What are the don'ts of pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 09-23-2007, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been pg before but I am trying to remember what are no nos of pregnancy. Not obvious ones but things like sushi, soft cheese (what soft cheese?) deli meats? What else?
#2 of 66 Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcino View Post
I have been pg before but I am trying to remember what are no nos of pregnancy. Not obvious ones but things like sushi, soft cheese (what soft cheese?) deli meats? What else?
Deli meats and soft cheese? Why can't you have those? I am 10 weeks preg with my first so any advice is helpful

hola.gif
#3 of 66 Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 PM

With deli meats and soft cheeses (brie, queso, feta...), there is a risk of Listeria. Not a big deal for a healthy adult...big deal for a fetus. Some people say heated (til steaming) deli meats and pasteurized (which almost all store bought in the U.S. are) soft cheeses are fine, but others just avoid to be on the safe side.

Deli meats also have nitrates, along with bacon, ham, hot dogs, so those are no-nos as well.

Any sauces or dressings made with raw eggs.

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#4 of 66 Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 PM
DBZ

When you are overdue don't go bowling in hopes it'll bring on ctx, especially if you've only gone rarely in your life. Your pelvis will feel like those pins and you will be praying that you don't go into labor. Trust me. I speak from experience.

You should be careful about what kind of teas you drink. I'd also check the ingredients on any energy type of drink.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#5 of 66 Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 AM

If you have a cat, don't change the cat litter (toxoplasmosis). And then there is the obvious, no alcohol and limit caffeine to no more then one cup a day. Also avoid artificial sweeteners (saccharin is bad, aspartame is okay as far as I remember, but I just avoid them all the time).
Careful with herbs, some cause uterine contractions. Check kelleymom for safe herbs during pg.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#6 of 66 Old 09-24-2007, 01:30 AM

Eh, I think most of the warnings are overblown. Personally I don't drink alcohol pregnant (though I would consider a glass of wine here or there in the third trimester... : ) but I have no problem with those who do.

I never really eat artificial sweeteners (an occaisional piece of sugar free gum... less when pregnant)

And that's about it. As far as what I really put stock in.

-Angela
#7 of 66 Old 09-24-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Eh, I think most of the warnings are overblown. Personally I don't drink alcohol pregnant (though I would consider a glass of wine here or there in the third trimester... : ) but I have no problem with those who do.

I never really eat artificial sweeteners (an occaisional piece of sugar free gum... less when pregnant)

And that's about it. As far as what I really put stock in.

-Angela
:
Don't get drunk. Don't do drugs. Don't smoke. Give up cheese? No way!
#8 of 66 Old 09-24-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I am trying to use common sense but not live this pregnancy in fear. Do you guys have a link to any discussions on what herbal teas are ok during pregnancy and whcih aren't? I stop coffee so I would love to have some tea during pregnancy. I always have the hardest time searching in mothering though so if anybody knows where threads on tea and pregnancy might be I would appreciate it
#9 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 AM

I heard recently that green tea is bad for pregnant mothers. Oops - I drank about a gallon of it a day when I was expecting DS!
#10 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 AM

Another thing to avoid - saunas and hot spas... you don't want to overheat your baby. Oh, and undercooked meat (may carry toxoplasmosis), alcohol, too much coffee... and stress!
#11 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's not as easy to overheat baby as you think it would be. The time your internal temp would be increasing that much, you would not be comfortable and would be getting out. I soaked in our hot tub almost every single day during DD2's pg, and she survived.

I don't really change much during pg, I don't smoke or drink anyway, I do switch to decaf coffee, but otherwise I live my life.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#12 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
When you are overdue don't go bowling in hopes it'll bring on ctx, especially if you've only gone rarely in your life. Your pelvis will feel like those pins and you will be praying that you don't go into labor. Trust me. I speak from experience.

Just for the record, I ate whatever stayed down (health condition, see sig for details) and that included deli meats a few times.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#13 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherRN View Post
If you have a cat, don't change the cat litter (toxoplasmosis).
Not true! I asked my vet. It's safe.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#14 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Not true! I asked my vet. It's safe.
You're right. My midwife said that if you've had cats for a number of years (I've had them all my life) then you've probably already been exposed to toxioplasmosis and thought it was jsut a cold or something. So you have a natural immunity.

This is good, because even me being pregnant couldn't get DH to clean the litterbox. :
#15 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
You're right. My midwife said that if you've had cats for a number of years (I've had them all my life) then you've probably already been exposed to toxioplasmosis and thought it was jsut a cold or something. So you have a natural immunity.

This is good, because even me being pregnant couldn't get DH to clean the litterbox. :
SHHHH don't tell DP!! I got her cleaning the cat box!! Seriously-there is a lot of hype about what you can and can't do pregnant. I think it's about moderation and what you are comfortable with. I eat sushi sometimes, and deli meats. I tend to avoid tuna mostly because I don't like it-and that pregnant women should avoid it also helps!

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#16 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 AM

There are some fish that you are supposed to avoid because of mercury. I can't remember all the names of them; I'm not a big fish eater so it's not an issue for me but if you google mercury in fish you'll get a list.
#17 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expectantmami View Post
SHHHH don't tell DP!! I got her cleaning the cat box!! Seriously-there is a lot of hype about what you can and can't do pregnant. I think it's about moderation and what you are comfortable with. I eat sushi sometimes, and deli meats. I tend to avoid tuna mostly because I don't like it-and that pregnant women should avoid it also helps!
Yeah, shhhhhhhh!!!! My DP is all over the litterbox duties here. I would be sad if something happened to change that for me. :
#18 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post

Plus...cats contract and transmit toxoplasmosis by eating live prey. If your cats are 100% indoor cats (all 3 of mine are, and have never been allowed outdoors), and only eat prepared foods, there's really no chance they have toxoplasmosis to begin with.

But I still make the hubby clean the litter box, just because I don't like to do it.
#19 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie3096 View Post
There are some fish that you are supposed to avoid because of mercury. I can't remember all the names of them; I'm not a big fish eater so it's not an issue for me but if you google mercury in fish you'll get a list.
Tuna mainly.
#20 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Mayo is also a no no, but Ok if made in USA, it's pasterized, same goes for the cheese issue!

Also, don't say you did something and your baby turned out just fine, you don't know what kind of issues that child could develope years down the line from what you did or did not due during your pregnancy!
#21 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmoro311 View Post
Also, don't say you did something and your baby turned out just fine, you don't know what kind of issues that child could develope years down the line from what you did or did not due during your pregnancy!
Actually, in the case of most of these (specifically the food paranoia) you do. The big concern about deli meats and cheeses would be something immediate.

I am educated on the "concerns" and make my choices accordingly. I actually don't eat tuna at all - the mercury concern is just too great IMO. But I will eat deli meat from an excellent deli without concern thanks

-Angela
#22 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie3096 View Post
I think it's tuna, shark, king mackerel and there is a fourth one. BAsically large salt water fish.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#23 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 AM

Oh yeah, I also drink raw milk. With abandon!!!!

Additionally, I drive a car! While eating a Subway sandwich!

I just had to point out the most dangerous things I do while pregnant. :

Everything in moderation, really.

#24 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 11:17 AM

Has anyone actually seen statistics or risk analysis of some of these things? For example, how many pregnant women actually contract listeria from deli meat each year? Or from soft cheese? How many cases of listeria contamination (of any food) are reported each year? Is there actually any data to back up the sushi ban? In Japan, women are encouraged to eat sushi while pregnant.

I followed all the dietary rules with my first pregnancy... but this time around I feel like a lot of the rules go a little too far.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#25 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 AM

I'm not concerned about eating deli meat. I just make sure I follow the instruction on the package about eating it within 7 days of opening. If I don't finish it before then, I toss it out. I have eaten deli meats during all 3 pg's and haven't had any problems and I don't personally know anyone who has IRL.
#26 of 66 Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM

I think deli meats are kind of gross anyway it's not an issue for me. Someone posted what the odds would be on another thread but I can't find it now, it was pretty low, WAY lower than driving your car while pregnant!

For me, the only things that really change are that I eat better and make a more conscious effort to get some activity everyday (be it a bike ride, walk or just weeding the garden).

As far as the "I did it and we're fine" argument. I understand the objection to the argument, it's the same argument my grandmother used about twilight sleep and spanking and having her new babies sleep on their bellies in a room by themselves. The argument is flawed in and of itself, but Alegna is right. Most of us around here have done a lot of research and educated oureslves and are making our decisions based on that, not just anecdotal, "my kid turned out" kinda evidence.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#27 of 66 Old 09-28-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Actually, in the case of most of these (specifically the food paranoia) you do. The big concern about deli meats and cheeses would be something immediate.

I am educated on the "concerns" and make my choices accordingly. I actually don't eat tuna at all - the mercury concern is just too great IMO. But I will eat deli meat from an excellent deli without concern thanks

-Angela
I know I just hate when you hear comments from women who say things like "I drank 2 cups of coffee a day during my pregnancy and my child is just fine."
#28 of 66 Old 09-28-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expectantmami View Post
I think it's tuna, shark, king mackerel and there is a fourth one. BAsically large salt water fish.
I've heard that canned tuna and any salmon are ok, but only in moderation. Shark, ahi tuna (or mahi mahi?), king mackerel and swordfish are no-nos (they're too high in the food chain).

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#29 of 66 Old 09-28-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatmama View Post

Deli meats also have nitrates, along with bacon, ham, hot dogs, so those are no-nos as well.

Any sauces or dressings made with raw eggs.
Oh great, some nights all I can eat is a hotdog :/

Ally
#30 of 66 Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieAlly View Post
Oh great, some nights all I can eat is a hotdog :/

Ally
Try the SmartDogs - their tofu, very tasty!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page