HELP WITH PUPPS rash! Anyone else ever had this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-24-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not a regular poster (normally just a lurker) but I NEED HELP! When I was prego with dd I had my normal itchy dry tight skin around the belly like everyone else. This pregnancy I have had the delight of developing little bumps on my calves, inside of my knees, and on my stomach. It is called PUPPS which is some abreviation (sp?) for itches like hell! Most women who get this get it in the third trimester, mine came at the end of my first and has gotten progressivly more annoying. I'm about to shove the callimine my Dr. recommend where the sun doesnt shine. he has assured me this is a very nomral thing that can only be cured with birth. I am not due till 3/2/08 but I'm pretty sure if it continues I'm going to scratch my way to my uterus. Please give me some kind of herbal remedy!

mom to dd's C (13) K (11) A (2 1/2) and for our first ds in March. ::

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#2 of 9 Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM

You definitely MUST try some dandelion root extract - it has helped me SO, SO, SO much!!!!!!!!!!

I take 3 capsules three times per day, as per the instructions on the bottle and it took about a week to really start noticing a difference, but the PUPPS started at 28 weeks and by 31 or so I was losing my mind completely. I finally tried the dandelion and here I am at 36 weeks - in much better shape! It still itches a tiny bit, but overall it's a huge improvement.

Good luck!!!!

Laurie wahm (virtual paralegal) of 3 wonderful boys (11, 9, 5). 1st by c-section for breech, 2 by VBAC (one miscarriage between child #1 and #2).

#3 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 04:01 PM

I had PUPPPS with dd, and was able to rid my body of it before the baby was born - deemed impossible by the western medical paradigm.
Internally I took dandelion and yellow dock tea (yellow dock is contraindicated in various places, so do your own research. i deemed it necessary.) to flush the liver, as well as B5 (pantothenic acid) per the rec of my midwife. I eliminated all "hot" food from my diet (garlic, onion, tomato, spicy, etc.). I utilized just about every topical remedy known to humankind. The most symptomatic relief came from coating my skin in oatmeal squish after a cool shower. I'd wrap up some oats in cheesecloth and take it into the shower, then squeeze and rub it all over and let it dry on. My ob/gyn was shocked that it went away - said he'd never heard of that before. My midwife was not shocked.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#4 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 06:03 PM

Definately go with the herbal route since it's started this early in pregnancy. It's "supposed" to not start till the third tri, but it apparently doesn't know the rules.

I had it in the 3rd and it was insane, wheeping hives and I could not wait for herbals to kick in, so I went a very medical route of oral steroids and rx strength cortizone. Those treatments are pretty severe and shouldn't be done for long term. Do a search for "PUPPP" in this forum and you'll get a lot of results.

Relief can be found AND most importantly IT DOES GO AWAY!!!!
#5 of 9 Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for your advice. The insides of my knees are litterly bleeding in the mornings from me scratching them at night. Whats amazing is the fact that it seems NO ONE has heard of this! All I hear is " Gross" or "you don't get a rash from pregnancy!". Online I'm reading about how your ob will induce you if you have it. That obviously is not an option for me at 21 weeks and want be an option for me at 39 weeks! I'm doing my best to try and have a sucessful VBAC & have no desire for my dr. to try and interfere with my bodies natural progression through pregnancy & labor more than legally necessary!

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#6 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 12:01 AM

If it is indeed PUPPP and not choleastis, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to be induced. Other than scratching your self raw, the only damage it can do is making you go nuts from itching.

Did you have a blood test done? It is indeed highly unusual for it to come this early in a 2nd pregnancy. Choleastis is not something to mess around with.
#7 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

No I have had no blood tests. He just took one look at it. Ran his hands over it and said it was PUPPS & there was a chapter on it in What to Expect. Now I'm worried!

#8 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 01:47 PM

definitely check for the liver problem (ch...)

also, check out this link for a homeopathic remedy...http://www.hpathy.com/casesnew/angela-apis.asp

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#9 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 PM

Lightbulb PUPPPs Relief

Hi PUPPPs people! If a current sufferer comes along, I thought I'd post my blog (PUPPPSRELIEF.blogspot.com). I'm a 4 time PUPPPs sufferer, so I decided to make a place where I could post about all the treatments and tips I have accumulated over the years. I also post about my story and any actual research done by the medical community that can help us learn more about this crazy rash! Hope you all find relief! ~PUPPPsMOM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page