Stripping Membranes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-04-2003, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

Any opinions/research on the stripping of membranes to stimulate labor? Is it a good idea? Does it really work?

Peace,
Kellie
#2 of 10 Old 08-05-2003, 01:46 AM

My Dr. did it 2X with ds. I still went over 5 days and induced. She did it really quickly tho. I read that for it to be really effective, they need to take 15 min or so and go pretty deep. ouch
g
#3 of 10 Old 08-05-2003, 02:49 PM

My Midwife stripped my membreanes as well and I still had to be induced when I did not go into labor. I hear it works for some people though. Good luck

, mama to DS(7/)22/02) DS (8/14/04) , and an angel (3/10/10)nursing a broken heart...loving my boys.
#4 of 10 Old 08-05-2003, 04:11 PM

A good friend of mine had her membranes stripped when she was about 1.5 weeks overdue. Her Nurse-Midwife said it works 50% of the time in her practice. It did work for my friend. She said the exam was painful but not too bad & within 6 hours she was contracting regularly. She thought it was well worth the stripping.

Personally, I always think the baby will come when it's ready. But, then again I never went to 45 weeks or anything!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#5 of 10 Old 08-05-2003, 04:55 PM

I am a doula and have had plenty of clients have their membranes stripped...and through it all, I have become a firm believer that the baby is going to come when the baby is ready. If the baby is ready, than stripping membranes may be just what the body needs to get things going. If not, then it probably won't do much of anything except make the mom a little sore.

Just my two cents!

Brooke
#6 of 10 Old 08-06-2003, 10:40 PM

Brooke wrote what I was thinking.

I was stripped, only to have terrible cramping (labor pains) for 12 days... was induced 7 days past my EDD.

I was 5cm before they even started the pitocin, but I can't give stripping the credit.
#7 of 10 Old 08-07-2003, 08:49 AM

Ouch. I had this done on a Friday, had DS on the following Tuesday early a.m., after my water broke on Monday.
#8 of 10 Old 08-16-2003, 10:53 AM

Due date for my third baby is today. I've been 4cm, 0 station and 80% effaced for over two weeks now. My midwife stripped my membranes last Thursday, and the Thursday before that too! Except for an increase in the intensity of my pre-labor contractions (something I could happily have done without), nothing happened. I guess it's true that the baby comes when the baby is good and ready to come!
#9 of 10 Old 08-16-2003, 02:47 PM

I had mine stripped twice and i was still 16 days over! i had to be induced. I guess it works on some and not others
#10 of 10 Old 08-17-2003, 06:12 PM

With my second my obgyn offered twice to strip my membranes. I refused both times, but by the second time she asked I was pretty miserable so I asked what the benefits really were. She told me that to be quite honest, stripping membranes probably wouldn't do much for someone like me who had been dilated to three cm for weeks and very effaced. She said that stripping membranes is mainly effective for someone who is not dilated at all and shows no prelabor signs. It gets them more favorable for induction.:

I obviously refused the offer, but was glad that she was honest with me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page