I'm pregnant....with a Mirena IUD! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-24-2007, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea where to post this...so it is here and on the Family Planning board.

I'm really scared I'm going to lose this baby. Has anyone else ever been preggo with an IUD? My last period was Oct. 15th and I found out today I'm pregnant! I went to the ER...to make a long story short, I go to the OB/GYN on Monday to either have it removed then or when I'm 5 weeks along.

My blood count was 58.3 so that puts me at only 2-4 weeks.

Please some words of encouragement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 11-24-2007, 02:55 AM

I hope all goes as it should.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 16 Old 11-24-2007, 03:43 AM
DBZ

I'll keep you in my thoughts/prayers

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#4 of 16 Old 11-24-2007, 07:27 AM

I hope everything works out for the best.

But my words of comfort is this: I AM an IUD baby. I was conceived in the early 80's with a copper IUD. I have obviously survived, and am quite healthy. So, I know that everything can work out just fine.

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#5 of 16 Old 11-24-2007, 09:07 AM

Hugs to you mama...I will be thinking of you...and will send some positive energy your way...

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#6 of 16 Old 11-24-2007, 03:19 PM

I have seen several mamas here and other places on the internet who have had successful pregnancies w/ an IUD. Post a thread in TAO directing people here and you'll get some replies.
#7 of 16 Old 11-24-2007, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

What is TAO?
#8 of 16 Old 11-24-2007, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
TAO = Talk Amongst Ourselves It's a board here, but you have to have 50 posts to be able to view it. I had a friend who got pregnant with an IUD, and babe was born healthy, with the IUD in his hand!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#9 of 16 Old 11-24-2007, 04:31 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#10 of 16 Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the letter I have written:

*****:

I am writing to inform you of a major oversight that occurred in the OB/GYN clinic on Monday, November 19th at the **** Naval Hospital.

My appointment was at 1:30p.m. with ****. I told her that I was interested in switching my birth control from the mini-pill to the Mirena IUD; as I had spoken with another doctor at MCAS Cherry Point about both options. I told her that I was not good at remembering my pill at the same time every day and that I needed a more secure form of birth control. She talked to me a bit about the Mirena and sufficiently answered my questions. However, I emphasized to her that I wanted to “make sure” that I was not pregnant before insertion. She assured me that the urine test was sufficient even though I had told her my last period was October 15th and I have a 35 day cycle (not a 28-day). I realize now that because my menstrual cycle was not “late” that a urine pregnancy test is only 16% effective at this time (on or before the first day of your missed cycle).

I was not given the insert that comes with the Mirena (another oversight on Dr. ****'s part); however, I looked it up on the internet to find this:

The healthcare provider should determine that the patient is
not pregnant. The possibility of insertion of MIRENA in the
presence of an existing undetermined pregnancy is reduced if
insertion is performed within 7 days of the onset of a menstrual
period.

Therefore, Dr. **** should have waited to insert the Mirena until the beginning 7 days of my cycle to “make sure” that I would not harm an already onset pregnancy, as the directions clearly state.

I found out Friday, November 23rd I am indeed pregnant through taking a home pregnancy test, as I was then “late” and had felt some pulling of the uterus that I had felt with my previous pregnancy. I could now lose my baby because Dr. **** did not properly follow the directions of Mirena to wait for insertion the “first 7 days of the onset of a menstrual period.”

I am concerned for the life of my baby, as well as for other women who trust Dr. **** to insert their Mirena IUD according to the directions provided by Mirena. I appreciate the hospital looking into this matter. I can be reached at ****.

What do you think?????? Thanks for the input.
#11 of 16 Old 11-25-2007, 12:18 AM

Sounds great and good for you for taking to time to write it out and help other woman.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#12 of 16 Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 AM
DBZ

Good letter. I'll be interested in hearing about the reply you'll get.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#13 of 16 Old 11-25-2007, 01:35 AM

Wishing you a healthy & happy pregnancy!

I got conceived right around the time my Mirenna was removed. Apparently, mid-cycle is not when it should be removed, but rather during or just after a period. Clearly, there's a lot of mis-information that Drs. have about proper insertion/removal.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#14 of 16 Old 11-25-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K's Mom! View Post
But my words of comfort is this: I AM an IUD baby. I was conceived in the early 80's with a copper IUD. I have obviously survived, and am quite healthy. So, I know that everything can work out just fine.
Me too! My mother didn't know she was pregnant until she was 5 months along with me, and had the IUD removed then.

I hope all works out well!
#15 of 16 Old 11-25-2007, 01:30 PM

Another IUD baby here. My mom didn't have her's removed..I don't think. I'm pretty sure it was the copper t and the year was '77.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#16 of 16 Old 11-25-2007, 01:31 PM

My sister is an IUD baby too. My mother didn't know she was pregnant until about 5 months. The story goes that she was born with the IUD in her hand although I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

Hugs to you mama

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page