Mothering Forum banner

August 03 Mamas follow Wooby's lead #8

4K views 79 replies 22 participants last post by  Wooby 
#1 ·
moving this down

#2 ·
Hi Mamas
I am in a real dilema here. I have been having "pre-labor" for almost a week now and am getting seriously burned out. I have not slept much at all for the last 3 nights. Contractions have been starting and stopping, starting and stopping for days and days. I am feeling exhausted and emotionally drained.

I spoke to my doc today and she has offered to get me going tomorrow morning with Prostaglandin (sp?) gel applied to my cervix. She says it is a very mild inducer and mimics the natural onset of labor very closely. I absolutely do not want any pitocin or anything else of that nature after the experieince I had with it last time. She assures me that the gel is much more gentle and will ease me into labor.

On the one hand, I don't really want to start out my labor with this intervention, even if it is "mild." But on the other hand, I am getting so drained from all these starts and stops and no sleep that I am afriad I will not be able to cope if I just keep going like this.

I am so torn right now - I guess I just need some reassurance that I am not giving up if I go through with this tomorrow. I don't want to be disappointed in myself for not letting things happen on their own, but I also have to be realistic about how much more of this I can handle.

#3 ·
Well Laurag I have heard that the gel is much worse then pitocin by IV!! Because once they put the gel on your cervix - there is NO way how to control the contractions if they get VERY strong and painful and your baby can get LOTS of stress and you end up at c-section in no time!! With IV if the contractions get bad they can always stop it!! So, please be careful!! Can you try some natural remedies to get your energy level up? Anything? Homepathy? Something?
good luck to you!!

#4 ·
Congratulations Wooby and Willow Tree!
Yea! Amazing stories! Are we having lots o' boys or what?

Well, had my midwife's appt today, and I'm only about a 1cm dilated, and I think she was being generous. I so thought I'd go early! Of course, if I don't go into labor by next Thursday, I have to have an ultrasound and a non-stress test. And if I still don't go into labor, she said they would probably induce on 8/27. Still no signs, really, except a little more pressure. I'm pushing (no pun intended!) for Monday 8/18 for my labor to start...please send me all the labor vibes you can spare! I would greatly appreciate it!

Thinking of you, laurag... that's a tough decision.

Labor vibes to all of us, darn it!

#5 ·
okay this is 6 days overdue mama talking.........but........

Annais, you are not even due yet? why do they want to do all those tests etc?????? and it is great they will let you go until 8/25 and 8/27 would be even better.

also laurag, i am sorry you are so uncomfortable and frustrated.....hang in there. i agree with pavalina on the gels. i have heard nightmares from members of ican, can i post your question for them. meanwhile natural stimulants i hear are:

balsamic vinegar, sex, walking, spicey food and nipple stimulation.

meanwhile my hospital called tonite to confirm surgery tomorrow, my clinic must have not let them know that i rescheduled four days ago for monday. she was starting to eplain what time i need to be there and how to fast and i told her i could not handle the phone call and needed them to call back sunday night. depressing!!

#6 ·
Laurag~Hang in there. I have alsoheard negs pn the gels/ So sorry for your dilemma. My dd (26 mos) is still nursing and I think that nipp stim really helped.
Annais~Sending labor vibes your way for Mon.

Kaje~Take care of yourself. Rest and meditate. I am thinking of you and hoping for your birth this weekend.

Dd is IN LOVE w/ our new ds. Maybe we spent too much time talking about him as "her" babe. She didn't want me to hold him today, only in her arms she said!

#7 ·
laurag--I had the same issues you did with my last pregnancy (prodromal labor) I didn't sleep for 4 days--the contractions would get really intense at night when i needed sleep, and then space out in the morning and afternoon when I felt so bombed I could only lie on the couch. I remember feeling really nervous that I wouldn't make it through my REAL labor. I totally feel for you right now.

What I would suggest to you is to try some Calcium-magnesium powder (3:1 ratio) it can help slow you down so you can get some real rest. An acupuncture session, encouraged by my midwife, was also amazing. It stopped the contractions completely for several hours so I could get some sleep, and it gave me enough energy to really get my body swinging into active labor.

So what I'm trying to say is this: instead of hurrying to bring the labor on and ending this painful purgatory, maybe the solution is to take one step back before you can make the great leap forward.

Also, I have to note that I went on to have a fairly long labor--20 hours officially--and even though I thought I'd be wasted and tired out, I always found some more strength to draw on, somewhere, somehow. So don't get too worried that you won't have what it takes at the crucial time---it will be there for you.

#8 ·
I just got off the phone with my doula and she is going to come over and do some massage/accupressure to try to get things moving for me. I hope it works so I don't have to face this decision in the morning. Thanks for all your support and input. I am not sure what I am going to do yet, but maybe I will get lucky and not even have to decide.

#10 ·
congrats to the new mamas!

welcome to the new babies!

hugs and well wishes to those who are meeting these little obstacles. like i said, my brush with naysayers was minimal, but it was a huge pain in the ass.. so i really feel for you (tho can't even comprehend i'm sure).. stay confident and keep your mind on the goal (your sweet babies who you will love and love and love on very soon!) and try not to get pulled down by ignorant people and their scare tactics.. you are godesses! you can birth your precious babies!

as for me, not much happening.. tho i had LOTS of (i guess?) cervical pain that kept me up for a few hours.. random sharp pains down below.. but they've pretty much disappeared today.

#11 ·
kaje - you know, I keep forgetting that my due date is today, so I won't officially be overdue until tomorrow! But the thought of looming tests is stressing me out...oh well, I think I need to get over it! It will happen when it happens. I'll send you lots of labor vibes this weekend so that Monday won't even be an issue for you

laurag - I hope the accupressure and massage helped!

Thanks for the labor vibes, Wooby
They are greatly appreciated! Congratulations again on your beautiful son!

#13 ·
Laurag,
hope you are feeling better after the session with your midwife! I can relate, I had 3 days of painful pre-labour, contractions coming off n on, painful... I cld not sit, stand, eat, or lay down in peace, I was really on the verge of tears!

Anyway, I think halah is right, try to relax. Maybe try drinking some "tension tamer" tea?
I know I tried to hurry to the birthing center after those 3 days, n guess what- contrxtions stopped!!! Then it came off n on, but never close n strong enough to bring me to full dilation (was stuck at 8cm), n in the end, they transferred me to the hospital for PITOCIN!!

It sounds difficult, but try to REST n RELAX asap. Try talking to your baby..... thinking of you n sending good thots.

Kaje too! I'm thinking of you and sending all the best vibes!!

Congrats to Wooby!! Do we have the birth story somewhere??

Take care, all mums in waiting!!

#15 ·
Sending powerful smooth birth vibes to you all!

Kaje~We finally named our baby boy: Ethan!

User Name, Labor news:
traixa2, we are waiting for an update
Laurag induced 8/18, labor vibes to you
kaje62 c/s 8/18 if no labor this weekend, keep fingers crossed
mavis, induced 8/20

User Name, Arrival Date, Other info: Seagan, Leo George 7/9, 5 lbs3oz
Colorful Mama, Roman Thomas, vbac 7/24, 7lbs2.2oz, 19.5" long
Birdwomyn, Samuel James Bird, 7/25, 6lbs3ozs, 19.25" long
Nostrow, Annika Paige, 7/30, 6lbs14oz, 19" long
Willow Tree, River, 8/6, 8lbs4 oz
Sharon, Elena, 8/8, Birth Center Birth, 8lbs3.5oz., 19.75" long
JulieM, Nicholas Julien, 8/9 Home waterbirth, 8lbs8oz, 21" long
Smeta, Quinncy Eiden , 8/11, no time for tub, 7 lbs3 oz., 20" long
Luckymomma, Travis Allan, Hospital VBAC 8/11, 8lbs2oz, 21" long
Mamasoleil, Samson, 8/12, home waterbirth
Wooby, Ethan, 8/13, Homebirth, 6 lbs9oz and 19" long

User Name, Due date, Other info:
traixa2-Aug. 4 CNM attended hosp. birth
TLS-Aug. 6 Hospital Birth w/ CNM and Doula
Kaje62-Aug. 8 Hospital VBAC w/ medwives and a doula
Mavis-Aug. 9 Happy Hospital Birth
natesmommy126-Aug. 10
laurag-Aug. 11
Emah-Aug. 11
maizy-Aug. 13
Annais-Aug. 15 Hospital Birth w/ midwives
AlohaDeb-Aug. 15, midwives
JuicyLucy-Aug. 15
ApMommaof5-Aug. 16
Tnrsmom-Aug. 17 Home Waterbirth
RachelMolly Aug. 17 Homebirth
Kate42-Aug. 17
Lilg127-Aug. 21
Isaiah's Mama- Aug. 21
Mamabeard-Aug. 23 Homebirth
Pavlina-Aug. 24 Homebirth
Dreamweaver-Aug. 24 home waterbirth
mpls_momma-Aug. 24 Home waterbirth
phathui5- Aug. 28, birth center w/midwives
Chanley-Aug. 29
skye's mama-Aug. 29

#16 ·
Hi all- not officially an August mama- but the sis-in-law of one. Looks like laurag had to go to the hospital this morning for the gel. Guess the acupuncture and massage didn't do enough. I just hope it helped her relax enough to have the strength to get through. Maybe you all can send good vibes for her to get through this labor well! Thanks all!

#17 ·
Well, I've been very stressed out and depressed. That's why I haven't been on for a while. My mom who was going to watch DD when the baby comes is going out of town today until Sunday, 5 hours away. I really don't have a good back up. So yesterday I had a meltdown because I was never supposed to go this late and now any plans I have had are ruined.

Today I had an appointment. My blood pressure is high and there is protein in my urine. I also had a non stress test which was actually ok. I was given the option to try the gel today and then possibly have my water broken if nothing happens. Otherwise I have to lay horizontally all weekend and go in on Monday for a biorhythm test and another non stress test. I will have to be induced on Wednesday for sure if nothing happens by then because that is my 42nd week. After talking to my doula, mom, husband etc. we decided to try the gel today. What was going to be so nice about that is my SIL (and doula)'s mom is a labor and delivery nurse and would be working tonight. I really wanted her as my nurse. Well the hospital is unable to take me today because they don't have enough rooms or nurses available for an induction. Now I need to decide if I want to have the gel tomorrow morning or wait until Monday's tests and see what happens. I won't be able to have SIL's mom as my nurse now because she doesn't work until next week after tonight. My mom will be going out of town now so my BIL will be watching DD. My fear was that I'd go into labor overnight and he's have a hard time with DD since he has a 2 year old as well to watch. As of now, my decision is to go in tomorrow morning for the gel. At least I have BIL for sure to watch DD and it won't be overnight. I can't imagine being in bed all weekend. So that is what is happening so far. I don't want to be a downer, but I'm just frustrated and depressed.

#18 ·
Sophia's Here!

Had cervidil placed at 9am on Weds. Contrax started by 11 am, painful by 11:30. Was hooked to the monitors (fetal and contrax). Medwife who was on at the time had me freaking out a little, as the babys heartrate went down abit with each contrax (stayed above 125 though). The medwife went off at noon, then the awesome Midwife came on, and truely was "with woman" through the rest of my labor. Labored all afternoon, 5pm came and contrax were really getting painful. Checked me and I was only 3-4cm. I was very discouraged, my best girlfriend and my midwife really helped, saying I had made progress, etc...
Cont laboring 9:30pm I was miserable, asked for pain meds, had a shot of stadol, helped for 3 contrax, my midwife checked me, was now only 5cm, broke down, cried begged her to do something,she offered to break my water, I said yes. When she broke my water no fluid come out, she said Good your baby is really low down. It was about 10:20 by this time, contrax came on really strong and fast, begged for more pain meds, my midwife breathed with me through the next 15 minutes until I could get another shot....right after the shot, which didn't even touch the pain, I really started to loose it (I was so discouraged, I thought I would be laboring for a few more hours with as slowly I was progressing). My midwife offered to check me again, I said OK, when she looked I heard her say Babes coming now! She was as surprised as I was! My body really took over and I pushed. Sophia was born 11:06 pm, Sunny-side-up (that's why It really hurt, and took so long to progress, she was not in a good position). I really think the decision to use cervidil was right for the circumstances, I really don't hink Sophia would have decended enough on her own to start labor, and there really was not much amniotic fluid at all, no gush even when she was born. She had No vernix at all either.

See some pictures
www.traixa.freeshell.org/sophia

Am home now,and really tired, but very happy. Oh. I only had 1 small tear,no stiches. I think if the medwife had been on the entire labor, I would have had more interventions, and would have been left on my own and not supported as I was with the other woman.

#20 ·
welcome Sohpia, congratulations mama

tls, you are in my thoughts.
doulasarah wants you to call her!!!

I cancelled my c-section for Monday once again today and rescheduled it for Friday, 22nd which will make me 42 weeks. All my test including the non stress were great today. I think my bp was 162/92.

#21 ·
Kaje62, so glad to hear that!

I may or may not be in labor! (You'd think with the 2nd one I would know immediately, right? Nope!) Been having ctx since 5am this morning, but they are quite short (30 seconds) and pretty far apart (12 minutes between them). This has been going on all day though... I hope this is it and it doesn't stall out!!!

Well, I'm heading to bed early so I can rest just in case this really is labor. Wish me luck!

--Deb

#22 ·
Congratulations Wooby!!!!

Quote:
This homebirth has already healed so many wounds from dd's birth. I feel powerful!
I *so* hear you there, that's how I feel....I can't stop smiling when I remember the birth!!!!
And as for your dd, my dd has also not stopped holding Samson, she holds him more than I do!!!!!

Willow Tree~ Congratulations to you too!!! What a beautiful name! I tried for Zion, but unfortunately, dh did not feel the same way...but I have to say, Samson fits my little redhead nicely!!!
Kaje~YAY, so happy you rescheduled, gives you more time to have your VBAC!!!I think of you everyday.

Traixa~Congrats to you too!!!!!Welcome little Sophia! I"m sorry you had some frustration in your labour though...but now you have your little one to snuggle with!!!!

((((TLS))))You will make the right decision for yourself. Sending you lots of positive labour vibes!!!!
A little off topic, but I have to say how much I LOVE my sling...I hope you all have one!!!!

I have my babyshower today...so everyone gets to meet Sammy!
Did any of you get affected by the loss of hydro????We sure did!!!
That's why I haven't been here!
Mamasoleil/samson

#23 ·
kaje, glad to hear your NST was great, and resched your Csect. You know what your body needs! You are strong to stick up for yourself!

Mamasoliel, what kind of sling do you have? I want to get a new native baby sling, but have a maya wrap on loan from a friend.

Hope to hear more great birthing stories soon.
Kate

#24 ·
Well we went to the hospital today and had the gel. I laid down for 2 hours with it in and then walked around for about an hour and a half. No contractions so we went home. I have an appt on Monday for an ultrasound and non stress test, so we'll go to that but I have been told I will be induced on Wednesday, when I'll be 42 weeks, if nothing has happened by then. We're not going to do anything else before that. I'm currently 3 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Maybe something will happen soon.

#25 ·
Traixa~I have a heart2heart sling, I love it. But I do have a new native carrier, you can have if you want. I'm not going to be using it.PM me if you want, and give me your address, I'll send it to you.
TLS~I'm thinking of you sister, sounds to me like your babe wants to come on her/his own terms. You're already 3cms,,,that's GREAT!

Mamasoleil

#26 ·
Hi Everyone!
I gave birth to Benjamin Wallace at 8:28 pm Friday Aug 15th. He is perfect and beautiful in every way.

As most of you know, our ultrasound said we were having a girl so we are very excited and surprised to welcome this little boy to the world.

I will post more later, but in a nutshell I was given an application of Prostaglandin gel at 12:30pm and labor started about 1:30. It was a smooth start and everything went beautifully. No interventions after the initial gel treatment. It was a wonderful birth experience.

When I was pushing him out I growled and roared like a lioness - my throat is still hoarse. I have never felt so strong!

Hugs to you all for your support and best wished for your labors to come!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.