please rethink using the term Blessingway to describe your baby shower*new info* - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh man

I just read this entire thread....all 14 pages and now that I am utterly exhausted and have to go cook some dinner I will say that I really enjoyed reading every post even the heated ones (ok especially the heated ones)

I enjoyed greatly learning about something that I was totally and utterly unfamiliar with. I had no idea there was even such a thing as a blessingway. I had a frilly stupid baby shower with lots of gifts, but the primary motivation behind that was that I couldn't afford all the stuff I need for DD and my fam was happy to help...I feel so unenlightened now!:

I will certainly never use the word blessingway to refer to, well pretty much anything now except the actual dine ceremony or ritual, which I doubt I will ever witness! If certain members don't want it said no skin off my back. I have thought about it a lot but it basically comes down to a very superficial thought process for me...

"Ok so you don't want me to use that word for a babyshower or any kind of ceremony, cool! Thanks for the heads up"

Then again I think my brain is fried from trying to read this entire thing in one sitting!

Bump bump for one of the most interesting topics I have read about on here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 10:34 PM

:

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Old 04-19-2009, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurmama8 View Post
bumpity bump

great thread, seeing a lot of this (having blessingways) on MDC lately.
I just saw the one, and I think she's Navajo!

I wonder how this caught on... I've always thought 'sprinkle' was a fun word if you don't want a 'babyshower'

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 AM

Surprisingly, your statements about baptism aren't correct.  Any baptized person can legitimately baptize another person, baby or not, including in the Catholic church.  You don't need a priest, though one is encouraged.  Same is true for marriage!  This is from an official Catholic website:

While the Church has an extended rite of Baptism which is normally celebrated, which includes roles for both parents and godparents, the essentials of that rite are two: the pouring of water over the head of the person to be baptized (or the immersion of the person in water); and the words "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

Since the form of baptism requires just the water and the words, the sacrament, like theSacrament of Marriage, does not require a priest; any baptized person can baptize another. In fact, when the life of a person is in danger, even a non-baptized person—including someone who does not himself believe in Christ—can baptize, provided that the person performing the baptism follows the form of baptism and intends, by the baptism, to do what the Church does—in other words, to bring the person being baptized into the fullness of the Church.

I had no idea that this was true until my priest mentioned it in passing at a baptism yesterday.  Really interesting.

User Tag List