What are the don'ts of pregnancy? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand your point---but please look at the implications of what you said--it sounds rather judgmental. I am sure it was a casual remark but still--it stings.

I am a good parent and I take care of myself in pregnancy--and in life. However, there is a rational point where you have to draw the line--with any thing you are told to avoid. The verboten list doesn't take into account (for the most part) amounts, quality and situational circumstances. Is it raw milk cheese? Is it supermarket sushi? Is the deli meat fresh from the oven?

I am not going to give up coffee for apples. Plain and simple--especially when I have been told by the medical profession that a little coffee is allowed. We have to use common sense and trust that other good mothers are doing the same. There are limits. I'm not sitting here with a coffee pot hooked up to an IV. So many establishments try to take away our ability to use rational thinking. Are you going to bow to that convention and give up your power that easily?
#62 of 66 Old 10-12-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmoro311 View Post
I really could had used any example. But my point was how do you know that what you consumed during pregnancy did not effect your child.
You don't. No one ever does. Perhaps you're living too close to power lines. Perhaps you're exposed to things in the air. There's no way to know.

"Damage" could not show up for a generation or longer. It's not fair to attack moms for their coffee though.

-Angela
#63 of 66 Old 10-12-2007, 06:15 PM

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#64 of 66 Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 PM

boy o boy coffee is a touchy subject! I love coffee just as much as the next person. I love it more for the flavor I think, I'll drink decaf, eat coffee ice cream, coffee flavored candy, etc. Drink as much as you want, all I am saying is I'm tired of hearing its ok to do something in moderation, my kid turned out just fine! I think it gives moms false hope! Every pregnancy is different and just cause your kid is OK doesn't mean mine or the next persons will be! Can't tell you how many times I've heard people say I had a c-section and my child is Ok, but then complains of them having ashma and ear infections.
#65 of 66 Old 10-17-2007, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorry, I admittedly didn't read the other replies. No sitting in hot tubs.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#66 of 66 Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Vegan sushi is OK, right? Like with pickled daikons? I just love the wasabi.
The whole cat thing, well I do get dh to change the catbox (although sometimes I get impatient and just do it myself). The idea of washing my hands after each time I pet the cat, though, isn't likely to happen. Plus, especially since getting pregnant, my silly cat can't stop rubbing all over me. She jumps up on the table whenever I'm at home working on the computer and rubs all over my arms. I heard, though, that more often than not, people who get sick from cat feces get sick from gardening. I guess a lot of outdoor cats use people's gardens as a catbox. So, I don't think I have to worry about the two indoor cats that have been with me for years.
I'm not a meat eater so I don't have to worry about that stuff, and I finally gave up diet coke...but I do miss a glass of wine with dinner. That will be the first thing on my list after the new one gets here!

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page