tear in placenta, about 8 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, I am trying to find any good info and support on tears in the placenta in the first trimester.
I just found out I am pregnant last Saturday :-)
I had been spotting lightly(just when wiping) and light cramping for 3 days previously and thought my erratic menstral cycle was going to start. So I did an ept test, then I went to the hospital because between my 13yr old ds and my 4 yr old dd I had an etopic pregnancy and lost my right tube., so I was nervous. Anyhoo, the hosp. confirmed my pregnancy, they had to do an internal sonogram with a tech, I saw the heartbeat and said I was fine. They assume I am about 7 weeks then, 8 weeks now. The next day I left for a brief vacation and got back Wed am.

Thursday a.m. I passed a small(huge to me tho) clot and freaked out and call my ob, who saw me later that day.
They said I had a tear in my placenta. no sex, no heavy lifting, no exercise. It might take a few months to heal and to expect more blood as it heals.

I have an offical sonogram with my ob this Friday, then next week, my first official ob appt.

Every time I wipe myself after peeing, it's so disheartening, seeing blood, 8 weeks of this is going to get the better of me!!!

anyone with any info, please help!
I tried to search this forum, but 'tear' is as common as 'placenta' ......anyone know if you can search the two words together in ""?
#2 of 5 Old 10-21-2007, 10:49 PM

Do you have a 'tear in the placenta' or a subchorionic hematoma (a separation in the walls of the placenta from the uterus, blood pools and you bleed).

If you have a subchorionic hematoma - take some heart that these are very common, extremely stressful but most (i.e. almost all) pregnancies will go to term (i.e subchorionic hematomas rarely result in a lost pregnancy - at 8 weeks, other things could cause a pregnancy to end).

Won't type too much more if I am completely off base.

(I had a subchorionic hematoma with #3 (now 21 months old, full term 8lb. baby boy) - freaked me out, stressed me out etc.

BTW - no evidence that bedrest will change whatever the end result.
#3 of 5 Old 10-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Sounds similiar to my 2nd pregnancy. It started right about 8 weeks as well. I was having spotting off and on and then bright red bleeding with a clot. I just knew I was going to lose the baby and was so upset. I didn't want to go to the ER over the weekend, so I waited it out and saw my OB Mon. They told me I could bring a tape for the ultrasound. DH wanted to, but I refused because I was so afraid there wouldn't be a heartbeat. At 10 weeks we saw a healthy squirmy babe and discovered a tear, like you mentioned.

I was told to rest, stay off my feet a bit more, pelvic rest and so forth...pretty much the same they told you.

Anyway, it healed over the next few weeks and our little one is now a fiesty 18 month old.

I know it's easier said than done and I couldn't even take my own advice, but try to relax! Chances are everything will be just fine. Hope that helps you some!
#4 of 5 Old 10-22-2007, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

thanks so much ladies

I guess I will know more this Friday and next tuesday. I plan on bringing a notebook, because I always forget things, lol
my ob said it was a tear, not the other thing, and to expect bleeding for weeks.

him saying it and me living it are two totally different things. my pregnancies were normal until delivery for my 2 kids, so this is new to me. I am also 36, soon to be 37.

anyhoo, thanks, it helps just to talk about it.

ya know, I am afraid to tell everyone and to start enjoying the pregnancy, that's what's really bothering me I guess. I haven't told my 4 yr old daughter yet. well, at least I put my finger on my feelings. thanks. :-)
#5 of 5 Old 10-22-2007, 05:59 PM

I completely know how you feel! I couldn't bring myself to tell anyone either. The best "medicine" is really seeing the U/S, a heartbeat, and a babe that's measuring well. It really helped my nerves a ton!

Wishing you a healthy pregnancy and may the rest be uneventful!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page