Tell me about pitocin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm being induced on Thursday

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#2 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 PM

I had to be induced the last two times. I didn't think it was any more painful than my first birth (without pitocin). I heard bad things about it and was nervous, but to me, it wasn't a big deal at all.
#3 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 05:05 PM

It really sucked, in my instance. Instant hard labour. 'Cascade of interventions', what have you. But there are lots of different experiences to be had...
#4 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM

I was having false labor all the time and my contractions with false labor were strong and always on top of eachother, like no break at all in between one would start to stop and the other would start. So pitocin really didnt' bother me. But it was my first kid and I was happy to be having a baby, and I had had a bad experience with the last bout of false labor that was horribly painful and just an upsetting experience and so I was just happy to be skipping triage and was fine with an epidural. This time I'm planning on a natural birth so I dont' know. But I last a while without the epi and was happy, it didnt seem worse than normal, but I have such hyperactive contractions they turned it off pretty early b/c i was doing it on my own, they really didn't have to do much more than jump start them.
#5 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 PM

in MY experience the pain was not manageable the contractions were erratic and unrealistic they kept "upping" them so they would come closer together to benefit them (i didnt know i had a choice at the time to refuse the upped dosages) so the "cascade of interventions" came along with it epidural, episiotomy (sp?)

everyones experience is different but thats how mine was and i very much look forward to homebirthing from now on

Megan-loving wife to my high school sweet heart 9.24.2005 and AP mama to my big boy biggrinbounce.gif 12.14.2006, homebirth.jpglittle sister 5.27.2009 andhomebirth.jpg baby sister 8.31.11

#6 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 05:55 PM

Unbelievably intense for me with both induced births but managed to go pain med free with my second. It is doable. It was amazing.

Just do what feels right Mama to help you ride the contractions. Movement and wailing helped me breathe the way I needed to bring baby down. It is so very different for everyone.

Wishing you a beautiful birth.

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#7 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyD View Post
It really sucked, in my instance. Instant hard labour. 'Cascade of interventions', what have you. But there are lots of different experiences to be had...
That's how it was for me. But as the others have said, a lot of times, it doesn't make much difference. I've heard of a lot of women having pit and it doesn't seem to make things much more painful for them. I'd say the most important thing going in is to not stress about it -- just take it as it comes, and don't worry about how it "might" be more painful. You can do it!
#8 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 06:08 PM

My pitocin augmented was by far my very worst of the 5.
Unless this is life or death I would avoid it. It's hard on you AND the baby.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#9 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 06:44 PM

My labor was augmented with Pitocin. My water broke and I was having contractions, I dilated 4cm in about 18 hours. I finally broke down and consented to the Pitocin, and then my contractions went from very painful but tolerable to intolerable. Then the cascade of interventions followed..... But I did have a vaginal birth. DD had some issues at birth from a difficult labor but is fine now.
#10 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM

Not to scare you, but my experience was negative as well. I BEGGED for the epidural--had hoped to go natural. I think I caved in less than 2 yrs. The contractions were just so intense and instant and on top of one another, relentless. The epi was pretty great though. : I didn't have to have a C/S, which was my big fear. All in all, it sucked. BUT the end was worth the means and it will be for you too.
#11 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi View Post
Unless this is life or death I would avoid it. It's hard on you AND the baby.

Keri
:

unless there was a dire medical reason (not being "overdue") I would absolutely not consent to an induction.

-Angela
#12 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 PM

I agree with Alegna (again????? )
#13 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 PM

I've got to ditto almost everyone's response. Since they can turn up the dial on pitocin the contractions came unnaturally fast and were unbareable. I ended up begging for pain relief. I ended up with first nubain, then an epidural (wanted to go natural), then a c-section then a ton of antibotics afterwards.

I went from wanting a completely natural birth without drugs to basically emptying out their medicine cabinet.

Sorry for only more negative tales.
#14 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 PM

This is my experience with Pit. I was not induced. I went into the hosp at 1cm and they were about to send me home (I wish they had) and my water broke. Basically, I flipped out got and epidural and laid in bed from 2am-7am when they told me that my contractions had stopped (actually just weren't being picked up by the monitor) despite me insisting I could feel them. They started pit through my IV at 8:20am and told me it would be 12 hours. I gave birth to dd at 9:15 after 4 minutes of pushing. Persoanlly, I think I was still actively laboring all night long and the pit just "pushed" things along, but it was intense even with the epi.

I reatined a ton of water and my MW said it was likely due to the pit. My toes were soooo swollen.

That's my experience.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#15 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 09:00 PM

It's unnatural, and unless there is an emergency situation, don't do it. I had a friend who was due a few days after me and she was induced at 39 weeks because the dr said her baby was getting too big. Well, she had a 7lb 10 oz baby...

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#16 of 61 Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 PM

Well, let's see...

I did 18 hours of induced labor with no epidural. Then I did 12 hours with an epidural. Fortunately, my care providers were willing to consult me before turning up the pump each time; unfortunately, that wasn't enough to make it "work". Here's what I eventually wrote into our birth story about it:

Quote:
"I didn't really fully understand my objection to Pitocin until later. We'd learned all about it in our birthing class, and that while sometimes it could help keep a delivery on track and prevent a surgical birth, that often it led to more severe interventions. It wasn't until the next day that I realized my real problem with it: while I trusted my body not to dose me so heavy with hormones that it was beyond my ability to cope, I knew for a fact that this pump next to me could give me more than I could handle."
So, unless you have a particular disorder that means you CANNOT go into labor naturally (I have heard of this), or if there is some hard indication that the baby is hypoxic or otherwise in serious danger, or if there is a hard indication (such as verifiable pre-e, NOT just high blood pressure) that YOU are in significant danger, I would not consent to an induction. Not that you asked, I know ;-) but that's my take on Pitocin. Just say no.

BTW, we had the cascade of interventions that ended in an exhausted uterus (and an exhausted mommy; the induction didn't even start until 18 hours after my water broke, and I'd only gotten two hours of sleep the night before, too) and a c-section. Working on a VBAC baby this time, and MAN do I wish I didn't have a giant scar across my uterus that made everyone chew their fingernails...
#17 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 01:49 AM

Urgh. I need the voodoo doll smiley for this one, cuz that's how I feel about Pitocin. It made my contractions SO strong, and since I was confined to bed to be monitored because of it, I couldn't move around to alleviate the pain. And then, I got to enjoy it AGAIN during my postpartum hemorrage a week later. Blech!
#18 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 AM

I had pit after 36 hours ruptured in very inadequate labor (a weak contraction every 7 minutes, I swear it was because my body did not want to give birth in a hospital) anyway, I just hated the external control. Everytime a nurse came in I knew they wanted to crank up the pit. I remember begging that they leave it alone once...to no aval. They eventually moved me to bed (I was laboring on the toilet) and wanted me to stay there because of fetal heart rate decelerations and I asked for an epidural because the only thing that was keeping me sane was being able to move around. Anyway, after 3 failed attempts at an epidural I was ready to push. Pitocin moved me from 5 cm to complete in a little over an hour. OUCH

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#19 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM

Personally, I think pitocin is evil. I was induced with my first (because I was scared and wouldn't let him out), they even just gave me half a dose (because of meuconium) and it felt like my body was ripping in half. It went from very manageable contractions without, to feeling totally out of control and frantic with each contraction. Thank goodness they were nice and let me labor on the birth ball next to the bed, and THANK GOODNESS for our doula who worked so hard to get me to relax as much as I could. I had something for nausea- the pitocin made me throw up. I was able to do it w/o pain meds though.

Second birth- sooo easy! Contractions without pitocin are so completely different (at least to me)- I could definately feel a rise and fall of the contraction instead of instantly HAAARRRRRDDDDDD and a second rest, then HHHAAAAARRRDDDD, etc. I was amazed at how much easier I could stay on top of them without the pitocin! Then after she was born they put something else in the IV (I was GBS+ so had abx) and I started feeling nauseous. As the nurse walked me to the bathroom I was like "You're NOT giving me pitocin are you?" and she said of course she was, it was procedure to get mom's uterus to contract. : So I felt nauseous AND had horrible afterpains- pitocin is evil before OR after labor! Avoid it if at all possible!
#20 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 AM

OK, I posted a pit story but let's give the OP a break! To those who are saying "avoid at all costs!" I think that's easier said than done. I mean, the reason you pay an MD rather than labor in a grassy meadow is because you want to have the safest birth possible. If your MD--a person who's been to med school and delivered a lot of babies--is telling you that pit is safe and needs to be used for your safety and the baby's, it's very hard to argue, esp if your argument is "but some online strangers told me not to!" Yeah, it sucks but this poor chick is undergoing it Thurs. What's she supposed to do--refuse it and deliver in the ER? I know my doc made it sound like I'd be risking my baby's health and safety if I weren't induced. Whether that was true or not, it wasn't a risk I was willing to take and I think it's unfair to put that on someone else, esp when you don't know the full medical story.

OP, don't worry--it's no fun but it doesn't always lead to cascading interventions.

Be at peace, trust in your decision to trust your doctor and don't worry.
#21 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 10:49 AM

I was induced with P with my first. I went into labor 4 hours later and 4 hours after that I had the baby. With my second I was not induced and had a 4 hour labor as well. IMO the births were very similar.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#22 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
What's she supposed to do--refuse it and deliver in the ER?
No, refuse the induction and show up in L&D in spontaneous labor.

I understand what you are saying but she did ask.
She didn't say "Being induced Thursday, support only." She asked us to tell her about pitocin.
My recommendation wouldn't be to just read this thread. I am hoping she will take this information and it will prompt her to do her own research where she will find that pitocin is unnatural, causes stress on the baby, almost always forces Mama confined to the bed for the duration of labor which we all know can lead to fetal distress, and epidural therefor blood pressure issues and respritory issues for the baby not to mention an 'emergency' cesarean which carries a whole additional set of risks for both Mom and baby.
Yes, some women are induced with pitocin and go on to have vaginal births and healthy babies but I would guess that it is more dangerous than having a baby at 42+ weeks. Babies come when they are ready for a reason.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#23 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
OK, I posted a pit story but let's give the OP a break! To those who are saying "avoid at all costs!" I think that's easier said than done. I mean, the reason you pay an MD rather than labor in a grassy meadow is because you want to have the safest birth possible. If your MD--a person who's been to med school and delivered a lot of babies--is telling you that pit is safe and needs to be used for your safety and the baby's, it's very hard to argue, esp if your argument is "but some online strangers told me not to!" Yeah, it sucks but this poor chick is undergoing it Thurs. What's she supposed to do--refuse it and deliver in the ER? I know my doc made it sound like I'd be risking my baby's health and safety if I weren't induced. Whether that was true or not, it wasn't a risk I was willing to take and I think it's unfair to put that on someone else, esp when you don't know the full medical story.

OP, don't worry--it's no fun but it doesn't always lead to cascading interventions.

Be at peace, trust in your decision to trust your doctor and don't worry.
No WAY. Blindly trusting a dr. is a bad and dangerous idea. You should be responsible for your own health and welfare. Fact of the matter is that inductions ARE NOT a good idea medically short of a dire situation. The OP has a responsibility to take responsibility for herself and her baby.

-Angela
#24 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearsoblessed View Post
Unbelievably intense for me with both induced births but managed to go pain med free with my second. It is doable. It was amazing.
Mama, you deserve a medal for that! Seriously...I barely made it with normal contractions, and I don;t think I have ever met anyone IRL who made it w/out an epidural that had Pitocin
#25 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 AM

Just wanted to add this about a drug Cytotec that some dr's are using, in case it comes up for you:
Cytotec in the news

Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#26 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM

it sucks. I was on pitocin for 48 hours and then labored for another 2 days... and it was painful and awful. My nurse told me that pitocin makes it like 10 times more painful to labor. Of course, it was all in vain as I had an emergency csection
#27 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Here is an excellent article on the cascade of hormones in labor and birth:
http://www.sarahjbuckley.com/article...atic-birth.htm

When you have Pitocin, it interrupts the natural cascade of endorphins (which help you manage the pain) and other hormones. I wouldn't agree to an induction unless my health was in immediate danger or my baby was in serious trouble. In an overdue situation (which is not until 42 weeks), I don't see the harm in just having non-stress tests done to make sure fluid levels are ok, placenta is still healthy, and baby is fine.

Have they told you if your cervix is favorable or not? If your cervix is not starting to thin and open on its own, an induction is likely to lead to C-section for "failure to progress."

If you feel an induction is necessary, why not ask that they start with stripping (not breaking) your membranes and using Cervadil rather than Pitocin? Cervadil and Prepadil are prostaglandins that can help ripen the cervix. But if they don't work you can always go home and try again another day or wait. Not as drastic as Pitocin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
No WAY. Blindly trusting a dr. is a bad and dangerous idea. You should be responsible for your own health and welfare. Fact of the matter is that inductions ARE NOT a good idea medically short of a dire situation. The OP has a responsibility to take responsibility for herself and her baby.

-Angela
I agree. MDs are not taught to let nature take its course, they are taught all of the interventions and don't seem to have much respect (as most midwives have) for the natural process which birth can be except in rare situations. I have only met one OB who would not induce without a medical reason.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#28 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Read about it in the Thinking Woman's Guide To A Better Birth (might be at your library) ASAP.

And please, don't do it!!!!

I did with ds and it was so incredibly horrible. Truly. Tons of complications. Being 4cm on pit with him was one million times more excruciating than having my huge dd pulled out and my cervix pushed back after 3 hours of pushing (I had a lip).

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#29 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

-Angela
Exactly. In the book I mentioned, there are tons of studies, too. Print them off or bring them in as a list by name to back yourself up if you are uncomfortable standing up for yourself.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#30 of 61 Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesmommy View Post
Just wanted to add this about a drug Cytotec that some dr's are using, in case it comes up for you:
Cytotec in the news

Manda
Very good point- Cytotec has killed and seriously harmed many mamas and babies.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page