can I lift 50 pounds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I am 7 weeks pregnant and am thinking of applying for a parttime job at Ikea as a cashier. It says in the description I need to be able to lift 50 pounds. Do you think that's safe for the average, healthy pregnant woman?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 PM

You should be able to lift whatever you could before. I was working when I got pregnant last time and I had to lift things heavier than 50 pounds. It was fine for me.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:28 PM

Technically speaking, you shouldn't lift more than 25 pounds.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
You should be able to lift whatever you could before. I was working when I got pregnant last time and I had to lift things heavier than 50 pounds. It was fine for me.
Whatever a gal is use to picking up before is fine for while your preggo as long as you feel OK.

I move tons of hay while preggo, no problems, I also worked in a grocery store and lifted 60 lb again no problems. I was use to lifting heavy items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace View Post
Why do you say that?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
The rule I went with is that I shouldn't be straining to lift anything. So if you can lift 50 pounds without straining, no worries.

I don't think 50 lbs. is safe for the average healthy pregnant woman because I don't think most women can necessarily lift that much. But if you can, who cares what the average is?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I don't really know what I can lift. Well, my DD is 30 pounds and I can lift her with no problem I guess I'll have to try to find something weighing 50 pounds and see if it's a problem! Maybe I'll take a trip over to Ikea and just try to lift something and see how it feels. I imagine if someone had a little trouble and needed a hand on occasion, that woulnd't be a problem, though. Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 PM

It seems like people have varying advice on this. Here's what Dr. Spock has to say:

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5109,00.html

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I think you'll probably be fine. I had something like that when I worked for a retail company in my job description but never ended up lifting too much. As long as you can lift the type of items people are likely to put up on the belt you should be fine.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:57 PM

I wait tables and did until I gave birth last time ( I literally went into labor at work)...I don't think I lift 50 lbs, but it's over 25 for sure...I work in an italian restaurant were the actual dishes are heavy before pasta is put into them...
Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 PM

I can only tell you about what I would (or wouldnt do) in your situation....

I had no problem lifting and doing things early in pregnancy that I did before. So on that note, if you could do it before, you're probably fine... But later in pregnancy it got a lot harder for me to lift things.
Especially lift and carry things even a short distance... my growing belly got in the way and it made my balance much harder to get from point A to point B.

So, if you really want the job (and not something that may be easier on you later) go for it... just know that at some point you may not be able to fufill your duties.

Just my personal opinion
Old 10-10-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace View Post
Most pregnant mamas of toddlers are in violation of that one every day, multiple times a day.

Really, it comes down to what you're accustomed to doing already. As somebody else mentioned, you might also find that as your belly grows, center of gravity shifts, and your baby just plain gets bigger and demands more of your energy, you may find yourself unable to comfortably lift weights that seem fine to you now. I tend to start really slowing down around 30 weeks.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 AM
DBZ

I'm pretty sure my oldest was 40 lbs when I was preggo with my 2nd. It was no big deal. I also climbed ladders and lifted all sorts of stuff at work. I was used to it and my body could handle it. These days though you wouldn't catch me lifting 50lbs. However, by the time this really effects you, your company will know you are pregnant and their expectations will change, hopefully.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 AM

I don't think I could get that much around my belly after about 4 months!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:07 AM

I go by what I was comfortable lifting before pregnancy. I am also required to lift at work, and lift just the same as I did before. I just don't try to lift the 300 lb patients that are dead weight without atleast 2 other people helping. I haven't had any problems with either pregnancy due to lifting. My midwife has no problems with me continuing to lift.

You want to be a cashier? I just worry that your back and legs will hurt you after standing in the same place for long intervals of time. I know I would personally be more comfortable with a job that allows me to move around and occassionally sit. Thats just something to think about.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
I go by what I was comfortable lifting before pregnancy. I am also required to lift at work, and lift just the same as I did before. I just don't try to lift the 300 lb patients that are dead weight without atleast 2 other people helping. I haven't had any problems with either pregnancy due to lifting. My midwife has no problems with me continuing to lift.

You want to be a cashier? I just worry that your back and legs will hurt you after standing in the same place for long intervals of time. I know I would personally be more comfortable with a job that allows me to move around and occassionally sit. Thats just something to think about.
I was concerned about the standing, too but the cashiers there have hig barstool style chairs they can use, plus it's part time. Thanks for bringing that up.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
Why do you say that?
Every book I've read, and every doctor I've spoken to, whether it be from my last pregnancy or this one, has recommended not to go too far above 25 pounds, especially later in the pregnancy.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubris View Post
Most pregnant mamas of toddlers are in violation of that one every day, multiple times a day.

That's why I said technically speaking. I know I certainly don't stick to a 25 pound guideline. I TRY to, but sometimes, things need to be done and DH isn't available to help. I was just fine last time, so I imagine I'll be alright this time around, too.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:58 AM

I'm not pg now, but was not too long ago. I work at a furniture store and was concerned about what I should or shouldn't be lifting. My midwives said I could lift whatever I wanted to lift, as long as I was lifting properly(bending at the knees). You're not at risk for hurting the baby in any way by lifting, but with your balance being somewhat off, plus the extra weight in the belly, you have to be careful not to hurt your back. Of course, as soon as everyone at work knew I was pregnant they wouldn't let me lift anything. Except of course for the man (customer) who let me carry 10(!) large wicker armchairs and load them in the back of his truck when I was 8 months pregnant. What a winner he was. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. 50 lbs is a lot less than you'd think.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:04 AM

I could lift 75 lbs easy before I was pg. At 14 weeks my 5 year old fell and was crying. I lifted him up (55 pounds, totally used to it, carried him all the time but not much after became pg). I pulled my lower back and had 26 weeks of chronic hip and back pain, releaved only by giving birth. A real bummer!

So, can you? Who knows. Maybe. Maybe not.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 AM

I do some heavy lifting with my job, 50lbs sometimes. I did it easily before being pg and did it just fine while pg. I just made sure to lift with my legs. To be honest, in my third trimester it wasn't the weight that was a problem, it was the size and bulk of the items I was lifting. I had no problem with the small things that were heavy, but had more of a problem with the larger less-heavy things.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)

User Tag List