What to wear ofr the birth if you don't want to wear the hosp. gown OR be naked? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2007, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those hospital gowns seem papery and not comfy AND not friendly for the first nursing or if you want skin-to-skin contact with the baby on your belly right after. I want to wear my own thing, but I guess it should be dark colored in case of blood stains, and I guess it should be like a robe or a deep unbuttonable something to gets my breasts and belly bare? Any great ideas? And what fabrics do you think...? I don't really care about the labor part, but I want to be wearing something that will faciliate bonding in babe's first day or so...Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 02:52 PM

buttons down the top as far as they'll go helps immensely. Personally I'd go with a nightie, since even without an episiotomy, it's pretty sore down there-at least it was for me. I'd bring two types, something in a light fabric and something in a heavy fabric if you're not doing a homebirth. That way you're prepared for whatever temperature they have set there. Actually I remember being really warm, like I was still pregnant.

I didn't get blood stains on anything else than my undies if a pad slipped a little. So I personally wouldn't chose something based on colour.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:56 PM

i packed some nursing tanks, very loose pants & a maternity skirt. i really liked not being in my pj's while i was in the hospital, it made me feel more "normal," and less like a patient.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:56 PM

For during birth, I have a night gown with spaghetti straps and buttons... it was really cheap... I'll start off in that... I plan to water birth, so I will also either be naked or in a tank top... after birth, I bought a nursing gown, soft cotton. Oh and yes I will have a robe.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
Old 10-28-2007, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I guess it would be good if it was a nightie, so no bottoms which wouldn't be good for the delivery. Just usually don't have button down nighties! Maybe I'll just cut a long slit down the front of a few old nighties, or find a robe...Doesn't it seem like fleece would be a bad fabric, from the way it repells water into those icky little droplets? Seems like there might be lots of fluids...
Old 10-28-2007, 03:39 PM

I bought two of these:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/LongSleev...&origin=search

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Old 10-28-2007, 03:53 PM

I'm tempted on those henleys in your link, but I'm just wondering if the buttons would really reach down far enough for easy nursing access. Plus I think I want my belly bare for the 'put infant right on mom's tummy' thing. I guess it'll be a robe...I'm so picky!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:40 PM

Have you seen the actual LD hospital gown? Mine was flannel and soft and warm and very comfy, and although I had brought my own mega tee to wear, I was glad to not worry about blood or etc. I have a flannel robe and I just wore that after the birth so nursing was no problem. I was glad I had brought several pairs of socks--I can't stand having cold feet and my first pair got goop on them.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:55 PM

I bought a flowy red dress...red in case of stains, but they really weren't an issue. In the end I hardly cared, and was comfy in the hospital gown for a while...pushing I totally didn't care and found that naked worked best (I was quite hot, sweaty). I had spent a lot of time (not a lot of $ though) thinking of what to wear, thinking there is no way I would ever want to wear the hospital gown or be naked...which is exactly what I ended up doing.

I thought this site was interesting, although pricy and not something that I am going to buy:http://www.birthinbinsi.com/index.htm

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

Old 10-28-2007, 10:09 PM

First of all, chances are VERY GOOD that you'll want to be naked by the end! I know I did (the gown HAD to come off in transition and it didn't bother me at ALL to be wandering around completely naked). It felt right by the end, esp for the skin-to-skin and first nursing you mentioned.

Second, the hospital gown is actually ok for laboring in--you won't care if it gets all bloody or messy from leaking waters, mine was big enough to be comfy, and they're usually made to come down for nursing (or can easily enough be pulled up for the birth if you want baby on your chest). I thought I'd never want to use it, but it was actually fine in the end.

For my HB this time, I'm envisioning starting out in one of dh's t-shirts and some panties, but I'm pretty sure it will all be gone by the end, esp once I hit the tub...

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 10-29-2007, 12:26 AM

I've done mens button up short sleeved shirts. Loved em. I'll likely do the same this time. They always come off sometime during labor though ! About that point I just don't care (but I homebirth, so no strangers
Old 10-29-2007, 02:06 AM

I am going to wear the same thing I wore the last two times. I bought a drawstring skirt that is the same shape as the Binsi skirt (but only about $10) and wore it with a comfy, longish sportsbra/tank. It really made laboring easy. I am bringing a couple of nursingowns and a robe with me too.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 AM

Bring Depends underwear in leiu of the pads and you don't need to worry about leaks!

I wear a pair of sweats and a button down shirt... but I also go home right after delivery.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
Old 10-29-2007, 03:11 PM

I found an awesome nightie at the Goodwill that will work perfectly. It buttons down the front, has plenty of room, and the fabric is soft but not too clingy or hot. I figure it's plenty used, so if it gets soiled, no biggie. I only wish they had more of the same. I'd totally buy a couple. I also got one of those Aimee gowns for afterward, when I feel like being comfy. I love the way it fits and I want to just wear it around the house (and out of the house) all the time. I also second the tank top and loose pants - that sounds nice and comfortable.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:48 PM

Hi there!

I have two dresses that I am going to choose from.

I have a dark blue one and a deep coloured purple one.

Both are long summer dresses that are really thin cloth, and button ALL the way down the front so they could open as a robe if I wanted full access but still wanted my bum covered.

They are thin, so I won't get hot and they will dry out fast if I get them wet in the tub. They are dark, so I won't have to worry so much about staining.

I got mine in our local market, many shops have them on sale right now.

Trin.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 PM

Even if the hospital gown provided is comfortable, there are good reasons to remain in your own clothing, including the benefit to you of wearing something familiar, and the fact that wearing non-hospital-issue clothing helps reduce the tendency of hospital staff to see the person in front of them as a patient, and helps women in labor to maintain their dignity. I've heard there's research to back that last claim - haven't seen it, but heard it from an L&D nurse.

I wore an oversized tee for each of my first two births. I labored in them at home and just popped comfy pants on to go to the hospital, then ditched the pants once there. I wasn't feeling shy, just never had an urge to remove the shirt at the hospital. After each babe was born I just lifted the shirt to nurse.

After getting cleaned up post-birth I wore soft cotton nightshirts with henley (button-down) necklines that I just left open to allow easy nursing access and plenty of snuggly mommy neck/chest.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 PM

Last time I wore a short, comfy, jersey knit cotton, spaghetti strap nightgown and although I LOVED it, I was in a hospital and ended up with an epidural and had a hard time getting my arms through the straps so I could have all the skin-to-skin contact I wanted.

This time I plan on wearing basically the same thing because it was so darn comfy, but I'm going to modify the straps so I can drop the top as far as I want when the baby is delivered. I like black so color and staining wasn't an issue.

I also had a matching super-comfy robe that I could wear if I got chilly at all.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:47 AM

I had this short nightgown that I have had forever.... like since I was 10 probably, lol. I cut the arms off a long time ago because the sleeves were too short and I didn't want to give it up. Since it is so old, the cotton is so soft and comfortable, and with the sleeves cut out I could just pop a boob out the side for nursing. Anyways, I was really comfortable and I didn't have a problem with bloodstains or anything. I'll probably wear it again in June when I deliver my second. I say go with whatever you are comfortable in!

Mommy to Layla 11/06, Eliza 5/08 and baby girl at the end of February....

Old 10-31-2007, 11:51 AM

I wore strechy maternity tank tops both times.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have no idea but I hate the hospital gown. One reason... They're ugly! I am looking for an alternative. *taking notes*

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
I have no idea but I hate the hospital gown. One reason... They're ugly! I am looking for an alternative. *taking notes*
motherhood.com has some cute gown/robe sets that would make great alternatives.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:38 PM

The hospital gown I had was snuggly and flannelly. I liked it. It had nursing openings, too. I wouldn't mind wearing something else if I found something I liked, but the hospital gown was totally fine.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 PM

Hi again Softheart!

I thought of another consideration for you (and me!).

Aren't you thinking about being okay with an epidural...?

Might want to do the hospital gown, or something not precious to you--I think they have to either have your back bare, or an open-back type gown, to get all the epidural stuff hooked up right...

Cheers!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM

I ended up labouring in sweatpants and a tanktop. And then birthed with just the tank top on. Would have birthed completely naked if there had been time to get that shirt off LOL

I thought I would care about being exposed but it actually felt better to be naked than to be constrained in a gown.

User Tag List