Will being too cold hurt the baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this may seem silly, but I need to ask.

It is 52 degrees F (11 C) in the house right now. I am really trying to wait to turn on the furnace until it can be serviced tomorrow, but my DH is worried that being this cold is going to hurt the (in utero) baby. Sure, the breast milk I am leaking is getting a bit on the slushy side, and my fingers are icy, but could being cold really have a negative effect on a baby who is all cozy inside of me? DH mentions how being in a hot tub can over heat the unborn child; does being cold work the same way?

Thanks!

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#2 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No, you would have to be dangerously cold. You could take your temp, I'm sure it's still at normal.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#3 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 01:35 PM

Dress warm, keep your feet and head warm and I'm sure baby will be fine.
#4 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
No, you would have to be dangerously cold. You could take your temp, I'm sure it's still at normal.
Okay, I took my temp and it is 96.1F That is kind of low...I guess I should turn on the heat, huh?

#5 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 02:24 PM

Oh my you are TOUGH! I am such a wimp, I can't even handle it being 15 C in the house! I told Dh this morning that I need to get a sleeping cap because the cold in our bedroom is giving me a headache.

I don't think it could really hurt the baby. Do you take your temp alot? Some people just run low normally (I have a friend who is always 97something, it's normal for her). I would say if you are bundled up and not feeling cold or showing signs of cold (shivering etc), you are fine.
#6 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your baby will be fine, but you are in danger of having your pipes freeze and possibly burst! If the temp in your home is less than 55F the air within your walls could be much much lower, especially at night. It is probably due to your body heat that your home is as warm as it is. I suggest turning on your heat before night falls. Of course this all depends on how cold it is outside. Tonight it's going down into the mid-20s here in VT.

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#7 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 PM

If you don't want to turn the heat on, could you not turn on the oven and open the door for a while to get some heat out?

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#8 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 03:46 PM

52 isn't cold enough to hurt the baby. We don't have our heat on yet, either and it was 38 degrees out at noon today. Put on another sweater. You do have to watch out for your water pipes bursting though, if it gets colder outside.
#9 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 04:37 PM

If you can keep yourself comfortable, the baby will be fine.

How about a portable heater? Can you run out to Target? They have some now that blow hot air and aren't dangerous like electric space heaters that have heating elements.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#10 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

When it got down to 50F, I started to feel actually chilled, so I broke down and turned it on. My skin was actually icy under my sweater, and I was shivering.

It isn't that it didn't work, but that we like to get it cleaned and serviced before we turn it on for the season. The carbon monoxide detectors haven't gone off, and there isn't a whole lot of visible dust blowing out the vents (gas forced hot air), so I'm glad I went ahead and turned it on.

I turned it up to 61 F and took a long warm shower. Oh the luxury!

#11 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 PM

Just think of Eskimoes or Inuit. It's like -72 degrees and they handle it just fine

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#12 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
Just think of Eskimoes or Inuit. It's like -72 degrees and they handle it just fine

LOL! I lived in Alaska and had Inuit friends. They dress much more intelligently than I have the capacity to here in Ohio. :

I guess I could have gotten my fur coat out of storage...

#13 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 PM

I just told dh about this post and he laughed. I held off on turning the heat on until one night dd woke up, put her slippers on and went back to bed. She's 3y. Dh convinced me that we needed the heat. It was 49F in the house that night......I was comfy :

Since then we had the heat and ducts serviced and have kept it around 62F. Everyone else is still cold. I'm in short sleeves.

Needless to say, I'm sure your baby was fine the whole time! But it sounds like you and your family are happy to be a bit warmer.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page