Pregnant with #1 in our 30s ~November~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry Dee!
I am just so used to hearing from you on our thread! I am still wishing you good thoughts!

Oh, I had a patron actually touch my belly today. I pushed her hand away and explained that it was not appropriate and she should always ask permission before touching someone. I think she was offended that I was offended. Ughhh! It is enough that I work with the public 40 hours a week, but my body is NOT public property. I don't think she meant any ill will, but I had to set her straight. Yesterday, I had a patron say, "You ain't had that baby yet!?"--how rude, right?

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
#62 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybama View Post
Sorry Dee!Yesterday, I had a patron say, "You ain't had that baby yet!?"--how rude, right?
And so it begins... sigh...

Just wanted to pop on and tell the good news! GBS negative! Woohoo!
#63 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Down on my hands and knees with soapy water and a sponge last night scrubbing baseboards, the dirt on the walls, etc. It was very satisfying! Does this mean I'll be in labor soon? What's my time frame once I officially start cleaning floors and such? Anyone?
OMG! I did that like on Tuesday and went into labor on Wednesday. Cleaned the bathroom and kitchen floor/baseboards THOROUGHLY.

Which is good... as it was the last time those floors were "cleaned" beyond a quick swipe with the broom.

I'm stalking Dee and Baby Groover... also I miss this thread and the rest of you.
#64 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 02:57 PM

Oh, congrats Julia!

Wow, Aimee. Good for you for standing up for yourself when that person touched you.
#65 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, I had a patron actually touch my belly today. I pushed her hand away and explained that it was not appropriate and she should always ask permission before touching someone. I think she was offended that I was offended. Ughhh! It is enough that I work with the public 40 hours a week, but my body is NOT public property. I don't think she meant any ill will, but I had to set her straight. Yesterday, I had a patron say, "You ain't had that baby yet!?"--how rude, right?
I haven't had that yet but I am totally prepared to push away anyones hand who comes near my belly and doesn't belong to DH, my Mum or ask first.

Aimee: Funny story: I used to work at Starbucks and had a customer come in one morning and say "So, aren't you married yet?" but he was a regular and knew that I was getting married - he just said it in such a rude way that the people in the lineup behind him all had shocked looks on their face - but not as funny as his expression when he realized how rude it sounded and started stammering "I just mean, I know it is soon..." he felt bad but I often had rude customers who didn't know they were being rude. Your patron was totally being rude.

So, DH just started training for a new job this week which means he will be unable to come to the 18 week ultrasound next week. I'm kinda bummed about this but I couldn't get the time changed so we agreed its best if he doesn't leave work early in his second week. My Mum and Sister both want to come but my sister is kind of driving me nuts with all of her advice and her talk about how much she wants it to be a girl - I don't want to find out. Do you think they will be able to tell the sex of the baby during this ultrasound?

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

#66 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
Aww thanks for the labor vibes girls - I'm gonna bottle them up & save them for when I'm actually in labor. :

Wondering what the OB will say this morning at my appointment... patience is wearing thin! I'll update later today.
Sorry you aren't in labor yet, but I guess this means I could still win the poll!!! Come on Nov 07!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
dee - beware the membrane sweep (unless you want it done).
Yeah. I was just going to say this. I suspect I got a membrane sweep at my last midwife appt (even though I didn't ask for it - of course I didn't say don't do it either because it never occured to me that a midwife would sweep me w/o permission!) - I was 40 weeks. I went into labor that night.

Quote:
Sorry Dee!
Oh my. I can't believe some people just feel like they can tough pregnant bellies. So annoying. Fortunately this never happened to me - people always asked first. Good for you standing up for your personal space. WTG mama!!!
#67 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 03:30 PM

Dee I was hoping yesterday that your lack of posts meant BabyGroover was on the way too, hang in there!

Julia when is your due date? I keep forgetting because you don't have a signature.

On belly touching, I get this all the time now. Most people ask but some don't and it really freaks me out when it's a stranger.

I'm doing pretty good, some days I have a lot of energy but some days I can barely keep my eyes open all day long. I sleep on the train on the way to and from work and sleep again when I get home but I can't get a good night sleep during the night because of having to pee all the time and because my hips are starting to hurt. I'm also outgrowing all the mat clothes that I thought would last me through to the end, where are the 3rd tri clothes hiding? Do they not know we get bigger than the cute 2nd tri bellies? The worst was trying to find a coat to wear since I'm due at the end of Jan and our winters are pretty brutal around that time. I tried on one at the Gap and it wouldn't close and had about three inches between the zippers ALREADY! That's my major gripe these days.
#68 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJen View Post
The worst was trying to find a coat to wear since I'm due at the end of Jan and our winters are pretty brutal around that time.
I got this coat from Old Navy, I ordered it online and had it shipped. I have a lot of room still in it at 6 months, so hopefully it will still give me room when i'm bigger!

I tried on just regular plus size coats, but those didn't give me any extra room to grow at all.
#69 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubie View Post
I got this coat from Old Navy, I ordered it online and had it shipped. I have a lot of room still in it at 6 months, so hopefully it will still give me room when i'm bigger!

I tried on just regular plus size coats, but those didn't give me any extra room to grow at all.
I saw that one online and went looking for it in the stores but they didn't have it up here. :
#70 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 04:04 PM

Yea, they didn't have it at my stores either, but you can order it and if you don't like it you can return it to your local store instead of shipping it back.

I don't even think my local ON has any maternity, I ordered some maternity sweaters too.
#71 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 PM

Sarah, nice to see you! I'm due 11/23 but my midwife's birth assistant (and my Bradley teacher) both say that 41 is the typical length for first pregnancies, which will be 11/30. (sigh) So I won't start getting anxious til December I guess... if I can help it...
#72 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
Yeah. I was just going to say this. I suspect I got a membrane sweep at my last midwife appt (even though I didn't ask for it - of course I didn't say don't do it either because it never occured to me that a midwife would sweep me w/o permission!) - I was 40 weeks. I went into labor that night.
Me too. I was 40 weeks and 4 days. Although I actually wanted a sweep, but hadn't gotten around to asking the midwife to do one when she just helped herself. Went into labor that night and had Maya the next morning.

Dee, sending you ELVs just in case I don't make it back in here for the big day!
#73 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 PM

Aimee, don't apologize, I appreciate you thinking about me! : You rock for telling your patron to back off too. That's awesome.

And the verdict is... no cervical progress. : I don't know why I set myself up for these things. On the way there I was visualizing dilation of 2-3cm even though I knew it was crazy. I haven't been having contractions! So in the span of like 24 hours I've gone from cool & collected to worried about induction. I don't know why - I'm sure it's irrational. On a positive note, I really love my OB. I'm almost certain he didn't sweep the membranes. It's not his style, and I haven't been having any bleeding or cramping. I don't really care either way at this point. Today is my due date according to his calculations, so he came in the room singing "Happy Due Date To You" which I thought was cute. After he checked me he said "so what do we do?" I asked the question back at him & he said "I asked you first." Haha. So I said we wait, and he said ok I'll see you next week. So there is NO pressure to induce and my fear is entirely unfounded, but still there. The baby's in proper position, ready to go so we just have to wait for her to be ready. I treated myself to a massage afterwards and it was wonderful.

Julia yay for being GBS-! Reading about how you've been nesting made me realize that my own nesting has been feel woefully inadequate. You inspired me to vacuum all that stuff I've been wanting to and even cleaned under the bed and mopped the bedroom floor. Can I have my baby now?

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#74 of 301 Old 11-06-2007, 09:04 PM

nak
Dee Sorry about no progress. If you aren't crampy/bleeding then you didn't get swept. Sounds like your OB is one of the good one I am so proud of you for letting your DD chose her own b-day, it just goes to show what a good mommy you already are to her. Hang in there sweetie. As Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part".
#75 of 301 Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Dee, you are going to do great! And know that all these women are sending you strength, encouragement, and lots of acronyms about gentle healthy positive labor that I can't keep up with....
Your daughter sounds like the sort of strong woman we all aspire to have. She'll show up when she's darn good and ready...
#76 of 301 Old 11-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Sarah I also wanted to mention that it's completely normal to outgrow your mat clothes at the third tri. I was devasted, just sure I was getting fat, fat, fat... til I saw how many others in my DDC (and on this thread) who experienced exactly the same thing. Annoying, expensive, yes... but totally normal.

Dee how are you feeling? Are you sleeping ok? I'm starting to have a harder and harder time falling asleep... mostly I'm just getting so excited to meet my baby! And my mind is racing with stuff I want to get done in the next two weeks!
#77 of 301 Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Trizzle are you new? I checked the list and I don't see you on it anywhere! However, I seem to be missing lots of things that are right in front of me these days so maybe I missed you.

Last May I got a really terrible haircut. Basically the stylist took 15 minutes and did the exact opposite of what I asked so I have been afraid to get my hair cut since (she thinned it and gave me really short layers: two things you should never do with curly hair like mine which is already thin). Anyway, today I go for a hair cut with someone I actually went for a consultation with last week (no more surprise meetings for me!) and I am SUPER nervous. I feel so ridiculous being this nervous but I am - I've barely done any work all morning.

I finally got off my butt and started calling around for Doulas. DH and I are meeting with one on Saturday and she sounded great on the phone and has worked with my doctor's delivering group before although not directly with my doctor. (They are a group of 8 female GPs who deliver). I feel so proud of myself now that I have finally done something baby-related.

#78 of 301 Old 11-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Sarah I agree it's totally normal to outgrow mat clothes in the 3rd tri. I have mat tops 2 sizes bigger than I normally wear that I saved for the end of pregnancy, and now they won't even cover the bottom of my belly. So when I (rarely) go out in public now I wear Bella bands to cover the gap. I guess the only thing you can do is buy things bigger than you ever imagined! Sorry I don't have any suggestions for mat coats - I guess you've checked out Motherhood & Mimi already?

Julia yeah I remember the mental list-making while trying to fall asleep. It sucks b/c you're too tired to get up and do anything and it's the wrong time to do it anyway. How does the house look after your DH cleaned out all that stuff? Did you ever find a place for it? I detest throwing things out and feel much better donating it too. I don't think I'm sleeping any better or worse these days... I can't sleep deeply when I'm snoring and I can't stop snoring! I seem to have recently lost the ability to nap though. :

Continued thanks for the support and labor vibes! Seems like everyone around me is more anxious than I am about when I'll give birth, so it's nice to have y'all patiently waiting it out with me. Emily I know you voted for today (as did several other - thanks!) so I'll see what I can do about giving birth today.

#79 of 301 Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one outgrowing clothes, that makes me feel better. This whole body change thing has been a real experience for me, I'm short (4'11") and was fairly petite before I got pregnant and between not finding anything that fits anymore and people constantly asking me if I'm going to "make it to January" or if I'm having twins, I feel HUGE. Usually I'm ok with it but sometimes it just makes me feel awful.

I did find a coat that fits (for now anyway, a little room to grow), just in time becuase it's freezing today. I wore it today and I felt totally humiliated wearing it because I look like a gigantic blob with a tiny head on top. Oh well, only five more weeks of commuting and then I can stay home and rub my belly until she comes. Actually that's a lie too, we're moving in exactly a month so I'll be packing and then unpacking again in December, I don't know how I'm going to get it all done.

Also, as if I needed more to think about lately, even though I call him DH and we've been together for so long that I really do think of him as my husband, we aren't actually married. We're getting married this weekend (Saturday) so I've been planning and organizing that for the last couple of months too. How's that for a stressful three months.

Oh AND I haven't bought a single thing for the baby yet. Not. One. Thing. Is that normal? At 29 weeks? I keep having little meltdowns becuase I worry she'll think we're not welcoming her since we've bought and set up exactly nothing for her yet. Hormonal?

Ugh sorry for the long me centered ranting post!

Dee I'm sorry you had no progress downstairs yet, glad to hear that your OB isn't urging to induce. Good to hear you're feeling patient and relaxed.

I hope everyone else is doing well, I'll have to catch up when I have some more time and get better at personals.
#80 of 301 Old 11-07-2007, 02:11 PM

I can't imagine outgrowing those huge clothes in my closet!!! I'm in the midway place I suppose. My regular clothes are tight, but the mat clothes are way too big. I guess I should find a bella band. Do you have to order them online?

Hang in there Dee & Grace ~ and do whatever makes you happy!

Melanie - I understand! I just got a really bad haircut last Saturday. I don't know what went wrong as my hair stylist is a friend who has cut my hair, off and on, for 15 years. I have naturally wavy & somewhat thin hair also, and I think I'm going to end up with a much shorter cut than I prefer just to "fix" this mess. The worst part is that she texturized (scalped!) my bangs. I'm actually too embarrassed to go out in public - even w/my hair pulled up! Best of luck today!

Aimee - good for you. I work with a population that considers it disrespectful to not allow anyone and everyone to touch a pregnant woman's belly. They've told me that this protects them and it protects the baby (from?). So...when I saw a woman wearing a shirt that said, "I'm not pregnant, I just like do-nuts" the other day I seriously considered asking her where she got it.

Peace,

Rain
#81 of 301 Old 11-07-2007, 02:16 PM

Sarah,

Congratulations!!!!!!

And no...it's not totally unusual to not have made any baby item purchases. I have a friend that didn't start shopping and taking donations until she quit working at 35 weeks. She bought almost everyone online or at garage sales. She also moved right before she quit working & was glad to not have the extra stuff to move. It will all come together...

Rain
#82 of 301 Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Dee~ Gavin and I are sending you Happy Labor Vibes!! Don't stress out too much.....your baby is almost here to hang out in your arms!
Here's to hoping for no induction needed!

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#83 of 301 Old 11-08-2007, 12:58 AM

Hi all. I didn't know this tribe/group existed here, I am pretty new to MDC. I am glad to find it though. My name is Gen, 35 and due around Feb 22. My dp and I think its a boy cuz of dreams and other hints of such nature, but we won't know for sure until birth. Sorry I haven't read what is currently being posted in this thread, I was so excited when I saw it that I just had to post immediately! I am glad I have waited until now to become a mother, and I am sure I am in great company here. I look forward to getting to know all of you.
#84 of 301 Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Gen!

I have added you to the list.

I'm up way too early this morning. It's not even 6 a.m. yet but I've actually been awake since 4! I don't even know why since I feel fine. Last night I started a pre-natal yoga class. This summer was supposed to be my summer-of-yoga but it turned into my summer of getting knocked-up and I kept lying to the friend I was supposed to be doing yoga with about why I couldn't come to class. I'm about as inflexible as you can get so hopefully this will help.

#85 of 301 Old 11-08-2007, 10:14 AM

Welcome Gen, congrats on your pregnancy
#86 of 301 Old 11-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Gen!
#87 of 301 Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM

Welcome, GEN! We have the same due date!

*Looks around for Dee* any labor yet?!

I think this little girl is doing Tae-bo in my belly! She was really active yesterday morning--I thought it was because of the morning nookie --but she is pretty active again this morning. She is punching/kicking the heck out of my right side! LOL.

So, the other day DH and I were making dinner and I went to get a hug and it was really noticeable about the belly in the way. You know when you hug your DH it is like a full body hug, pelvis to pelvis kind of thing, well nope not anymore! We were belly to belly--LOL. That and i'm starting to bump my belly on things, something else I need to try to get used to. I certainly can't scoot behind DH in the bathroom any more while he is brushing his teeth, unless I want to rub my belly on his butt! Ha!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. We have snow falling for the first time this year--just flurries and no stick, but it still looks so beautiful!
#88 of 301 Old 11-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Gen this is one of the most wonderful thread ever! Congrats on your pregnancy. You will be in excellent company here.

Dee - Did you have that baby yesterday? I am going to guess no, but I will remain hopeful until I here from you. Regardless of your current state, still pregnant, in labor, or holding your babe, I hope you are doing well. Please know I am thinking about you and your little one I remember how hard it was to post toward the end of my pregnancy - I was uncomfortable and just so ready to be done, yet nothing was happening. I just didn't want to post unless I had news of a new symptom or progress (I think CJ went through the same thing). That being said, maybe your baby is waiting for her mama to be a SENIOR member - only a few more posts, you can do it!

Re 3rd trimester clothing: Yep, I outgrew almost everything by the very end. None of my shirts covered my belly and only 2 pairs of pants fit right. It sucked. I have no idea what I would have done if I had needed to get a coat! My heart goes out to you Sarah!

Sarah - Congrats on your upcoming marriage. That is so cool that your baby will get to be at your wedding with you and DH (albeit a much more portable version of your baby!). I have a friend who got married when she was visably pregnant and her son LOVES the fact that he was at the wedding. He is always pointing to the wedding picture and saying, "Here I am, in Mommy's tummy".
#89 of 301 Old 11-08-2007, 01:14 PM

Sarah holy cow you've got a lot going on right now. I love how you just casually mention "oh ya, I'm getting married this weekend." Congratulations! Moving while 8 months pregnant too? I know it can be done - some of this thread's grads did it. It's all about packing one box at a time. Glad you found a coat that fits, even if you feel funny in it. I know it's hard but try to ignore comments about your pregnant body from clueless people. Their ideas of normal come from Hollywood's 6-foot-tall size 00 pregnant women. I started buying baby stuff really slowly, probably around 29-30 weeks too. It might be good for you to wait b/c you'll have less stuff to move. I made a huge internet order & got most of my stuff around 34 weeks.

Rain it's good to hear from you - sounds like you're feeling better! Bella bands are pretty nice to have. I got mine from ebay... I think the seller was Bloomin' Belly bands or something like that. Way cheaper & they do the job. I couldn't imagine even fitting in my biggest clothes, much less outgrowing them, but here I am, with a 6-8 inches of exposed skin under my giant maternity shirt. : You'll be there before you know it!

Melanie how did your hair turn out? I have similar hair & I know what a nightmare a bad cut can be. Texturizing + bangs would equal many tears and months of gel!

Tracy
and Laura, thanks for the positive labor vibes!

Gen and congrats on your pregnancy!

40w5d here. Haha I'm counting like I'm under siege or something. I started taking RRL caps a few days ago so at least I've been having BH contrax now. Yesterday I went for a brisk walk (by current standards of course ) & didn't have a single contraction! I couldn't have done that months ago! Parents and ILs are driving me nuts. Baby will come when she's ready. Baby will come when she's ready. Baby will come when she's ready.

#90 of 301 Old 11-08-2007, 01:52 PM

dee - you have the best mantra going! I would like to change my vote to saturday (THIS saturday). have to go find your poll.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page