Help me turn my "breech" baby! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 31 and 1/2 weeks along with baby #2. Just came back from a visit with my midwife and she actually used the term breech to describe my baby's position. I have to admit being a little freaked out by this. Baby appears to be butt down. I am planning a home birth, but will have to transfer to an OBGYN if I can't get this baby head down within the next five weeks. Chances of vaginally delivering a breech baby in my area are pretty much nil.

I'm not really terribly surprised to hear this because I have been really uncomfortable the last few weeks. My belly button is pretty sore and tender and my belly just feels so tight and uncomfortable. I don't recall feeling this way with my first pregnancy. It just doesn't feel "right" for lack of a better way to put it.

I just spent a bunch of time at spinningbabies.com and got lots of good info there. My MW recommended chiropractic as wells as acupuncture. I am hoping to try both, even though we are on an extremely tight budget, due to this being a surprise baby. My DH is very supportive of doing whatever we have to do to get this baby to move, so at least I have that going for me!

I would love to hear anyone's success stories at turning their baby. I really need some help and moral support!
#2 of 21 Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 PM

i am 38 weeks with a breech baby. its good that you are only 32 weeks - you have time. unfortunately for me, nothing i did worked even though i started early to try and get him to turn. here is a list of things i tried (which will most likely work for you - don't get worried cuz it didn't work for me)...

1. chiropractic (Webster's Technique) - hopefully, you would only need 3 or 4 visits so it shouldn't be too bad on your budget. this felt like it would have worked because my baby was SO active afterward.

2. breech tilt on an ironing board - definitely on an empty stomach, and stand up afterward for awhile to give the baby time to flip. 3 times a day. i found this way easier to do than the way they recommend on spinningbabies (i did both).

3. acupuncture or moxabustion. i believe they do the same thing. if you can get your hands on the moxabustion sticks, i would do it at home (cheaper than acupuncture too). this really got my baby moving too. they say to do this 2-3x a day too.

there are other things to do too... handstands in a pool, flashlight at bottom of uterus, dad talking to bottom of uterus, maternity belt.

i hope you don't have a job because these methods are time consuming, but worth the effort if they work. i did the external cephalic version as well.

good luck! you can totally do this! do not get disheartened by my failure - there is probably a good reason why my baby can't flip. talk to your baby too and encourage him. i will pray that your baby turns - i hope you don't have to go through a c-section like i will have to do. i did get a ton of advice and encouragement from all the wonderful moms at MDC, as i am sure you will as well.
#3 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 AM

My LO spent four days breech at 37 weeks. She didn't stay in that position long enough for us to get too agressive about making her flip, but here is what we did do:

1. I only sat leaning forward. No reclining at all. When I sat in a straight chair, I sat with the chair backwards. When I sat on the couch, I sat sideways, crosslegged, leaning forward.

2. I spent a lot of time on my side, with DH speaking at the lower part of my belly near my vaginal area. The baby often turns towards the sound of his voice, so we were hoping she would move towards him.

3. I only slept on my left side. This was frankly horrible, and my hips are killing me. I would have prefered to sleep partially reclined.

Some things we didn't try but I'd heard about:
1. Ice on the top of the belly, heat on the underside. Baby is supposed to avoid the cold and move towards the heat.

2. Acupuncture.

3. Webster technique

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#4 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 AM

Craniosacral therapy can also turn breech babies. You can search for a practitioner here. Ask if they have experience helping with fetal positioning. I see a licensed massage therapist who specializes in CST, and she charges $65/session.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#5 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
Craniosacral therapy can also turn breech babies. You can search for a practitioner here. Ask if they have experience helping with fetal positioning. I see a licensed massage therapist who specializes in CST, and she charges $65/session.
This is what I did. I was 35 weeks with a breech baby and she'd been breech the whole time. She's turned and is head down and I'm looking at being delivered next week for pre-E. I would so recommend a CST and also talking to baby and telling baby that it's ok to turn. It does help
#6 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 PM

Dd was breech until 34wks. We did the inverted position exercises with a bag of frozen veggies near her head and light/warmpth/music below. Not sure if this helped, but she did get into position.

This time I'm 34wks6d and baby is still breech. It is sooooo uncomfortable! Transverse feels OK, but baby now spends most of the time wiht head in my left rib/lung area. The heartburn is a bit much, and I just feel strange and cramped. I am again doing the inversions....I have an appointment with a chiro on Fri to start the Webster technique (although she said she would have like to see me several weeks ago.....so that puts you in a good spot for trying).

The MWs I see will do a "gentle" in-office version, but I'm not sold on that. Not sure why, just don't want to risk pre-term labor I guess.

I hope that you reamin hopeful and that your baby find his/her way soon!!! Personally I know several mama's who have had scheduled sections only to have the baby flip several days before EDD.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#7 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Pulsatilla? You can probably find it at a health food store. I would so some research and ask your midwife about it.
#8 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM

i had a successful moxibustion/acupuncture appt at 34 wks that turned baby.

good luck!
#9 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 PM

I did want to mention that sometimes babies are breech for a very good reason. It sucks in that it limits your birth options, and hopefully your babe will turn, but know that sometimes the breech position is what the baby needs to be safe .

#10 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
I did want to mention that sometimes babies are breech for a very good reason. It sucks in that it limits your birth options, and hopefully your babe will turn, but know that sometimes the breech position is what the baby needs to be safe .
Not to hijack the thread, but I've never heard this (then again, I hear something everday on here I've never heard before! ) and I'm just curious what you mean. What situation would cause the baby to be safer in the breech position? I'm not being argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.
#11 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcupcake View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I've never heard this (then again, I hear something everday on here I've never heard before! ) and I'm just curious what you mean. What situation would cause the baby to be safer in the breech position? I'm not being argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.
Yes, I am curious, too. I'm guessing maybe if the baby couldn't move because of the cord or placenta placement? Anyone know if there's ever a sound medical reason for a breech baby?
#12 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 PM

I also wanted to add to all of this that you shouldn't worry about it so early anyway. Your baby could still turn and turn again (and then turn again) before delivery. It's fine to do all the stuff, but just because you can get your baby to turn now doesn't mean that the baby won't turn again. And if you can't get the baby to turn now, doesn't mean that the baby will stay breech either.

My baby has been "head down" posterior for a very long time, and I'm certain that last Friday he/she flipped to a breech position. I'm at 35 weeks, and nobody is alarmed about this. I asked my midwives when they wanted the baby to be in a good position, and they said that by 38 weeks, the baby should settle into a good birth position.
#13 of 21 Old 11-28-2007, 11:40 PM

My second baby flip-flopped until settling vertex at 36 weeks. I think it's a little early to be worrying about it.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#14 of 21 Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I'm no expert, but I've heard stories where baby was tangled in the cord, so if you do an external version, for example, and try to force the baby to turn, it can tighten the cord and put the baby at risk. There may also be cases where, due to cord tangling/placement, it's best for baby to come out breech (vaginally).

Again, I'm no expert, but this is just stuff I've garnered from reading stories, other threads, etc. I also think our babies have an inherent wisdom, and if you have a baby that is very "stubborn" about staying breech, it may just be that baby knows best what it needs .

#15 of 21 Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 AM

My babe is also in the breech position and has been since at least week 31. I've done the webster technique, moxibustion, tilt board, swimming, handstands in the pool, the hot/cold thing, and pretty much everything else I've read that can help. I am just trying to stay positive and hope that my little one knows when the right time to turn will be. I will probably try an external version at 37 weeks if babe hasn't turned by then. I've read so many people's experiences of babies turning right up until the last minute, so I'm trying not to get too worried about it.
#16 of 21 Old 11-29-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I'm at 35 weeks, and nobody is alarmed about this. I asked my midwives when they wanted the baby to be in a good position, and they said that by 38 weeks, the baby should settle into a good birth position.
That's very true if you actually have until 38+ weeks. I'm going to be induced Tuesday due to pre-E that's getting out of hand. I'm very lucky and glad that my CST was able to get my body lose enough for my daughter to turn. I was so not looking forward to a c-section for a breech baby!!!

Good luck to everyone!!!:
#17 of 21 Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 PM

With my 3rd, he was breech at 36 weeks. Since we had just resolved a placenta previa issue, I honestly didn't care. At least a breech baby can be born at home, a placenta previa requires a cesarean!

But, I wanted to do everything I could to turn him. We tried a lot of what has already been mentioned, but none of that worked. So, one night, I filled up our waterbirth tub just a few inches, just enough to cover my lower abdomen, with really hot water. I sat in there as long as I could stand it and tried to "push" baby around to get him moving. That night, he flipped while I slept. Now, I don't know if it's because the water worked or not, but it's definitely worth a try! The thought is that baby will "swim" towards the warmth (your warm lower abdomen).

Although, I am really curious about the suggestion that maybe baby needs to be this way. In hindsight, with my baby, this may very well have been the case. I had a very hard labor and he was very difficult to push out because the cord was wrapped around his neck a few times - perhaps this wouldn't have happened if he'd been born breech? He had a 15.5" head and was 10#3 - my biggest baby. His eyes were bloodshot for weeks - a lot of petechiae (he literally looked strangled).

Good luck!
#18 of 21 Old 11-29-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylahroo View Post
With my 3rd, he was breech at 36 weeks. Since we had just resolved a placenta previa issue, I honestly didn't care. At least a breech baby can be born at home, a placenta previa requires a cesarean!
That's great that you were able to turn your baby, but my midwife will transfer me out at 37 weeks if my baby is still breech. In my area, you can't have a breech baby at home OR at the hospital. There is no one who will do it.
#19 of 21 Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Walking up and down stairs sideways helps open up the pelvic area to turn breeches. The midwives that I know swear by it. Also, get down and scrub floors ALOT.(like an hour a day, or watch tv in the position)

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#20 of 21 Old 11-30-2007, 12:40 PM

My son was breech from 30 weeks on. Here is what we tried to turn him (and btw, it didn't work.. he ended up being born via c/s at 39 weeks )

1. Breech tilt (lay on the ironing board with feet high)
2. Swimming and diving in the water, handstands in the pool
3. Frozen bag of peas on his head
4. Earphones on my belly to encourage him to turn around
5. Talk to him
6. Webster Chiropractic maneover (we started this at 36 weeks - wish we'd started it earlier)
7. Crawl around on hands and knees every day
8. Knee-chest position for a long time (10-15 min) each day
9. Visualization and relaxation - I think I probably could have done more of this and it would have helped. I got so *worried* about the whole thing - obsessed really - that I fear that may have prevented him from turning on his own because I was uptight
10. Warm baths and relaxation. I also tried to "push" him to encourage him to turn like another poster mentioned. - several times.
11. Tried an ECV at 37 weeks (to address an OP's concern, yes there CAN be problems with this if the cord is around baby's neck - it's why they do it with monitoring in the hospital and let you know that an emergency c/s is a possibility if it causes distress. The OB who did mine said that usually babies will either go or they won't. She gave it 2-3 good tries and then said that it was clear he wasn't going to go and that she wouldn't force it. I thought this was a very reasonable approach - if he wasn't going to go it was probably because something was preventing him from turning.)

The good news is that MOST babies do turn on their own even without help. Good luck to you!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#21 of 21 Old 12-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
A lady in my husband's tae kwon do class had to have a c-section when her breech baby would NOT turn. The (really short) cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times and again around his chest. If she had tried a vaginal delivery, he would have suffocated. So it wasn't necessarily the birth experience she had dreamed of, but everyone came through it OK.

Married 6/16/01 ~ WOHM to DS1 4/29/06 and DS2 2/13/08 ~  ALMOST an RVT ~ dog2.gif dog2.gif goldfish.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page