can I bleach my mustache? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-29-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in my first trimester and I never really thought about bleachy chemicals, but now I'm not sure.

Any info on this?

Mom to 11 y.o. lawyer, 9 y.o. actor, and 4 y.o. pilot. I believe 'em on those, too!

#2 of 15 Old 10-29-2007, 04:39 PM

I don't know what the "correct" answer here is, but personally, I wouldn't.
I was told to stay away from coloring my hair...

DH just realized I wasn't lying when I told him I was going grey...but now that I'm not dying my hair...
#3 of 15 Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

I can't remember what I did with other pregnancies! But I'm so worried about keeping this one and making sure it all goes well. On the other hand, it's looking pretty dark!

I searched re electrolysis here too and at least some felt weirded out by the electricity going through the baby like I do. I'm not sure what someone could say to make me feel that is safe.

But the bleach...will it get to the baby?

Mom to 11 y.o. lawyer, 9 y.o. actor, and 4 y.o. pilot. I believe 'em on those, too!

#4 of 15 Old 10-30-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2f3 View Post
I can't remember what I did with other pregnancies! But I'm so worried about keeping this one and making sure it all goes well. On the other hand, it's looking pretty dark!

I searched re electrolysis here too and at least some felt weirded out by the electricity going through the baby like I do. I'm not sure what someone could say to make me feel that is safe.

But the bleach...will it get to the baby?
Just shave it off with a razor. Don't worry, it doesn't really grow back darker and fuller like a man's mustache.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#5 of 15 Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM

Try using Hydrogen Peroxide, works for me!
#6 of 15 Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 AM

or you could wax it

Married 6/16/01 ~ WOHM to DS1 4/29/06 and DS2 2/13/08 ~  ALMOST an RVT ~ dog2.gif dog2.gif goldfish.gif

#7 of 15 Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 AM

I decided against bleaching while I'm pregnant but I can't remember exactly why.

No way I'd ever shave my face though! Waxing is the way to go - if you can't get it done professionally, try this. I got it at walmart and it works really well. No heating or smearing goopy wax, no strips, no mess.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#8 of 15 Old 10-30-2007, 11:18 AM

Anything that touches your skin goes straight into your blood stream in about 30 seconds, that includes shampoo, hair dye, makeup yadda yadda yadda. So , I wouldn't recommend it. I second waxing, painful for a moment and then you don't have to worry about it for awhile!

Tiffany partner to Charlie and Mama to DS Ciaran (1/08) and DS Finnian (4/11)
Adding a third in July!

#9 of 15 Old 10-30-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmoro311 View Post
Try using Hydrogen Peroxide, works for me!
How? Just dab it on?

I just can't wax. I've heard too much info about how facial hair in particular will grow back thicker. Not worth the risk for me.

#10 of 15 Old 10-30-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2f3 View Post
How? Just dab it on?

I just can't wax. I've heard too much info about how facial hair in particular will grow back thicker. Not worth the risk for me.
I've never heard or experienced that with waxing! If anything, with regular long term waxing, it thins out a bit!

OT, I'm totally a fan of (non-pregnant) electrolysis...I went from a heavy-for-a-woman dark mustache to a barely noticeable if I do nothing for months!
#11 of 15 Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 PM

I would not. It is not good to do it and specially not on the first trimester.
Waxing will NOT make hair grow back thicker especially not if done over 9 months only. In Spain where I am from everybody waxes - the hair thicker thing must be a myth. Like the previous poster said if anything it comes thinner and takes more time to grow. Now it does grow back thicker if you do it with a razor.
#12 of 15 Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM

Wax it for sure. At the natural food store I shop at they have these little waxing strips that I use and they are perfect. No muss, no fuss, but just a little pain. I forget what they are called.

Mom to Elena 5/08 & George 8/09.
#13 of 15 Old 10-31-2007, 01:55 AM

Okay I have to ask, so what's wrong with just shaving it? Everyone seems to prefer waxing, but IMO that just costs money, even if you do it yourself. And unlike shaving, it takes some skill to get it right. Seems like it's faster, easier and cheaper to just shave it. It grows back the same way whether you wax or shave. I've been doing it for years and years. I've never thought much of it until now...now I feel a little freakish about it

What an interesting conversation we are having here

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#14 of 15 Old 10-31-2007, 09:42 AM

Like others have mentioned, the long term effects of waxing are that hair is finer and more sparse because it pulls the hairs out by the root. I've never seen or heard of the opposite effect.

IME with shaving, the hair grows back in thicker. I know that's supposed to be an old wives' tale but my legs tell me differently! MamaKalena, to answer your question, I personally wouldn't want to risk having stubble on my face between shavings. I have no idea what your circumstances are - maybe you just have peach fuzz that isn't really affected by shaving. But I know several women who shave their faces and I can definitely tell 1) that they shave and 2) when they're slacking off! : I don't think DIY waxing kits are more expensive than razors or require more skill. Of course, I'm terrified of having a razor near my face so that's a level of skill I don't have. Sorry to make you "feel freakish about it" - I'd say just go with works for you!

#15 of 15 Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 AM

Oh and home bleaching kits use hydrogen peroxide as the active ingredient. It's safe in small doses but it is rocket fuel.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page