Hypothyroidism = high risk pregnancy??? *UPDATE* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I'm overreacting, but I am so aggravated with my new OB's office. I just switched drs and the nurse I met with says I'm high risk because I'm hypothyroid. They want me to come in for weekly appointments (I'm only 18 weeks along) and get a level 2 ultrasound. I'm on medication and my levels are stable. What's the deal? I've never heard of such a thing, and this is my 4th pregnancy. I know that untreated hypothyroidism does pose pregnancy risks, but I am being treated and closely monitored. I am not comfortable with a lot of medical interventions and am afraid that a bright red folder labeled "HIGH RISK" makes it more likely that I'll be subjected to various unnecessary testing and interventions. Has anyone else experienced this?

**UPDATE***

Just wanted to share the good news! I met with the dr, and she was fantastic. She dismissed all the extra testing with a wave of her hand, gave me a big hug and wished me a happy birth! She exact words were, "Frankly, women have been having babies for more than just a few years. Pregnancy is a natural process, not a disease." Unless I have a problem, I won't be seeing her again--no glucose testing, no u/s, no non-stress tests, nothing!! (Of course, my thyroid levels will be carefully monitored by the dr who is managing my hypothyroidism.)
#2 of 11 Old 10-31-2007, 01:56 PM

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but because I worked for the doc it's not written anywhere...my OB, PCP, and midwife don't even know - no one's ever asked and I never really think about it.

I don't know enough about it to tell you not to worry at all, but "high risk" sounds a little over the edge to me!

Hugs to you and good luck whatever you do!
#3 of 11 Old 10-31-2007, 02:10 PM

I am hypo although right now I am swinging to hyper. I am actually going for a sono today to rule out twins as my supressed TSH tends to happen more often in twin pregnancies. Anyway as long as your levels are being monitored often I don't have one clue why you would go everyweek. That seems ridiculous. Maybe a change of provider is in order.
#4 of 11 Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 PM

Hmmmm, that's odd. I'm hypothyroid - long before my first pregnancy, even - and I've never been considered high risk (different OBs in different States). They just test my blood every couple of months to make sure my levels are staying stable.
#5 of 11 Old 10-31-2007, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad that you guys are validating what I've been feeling. I've been hypo for 8 yrs and through 4 pregnancies and never ever experienced this.

I just switched drs so I could see the same back-up OB as I had with my son (planning another homebirth with a midwife). I suspect (and hope!) that the nurse is just overreacting and the dr will straighten it all out. The OB herself is very laid back and midwife-like (she's even knelt down to catch a baby when the woman wanted to squat on the hosp floor to deliver--and she thought it was an awesome experience!). Unfortunately I have to go through a bunch of this stuff before I can actually talk to the dr. I am thinking about "re-scheduling" the u/s until after my appt with the dr and just hoping that the receptionist won't notice what I'm doing.
#6 of 11 Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM

I'm hypothyroid and definitely not high risk. I had a homebirth with my first and I'm having another one in March.

Do you have Graves' Disease? I'm hypo because I no longer have a thyroid. If you have Graves', then there are certain antibody levels which could make you high risk. I went through this at 38 weeks when my antibody levels came back above normal and I had to get a level II ultrasound to see if the baby had a goiter. So no, being hypothyroid does not make you high risk but there could be other reasons why your doctor sees you as high risk.
#7 of 11 Old 10-31-2007, 03:57 PM

I'm hypo and no one has ever suggested that it made me high risk. I do go into the endocrinologist every 2 months to get my thyroid levels checked, but that is it.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#8 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerawo View Post
I'm hypothyroid and definitely not high risk. I had a homebirth with my first and I'm having another one in March.

Do you have Graves' Disease? I'm hypo because I no longer have a thyroid. If you have Graves', then there are certain antibody levels which could make you high risk. I went through this at 38 weeks when my antibody levels came back above normal and I had to get a level II ultrasound to see if the baby had a goiter. So no, being hypothyroid does not make you high risk but there could be other reasons why your doctor sees you as high risk.
Nope, no Grave's Disease here and no autoimmune problems. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the nurse doesn't like the idea of homebirth and was trying to pressure me out before I can even see the dr (who is very agreeable with backing up homebirth). She did a lot of talking about immunizations, birth defects, and testing, testing, testing. Case in point--she also wanted me to get more frequent glucose testing since I have a distant relative with diabetes--who doesn't?! I have an appt with the OB on the 14th and I think a lot of things will get straightened out then.
#9 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 02:42 PM

Totally agree with pp's. I'm hypo (autoimmune form) and was fine through 1st pregnancy. Levels were off this time through week 20 and MW just referred me to my Endo to be monitored, but no mention of high-risk. I had been going monthly, now every 3-wks. I think I start going every 2-wks now (starting at 33wks).

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#10 of 11 Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Friendly bump for my update in post #1
#11 of 11 Old 11-15-2007, 11:14 AM

Great news! That nurse was a little overzealous! Sounds like your doctor is great

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page