oral vitamin k dosage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have decided that when our baby is born, we will give our baby oral vitamin K, and I've been trying to figure out the best dosage schedule. It looks like the standard is 2 mg at 3 different intervals, but I've also read that much smaller amounts daily may be more effective. However, it sounds like the only oral vitamin K available in the U.S. uses a dropper with a dosage of 2 mg per drop. (Available from birthwithlove.com)

Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2007, 04:00 PM

I am trying to figure this out too, so I'll be watching for responses.

I am going to have a local pharmacist make it for me, so that is one way to get whatever dosage and concentration you need (which I still can't figure out). The only downside to doing it that way is possibly cost, since insurance will not pay for it.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 AM

I'm also curious. I ordered it and would like to be sure about how to do it.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:59 AM

swl73, where did you read 2mg in three intervals?

I have read that some birth centers administer the injection orally, and that is 50mg. I have also read that the best schedule is one day, one week, three weeks, but I haven't read what amount that would be. I've never seen any mention of 2mg.

Thanks for whatever info you can share.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:04 PM

subbing
Old 09-17-2007, 03:17 PM

Here is what I found on Birth with Love...

Vitamin K Protocols
1 drop at birth, 1 drop at 1 week and 1 month
From Nursing Times, October 14, 1998: Researchers have found that plasma vitamin K concentrations were at least equal to or significantly higher in babies who are given the new oral form compared to those who are given the vitamin via injection. The oral form is given in doses of 2 mg soon after birth and again four to seven days later. It has been recommended that if the baby is being breastfed, an additional dose be given when it is one month old. I have mom take oral Vit. K for two weeks prior to EDD. I find this helps bleeding pp as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:42 PM

Thank you! The formatting on that website makes me dizzy so I'm not surprised I missed it.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply - I thought I was getting e-mail notification when a new message posted but I guess I wasn't.

Anyway, I have read the "2 mg in 3 intervals" in tons of sites as I was looking through research articles. It looks like most of the research done has been with this dosage.

We have a physician we consult with who is a researcher and expert on nutrition and pregnancy, and I asked him about the oral vit k dosage. here was his response:

"I would suggest what the New Zealand Society of Pediatrics recommends:

'If parents do not agree to an intramuscular injection, the alternative is for the infant to receive phytomenadione (vitamin K1), 2mg orally at birth. These infants should then receive a repeat oral dose (2mg) at 3-5 days and at 4-6 weeks of age. If the infant vomits or regurgitates within 1 hour of an oral dose, this dose should be repeated.' "

I have an appointment with my midwife on Monday and I'm going to ask if they can/do administer the vit k at the birth center.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Old 09-22-2007, 04:52 PM

Thank you so much!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:09 PM

Interesting!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:33 PM

i'm interested in researching this further.

dd was given an oral dose of vit k at birth by our midwife - only one - and i recall that it was a tincture.

when i asked our new midwife about this she said that even with the excessive pp bleeding i experienced last time that she only recommends lots of nettle and alfalfa tea in the third trimester to make sure mama has enough vit k. if my supply is sufficient, why would i need to give the baby more?

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 09-23-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm certainly no expert (!) but from what I have been reading, a lot of research suggests that the mother's supply may not transfer to the baby well. Sounds like it only leads to serious problems (brain hemorrhaging) very rarely, but that the problems are pretty serious at that point.

Like just about everything we've been researching related to having a healthy pregnancy/birth/baby, there seems to be a strong lack of consensus on the research and what it means!
Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where do I get oral vitamin K for either me or the baby?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay, Wildflower...you can get the oral vitamin K through a website: birthwithlove.com.

BUT: the issue we are having is that no one has a clear answer on who should administer it and how. I asked the midwife who sells the vitamin K through birthwithlove, and she declined to give me an answer, telling me to ask my healthcare professional. I asked the midwives, they said my pediatrician can do it. I asked my pediatrician, and she said the midwives can do it. Ugh!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:27 PM

My mw told me to put a drop on my finger and stick it in ds mouth once a week.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

So, iamama, it didn't have to be prepared into a solution? Were you using the 2 mg drops made by Scientific Botanicals?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:19 PM

The solution was premixed. I had to purchase the drop right before my edd so they would be fresh...I don't know what brand they were. I was suprised how little I had to give him and it was very easy. It has been over 2 years now and I can't remember the amount in ml. Okay I got out my old paper work it says 2 mg at birth (one drop) and 1/2 a drop 1x per week. So i put the drop in my hand dab my finger and into babes mouth till 6 months. That is from my mw paper work...
Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Iamama...
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamama View Post
... So i put the drop in my hand dab my finger and into babes mouth till 6 months. ...
6 months? I think this is the first I've read/heard of vit k past 2 weeks or so. Did your care provider say why? Just curious.

I am still on the fence about this. I think the injection is too much, but no one seems to agree on an oral dosage!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:12 AM

my midwife said the most recent research she has red suggests one drop once a week for ten weeks. i don't know what research she rad though and i should ask her before my baby is born. she also said that if the baby doesn't have any bruising or anything at birth they wait about a week before giving the first dose.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

User Tag List