread them out or try one of the other brands...
I'll try the one-dose ones and see how it goes. I'm still debating the DHA, but I think I'll go get some, after all it can only help. I don't think I am getting enough DHA in my diet.
Flax seed oil, huh? Interesting, I'll look into that as well...

Thanks again everyone!
#13 of 51 Old 03-07-2002, 02:56 PM

I tried practically every prenatal under the sun--the only one that didn't make me sick was the standard prescription chewable prenatal (natachew or something like that)
#14 of 51 Old 03-07-2002, 04:07 PM

I take a prenatal called Opti-natal by Eclectic Institute.
I took them when pregnant with my dd and was happy with the result
#15 of 51 Old 03-07-2002, 08:01 PM

Another vote for Rainbow Light brand prenatals!

I have taken them for almost four years now.

During the last year, I switched to the Just Once variety, but when actively ttc again, will switch back to the 6 a day as they have additional beneficial herbs in them that the Just Once do not contain.

My iron levels were awesome all throughout my first pg and dd's too through my milk.

As for DHA, doesn't flax oil offer that? Mix it up in a smoothie and you'll never know you had it!
#16 of 51 Old 03-07-2002, 11:11 PM

Little information I received from our local herbal path.

There are two famalies of Essential Fatty Acids. This first is the Omega-3 family in the form of Fish Oils (containing EPA & DHA) and Flax Oils (containing Alpha Linolenic Acid, or ALA) The second is the Omega-6 family of Essential Fatty Acids. These EFA's are found in Borage Oil & Evening Primrose Oil, Black Currant Oil.

Hope this helps!
#17 of 51 Old 03-07-2002, 11:15 PM

could someone explain why omega-3s, etc. are important for pregnancy? thanks!
#18 of 51 Old 03-08-2002, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the site where I read up on DHA and pregnancy/infants:

http://www.dhadoc.com/facts.html

It should have a lot of general answers to questions.
#19 of 51 Old 03-12-2002, 04:33 PM

I use Baby and Me from Megafoods. I get it at Wild Oats. I've tried several and this is the one I like the most. One of the benefits is that, because it's made from 100% foodstate it can be taken w/ food or on an empty stomach. I think Rainbow Light may be the same, but I'm not sure.
I'm anemic, though and am taking an iron supplement but haven't been able to find any iron gluconate in foodstate. Anyone know of any?
#20 of 51 Old 03-17-2002, 10:33 PM

hey Rebekah--check out these sites~http://www.oilofpisces.com/pregnancy.html http://www.ahealthyme.com/article/bellhowell/101741007

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#21 of 51 Old 03-17-2002, 11:54 PM

I used Wampole (not even sure if thats a Brand in the states). They were the cheapest of all that was on the market and the pharamacist went thru them with me to make sure that they had the same minerals and vitamins and amounts as the more expensive brands. The way I look at it, why pay double for just a pretty name on a bottle? Plus, I eat a healthy diet, filled with all the food groups, everyday, drink plenty of milk and get plenty of rest. The multi's are really just a little something extra and all my levels of everything are still good, so I must be doing something right.
#22 of 51 Old 03-18-2002, 02:01 AM

i used superfoods brand which i was told was the best since they are from food sources (similar to rainbow light i think) I really liked them and felt intuitively taht they were powerful vitamins....natural, and rich. I think that is one of the biggest differences between generic brands and the higher priced health food ones....the life that is in them. they also had rasberry leaves, alfalfa, other superfoods in them too.
#23 of 51 Old 04-03-2002, 12:23 PM

I got Rainbow Light after researching it but was curious about everyone else. I like that it is 6 pills so that if I ate perfectly that day, I don't have to take them all. But when we are on the road, I can take them all since it is hard to eat great when you are traveling.

I just got concerned because at the health food store yesterday, I noticed that one prenatal had 165% recommended vit A. Too much vit A can cause you to miscarry, so I thought that was pretty reckless.
#24 of 51 Old 04-03-2002, 12:53 PM

I think it depends on the type of vitamin A. My understanding is that Vitamin A palmitate should be limited, but Vitamin A from beta-carotene is ok. Wish I could remember where I read that. Anyway, I showed my family doctor/nutritionist my rainbow light prenatals and he said the vitamin A levels were fine.
#25 of 51 Old 04-03-2002, 12:56 PM

My midwives told me not to take any,just eat healthy.But I've heard MAJOR bad things about materna,so there's one NOT to take.(Both my midwives and naturopath said there iron levels are at a toxic level-that's why so many women feel sick after taking them).
#26 of 51 Old 04-03-2002, 12:57 PM

I'm not pregnant yet but we're planning to start trying for #2 in July, so I want to start taking prenatals soon. Last pregnancy I used Solgar, which I liked, but Rainbow Light sounds even better to me because it's totally food-based and has green foods in it, which are great for pregnancy. I did some surfing on the net last night and found a bunch of sites that sell vitamins and supplements at a great discount. I also found out that rainbow light has a prenatal called prenatal one--just one vitamin a day gives you everything you need. They sold for around $20 on most sites, compared to around $36 retail. Even with shipping it's a great price--I'm gonna order
a full-pregnancy supply all at once because I think the shipping is the same for up to a certain weight.

regarding the vitamin A--it depends on what type it is. Beta Carotene is fine in larger amounts. I think it's Retinol or some other type that is not safe beyond a certain amount.
#27 of 51 Old 04-03-2002, 01:09 PM

I know they say that beta carotene is okay, but I have also read a study of women who eat over a pound of carrots a day and found they stop ovulating. Makes me nervous.

Saige, I am with you on the diet. I was just worried when we travel and have less control over my diet (I know too much about how important it is to get all the right nutrients). I also read that it is useful if you are having morning sickness which is usually triggered by the very vegetables that you need to eat.
#28 of 51 Old 04-03-2002, 09:08 PM

My midwives too reccommended that I not take the prenatal. This was after reviewing my diet, which is pretty healthy. But I can understand the concern of being on the road. We just got back from vacation and I know I didn't eat well while we were out. If I would have had my multi vitamin with me, I would have taken it. Especially if I were pregnant.
#29 of 51 Old 04-03-2002, 11:06 PM

I'm not pregnant yet but trying to get that way. I take a chewable children's vitamin (Rugrats ) and a separate folic acid supplement. I get the full 400 mg of folic acid in the multivitamin, so I don't take the supplement every single day.

I don't like the fact that children's vitamins now have artificial sweeteners. I'm pretty sure they used to have regular sugar in them when I was young.
#30 of 51 Old 04-05-2002, 01:54 AM
Zoe

For the girl whose midwive said not to take prenate vits. . . I would really reconsider, and do research. My friend followed that advice, and her dd was born with many health problems, that it really makes you think. It wouldn't hurt to give your baby a little extra.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page