Dong quai and vitex - any experience? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(X-posted in a few other places...)

My acupuncturist has recommend that I begin taking dong quai (aka Angelica sinensis) and vitex (aka chasteberry). I have done a fair bit of research regarding these herbs, but I have not found information regarding when to take them during your cycle and how to wean off of them if you get a BFP. What have you done?

Many thanks for your input. Best wishes!

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#2 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 03:34 AM

I didn't take Dong Quai, but looked into it because I needed to jumpstart my period at one point. I'd only recommend it if you are having a long cycle, are 100% sure you're not pregnant, and want to get byour period going so you can start again.

I took a high dose of Vitex (1500mg) daily throughout my cycle. I had been having long cycles with late ovulation, and the Vitex reduced my total cycle length by about a week and dropped my ovulation back by a few days in the first full cycle of taking it (I had started it halfway through the cycle before). I truly believe that the Vitex is why I got pregnant so quickly - on my second cycle of trying! When I got my positive test I just stopped taking the Vitex (and several other supplements) without a weaning down period. There were no ill effects from stopping that suddenly.
#3 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 AM

I took them for quite a while to regulate my cycles and boost my natural progesterone production. I did the vitex all cycle but the dong quai only in the follicular (first) phase since it isn't good to take in PG.

I did an infusion of the cut/sifted herb rather than a tincture or pill. 1/4 cup of each per quart.
#4 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 AM

i've not had any experience with dong quai, but i did a lot of research on vitex back when we were thinking of TTC #1 but hadn't started yet. i had just come off the pill, and my luteal phase was really wacky. i've known lots of people who've taken it and gotten successful results.
#5 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Wow - thank you all so much for the information! My cycles are usually 40+ days with ovulation around CD 20 at the earliest. DH and I will not be TTC again until we get test results back and my cycles become a bit more "normal". So I think I will go ahead and begin taking both supplements. It seems like both would address imbalances which may have caused my m/cs.

I appreciate you sharing your experiences!

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#6 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I used Dong quai only for a cycle or two, then my herbalist suggested maca root instead. I had a long cycle was well, was not O'ing until day 20-23 but then had a very short LP. The maca root was to work on the first part of my cycle. I took vitex for months, it did work well for me but wasn't enough with my wacky cycle, but when I combined the two I was pg very quickly. : I continued to take the vitex until the very end of my 1st tri and then weaned myself from it.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 12:48 PM

I took vitex to try and get my periods back (I was 15 months pp and breastfeeding and wanted to get preg again). Took 1200 mg/day and after 8 weeks I had my first pp ovulation - and got pregnant! I continued to take the Vitex for another 2 weeks or so after I got my BFP, but then stopped. I'm 13 weeks now.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#8 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Couple more questions: Is there a danger in stopping vitex when you get a BFP? Was it recommended to you that you continue it for awhile until the placenta took over hormone production?

#9 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeBorn View Post
Couple more questions: Is there a danger in stopping vitex when you get a BFP? Was it recommended to you that you continue it for awhile until the placenta took over hormone production?
I found info on both, many sites said to stop with a BFP, but I never found any compelling reason to stop. I also read that vitex in the first tri can decrease the risk of m/c, so I decided to go that route.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ohhhh, okay. Makes sense. I think I will stay on vitex at a low dose if I get a BFP, then wean off... maybe at 13 weeks? But I will come off dong quai when I get a BFP. Or maybe I will only take it pre-O....

Later: Yup. That's what I'll do. Take Vitex the whole cycle and wean off once preggers. Take dong quai up until ovulation. I have found tons of websites, but this one gave a good dosage schedule: http://www.epinions.com/kifm-review-...38EBD8D5-prod2
(Of course, it is anecdotal, but it seems to be in keeping with the other info I found.)

#11 of 11 Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM

I think it's good to take Vitex throughout the cycle because it strengthens the luteal phase (someone can correct me if I'm wrong!) I am on it right now and if I get pregnant on it I'll wean off at the end of the first trimester.

Another supplement that can help with PCOS or delayed ovulation is inositol. I've been on Vitex a couple months and added inositol last month. My ovulation the cycle before was like day 53 or something dismal like that. Last cycle, I ovulated on day 33, a vast improvement for me. I don't know if it was the Vitex or the inositol but I'll take it! Inositol's a B vitamin and I think those are pretty safe in general, but ask your acu too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page