Mothering Forum banner

OBS office fired 1 of the obs, and other on maternity leave.

567 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hubris 
#1 ·
I am a little scared that my OB won't be able to deliver my lo becasue he will be too busy. I went to my OB office yesturday and found out my ob fired 1doctor and I already knew the other will be most likely on maternity leave(she is due around the same time as me). So it will be just him!! I didn't think to ask him until after I left about him being too busy. I am having a VBAC. I interviewed many midwives but my husband and I didn't feel comfortable having my 1st labor, and vaginally birth at home. Anyways should I be worried that he is the only one in December to take care of his practice? I only wanted him to deliver anyways but now I am worried he won't be able to and a resident will do it. In that case I should just go with a midwife! Sorry so long I am just freaking out now!!! I have not been comfortable with any of the OBs or midwives this time around. I just felt I wasn't being listened too! His partner did my c-section 14 months ago. I left them for a couple months looking for other OBS or midwives but went back after a trip to the ER becasue of what another OB did wrong to me! I only trust he will do good especially if I end up needing another c-section!!!!

#2 ·
I have to say, I always am a little befuddled when I see posts like this.......when you enter in a group OB practice, there just is NEVER any gaurantee that the one you "want" will deliver your baby. I mean, that's the risk you take going into an OB practice, right?

I don't understand why more women aren't prepared for this???
:

I don't really have any good advice........this just reminds me of why I'd never use an OB!

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anothermama View Post
I have to say, I always am a little befuddled when I see posts like this.......when you enter in a group OB practice, there just is NEVER any gaurantee that the one you "want" will deliver your baby. I mean, that's the risk you take going into an OB practice, right?

I don't understand why more women aren't prepared for this???
:

I don't really have any good advice........this just reminds me of why I'd never use an OB!
Well actually it's not a group practice if he's the only one.

#4 ·
It sounds like you trust this particular OB, and that's important, but your concern that he may not be able to attend your baby's birth is valid. What happened to the women who used to see the fired OB and the OB on maternity leave, are they all seeing your OB now as well, leaving him with triple the volume? Is he sharing call with another OB practice? I guess I'd start problem-solving by asking him what his plan is.

Are there any nurse-midwives in your area who attend hospital births? The CNW who will attend my homebirth also attends hospital VBACs.

Can you hire a doula? Then at least you would be able to form a relationship now with somebody who can support you during your entire labor/birth.

I would also be concerned that your OB might resort to scheduling lots of inductions in order to control his schedule a bit - you may need to be ready to advocate against an induction. Having a doula on your side might help with that, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.