August Mama's...thread number 5 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay I'm here. I haven't been by in far too long... bad bad Lil

Congrats to all the new Mommas out there!!

I can't believe today is actuallly August. I reached 37 weeks yesterday which was such a relief since I had so many risk factors to pre-term labor. My actual due date is 8/21. I just hope baby is born any other day besides 8/10. My dad has a hearing he needs to go to about his long term dissability on the 18th and the Bris has to be 8 days after birth and I would hate for me dad to miss it but he can't skip this hearing Other than the 10th I'll be happy whenever the baby chooses to make his entrance.

Unlike most of you I have no nesting instinct at this point. I'm not sure if I'll ever get it. I just hate to clean so much. I'm doing it because I feel I have to get everything neat but not enjoying it.
#92 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 12:27 PM

Hi August Mamas!

Wow, it is now officially August!

My first post to this thread was on July 10, at which point I was all bragging about not needing a list of stuff to bring to the hospital cause I was having a homebirth. Ha! How things change! At 34 weeks (July 17) my dh and I found out we have twins!

So it was a blissful non-intervention pregnancy until then. Now our choices are unattended childbirth at home or a hospital birth. I am started to understand the stress that comes with having a 'complicated' pregnancy. Our midwife put us in touch with a really good OB, who completely fits the "midwife in disguise" description. But still, he wants to do an ultrasound next week (our first u/s was when the twins were found two weeks ago) to check on their growth. I just don't see the point. I guess I don't really believe some u/s machine knows more about when the babies should be born than the babies themselves do.

After talking a lot with our OB, I am pretty convinced that I will be allowed to have a 'natural' childbirth at the hospital. But I still have a hard time dealing with the fact that my babies are going to be born into such a yucky (to me) environment. And I am struggling with the conflict of me wanting to believe that I am prefectly capable of birthing two babies, and yet being told by everyone else that it is risky enough that I should do it in a hospital. I am trying to trust that they are strong babies and won't catch any infections while there.

Other than that my pregnancy is incredibly healthy. I think what really helped is that I stopped worked before we started ttc. So I had a few months of really healthy, low stress, lots of exercise (I was really getting into biking, like a few hundred miles a week) before becoming pregnant. Then once pregnant, I was able to rest a lot (and now I know about the two babies, I understand why I really was sleeping an incredible amount) and have energy to eat and exercise well. That is my experience about having healthy twins that no one will suspect until 34 weeks .

These are my first babies, and I am 38, which I guess is not helping to make anyone more confident about the birth.

This week I have been reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth which just came out this year. It has birth stories in the first half, like Spiritual Midwifery. (The language seems a bit more mainstream for those put off by the hippy style of Spiritual Midwifery.) The second half has some really great insights on the mind/body connection during labor and birth. The chapter I really loved was 'Sphincter Law': lots of really helpful ideas about how to relax and open up during labor. It has been a very calming book to read to while contemplating a hospital birth. This is the one book I have recommended to my husband! We took a Birthin from Within childbirth class together - I thought that pretty much covered everything else he would need to know .

Everyone thinks our two babies will definitely arrive before the edd: 50% of twins arrive before 37 weeks. When I thought we had just one, I didn't care about the edd at all. Now that there are two, and everyone says they will come early, I really would love to have them on the due date :LOL. Every day I tell them they are safe inside of me and that they should stay there a bit longer and keep growing!

I read this thread every few days to see how everyone is doing. It is great to see all the support you give each other. And my heart truly goes out to every mama who has been dealing with one complication or another while pregnant . Congratulations to the mamas :bf who already have their babes in their arms now! And happy birthin vibes to the mamas still to cross the bridge!
#93 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 12:56 PM

Skye's Mama! Congratulations on the twins! What a surprise, I'm sure! I haven't had an ultrasound at all and people keep saying, "but what if there are twins? How would you know?" Well, I'm pretty sure I only have one, but yes, it would be a bit of a surprise!! It sounds like you're doing a great job preparing and taking care of yourself. You'll have a wonderful birth with wonderful healthy babies!!!

It's AUGUST!!! I woke up this morning feeling like a little girl on Christmas morning! I can't believe it's actually "our" month!

I'm so glad this is a safe place to admit those feelings of disappointment about not having a girl. I've always imagined myself with daughters too (what woman doesn't?) but my dh is one of 4 boys and his dad's family is very predominatly male. So I have a feeling that having a daughter might be slim pickings. This is our first and we don't even know what it is...but I completely understand how you all might be feeling if you're on your last one and it's another boy.
#94 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 03:10 PM

:

Skye's mama- CONGRATULATIONS on carrying twins! Wow! What a healthy pregnancy you have had-that is awesome that you have not had any complications and have carried your babies to 36 weeks! I am sure that you will have a beautiful birth with your MD (midwife in disguise .) It sounds as if you have really taken control of your birth and your body and will have a blissful outcome! We are nearly due date buddies...

Sharon,
I know what you mean about feeling like Christmas morning today! I just finished buying dd some fall clothes and was walking around with a smile on my face that said "this is the month!" Such a great feeling! I think we are all at 36 weeks now so we can put aside our fears of early birth, etc. SUPER DAY!

Kaje62,
Thanks for adding to the due date list! Wow! There are a bunch of us! Those birth stories are soon to be flooding in! It does look like we have a big grouping around "full moon" time on the 12th! I am interested to see how many of us birth around that time!

traixa2-Aug. 4
Lucky Momma-Aug. 6
Juliem-Aug. 6
TLS-early Aug.
Kaje62-Aug. 8
Mavis-Aug. 9
natesmommy126-Aug. 10
Willow Tree-Aug. 11
laurag-Aug. 11
Emah-Aug. 11
Sharon-Aug. 13
Annais-Aug. 15
JuicyLucy-Aug. 15
Mamasoleil-Aug. 15
ApMommaof5-Aug. 16
Tnrsmom-Aug. 17
Kate42-Aug. 17
Smeta-Aug. 18
Lilg127- Aug. 21
Mamabeard-Aug. 23
Pavlina-Aug. 24
Dreamweaver-Aug. 24
mpls_momma-Aug. 24
Chanley-Aug. 29
skye's mama-Aug. 29
Wooby- Aug. 31
maizy-Aug.
RachelMolly
#95 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 04:16 PM

Hi there,
I just came back from chiropractor - what a great feeling! My neck is sitting on the right place again That feels so gooooood.
Skye'smama - congratulations on your twins!! That is amazing! How does it feel to find out such news at 34 weeks? I tell you, after I read you were carring twins I became a little paranoid about having twins myself, b/c everyone keeps saying how big I was and my baby's feet just seem to be EVERYWHERE.....lol.

Kaje62 - yes, I was feeling a little down lately. I guess just tired, not sleeping much. And my MW appointment - I did not really wanted to say too much here in case she comes here and reads it : , but I doubt it. My DH and I were a little frustrated with her lately. She is great MW, no doubt about that, but she seems to have troubles separating her profesional life from privat life. We saw her last Tuesday and it did not feel good for some reason. It has started about 4 weeks ago when we came to see her for my prenatal and birth class and we messed up the time and showed up about 40 minutes EARLIER. Before I go on I have to say that my DH had to take half day off to drive there b/c she was going to a party that night and asked all of us (all couples) to come about 3 hours earlier so she can go to her party! So we said no problem and my DH took half day off for that. So we got there, 40 minutes earlier, and were trying to get in, but nobody would open!! So we waited, and waited, about 20 minutes and were getting pretty mad that nobody was home!! So we sat down outside and waited...then I noticed she had a door bell and rang it. About 5 minutes later a window opened up and she was all pissed saying that we were TOO EARLY! and that she was taking a nap (3pm)!! Then she took next 5 minutes to come down and open the door and let us in. And all that time she was trying to make us feel incredibly guilty for comeing early and waking her up!!! By that time it was already about 15 minutes to our "real" appointment and she would have to get up anyway!! We were really mad and nither my DH or I felt like saying sorry - b/c honestly I don't think we needed to. So she kept on and on like- now you have to give me some time to do some stuff since you came early!! So we waited at her downstairs and I had to calm my DH down b/c he was ready to say something to her. Then she came down and was all nice but still time to time reminded us how important her naps are for her!! Expecting us to say were sorry - NOT happening! I also should mention that 2 weeks prior this we came for my prenatal and birth class and as soon as we got there she said she had a terrible migraine and that the birth class was cancled!!!! It's about an hour and 10 minutes drive! We were fine, did very short prenatal and left...........2 weeks later we show up 40 minutes earlier and it's a fire on the roof!! Isn't that totally stupid??? And ever since that prenatal sucks! I don't get it......I am not saying anything b/c there is only 6 MW's in GA to do HB and we do need her. I feel pretty confident she will do a great job when the time comes, but I just think she has some issues she needs to work on.........
Anyway, I am 37 weeks this Sunday so soon it'll be all over!!! Thanks God!

Sky'smama - I just remembered I've read amazing story on unasisted birth of twins!! I am going to try to find it for you so you can read it. It's pretty cool!! If I find it, I will post it.
#96 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 04:31 PM

here is one birth story with twins: http://unassistedchildbirth.com/twins.htm
another one:http://unassistedchildbirth.com/tammy.htm
andhere you can find all of them....http://unassistedchildbirth.com/index.htm
Fascinating stories!!
#97 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 05:28 PM

oh my goodness, I can't believe it, THIS IS THE MONTH, mums!!!!

Wow, Skye's mama, wonderful news!!! CONGRATS!!!! Amazing!! What a surprise, and I think it may just be great you find out later becoz so far you enjoyed a blissful pregnancy, and so healthy, hooray!! I am sure your birth will go well, many positive birthing vibes to you! ~~~~~~
oh, and I guess that also means last minute shopping for extra sets of clothes!!

Wooby, seems like our mamas' list has doubled, whoa!! Looks like it's more like it's going to be one birth per day!!!

I'm more towards the end, baby is only "officially" full term end of next week..... so I'm kind of waiting to hear birth stories, how exciting!! I LOVE birth stories!!

I'm starting to feel tired..... I hope everyone else is doing fine!!

Take care all!!
#98 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 05:50 PM

HEY! Dont forget about me and mine! I'm due august 24th!

jucylucy- When we found out it was a boy , they said it was 80% likely. I was sorta upset because both my husband and I thought it was going to be a girl. We both were really pumped up. But the more I hang out with the baby I relise how much easier my life is going to be with this baby. No creepster boys lurking around our house. No low cut shirt (dear god how my parents suffered) And a lot of other great things that you will never have to deal with!
#99 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

mplsmomma, we did not forget you. you are on the list that i gave wooby but i did not know your actual date. so I send end of august. I am sure she will fix it soon. she is very much on top of it. unless she is busy having a baby.
#100 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 06:26 PM

Is anyone else feeling apathetic towards food???

I love to eat and usually live for dinnertime. But right now if you plopped me down in ANY restaurant in the world of my choosing, I could not come up with ONE single item I want to eat.

Applesauce is abotu the only thing that does not make me wanna retch at the thought. I am not nauseous just blah!!! Ohh and I got nasty with a librarian today. I am NEVER mean to people I don;t know (just my Dh). Ugh!! I wanna sleep and make the world just LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!

Ohh I have a baby shower tomorrow, I am gonna have to be nice and smile lots and try not to show my current pessimistic attitude.

-Chief Thundercloud (shannon)
#101 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 06:41 PM

Skye's Mama -- OMG twins!! How exciting. Its great that your OB is willing to work with you on a natural birth.

Sharon -- I had the same giddy feeling this morning. Between reaching term yesterday and knowing today is August woo hoo. It sounds like your family does need a few more girls though

Wooby -- I can't wait to hear all the birth stories. This is so exciting that they are starting to come now.

Pavlina -- That is very weird about your midwife. Hopefully you won't still feel the negative feeling as you get closer to birht.

Dream Weaver -- So you get to read all our experiences and learn from us before your time comes.. its got some advantages too and it'll go by quickly.

mpls_momma-- Thats funny. Having a boy can be less worries. My co-worker is having a boy aswell and he always says with a boy you only have to worry about your boy but with a girl you have to worry about all boys :

Chanley -- I've really been struggling with food to. I just can't eat much of anything.
#102 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Before I go into my appointment today. I forgot to mention that I am having an ultrasound done again on Monday and they want to recheck the weight along with a complete biophysical. They say they want to verify once again that the baby is not too big for a VBAC. I want to say so if they are different results, what test is wrong? Is that riduculous or what?

Today I had a horrible appointment. I started with a non stress test and it was perfect and my blood pressure was 140/90 which has been quite consistent. I started off by asking, is it okay if I go to Camp Snoopy tonight? And the midwife, Lisa said, "Absolutely not." What you need to be doing tonight is have that baby. I said, "Why, I am not going to go on rides and I will be sitting and watching mostly?" And Lisa said, "No it is too much stimulation and too much walking for you and we need to be having this baby soon and possibly talking about an induction. I said, "My due date is not until next Friday and my ultrasound was 8 out of 8 out on Monday and my non stress was good today." And she said, "Kathy your placenta has known for quite a few weeks that your blood pressure has been high." Then Lisa asked if I would be willing to have some blood work done (which would be my third time) and I said yes and then she said what about a 24 hour urine test and I said, "When would you get the blood results back?" And she said, "Monday, unless you go over to the hospital lab now, we can get the results in an hour." I said, "I just had the test 9 days ago and everything was fine, do you really think I need it and she said yes." I said, "Okay I will do the blood work but I do not want to do the urine test as of now." And then I said, "When you are talking induction, what are you talking and she said, "Gels." And I said, "But aren't they no good for vbacs cuz of uterine rupture and she said, "People still use them." Anyway I went over to the hospital to the 4th floor, I thought she said 4th floor and ended going through the neonatal area and saw a really sick baby with a family that was crying and I started crying. And thought I am such a fool to risk all of this and not being willing to cooperate with their urine tests and wanting to go to camp snoopy.

I left quite sad. I went and had a quick lunch and as I was driving home, Ann the other midwife called me with the blood work results and everything was fine. I said, "Ann, I am pretty bummed out right now, I don't know if you are being overly cautious or if you are really concerned. But I feel that everytime I come in it seems like you have nothing good to say. (which by the way, my edema is not even a one and my reflexes are fine) and she said, well your ultrasound and your non stress test today show a perfect baby and we want to keep everything that way so you should really continue to rest. I said, "I am confused that Lisa mentioned gels when those are not recommended for vbacs and she said, "Well sometimes people forget." Anyway she told me that maybe I should talk to a therapist to sort out these feelings and sadness around not having the last few weeks as joyous as I wanted.

Anyway after I got home I paged in to ask more questions. I talked to Ann and I said, "Ann a few weeks ago I asked you how high my blood pressure would have to go before you would talk induction or hospitalization and you said, "Before induction, you would do a magnesium drip which is no fun." And then today we are talking induction and my blood pressure has remained steady and my tests have all been good." And she said, "Kathy we may be at the point where your baby and your health are best for the baby to be outside of your body." I said, "Ann when I asked you about the gels earlier, you said sometimes the midwives forget." Ann said, "yes they forget that they are meeting with a client who has had a previous c-section." I said, "Ann I brought up the safety of gels for VBACs to Lisa and she did not seem concerned about them." And Ann said, "Kathy our practice does not use gels for VBAC moms." So there is another one of their double messages, makes my trust go way down!! She said that they would use pitocin but if your cervix is not favorable, it probably would not work. So then I said, "Ann can we just table this induction conversation until next week?" And she said, "Let me talk to the OB's, they are all in surgery right now and I will call you back." Yes they are in surgery with all the pitocin inductions they used today. Tee hee.

I am so confused? Am I in denial? I was excited about the VBAC etc. for the last few days, feeling really positive and hopeful and now they have me worried and sad. And I feel like I have to be treating myself as sick and not go have fun with my husband and son when last Sunday another midwife said I could just so I rest the rest of the day. What I don't get is they say rest and then they make me hang out there for 4 hours. I really would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Ann just called back and said the ob is not overly concerned even though my blood pressure was up a bit and I said, no it wasn't and she said yes 148/90 and then I said, "Ann it was written down wrong, cuz the first reading was 140/90 and the second was 135/89. So that is it for now.
#103 of 113 Old 08-01-2003, 09:36 PM

Geez Kathy Jo, sounds like you're getting the runaround. I felt that way too earlier this week when "they " made me go in to sign the vbac consent forms. I started feeling like maybe I wasn't making the best choices for my baby. I'm over that now. You need to get your belief in yourself and your baby back where they need to be. Nearly all doctors and medwives believe birth is a dangerous, complicated undertaking. One in which they need to induce, manage, control, all the while CTA. It's in THEIR best interest for you to induce and "get the baby out", not necessarily yours. They know how to prey on your fears, I think it's an actual class in med school. You've done enough testing to know that you're o.k., and your baby is o.k. Try to let go of the worry. Vent to your doula, or to anyone(all of us online ) who believe in safe, natural birth.

In fact, I have one little vent left in me from my session in hell with that stupid ob. She told me how horribly insafe it is for me to refuse continuous efm. How my baby is at high risk of neurological damage, and me of totally rupturing and dieing, yadda yadda yadda.. Anyway, my big thought is..If efm(which is highly subject to interpretation and in numerous studies has been proven to not increase the well-being of the baby) is the only way these clowns can determine the state of the mother or baby, what use are ob's? Are they really that unknowledgable about birth, that their only clue to what's going on with the baby is an inept piece of machinery? My.. what a sad state of affairs for everyone. Why even have ob's? Any surgeon can do a decent c-sec. Pediatricians and neonatologists handle routine and not so routine baby care. Shouldn't we just hire graduates from Devry or whatever tech school is teaching the computer geeks of the future? Who really needs them? O.k. see? I feel better already.

Kathy, I hope you feel better too. Trust your instincts.
#104 of 113 Old 08-02-2003, 12:32 AM

Kathy-jo, what a yucky yucky day for you! But I agree with Luckymomma, let out all your frustrations and then trust your instincts. It sounds like you have a good grasp on what you want and what feels right. Stick with it and remember that YOU are the one who makes all the final decisions about your body and your baby. Do you have a doula or someone else who knows a lot about birth that can really advocate for you once you do go into labor?

Pavlina, here's to your midwife pulling herself together so she can support you well during your birth!!! What completely frustrating visits! In a way, it might be good for her to read this and realize that she is being unreasonable!

Chanley, I'm eating lots of fruit but everything else sounds pretty blah. I'm still hungry so I'm eating lots, but it's just not fun and I sometimes need to force myself to eat.
#105 of 113 Old 08-02-2003, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

I went to the Mall of America and we did Underwater World and then I went and sat in a comfy chair at starbucks while dh and ds went to Camp Snoopy. I sat and drank raspberry leaf tea with my feet up and then it occured to me to call my accupuncturist who I have not seen in 3 years to see if she can induce me and help with my blood pressure. YEA! And maybe dh and I can you know what.
#106 of 113 Old 08-02-2003, 01:34 AM

kj - will talk to you on messenger, but this really sucks. i do'nt understand your midwife and what she'd doing/thinking. you CAN and WILL vbac. going back to talk to you now.

glad to hear everyone else is doign/feeling well. i guess i really don't belong on this thread anymore, but i need to check in on ya'all and see when the babies are coming.

i'm tired, still sore and having trouble sitting. lol. but so happy. Roman is a wonderful baby , smiles in his sleep, nurses like a champ and makes the cutest squeaks. lol
#107 of 113 Old 08-02-2003, 03:14 AM

Kaje62,

I am so sorry that you had such a crummy prenatal. It sounds as though you and your baby are very healthy, you have done a ton of tests to prove that, your docs/mw are just covering themselves... TRUST YOUR HEART! You know you can do this! They know you can do this! We know you can do this!

Try not to let misinformation and miscommunication (we do/do not use gels on vbacs, incorrect charting of your bp) affect your plans for this birth. Your caregivers may not have it all together, but YOU DO!

I hate that you had to see a struggling family with a poor poor sick baby in NICU. That won't be you! Your baby sounds super and you are full term anyway... I don't think you are putting yourself or your precious baby at risk.

I hope you got some sleep tonight.

Pavlina,
Sounds as though your midwife has you doubting her as well. That is no fun this late in the game! Or at any point for that matter. However, it sounds as though you have faith that she will pull it all together for your birth.

Colorful Mama,
So good to hear from you! You are one of our veteran Aug mamas and hearing from you reminds us of the precious gift we are so close to getting!
#108 of 113 Old 08-02-2003, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skye's mama

This week I have been reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth which just came out this year. It has birth stories in the first half, like Spiritual Midwifery. (The language seems a bit more mainstream for those put off by the hippy style of Spiritual Midwifery.) The second half has some really great insights on the mind/body connection during labor and birth. The chapter I really loved was 'Sphincter Law': lots of really helpful ideas about how to relax and open up during labor.

ITA skye's mama- this book has made me feel a lot more relaxed about the labor, and the chapter about Sphincter Law is AMAZING. I recommend you all to read this whilst waiting for your little ones.
#109 of 113 Old 08-02-2003, 12:55 PM

KJ -- I'm so sorry about your visit. I think I'd be feeling a lot of your feelings but what really struck me in your post was the lack of communication going on there. YOu have 1 person telling you one thing and another telling you another thing. No wonder your feeling frustrated. You've gotten some great advice here from people. You have to trust in yourself. Also you may want to be sure that your records are accurate. If she wrote down the wrong bloodpressure what other errors could there be. I know this was a big issue for me when I got my records from my OB when transfering. There were tons of errors in there.
#110 of 113 Old 08-02-2003, 09:19 PM

Checking in after several days off line....wow, alot has been going on with every one!!!!
Congrats to the new mommas!!!!!!!!
Last night was my last day at work, all my coworkers gave me a surprise card shower and potluck! very cool.....it really was super cool.
It helped make up for the crappy prenatal appt. yesterday morning....my midwife wanted me to have another US to check the babies growth (still only "barely measuring 35cm", despite being 39+weeks), and a nonstress test. I agreed to the NST, but had to insist on waiting until Mon for the US....NST was fine.
Hopefully I'll just have the baby this weekend!
Happy nesting!!!!
#111 of 113 Old 08-03-2003, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I started a new thread for us.

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=78049

come and post away.
#112 of 113 Old 08-03-2003, 09:02 PM

Hi mamas- I haven't posted here in a while. I'm getting excited, but...

planning a homebirth, and unfortunately lately I heard a really sad story, of course I don't know all of the facts, but from what I gather, the mother was going just fine, everything seemed fine at the home birth, all fetal monitoring was good, etc. and the baby came out and just didn't look right. This baby didn't make it and was my midwife's case. It's the first time this has happened to her in 20 years.

They rushed to the hospital but to no avail, the baby couldn't be resusitated.

So, I think to myself, "what if..." what if I'm that rare case of a prolapsed cord or of something else that if you're in the hospital can truly be taken care of right away?

I live only 10 minutes from the hospital, but those 10 minutes could be crucial.

I could still have my midwife in this nearby hospital, since she also does deliveries there, but no labor tub, no relaxed home environment...

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#113 of 113 Old 08-03-2003, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

rachelmommy don't know if you noticed but we have a new thread

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sh...&threadid=78049

also was hoping to find out your official due date.

sad story, hang in there

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page