Needing a van soon -- What kind? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ummm... Stay away from the Kia Sedona.... Ours has been a nightmare.... 2 nights ago our door FELL OFF... nice huh... I so wish we had not bought this van...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 PM

I have the Toyota Sienna and love it. It's a used '04.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcee View Post
Ummm... Stay away from the Kia Sedona.... Ours has been a nightmare.... 2 nights ago our door FELL OFF... nice huh... I so wish we had not bought this van...
Marcee: I'm not a big fan of Kia as of late. They don't have a lot of standard features that I've been seeing in the dodge like the lifetime warranty and optional bumper-to-bumper. I don't think the Caravan's door's would fall off but its nice to know it would be covered under the warranty. I just don't see a lot of mini's with the features that the Dodge has. Where were you supposed to go when the door fell off lol. That's a night ruiner!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Right now we have an '06 Pontiac Montana SV6. I love it. It has the shape of an SUV. Two electric sliding doors, DVD player, Lots of cup holders (important to me! )... A ton of cool features. I would recommend looking into them.
My good friend with four kids has this van and I love the look and feel of it! And it does have a more rugged SUV shape to it, I agree.

We are looking into getting a van next year. DH really wants a Chevy Astro and I wouldn't mind having one if it was in excellent condition. He also likes the look of the Honda Ody but we are looking for something really cheap right now.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:06 PM

We have an '06 Odyssey and love it. The DVD player is such a luxury! And the boys can play playstation too!

My dh drives the Ody most of the time. I use our Land Rover Discovery for my commute and the pick up of my child. (gas mileage is atrocious, but I love, love, love my Rover)
Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcee View Post

Actually I missed this post when I posted right after you. The automatic sliding door motor failed on our Toyota Sienna 2 weeks ago, and the door fell off its track in the process, just fell like an inch, not completely off, couldn't budge it a millimeter in any direction (it was halfway closed when it failed and I had to drive 2 miles to get home in the freezing cold! So, yes, I tried to force it closed, which did not happen!) It caused body damage when the door fell, even though it only fell like half an inch. It took a really long time to get it fixed (um, 2 weeks!!!) but our warranty insurance covered the door motor, but not the body damage and some other things that involved the door, caused by the motor fail. Toyota picked up the rest b/c they felt it was their fault, so our bill is only for the $50 insurance deductible! They picked up over $500 of the over $1200 bill. Go Toyota! Yes, it was a huge inconvenience, but they really took care of it. Part of the reason it took so long was b/c they had NEVER seen something like this and had to figure out what to do with it and get different parts in, and then the body damage had to be repaired and that panel repainted. So it was a fluke, not something to be expected w/ a Sienna.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:38 AM

We just had to buy a van, due to this baby coming. We got an Odyssey and I love it and would recommend it without hesistation.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:39 AM

We have a 2000 Chevy Venture, and I really, really like it. It used to be my mom's and she bought it new. It's never had serious problems. The brakes have been replaced, along with all the "normal" stuff. The back handle to get the hatch closed is broken, a seam on the chair of the driver's seat has come out and they didn't fix it right, and a few things like that. But for being 7 years old, it's a great van.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:10 PM

Very happy with our Honda Odyssey.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 PM

We'll be making a mini-van purchase soon ... NOT a new one, just new for us.
I need help in figuring out the logistics for my children ....
I will have a 13yo DD (she can sit anywhere!), a 2yoDD, still in a forward facing car seat; and the twins, who will be in rear facing infant seats.

Do you put the little babies in the middle row, and the two older kids in the back, or what??? Help!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 12-19-2007, 04:48 PM

Yep I think that's what you do, have your older 2 sit in the back and the older one help buckle the 2yo in then you have the 2 infant seats in the middle.

Ashley, Jesus loving mama to Jaden (8) Trace (6) and Liam (3) and fost/adopt twins Talia and Oliva (1).  Happily married for a decade! 

Old 12-20-2007, 05:24 PM

If I had more cash, I would have an Odyssey or Sienna, but since I don't, I have a Dodge Grand Caravan. It really is the best not-super-expensive van for reliability, it is the only one continuing in production at this time, it is great on gas. It ain't fancy but it is very practical and does the job!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~MamaJava~*~ View Post
If I had more cash, I would have an Odyssey or Sienna, but since I don't, I have a Dodge Grand Caravan. It really is the best not-super-expensive van for reliability, it is the only one continuing in production at this time, it is great on gas. It ain't fancy but it is very practical and does the job!
I don't know. Even if I had the cash the Sienna and the Odyssey don't have a lot of features that are available in the Caravan--even some of the standard features like the Stow N Go/Swivel Option, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission, Lifetime warranty, etc. I also thing the Caravan looks a bit cooler.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:52 PM

We have a 96 Grand Voyager SE and love it. it has served us well and we'll drive it till it runs into the ground (it presently has over 220K miles on it). Once it is dead, however, we will be getting a Subaru Tribeca. I can't wait to get my hands on one! We live in snow country and the all wheel drive is vital. Plus the backup camera would really give me peace of mind!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:36 PM

I will put in for the Kia Sedona- like any other car manufacturer, you'll have some with good experiences and some with bad. We had an 04 sedona, traded in to get an06 almost a year ago. Both have been/were great. Good enough base models- great price- we pd $17k brand new, base model.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 12-28-2007, 12:41 PM

According to Consumer Reports, the Toyota Sienna is the safest minivan in crash tests, so I went with that. And after we bought it our insurance rate dropped because of safety! I love my van and would recommend it to everyone.
The problem with the Sienna is that it's a bit more expensive than others, but if you wait until January, most dealerships will sell them with 0% interest loans.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:46 PM

It's not a VAN but it's kind of a van, we have a 2006 VW Caddy and I love love love it. 2 sliding doors and heated seats for me! We have 2 carseats as well.

User Tag List