What are the different levels of a hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2007, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're planning a HB but I was trying to familiarize myself with the local hospital (just in case). Their brochure says they are a level 3 hospital. I have no clue what that means. How many levels are there...and what do they mean...

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 12:54 PM

I have no idea, but would like to know myself.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 PM

I have no idea either. If you have an ob, I bet they would know. A mw might know as well.

I'm curious now...off to google.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 PM

They may be referring to the level of NICU care available. Some hospitals have almost no care available for babies born early or sick. Others will take babies after a certain gestational age, and some hospitals can care for the earliest, most ill babies. A lvel 3 is a fairly high level of care, IIRC.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:12 PM

I agree with Lousli-here is what I found when I googled it:

Quote:
  • Level I (basic): a hospital nursery organized with the personnel and equipment to perform neonatal resuscitation, evaluate and provide postnatal care of healthy newborn infants, stabilize and provide care for infants born at 35 to 37 weeks' gestation who remain physiologically stable, and stabilize newborn infants born at less than 35 weeks' gestational age or ill until transfer to a facility that can provide the appropriate level of neonatal care
  • Level II (specialty): a hospital special care nursery organized with the personnel and equipment to provide care to infants born at more than 32 weeks' gestation and weighing more than 1500 g who have physiologic immaturity such as apnea of prematurity, inability to maintain body temperature, or inability to take oral feedings; who are moderately ill with problems that are expected to resolve rapidly and are not anticipated to need subspecialty services on an urgent basis; or who are convalescing from intensive care. Level II care is subdivided into 2 categories that are differentiated by those that do not (level IIA) or do (level IIB) have the capability to provide mechanical ventilation for brief durations (less than 24 hours) or continuous positive airway pressure.
  • Level III (subspecialty): a hospital neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) organized with personnel and equipment to provide continuous life support and comprehensive care for extremely high-risk newborn infants and those with complex and critical illness. Level III is subdivided into 3 levels differentiated by the capability to provide advanced medical and surgical care.
source

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

Old 11-27-2007, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Pam! (somehow I lost this thread)

This is the hospital
http://www.orlandoregional.org/winni...tal/index.aspx

It looks like a hotel!!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 PM

this is a brilliant facet to keep in mind, when choosing a hospital birth "for safety" or "just in case", and also for homebirth back-up. A hospital isn't a hospital; there are differences.

I know a few mamas who have had uncomplicated hospital births, and then baby requires extra attention...while the newborn is blasting across town in an ambulance, New Mom is trying to get discharged and to the hospital where her baby has just been admitted to.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 PM

What kind of brochure is it?

I ask because hospitals receive different designations for different things. Most often, the designation is in reference to trauma services. If it's said "Level III" in a generic sense, I'd probably assume trauma. But if the brochure was clearly about birth, then I'd assume it was referring to the NICU.

I see now that the hospital is "for women and babies" so in that case yeah, it's referring to the NICU. A general hospital, though, and they'd have to be more specific.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)

User Tag List