Mothering Forum banner

August Mamas, Thread 6, The Home Stretch

3K views 114 replies 22 participants last post by  kaje62 
#1 ·
I am tempted to switch clinics on Monday. Wouldn't that be something. In my VBAC book, there are stories of women that switched a few days before giving birth. We have been doing blood pressure checks at home and it is a bit lower at home. And no creeping numbers as of yet.

It has been a hard weekend. I just feel sad which bums me out. We snuck to our small Zoo yesterday for 90 minutes. As we were walking the parking lot, I thought what if I run into one of my midwives? Tee hee. Doesn't walking help bring labor on? Or should I go lay on my couch. Just kidding. I sat 1/2 the time at the zoo while dh and ds went into buildings etc. I know my limits. And I think the zoo and MOA and getting Charlie's haircut is all a part of nesting for me. I have cleaned drawers too. Dh brings them to me when I am on the couch. Ain't that funny?

#3 ·
Kaje62,

If you have other options, I think it would be worth considering making a switch to other midwives/clinics. I have heard of mamas switching days before birth. You have the right to feel confident and comfortable withyour birth attendents...

Thanks for posting our arrivals and due dates together! So sweet to see all this waiting and work ending in such a sweet reward!

Traixa2,
How are you feeling? That would be cool if you went into labor this weekend and then had no need for that u/s on Monday!

Hope everyone else is well! Our thread is pretty quiet, I wonder if we have some mamas in laborland?

#5 ·
Kaje~I'm so frustrated along with you...if they want to induce your labour, then why not let you do the things you want to do? If baby comes out of it, then at least it was done naturally?
Personally, I'm doing things that I wasn't supposed to do, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to enjoy my last few wks. We were good, we kept our babies in, now we are full term, if baby comes, it's all good, right?
Trust yourself, and if you need to change clinics, then hey, go for it. Sounds to me like you're not getting consistent info, and that just makes me mad!!!!
to you...your strength knows no boundaries!!!
So, I really thought labour would start for me last night, had a LOT of pink show in my undies yesterday, and I've done a lot of walking and even made love to my husband a few times, which was nice, we haven't been able to for so long!!!!
My parents kept Soleil overnight last night, and it was nice just being the two of us...

There is so much activity with our August mamas...I responded yesterday, took so much time, and had a great big post, then I lost it when I went to post, cause it took me so long and I had been kicked off the server.! ARGH! I was a little upset about that!!!
Anyway, it's a long weekend here in Canada, our festival has pretty much been rained out...no airshow..the planes couldn't take off from the airport cause it was too foggy...it was disappointing. SO, I'm not sure if they will now do it today or not. I'm not sure I"m up to going again...guess I'll play it by ear.
Have a good day everyone...and who's next????

Mamasoleil

#7 ·
Kaje, I just don't see what the problem is...your due date is RIGHT around the corner! I fully support your decision to get out and do some of those things that you want to do!...including switching clinics!

We went to a baseball game last night and I was SURE that climbing up all those stairs to get to our seats was going to induce labor! I also had spicey food for dinner. Oh well. No such luck. (But I was glad that my water didn't break at the game!)

#8 ·
laid around this morning while dh made waffles etc. now heading to the farmers market. i have had like teeny stainy in my undies this week, btw, i know tmi, but maybe this is something.

i have to quit stressing about this and relax to make it happen.

#9 ·
kaje, that is NOT tmi!! I think all of us know and completely understand HOW exciting those little stains are at this point in the journey.

baby shower went wonderfully, However, I got stopped in a roadblock by the state patrol on the way there. Ladies, I am the MOST lawabiding kinda gal there is. i am always SO on top of things. Well as I stopped my car, I realized my purse with my DL was left at home. My car was full of baby shower decorations and dd was strapped into her seat behind me.

The the officer tells me my tags are expired!!! WHAT!!!! So then I have the AWFUL realization that I never got a tag renewal form in the mail. With our business, I have to purchase SOO many licenses and pay so many fees, that one just never occured to me. So my tags have been expired since April!!!! Dh's too!!!

I started bawling, and mentioned that I was on my way to my baby shower. When the officer saw my belly he said, "Ok have a good day m'am" It did not register to me. So I kept saying, I can go home nad get my purse and look for a tag reciept". THen he says "OK we will see you LATER!!!!"

I got the picture!!! Looks like I am paying some fines for not renewing on my bday. ugh!!! But at least I did not have to pay a ticket! for no license and no registration. Thank god for being pregnant!

Shower was nice, I am so tired and nesting is still here because after the shower we went and helped a friend move. I got to fold and pack bedsheets and stuffed animals!!! Then when we got home at 10pm I cleaned a kitchen, mopped the floor, sorted tomatoes and washed diapers.

Getting close!!!

#10 ·
Kaje62-
I will be glad to keep on top of posting our wonderful arrivals once you have your bundle! After all, I am the last Aug. mama!
: I will be here for awhile!

So exciting that you have some show in your undies!

Mamasoleil,
You too! Bloody show is so exciting! At least you guys know that your cervix has already started to thin/dilate. Let's see those mucous plugs!!!

I think that is super that you and dh had some quiet time and got to have some intimacy. I just don't feel like it lately. My dh keeps (gently
: ) reminding me that we had sex a couple of times a week up until the night before dd was born. I keep reminding him that was before we had any kiddos! I know that we need to spend some time cuddling/making love because I REALLY won't feel like it for awhile after baby. Too intense and too in love with new babe to think about sex postpartum...

Sharon,
That is great that you are staying so active. Climbing all those stairs is sure to have helped baby squeeze in a little closer into your cervix...

Chanley,
Happy baby shower! I am glad you had fun! What a sweet officer you had stop you, too. It is about time we heard a story about someone treating a very pregnant mama how she deserves to be treated. I had two cars speed past me in a parking lot on Friday... It would have been so nice if they would have let me cross in front of them since I was lugging groceries, a 30 pound toddler, and a baby inside!

#11 ·
Our thread is pretty quiet!! I am sure some of us are in labor by this time!! It's pretty exciting!
I just came back from local hospital with my DH - we took a tour so we know what to expect if I have to go there. I am planning HB, but wanted to feel confident about the hospital too. And I have to say I was pleasanlty surpised. It's very nice and they seem to be very flexible on your needs. So we got home and wrote a birth plan and have to have it signed by our pediatrician.
I am 37 weeks today!! And feel like everything has stopped.....not too many BH, not really any discomfort, just tired. It's almost weird.
:
:
But I am so BORED!!!!

#12 ·
Just wanted to post in and say hello to all other Aug. mamas.

I'm definitely nesting and getting very anxious for baby to arrive. A little nervous also, don't know how I'll handle a newborn & ds....
I'm sure I'll make it through though.
All of you other wonderful moms out there give me inspiration!

Here's to quick & enjoyable births for us all.

#13 ·
Wow there are a ton of posts since I last looked. I'm barely making it through them all.

I'm concerned about tandem nursing and co-sleeping as well. DD was down to nursing once or twice a day, in the morning and at nap time. I've kind of given in to her and let her nurse as much as she wants now hoping it will help with labor induction but I've created a nursing monster. She wants to nurse all the time now and can be very demanding. Now I wonder if I should be cutting back to 1-2 times a day before baby comes or just continue as we are since I know she'll want to nurse more when she sees the baby doing it. On a side note, she said to me the other day "I want to be little so I can nurse more." Made me all sentimental and of course let her nurse all day.

Is anyone else eating like crazy? I notice some of you are having a hard time finding something to eat, so not me!! I think I'm just eating so much as a coping mechanism since I'm way too over eager to have the baby.

Wooby, my actual due date is August 6th if you want to put it on your list.

The baby has not been very active today which concerns me a little bit. Up to now it has been a wild child but it seems like its more still than moving. Hopefully it is just getting tired of being so cramped and wants to come out

#14 ·
I'm sitting here gorging on chocolate. I can't help myself, but the heartburn will be payback enough. I just don't have the enrgy to do anything. I got the vacuum out of the closet two hours ago and I just ..can't ..do.. it. Doing dishes stinks. I can't reach the stupid sink, and when I force it, I end up with big creepy looking divets in my belly.

I'm so jealous of all you "pink show" people. I'd like some clue that things are going to start..sometime. I keep talking to the baby, saying, it's o.k., it's time.

Honestly, I feel like I'm playing a game of musical chairs. Wishing for the perfect time for labor to start. Ya know, when you sleep fairly well, eat a good breakfast, and think, "right now would be perfect". Then there's the swing side, when you're tired, finally got the other kid(s) to sleep, and want nothing more than to crawl into your bed. Then you're thinking, "Please no labor for at least 5 hours.

Oh well. Nothing I can do about it. I'm calmer about waiting for it now. After all, it's August. So I know it will be happening this month for sure. I've been rereading Ina May's Childbirth book. Gets ya back in the right frame of mind. Although, for anyone who has read it, call me a prude, but I'd totally freak if some woman stripped to her undies to climb on top of me and "share my birth energy". Dude, step back.

I ate all the chocolate. Sorry baby. I won't do it again. Now I feel guilty

#15 ·
Hi all -

I realize that my due date isn't on that above list. it's 8/17.

I also realize that I posted on the older thread. So I"m just going to retype what I wrote there, and I hope that I can get some support from you all.

I am planning a home birth - the pregnancy is going really just fine, all "looks good." But I heard a terrible story of a family who was birthing with my midwife. All was looking good for her, too, the fetal monitoring, the labor in general. (I don't know all of the details of course). The baby was born, and they all knew it just didn't look right. The midwives attempted resusitation while waiting for EMS. The get to the hospital, and the baby couldn't be saved.

Of course I don't know all of the details, but couldn't it be that the baby could have been saved in the hospital. Those 10-20 minutes are truly crucial. The baby could have been intubated, or more emergency resusitation techniques could have been done.

So of course now I'm worried...what if I'm one of those rare cases of a true emergency. Prolapsed cord, for example. Sure, the midwives can stick their hand in and push back the cord, but wouldn't it be just much better if that were the case and I were in the hospital?

I hope I don't scare anyone else out there. I'm just really now thinking is home birth worth the risk? I have my birth plan and my midwife can admit me to then nearby hospital. She can manage the entire thing since she's got admitting priviledges there. But, there would be no labor tub allowed (against hospital rules...lame I know), and I would inevitably be not as comfortable in the hospital, will be just "another patient" on the L&D floor and will have to work hard to have my out of the ordinary needs met there.

I want to have my home birth, but if god forbid something terrible happened (because risk is still there!) I don't want to look back on it and say I should have done it differently.

I know if I got to the hospital I run the risk of more interventions, etc. but 1. I'll be with my wonderful midwife, and she'll only recommend this if abolutely necessary and 2. Wouldn't it be better to know that in terms of an emergency, truly the best place to be is the hospital, and who cares if I have an intervention, as long as my baby is alive?

My husband (he doesn't want to be called DH, he told me!) is completely supportive of my, and said all of the things in support of my having a homebirth, but I could still use more support and feedback. Thanks.

BTW, our labor tub arrived Friday and I am excited to use it.

Rachel

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Luckymomma

Oh well. Nothing I can do about it. I'm calmer about waiting for it now. After all, it's August. So I know it will be happening this month for sure. I've been rereading Ina May's Childbirth book. Gets ya back in the right frame of mind. Although, for anyone who has read it, call me a prude, but I'd totally freak if some woman stripped to her undies to climb on top of me and "share my birth energy". Dude, step back.

Yes, just a little TOO much assistance thanks!!

#17 ·
goll we are having corn on the cob. green beans and organic polish sausage for dinner and now i want to have a hershey bar first. guess who is in trouble

okay new list. wooby come and take over anytime i get slacking.

User Name, Arrival Date, Other info

Seagan, Leo George 7/9, 5 lbs

Colorful Mama, Roman Thomas (Romy), vbac 7/24, 7lbs 2.2oz, 19 1/2" long

Birdwomyn, Samuel James Bird, 7/25, 6lbs 3 ozs, 19 1/4" long

Nostrow, Annika Paige, 7/30, 6 lbs 14 oz, 19"

Due Dates: (Thanks Wooby)
traixa2-Aug. 4
Lucky Momma-Aug. 6
Juliem-Aug. 6
TLS-Aug. 6
Kaje62-Aug. 8
Mavis-Aug. 9
natesmommy126-Aug. 10
Willow Tree-Aug. 11
laurag-Aug. 11
Emah-Aug. 11
Sharon-Aug. 13
maizy-Aug. 13
Annais-Aug. 15
JuicyLucy-Aug. 15
Mamasoleil-Aug. 15
ApMommaof5-Aug. 16
Tnrsmom-Aug. 17
RachelMolly Aug. 17
Kate42-Aug. 17
Smeta-Aug. 18
Lilg127- Aug. 21
Isaiah's Mama- Aug. 21
Mamabeard-Aug. 23
Pavlina-Aug. 24
Dreamweaver-Aug. 24
mpls_momma-Aug. 24
Chanley-Aug. 29
skye's mama-Aug. 29
Wooby- Aug. 31

#19 ·
Tls,
Pregnant and tandem nursing is such a personal choice/issue based on you and your nurslings needs, but you and I seem to be doing the same things. I just let dd nurse whenever she wants. She has a STRONG need to suck for comfort and was just devastated when I tried to cut back when my milk was gone and my nipples were soooo sore
. (By cut back I mean popping her off in the middle of the night.) So, anyway, we made it through and now colostrum is in and I feel so much better. I am hoping she will continue to nurse after babe is born as I have heard from so many mamas that it can ease the transition as my dd is just 26 months. I just finished reading the new book from LLL called "Adventures in Tandem Nursing." It is the first book out that I have seen about pregnant and tandem bf and it is super! Written with a true sense of humor with lots of useful tips. Here is a link:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/books/tandem.html

Posted by Luckymomma,
I second Juicylucy's reaction:

Quote:
I've been rereading Ina May's Childbirth book. Gets ya back in the right frame of mind. Although, for anyone who has read it, call me a prude, but I'd totally freak if some woman stripped to her undies to climb on top of me and "share my birth energy". Dude, step back.
I also laughed out loud when I read that part!

Kaje62,
Sounds like you had a yummy dinner! Thanks for updating the due dates.

Rachelmolly
Homebirth/hospital birth is a very personal decision that only you can make. You mentioned that intubation may have saved your friend's babe. My midwife is trained to do this and carries the equipment with her. I though they all did? (My midwife is a lay mw, not a cnm) Find whatever choice brings you peace and go with that.

#20 ·
Hey Rachel Molly, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Most of us have a "birth demon" to confront at some point. But honestly, that's all you can do. Confront it, face it, and move on. Life and birth offer no guarantees, but they both involve a whole lotta trust. Trust in ourselves and our capabilities, and trust in the natural process. As a soon to be vbac'er, I've had to deal with a lot of past issues as well, is my pelvis big enough?,will I rupture?, etc.. My instincts say I'm going to do great, and everything is going to go fine. What do your instincts tell you about your baby and your birth?Trust those instincts and enjoy that birth tub!!

#21 ·
Luckymomma, It's still (barely) Aug. 3 here...just noticed it's your anniversary! Happy anniversary!

RachelMolly, I'm birthing in a birth center with a midwife. I have a friend who is due in Sept who is birthing in the hospital with an OB because she's just really freaked out about something bad happening. When we first talked about it, I wanted to try to convince her that my way is better/safer. But the more we talked, the more I realized that she has to birth wherever she is mentally more comfortable. She has a friend who had a rough birth and she cant' get that out of her mind. I don't think she'd be able to relax unless she was in the hospital. To each her own. I really believe that you'll have the best birth possible in the place where you feel safe and comfortable. So don't feel pressured to be one place or another. Choose what's best for you...your heart will tell you.

up too late...g'night all!

#22 ·
So I am a go to work mama and have planned on working up to the day the baby is born so I can have my full 12 weeks maternity leave with the baby. This morning I woke up just miserable and since I had been calling in sick the past 3 Mondays and really only working 2-3 days a week I decided to start my leave today. I'm bummed since I really want as much time off with the baby, but I'm also relieved. I think one of my biggest reasons for wanting the baby to come so soon is that I didn't want to go back to work. Now I feel more relaxed since I made the decision, and am not as caught up in wanting this baby to be born ASAP. I still hope it comes soon so I can have as much time off as possible, but I'm not a stress case
. I was also pretty worried about going into labor at work. I work with all men, and they were not going to be much help if I did start labor. Now I can be confident I'll go into labor at home where I am happy and comfortable.

#23 ·
To all of you working mamas out there. I would love to express my deepest respect for you!! Really, I can NOT imagine going to work while being pregnant! I think you are fantastic and extremely strong people! I wish you all the best of luck, healhy and beautiful babies and lots of rest!

#24 ·
Hi All-
Today I am officially one week from my due date. I am starting to get a little nervous. I have had such resolve about really going for a natural birth this time (last time I was induced, had drugs, forceps, the whole nine yards). But now that it is getting close I am starting to have those creeping doubts. What if I cave in and get the drugs? What if I don't stick to my wishes about certain things and let myself get pushed around by the staff agin? I have a doula this time and Dh and I have had lengthy conversations about what we want/don't want so I know I will have more support. I guess I am just starting to get nervous about it all. Everything is going great though, no signs of labor for me yet but I am ready any time!!

#25 ·
TLS-
Enjoy your time off before babe arrives! Good for you for being decisive! I bet your babe will oblige you with a birth this week so you can have lots of time together! Until then, REST if your other babies will let you!
:

Laurag,
Sounds as if you are really prepared for this birth by talking at length with dh so he can be your advocate and by having a doula. I think that those two things will come together to help ensure the birth that you want! A loving supportive woman can make a huge difference! Try to address each of your fears and then picture your birth going exactly as you want it!

I also have alot of baggage from my first birth. Each night I try to envision this birth but each night I fall asleep before I get too far into the imagery. Well, last night I had a vivid dream about the birth. I was talking to my midwives, feeling the pain, and getting through it! WOW! It was very empowering and I feel like my mind is finally getting around this birth. Good luck to you!

#26 ·
Just got back from the U/S, baby is doing just fine. The estimated weight is a whopping 8 1/2 lbs! 3 Lbs more than the barely 5 3wks ago.....all that worry about nothin'.
Any way, EDD today, drinking RRL tea (iced ofcourse
)
Hope every one is relaxing and keeping cool....
Kate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.